F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > EPS Steering rack repair kit did not work F32
GetBMWParts

05-14-2024, 07:07 PM   #1
F32B58
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i

EPS Steering rack repair kit did not work F32

Hi Everyone. First post here, I apologize if this was explained in the other threads regarding the steering rack thrust repair kit, but did not see any mention of the fix not working.

So I have a f32 440i with 86xxx km on it. In the last 5k a knocking sound developed over uneven roads and bumps, it was noticeable but not terrible. Then in the last month or two it got a quite worse.

Did my research and found out about the repair kit, so I installed it the other day, and unfortunately there has been no change at all to the symptoms. Initially we overtightened it and the steering was very stiff, however even at this point the knocking sound was still present. Ended up untightening it by 1/4 turn and the steering felt good, but again the knocking sound was there. It also makes the sound when turning the wheel L + R, so I am fairly certain its related to the steering rack.

Feeling quite down about it because I do not want to spend 5k on a new rack and labor, not that I can even afford that.

Anyone here experience this, is it that I somehow installed the new bushing wrong or is it something else unrelated to the rack?

Any input is appreciated!

p.s I am RHD car with M sport suspension.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2024, 10:25 PM   #2
mclovin69x
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
I had a similar issue and it turned out to be the swaybar and links being loose near the strut. I also did the steering rack repair and it didn’t fix it and it and I just tightened the sway bars and it fixed it.

I would recommend getting under the car and hitting the swaybar with a little bit of force to try and listen for any sounds also try and hit the end links if you don’t hear anything.

Most of the clunking noise is because of the sway bars.
Appreciate 0