F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > DIY: F30 F31 Power Folding auto dimming & dipping mirrors
ARMA SPEED

02-05-2024, 01:48 PM   #111
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i N26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Court View Post
Hey Chaps,

Interesting read to resolving the final issues. I done this mod a while ago, but I also have the following error.

90D06 switch block on driver's door: wrong version installed

How exactly did you get over this? Also does you heated mirrors work correctly?
I have bimmercode but my usual method of coding the car with a laptop and win7 is not available anymore.

Many Thanks in Advance
I used Bimmercode in "Expert" mode.

After the DIY, I am not using the OEM mirrors that come with heater and dimming glass. Instead using an aftermarket mirror glass that has heater only, but a wider view.

What was your car before the DIY? 5-pin or 6-pin?

I assume your car has a 5-pin 'High" now with the "High" driver master switch with folding button. What is your PF_SZT_LIN_VAR set to? (Go to "expert" mode in Bimmercode and do a search)

What is your factory FA/VO and current FA/VO as far as 430 and 431??

Last edited by fe7565; 02-05-2024 at 08:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 05:21 AM   #112
Court
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 2016 335xD (Current)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fe7565 View Post
I used Bimmercode in "Expert" mode.

After the DIY, I am not using the OEM mirrors that come with heater and dimming glass. Instead using an aftermarket mirror glass that has heater only, but a wider view.

What was your car before the DIY? 5-pin or 6-pin?

I assume your car has a 5-pin 'High" now with the "High" driver master switch with folding button. What is your PF_SZT_LIN_VAR set to? (Go to "expert" mode in Bimmercode and do a search)

What is your factory FA/VO and current FA/VO as far as 430 and 431??
Thnx for coming back to me on this. I originally had the 6 pin setup. I brought new units and drivers door switches which was the 5 pin.

I can’t remember the FA/VO of the top of my head but I think it was 432 as I have rain sensor. I’ll have to redownload the FA/VO options again.

I’ll search the code above this evening to see what I have set. 👍🏽
      02-07-2024, 01:17 PM   #113
Court
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

fe7565

It looks like I’m set to SZT_LOW_4FACH_FH_RL

I have VO 430 & 431
      02-07-2024, 01:54 PM   #114
mrpingu
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2018 F48 X1 xDrive 18D

Garage List
Quote:
fe7565

I have VO 430 & 431
Try to find a value that looks most like that but with szt_high. Moving from 6-pin to 5-pin means definitely high version.

Try SZT_HIGH_4FACH_FH_SPA

Low = 6 pin
High = 5-pin over lin

2fach / 4fach = number of doors installed

Unsure about the following but I think
LL / RL =LHD/RHD, but this is not relevant anymore as communication goes to LIN bus for HIGH variant.

Unsure about SPA but we think it’s the dimming part.
FH I think is Memory seats driver(From German Word fahrer)
Appreciate 2
fe7565611.00
Court7.50
      02-07-2024, 06:11 PM   #115
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
fe7565

I have VO 430 & 431
Yes, as mrpingu said, yours is still set to “low”, which is the 6-pin. That will definitely throw an error code for your switch.

But it’s also important to get the rest of that value correctly, like he said, or you end up with an error like I did, even though mine was already set to “high”.

You could either do an FDL code or a VO code. It’s probably better to do an FDL code because it’s a retrofit and mixed original equipment with retrofit that was not part of a factory set up.
      02-10-2024, 07:20 AM   #116
Court
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

mrpingu and fe7565 Thank you gents! 👍🏽

Changed the code and the driver door error has gone and the heated mirror works as well!

Happy days! 🥳
      02-10-2024, 07:11 PM   #117
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
mrpingu and fe7565 Thank you gents! ����

Changed the code and the driver door error has gone and the heated mirror works as well!

Happy days! ��
Glad to hear! What was your final code that worked?

mrpingu is the person to really thank, he helped me on my issues and I just repeated that.
      02-11-2024, 04:52 PM   #118
mrpingu
Captain
Norway
Rep

Garage List
You’re welcome
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2024, 02:13 AM   #119
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Disregard . Sorry, mixed up the threads

Last edited by fe7565; 05-15-2024 at 02:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2024, 03:45 PM   #120
knoxville666x
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I 2013

I did mine as Wibbles posted and the rear-view mirror folding via the car key worked normally.
but internally via the FOLD button on the switch it still doesn't work, is coding the error?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2024, 12:45 PM   #121
Ducatirocks
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30e

Hi fellows,

Here comes one odd coding experience again.. With odd questions ofcourse 🙈 (please read and give comment. And sorry about my bad english).

My goal was to retrofit folding mirrors to G01 (close enough f series cars) and I think I succeeded in this more or less.

Background:

I bought dismantled wing mirrors and door button panel (with folding button)...

LH mirror into my LHD car was plug and play. Folding button at door switch panel wasn't work until I coded it (more later about codings).

RH mirror was originally from RHD car and it didn't fit even mechanically. Mirrors fixing srews didn't match to holes at the door.

Codings:

I bouhgt a protool and I coded (VO) folding mirrors with option code 430 to car. I added only 430 to excisting VO list and i didn't touch to any other options. Just before coding starts protool did warn this coding will effect to following 9 control units and ask if I want to code (factory code) those units. I did choose to re-code all those units.

CLUSTER [KOMBI]
IHKA_GOS [IHKA]
ELECTRIC STEERING [EPS]
SPECIAL EQUIPMENT [SAS/AD_PP]
STABILITY CONTROL [DSC]
AIRBAG [AIRBAG]
AUDIO RECIEVER [AMP]
RADIO SYSTEM [HEADUNIT]
BDC MODULE [CAS]

This was my first coding and I'm not sure what happend. Left mirror is now fine but something else went so wrong..

After coding, at least:

1) Earlier retrofitted Speed limit information SLI (remote NFC + coding) disappeard.

2) My Grey car changed brown in some idrive and cluster icons/pictures. (I Don't know where protool invent this brown colour??)

3) Hifi sounds changed to entry level sounds.

4) Sport button (not lever) do not turn sport mode on any more. Engine temperature gauge appear when pushing sport button but engine will not start.

5) maybe there are some other ghost changes but probably I haven't noticed all yet.

After the after shock of VO coding:

As I saved backups for all those control units just before VO coding I decided to revert those units back to states before VO coding.

I have allready reverted back these control units with these results:

CLUSTER [KOMBI] -> Sli came back, car has now right colours at cluster.
IHKA_GOS [IHKA] -> No visible changes.
AUDIO RECIEVER [AMP] -> Hifi sounds came back.
RADIO SYSTEM [HEADUNIT] - Car colurs at idrive changed back to my cars actual colous.

These units is to be reverted back in following days:

ELECTRIC STEERING [EPS]
STABILITY CONTROL [DSC]
AIRBAG [AIRBAG]
BDC MODULE [CAS]

QUESTIONS:

1) Overal, why protool wants to code all those control units for to get folding mirrors (option 430) active? I don't understand why and how folding mirrors affects to all those units or vice versa? Some of these are quite predictable but not all. For example why and how folding mirrors are in connection with electric steering, stability control or airbag?

2) As I Will revert back all coded control units and I will FDL code only neccessery control units I need to know what FDL codings I need to do and for which control units?

3) I may solve question 2) if I can compare original and VO coded FDL lists of individual control units. So how to compare original and coded. ncd files? Is it possible to compare ncd files with ms word's compare function etc.

Appreciate all guidance!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2024, 02:25 PM   #122
mrpingu
Captain
Norway
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducatirocks View Post
Hi fellows,

Here comes one odd coding experience again.. With odd questions ofcourse 🙈 (please read and give comment. And sorry about my bad english).

My goal was to retrofit folding mirrors to G01 (close enough f series cars) and I think I succeeded in this more or less.

Background:

I bought dismantled wing mirrors and door button panel (with folding button)...

LH mirror into my LHD car was plug and play. Folding button at door switch panel wasn't work until I coded it (more later about codings).

RH mirror was originally from RHD car and it didn't fit even mechanically. Mirrors fixing srews didn't match to holes at the door.

Codings:

I bouhgt a protool and I coded (VO) folding mirrors with option code 430 to car. I added only 430 to excisting VO list and i didn't touch to any other options. Just before coding starts protool did warn this coding will effect to following 9 control units and ask if I want to code (factory code) those units. I did choose to re-code all those units.

CLUSTER [KOMBI]
IHKA_GOS [IHKA]
ELECTRIC STEERING [EPS]
STABILITY CONTROL [DSC]
AIRBAG [AIRBAG]
AUDIO RECIEVER [AMP]
RADIO SYSTEM [HEADUNIT]
BDC MODULE [CAS]

This was my first coding and I'm not sure what happend. Left mirror is now fine but something else went so wrong..

After coding, at least:

1) Earlier retrofitted Speed limit information SLI (remote NFC + coding) disappeard.

2) My Grey car changed brown in some idrive and cluster icons/pictures. (I Don't know where protool invent this brown colour??)

3) Hifi sounds changed to entry level sounds.

4) Sport button (not lever) do not turn sport mode on any more. Engine temperature gauge appear when pushing sport button but engine will not start.

5) maybe there are some other ghost changes but probably I haven't noticed all yet.

After the after shock of VO coding:

As I saved backups for all those control units just before VO coding I decided to revert those units back to states before VO coding.

I have allready reverted back these control units with these results:

CLUSTER [KOMBI] -> Sli came back, car has now right colours at cluster.
IHKA_GOS [IHKA] -> No visible changes.
AUDIO RECIEVER [AMP] -> Hifi sounds came back.
RADIO SYSTEM [HEADUNIT] - Car colurs at idrive changed back to my cars actual colous.

These units is to be reverted back in following days:

ELECTRIC STEERING [EPS]
STABILITY CONTROL [DSC]
AIRBAG [AIRBAG]
BDC MODULE [CAS]

QUESTIONS:

1) Overal, why protool wants to code all those control units for to get folding mirrors (option 430) active? I don't understand why and how folding mirrors affects to all those units or vice versa? Some of these are quite predictable but not all. For example why and how folding mirrors are in connection with electric steering, stability control or airbag?

2) As I Will revert back all coded control units and I will FDL code only neccessery control units I need to know what FDL codings I need to do and for which control units?

3) I may solve question 2) if I can compare original and VO coded FDL lists of individual control units. So how to compare original and coded. ncd files? Is it possible to compare ncd files with ms word's compare function etc.

Appreciate all guidance!

If options are not coded through VO-coding but by mere FDL-coding, these codings will gone. VO-coding goes through the VO-list and calculates every value based on this list. If you are missing SLI (8TH or 5AS) or HiFi (676) from the VO-list then VO coding calculates these values without these options .

1)
I cannot speak for the logic while it should code for example the amp and it sounds very weird. Maybe a bug in Protool or like I said your previous coding are not correctly saved in the VO.

2) BimmerUtility / E-sys Ultra has a SVT compare tool that does exactly this. Calculate the FDL values based on the VO list

3) BimmerUtility / E-sys Ultra can also do this, NCD compare. There is also an older free NCD compare tool floating arround. You cannot compare in word.
      09-19-2024, 11:37 AM   #123
Ducatirocks
Rep

Thanks so much mrpingu! 🙏

I Will try bimmerutility / E-sys ultra for calculating (&#129300 and compairing ncd files. Is it for PC or for cellphone?

Anyone has a clue where to find that free NCD compare tool?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2024, 12:16 AM   #124
mrpingu
Captain
Norway
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks so much mrpingu! 🙏

I Will try bimmerutility / E-sys ultra for calculating (&#129300 and compairing ncd files. Is it for PC or for cellphone?

Anyone has a clue where to find that free NCD compare tool?
It’s called NCD/CAFD tool v0.5.2
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2024, 12:03 PM   #125
Ducatirocks
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpingu View Post
It’s called NCD/CAFD tool v0.5.2
Big thanks again!

I am little bit afraid to VO coding now after my first VO coding and first impressions. So I prefer FDL codings until better opinions arises. So do you guys prefer VO codings over FDL codings and why, E.g. for folding mirrors or Lane Departure Wanrning codings?

Is the protool calculating FDLs from VO list or from FDLs of individual control units? If the calculating is done only with VO list, can I code only VO number itself to car and put needed FDLs to control units "manually" with "hands"?

As someone doubt my folding mirror coding problems may caused from earlier wrong coded SLI, should I revert all back and start with VO coding SLI first and mirrors after that?

Last edited by Ducatirocks; 09-21-2024 at 01:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2024, 01:47 PM   #126
mrpingu
Captain
Norway
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Big thanks again!

I am little bit afraid to VO coding now after my first VO coding and first impressions. So I prefer FDL codings until better opinions arises. So do you guys prefer VO codings over FDL codings and why, E.g. for folding mirrors or Lane Departure Wanrning codings?

Is the protool calculating FDLs from VO list or from FDLs of individual control units? If the calculating is done only with VO list, can I code only VO number itself to car and put needed FDLs to control units "manually" with "hands"?

As someone epäili my folding mirror coding problems may johtua from earlier wrong coded SLI, should I revert all back and start with VO coding SLI first and mirrors after that?

I prefer writing the VO to the VCM so I don’t get problems at the dealer with programming if they need to reprogram it. But I also do FDL codings manually because then I don’t loose my custom codings. But with one retrofit I experienced issues (5DP) then I just VO-coded the whole car to be sure. So I prefer to set the VO right and from there make adjustments/custom coding FDL.
My 322 Comfort Access retrofit I just calculated all changes by hand and FDL coded it. But again it is important to know what your “base” is. Some values are dependent on 2 options. For example steering wheel variant. It depends 5AS but also on 5DF. They both affect the same value. Fictional example
5AS=1
5DF=2
5AS AND 5DF =4

So make sure your base VO is correct when calculating FDL values.
So if your VO is without 8TH (SLI) and without 5AS then you need to calculate FDL values for both of them selected at the same time. If you selected only 5AS and only 8TH and calculate separately you might have values that don’t take both in to account.

This also answers your question how Protool calculates it: VO-coding does only take the VO-list into account, it resets all custom FDL.
In theory / for workings it doesn’t matter if you FDL or VO-code the car. The VO-codes represents a set of FDL values in the end.

To answer you last question, check your VO and if SLI and all your other retrofits are added to the VO-list. You don’t need to code SLI first. Just add both to VO-list and then VO-code everything or FDL if you want to do it manually but like I said I find it easier to have an up to date VO-coded car ao I can always reset all codings and get the car in working state as intended by BMW
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 05:43 PM   #127
knoxville666x
Rep

help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wibbles View Post
Hope this helps:

I did as you told me and the folding on the key works, but the control from the inside button still doesn't work.
what could it be? coding?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 05:51 PM   #128
knoxville666x
Rep

help

hello mr pingu after doing as wibbles did adding 3 pins etc the folding of the mirrors worked on the key.
but not internally via the control button, what could it be?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 05:52 PM   #129
knoxville666x
Rep

help

Quote:
You’re welcome
hello mr pingu after doing as wibbles did adding 3 pins etc the folding of the mirrors worked on the key.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:39 AM   #130
mrpingu
Captain
Norway
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxville666x View Post
Seems faulty Switch to me or something went wrong when bridging the on of the pins. Especially the LIN pin.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 06:06 AM   #131
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep
Drives: M3LR

Did you code option 430 and 431?
      Today, 01:37 PM   #132
knoxville666x
Rep

help

Quote:
Seems faulty Switch to me or something went wrong when bridging the on of the pins. Especially the LIN pin.

I did the multimeter test on the bridges and normal current was passing between the bridges. and the switch button lights up normally, you can see the ''RED ORANGE'' on it.
Appreciate 0