F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > can't decide on my next mod... need motivation for decision
ARMA SPEED
View Poll Results: which mod should i do next?
full cat back exhaust w/ larger diameter exhaust tips, and rear diffuser/valance thing 5 41.67%
New LCI headlights with yellow DRL's 2 16.67%
save my money for more adult things... 5 41.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

05-14-2024, 07:51 PM   #1
rusty_sojah
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 440

can't decide on my next mod... need motivation for decision

i can't decide between full cat back exhaust and rear valance, or new LCI headlights with yellow DRL's....?

I already have a catless DP and stage 2 BM3 so the exhaust is already louder than stock. but new larger diameter tips, MOAR exhaust sound (valved), and rear valance seems like it would look pretty cool as well as sound cool. Estimated cost at around $2700 shipped.

On the flip side i absolutely love the look of the LCI DRL's, especially in yellow. but i won't get much enjoyment from seeing it and i already have cool pre-LCI bright ass stock DRL's that look purdy as well... Estimated cost around $3000 shipped.
      05-15-2024, 09:01 AM   #2
Dom147
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 228i, 2017 BMW M240i

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
I actually very much recommend keeping your stock midpipe and going with an axleback exhaust like remus. Removing the resonators when you're catless introduces a TON of rasp and it sounds kinda gross imo, keeping the resonators keeps the sounds very refined. I recommended remus since they are valved but feel free to go with anything you find.

M perfermance rear diffuser is def the way to go
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2024, 03:57 PM   #3
rusty_sojah
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom147 View Post
I actually very much recommend keeping your stock midpipe and going with an axleback exhaust like remus. Removing the resonators when you're catless introduces a TON of rasp and it sounds kinda gross imo, keeping the resonators keeps the sounds very refined. I recommended remus since they are valved but feel free to go with anything you find.

M perfermance rear diffuser is def the way to go
Thank you for this intel and that changes things for me. Here in Japan i would have to put the stock exhaust back on prior to my bi-annual inspection. I felt unsure how to put the axel back exhaust back in since it requires cutting and seemed pretty irreversible to me without welding etc. This is why i was leaning towards cat back. The exhaust i am looking at ordering presently from Cen-cal has the option for a resonated mid pipe vs non-resonated. The sound clips i heard sound really good, but i know that doesn't tell the full story. As long as when the valve is closed (i will call this wife mode; for when my wife is in the car with me or within ear shot) that it sounds muted like stock does presently, then I'm happy.

https://cencalmotorsport.com/products/f30-340i-b58-valved-catback-cencal?variant=46707454083378
Appreciate 1
Dom147118.00
      05-16-2024, 07:16 AM   #4
Oksamit78
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E39, F30 & F34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty_sojah View Post
I felt unsure how to put the axel back exhaust back in since it requires cutting and seemed pretty irreversible to me without welding etc.
Typically high quality aftermarket and OEM axel backs (muffler w/tips) do not require welding and use pipe clamp to connect to upstream midpipe (resonated or not) - no welding. This should make it fairly easy to switch back to OEM set-up in order to pass the inspection. If you go with OEM MPerf exhaust - you might not even need to switch back ever again as you could declare it as OEM upgrade. Worth to investigate local (Japan) rules on that?

As for what you are considering: https://cencalmotorsport.com/product...46707454083378, personally I'd stay away from that one as I'm not too confident in the spherical connections they employ around the exhaust tips/pipes. With thermal expansions and contractions and due to the weight of the pipe/tip on the right side (non-curb/driver side for Japan), I totally expect that side to be constantly requiring adjustment as it could be sagging down (pointing down) over time due to possible intermittent looseness at the spherical connection. Additionally, such connection won't restrict similar sagging (lesser extent) and spinning of the pipe/tip on the left side. By the way, some of the pics they have posted are confusing at first glance. Their name plate on the main barrel is meant to face the ground and valves/mounting hangers are supposed to be above the pipes/barrel. On some of the pics, the tips are not oriented correctly. This also kind of tells me that the supplier is average if not on low end of quality band as they do a not-so-good job advertising their own product.

Discoloration at the welds also tells me that they cheap out on shield gas at manufacture. The welds are overheated and Cr is depleted, the weld joints will start rusting fairly quick.

Just my 5c.
2017 F34 340i XDrive w/ M Sport Pack, Azure II /Black, B58B30M0, Dinan Stage 1

Last edited by Oksamit78; 05-16-2024 at 10:14 AM..
Appreciate 2
      05-16-2024, 08:09 AM   #5
Dom147
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 228i, 2017 BMW M240i

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oksamit78 View Post
Discoloration at the welds also tells me that they cheap out of shield gas at manufacture. The welds are overheated and Cr is depleted, the weld joints will start rusting fairly quick.

Just my 5c.
wow, good eye, brother, I've never considered looking at the welds to help determine the quality of the product.
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2024, 04:14 PM   #6
rusty_sojah
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom147 View Post
wow, good eye, brother, I've never considered looking at the welds to help determine the quality of the product.
I did notice the difference in the look and color of the welds as they do seem to stand out, but honestly had no idea this meant anything. But yeah great intel for sure.
      05-16-2024, 04:19 PM   #7
rusty_sojah
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Typically high quality aftermarket and OEM axel backs (muffler w/tips) do not require welding and use pipe clamp to connect to upstream midpipe (resonated or not) - no welding. This should make it fairly easy to switch back to OEM set-up in order to pass the inspection. If you go with OEM MPerf exhaust - you might not even need to switch back ever again as you could declare it as OEM upgrade. Worth to investigate local (Japan) rules on that?

As for what you are considering: https://cencalmotorsport.com/product...46707454083378, personally I'd stay away from that one as I'm not too confident in the spherical connections they employ around the exhaust tips/pipes. With thermal expansions and contractions and due to the weight of the pipe/tip on the right side (non-curb/driver side for Japan), I totally expect that side to be constantly requiring adjustment as it could be sagging down (pointing down) over time due to possible intermittent looseness at the spherical connection. Additionally, such connection won't restrict similar sagging (lesser extent) and spinning of the pipe/tip on the left side. By the way, some of the pics they have posted are confusing at first glance. Their name plate on the main barrel is meant to face the ground and valves/mounting hangers are supposed to be above the pipes/barrel. On some of the pics, the tips are not oriented correctly. This also kind of tells me that the supplier is average if not on low end of quality band as they do a not-so-good job advertising their own product.

Discoloration at the welds also tells me that they cheap out on shield gas at manufacture. The welds are overheated and Cr is depleted, the weld joints will start rusting fairly quick.

Just my 5c.
Thanks for the knowledge drop. I am going to research the one you mentioned. My orher big problem is finding anyone out here in okinawa to touch a non jdm car. Seriously racist if you ask me. Lol. But the cutting bit was something i don't have the tool for,,,, yet.... the only single shop that told me they could do exhaust on my car said it had to have the japan sticker on it saying it was road safety approved, like their version of a usdot or whatever type sticker. The only 2 i know of that have that for our cars for japan are remus and akropovic and i extensively searched for these 2 at 1st and cheapest i found was for like 3k. I think akropovic being the more readily available in japan was like 4k honestly. That was kind of a deal breaker for me in terms of bang for the buck.
      05-16-2024, 06:00 PM   #8
rusty_sojah
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
If you go with OEM MPerf exhaust - you might not even need to switch back ever again as you could declare it as OEM upgrade. Worth to investigate local (Japan) rules on that?

Just my 5c.
Is this just the the MPPSK? If not, which axle back is this one pictured? thanks.
I believe the MPPSK is a bit pricey IMO. My last e93 FBO had the MPPSK (or possible just an upgraded bmw sporty m option) and it sounded great, but i saw the price tag recently and was a bit surprised.
      05-17-2024, 08:46 AM   #9
Oksamit78
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E39, F30 & F34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty_sojah View Post
Is this just the the MPPSK? If not, which axle back is this one pictured? thanks.
I believe the MPPSK is a bit pricey IMO. My last e93 FBO had the MPPSK (or possible just an upgraded bmw sporty m option) and it sounded great, but i saw the price tag recently and was a bit surprised.
If BMW officially sells MPPSK in Japan, I'd look into getting a used one from the States. It comes with BMW embossing and name plate on the muffler barrel - makes it an official OEM product installed on your car for the ease of state inspection.

Here is the link to M Perf OEM muffler (re)sold new by ECS tuning: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...r/18302406953/
2017 F34 340i XDrive w/ M Sport Pack, Azure II /Black, B58B30M0, Dinan Stage 1
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2024, 08:32 PM   #10
rusty_sojah
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

well i ordered a diffuser from Maxton, didn't fit at all, processing for return (they seem very reluctant to returns so fingers crossed).

I also ordered a pair of 4" ECS carbon fiber tips that said for 2.5" inlet which I have. They seem like they were for 3" inlet since even at max tightness they were still easily able to slip on and off with hand... processed for return status pending.

today i ordered from ECS:
*rear diffuser (images have identical holes to my stock one so should be a good fitment)
*drop in filter for oem box
*intake inlet and lower section for oem box
*valved cat-back Turner exhaust with black 4" tips

hopefully i can get some parts to fit and stop having to deal with returns from an overseas military post office box and customs forms = giant PITA!!