F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) > Horner in trouble at Red Bull
Studio RSR

03-20-2024, 04:12 AM   #947
Sneaky Pete
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post

There were plenty of drivers in F1. Hamilton is one of the very best. Those passionate about F1 failing to acknowledge this, are delusional. Hamilton is currently in wintertime of his career (°1985). Verstappen (°1997) is still in summertime. Hopefully Hamilton's move to Ferrari in 2025 at the age of 40 won't be like Schumacher's comeback at the age of 41 at Mercedes (P9 2010 | P8 2011 | P12 2013).

As commented before, I'd like to see Verstappen move from currently arguably the best car on the grid (RB20) to a Mercedes-AMG car (W15), to show everyone what he can squeeze out of that car and that - also out of his comfort zone - he's worth his salt.
Good post...one where its not necessary to reduce one drivers brilliance in order to enhance another.

Its true Hamilton in 2007 landed in a front winning team and if McLaren had backed one driver, either of them would have won the Championship.
Alonso was incensed that he didn't get #1 driver status as he felt he deserved (or was actually promised by Ron).
Trying to blackmail Ron Dennis into giving him #1 status in the team was a bad mistake...Alonsos single biggest handicap was his mouth, he just didn't know when to keep it shut all though his career.

I don't think you will ever see Verstappen in any team with a highly talented team mate being allowed to compete on equal terms.
Jos knows from his time with Schumacher at Benneton how a team needs to be set up in order to showcase one driver....and isn't by having a team mate who might turn out to be faster. It wouldn't make any sense to risk Max Verstappen's reputation.

Finally struggling to believe some are still trying to make out that Senna was in some way to blame for his own death.
The team cut and welded the steering column...how much torsional force could one person apply to a steering column that could snap a properly made weld!...seriously?

Last edited by Sneaky Pete; 03-20-2024 at 05:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 04:39 AM   #948
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

MAX is remaining at RBR until 2028 and possibly beyond.
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2024, 04:53 AM   #949
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
MAX is remaining at RBR until 2028 and possibly beyond.
Yesterday sim racers asked Verstappen a couple of questions. Verstappen was asked "whether there is news regarding Mercedes". Verstappen replied with some hesitation or distraction: "There is no news. I mean, contract with the Red Bull, ha". A sim racer responded teasingly: "That didn't sound very convincing". Verstappen reacted firmly: "What do you mean?" and laughed.

00:05 - 00:23:
https://www.tiktok.com/@biancavanelt...52841033485601
      03-20-2024, 05:34 AM   #950
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Yesterday sim racers asked Verstappen a couple of questions. Verstappen was asked "whether there is news regarding Mercedes". Verstappen replied with some hesitation or distraction: "There is no news. I mean, contract with the Red Bull, ha". A sim racer responded teasingly: "That didn't sound very convincing". Verstappen reacted firmly: "What do you mean?" and laughed.

00:05 - 00:23:
https://www.tiktok.com/@biancavanelt...52841033485601
Pub talk with the lads
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2024, 06:30 AM   #951
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete View Post
Finally struggling to believe some are still trying to make out that Senna was in some way to blame for his own death.
The team cut and welded the steering column...how much torsional force could one person apply to a steering column that could snap a properly made weld!...seriously?
It doesn't matter anymore. We will never know for sure the cause or, multifactorial, the cluster of causes of Senna's Imola crash. Neither will he.

But we do know for sure that, in the grand scheme of things, Senna was one hell of an F1 ace who managed to mesmerize lots of F1 aficionados (including yours truly) with his on-track action, that he's dearly missed and that safety has improved ever since his fatal accident.

An aspect often overlooked when comparing Senna to modern-day F1 drivers like Alonso, Vettel, Hamilton and Verstappen: Senna had to operate 3 pedals and a stick shift most of his career, requiring more dexterity than 2 pedals and 2 gear shift paddles. Both hands and feet dancing around - the driver's seat as a workplace with more mechanics than electronics at play (Ferrari introduced the concept of a paddle-shifted transmission on their Ferrari Type 640 at the 1989 Brazil GP; by 1992 most teams favored paddles; by 1996 all teams shifted to paddles).

On-board with Senna (POV):
  • Senna - Monaco 1990: here;
  • Senna - Kyalami 1992: here;
  • Senna - Suzuka 1989 - 1991 - 1993: here.
1991 Brazil GP: Senna was leading the race but his transmission started failing. He lost 3rd, 4th and eventually 5th gear towards the end of the race. He was forced to drive the final stages of the race stuck in 6th gear. Rain in the final two laps further endangered his race win. He still managed to win the Interlagos race almost 3s clear of Patrese. After the race he had to be assisted in getting out of his car (way more demanding than Verstappen experiencing heavy cramps in the right leg throughout the whole final lap of the F1 2021 Abu Dhabi race).
See from 42:25 onwards: here (49:05: Senna's race win primal scream | 51:30: knackered after the race | 54:35: like a ghost on the podium).
M5Rick60818.50
      03-20-2024, 07:06 AM   #952
Marcoose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 sDrive35is

Quote:
+1. That’s crazy talk.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 07:12 AM   #953
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

You guys read too much click bait!!!!
Appreciate 2
M5Rick60818.50
      03-20-2024, 07:15 AM   #954
Marcoose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
An aspect often overlooked when comparing Senna to modern-day F1 drivers like Alonso, Vettel, Hamilton and Verstappen: Senna had to operate 3 pedals and a stick shift most of his career, requiring more dexterity than 2 pedals and 2 gear shift paddles. Both hands and feet dancing around - the driver's seat as a workplace with more mechanics than electronics at play (Ferrari introduced the concept of a paddle-shifted transmission on their Ferrari Type 640 at the 1989 Brazil GP; by 1992 most teams favored paddles; by 1996 all teams shifted to paddles).
Why it’s impossible to compare drivers across generations. H-pattern vs paddle shifter is just one. Engine, fuel, tyre, aerodynamics, size and weight of car, regulations, feeder series, budgets, travel, number of races, sizes of teams, onboard aids and controls, etc, etc, etc. Fangio and Verstappen would’ve struggled in each other’s times.
Appreciate 3
3798j11540.50
MontyB11416.00
Artemis29652.00
      03-20-2024, 09:10 AM   #955
Sneaky Pete
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcoose View Post
Why it’s impossible to compare drivers across generations. H-pattern vs paddle shifter is just one. Engine, fuel, tyre, aerodynamics, size and weight of car, regulations, feeder series, budgets, travel, number of races, sizes of teams, onboard aids and controls, etc, etc, etc. Fangio and Verstappen would’ve struggled in each other’s times.
The onboard videos of Senna driving at Monaco are mesmerising...the workload looks so much higher than you see in current F1 racecars.
BMWs in qualifying trim were pushing out >1400 bhp with a near vertical power curve.
Appreciate 1
Artemis29652.00
      03-20-2024, 09:42 AM   #956
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
+1. That’s crazy talk.
Pretty good summary from a fairly reliable source. Article discusses both theoretical causes of the accident.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ning-innocence
Appreciate 2
M5Rick60818.50
      03-20-2024, 10:15 AM   #957
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
The onboard videos of Senna driving at Monaco are mesmerising...the workload looks so much higher than you see in current F1 racecars.
BMWs in qualifying trim were pushing out >1400 bhp with a near vertical power curve.
Today is more about subtle behaviour than some of the more aggressive driving. If you have ever watched Senna he drove prodding the throttle when he went around a corner provoking instability almost unique to other drivers. Today's fragile tyres would be toast with the same style, could he adapt, maybe but it shows that not all styles and eras match.

Today if you go around a corner and cook a tyre on just one corner then the lap after that is gone, that was never the case in the past. He was a unique talent but as with any driver sometimes they are good in their time and don't cross eras as well. Mind you he was fit compared to other drivers but today they are crazy fit in comparison.
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2024, 10:45 AM   #958
Marcoose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killed by Death View Post
Pretty good summary from a fairly reliable source. Article discusses both theoretical causes of the accident.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ning-innocence
First time I hear of a Matt Hill. Whilst he may be reliable, given your streak of utterly inventive posts, better pass on stuff you deem credible.
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2024, 10:54 AM   #959
Marcoose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB1 View Post
Today's fragile tyres would be toast with the same style
And tyres, again, it’s just one of the dozens and dozens of features that changed with the generations. Remember the grooved tyres that Schumacher won dozens of races with ? Very different from today’s 5 compounds. And refuelling that helped Piquet pick up precious points and wins ? Gone.

Vertstappen, though an incredible driver, maybe would or maybe not excel with yesteryear’s features. So far the only driver that has shown talent throughout changes is Alonso. Sadly, as mentioned above, his mouth is equally talented. (Sarcasm)
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 11:32 AM   #960
Sneaky Pete
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Today is more about subtle behaviour than some of the more aggressive driving. If you have ever watched Senna he drove prodding the throttle when he went around a corner provoking instability almost unique to other drivers. Today's fragile tyres would be toast with the same style, could he adapt, maybe but it shows that not all styles and eras match.

Today if you go around a corner and cook a tyre on just one corner then the lap after that is gone, that was never the case in the past. He was a unique talent but as with any driver sometimes they are good in their time and don't cross eras as well. Mind you he was fit compared to other drivers but today they are crazy fit in comparison.
I can't think of any reason why Senna would not be able to adapt perfectly well to a current F1 car.
Sure if you went back in time and transported him to now and stuck him any F1 car it would be a steep learning curve....nothing any fairly smart driver couldn't adapt to fairly quickly.
Heh I sound like a proper fan...I really wasn't.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 11:49 AM   #961
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
First time I hear of a Matt Hill. Whilst he may be reliable, given your streak of utterly inventive posts, better pass on stuff you deem credible.

"Utterly inventive posts"...Whatever...Not my fault you have no sense of humor or take things too seriously.

Did you even read the article? It simply presents 2 theories on the accident and makes no judgement to which one is correct.

Last edited by Killed by Death; 03-20-2024 at 02:32 PM..
Appreciate 2
M5Rick60818.50
      03-20-2024, 11:50 AM   #962
M5Rick
General
Rep

Ben Sulayem has been cleared by an independent investigation of interference in two separate incidents last year.
https://racingnews365.com/fia-presid...dict-delivered
Appreciate 3
      03-20-2024, 12:00 PM   #963
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
I can't think of any reason why Senna would not be able to adapt perfectly well to a current F1 car.
Sure if you went back in time and transported him to now and stuck him any F1 car it would be a steep learning curve....nothing any fairly smart driver couldn't adapt to fairly quickly.
Heh I sound like a proper fan...I really wasn't.
I think he could, but ironically I think someone like Mansell and his rather brutish style might not be one that would adapt so well especially as he was much older when he got his F1 championship.

Anyway, I hear Horner wants to leave for another role now, back to the click bait!!
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2024, 02:23 PM   #964
Artemis
Rep

Quote:

Tapping/stabbing the throttle to optimize overall speed through the corners:

minn1914061.50
      03-20-2024, 02:34 PM   #965
Marcoose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Adapt is one thing. Win is another. Senna was a great driver. But his skills perfectly matched the regulations and technologies of the time. We saw how Schumacher struggled with just one car after his winning cars. The planets must be aligned in terms of skills, health, regulations, technology, money and luck in order for the wins and championships to come. Senna fan here.
      03-20-2024, 03:26 PM   #966
Andrew2
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M2 OG DCT

[QUOTE=Artemis;31003479]Tapping/stabbing the throttle to optimize overall speed through the corners:

Is Senna in the same gear as Palmer when he is stabbing the throttle ?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 03:50 PM   #967
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
43 pages of this.

I don't care what happens, I would just like it to happen. lol
12-minute summary:

03-20-2024, 04:04 PM   #968
Autobacs
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X6M

Garage List
Quote:
Good post...one where its not necessary to reduce one drivers brilliance in order to enhance another.

Its true Hamilton in 2007 landed in a front winning team and if McLaren had backed one driver, either of them would have won the Championship.
Alonso was incensed that he didn't get #1 driver status as he felt he deserved (or was actually promised by Ron).
Trying to blackmail Ron Dennis into giving him #1 status in the team was a bad mistake...Alonsos single biggest handicap was his mouth, he just didn't know when to keep it shut all though his career.

I don't think you will ever see Verstappen in any team with a highly talented team mate being allowed to compete on equal terms.
Jos knows from his time with Schumacher at Benneton how a team needs to be set up in order to showcase one driver....and isn't by having a team mate who might turn out to be faster. It wouldn't make any sense to risk Max Verstappen's reputation.

Alonso's mouth is by no means a handicap and is an asset to F1. F1 would be boring without Alonso's brash honesty.

I don't doubt one bit that Max is not the least worried about having a team mate who might be faster. I think Hamilton was when Nico retired, thus Bottas.
Appreciate 1