F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Need help diagnosing why my paddle shifters don't work
ARMA SPEED

04-05-2023, 03:49 PM   #1
Grateful_Newt
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 320i

Need help diagnosing why my paddle shifters don't work

I recently installed the legendary M Sport steering wheel in my 2015 320i. Retrofitted paddle shifters, retrofitted the wire that goes from #5 FEM to #3 SZL. Coded in paddle shifting with Protool.

Nothing.

I followed the video Brian from KIES Motorsports made about the wiring. The only difference in my particular wiring job, is that I had to splice a little extra wire in to make it long enough, so I've got two splices rather than just one. I followed every other step to the letter. Anyone ever had something like this?

Im thinking that maybe the resistance isn't right because of the extra splice? If not, maybe I should try replacing the wiring harness for my paddles inside the steering wheel? Kinda hit a wall on this project. Any and all helpful advise would be GREATLY appreciated, as I have not found a definitive answer by searching. Thanks y'all!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2023, 08:22 PM   #2
SpoolinAddict
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 335i Stage 2 BM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful_Newt View Post
I recently installed the legendary M Sport steering wheel in my 2015 320i. Retrofitted paddle shifters, retrofitted the wire that goes from #5 FEM to #3 SZL. Coded in paddle shifting with Protool.

Nothing.

I followed the video Brian from KIES Motorsports made about the wiring. The only difference in my particular wiring job, is that I had to splice a little extra wire in to make it long enough, so I've got two splices rather than just one. I followed every other step to the letter. Anyone ever had something like this?

Im thinking that maybe the resistance isn't right because of the extra splice? If not, maybe I should try replacing the wiring harness for my paddles inside the steering wheel? Kinda hit a wall on this project. Any and all helpful advise would be GREATLY appreciated, as I have not found a definitive answer by searching. Thanks y'all!
Maybe it's your wiring, re do it and try again. Is the wires the same or similar size?

And have you coded them in bimmercode?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2023, 06:45 PM   #3
Grateful_Newt
Private
Rep

Yep. Did both. I ordered a new wiring harness for my steering wheel. There is a connector that looks broken. Will update after install.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2023, 11:09 AM   #4
mrpingu
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2018 F48 X1 xDrive 18D

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful_Newt View Post
Yep. Did both. I ordered a new wiring harness for my steering wheel. There is a connector that looks broken. Will update after install.
Did you try to measure resistance over the wire on both sides (SZL and FEM) that way you know if it is the wire you installed from FEM to SZL or in the wiring loom in the steering wheel itself.

I found the wiring loom in the steering wheel quite vulnerable as especially on the right side it was quite crammed
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2024, 03:19 PM   #5
Grateful_Newt
Private
Rep

About a month ago, I finally got around to taking the dash apart again to check my wiring job. I took the wire out, stripped, soldered, and heat shrink'd it. When I put it all back together and tested it out, to my surprise the left paddle was working, but it will only upshift. The right paddle does nothing. I coded the paddles in, and changed a few extra values that someone on this forum took from their own car that had F80 paddles installed and working. Still the same result. Upshifting from the left paddle, and nothing from the right.

Did I plug the paddles in backwards?

Or do I have to VO code 2TB in and remove 205?

Anyone know?
Appreciate 0