F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Coding Euro High Beam Assist but no LHM or TMS ECU Modules
GetBMWParts

08-23-2017, 06:11 PM   #45
Hypermile
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d xDrive M-S M-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon View Post
How do you know? There have been no threads where someone has worked out the coding difference between the Euro F30 LCI LED lights and the NA F30. and it didn't work. All the threads that exist relate to the pre-lci headlights. Please show us some of these other threads that you refer to, or are you just being a blowhard...

No one is suggesting that he leave it to glare other drivers if it doesn't work. I said 'try'.
I agree with you blue dragon. People seem to pussy foot too much around here.
I'm still willing to code my LCI F31 with adaptive LEDs for HGHB and give it a try. But no one is even brave enough to give me ALL the coding info.

I still don't know if I enabled VLD. All I did was delete VLD coding by VO coding. But I don't see a difference in the beam reach or width no matter what speed I'm travelling.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 07:15 PM   #46
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypermile View Post
I'm still willing to code my LCI F31 with adaptive LEDs for HGHB and give it a try. But no one is even brave enough to give me ALL the coding info.

I still don't know if I enabled VLD. All I did was delete VLD coding by VO coding. But I don't see a difference in the beam reach or width no matter what speed I'm travelling.
I understand wanting to try it out just to see. I did that with my F010 and then changed it back.

People have tried it with both NA headlamps and ECE retrofitted. The reason nothing has been publicly posted is because it did not work. As such, even if we ignore the lack of hardware, incorrect coding would give you a "false" sense of function.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 07:40 PM   #47
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 Tesla MY + '23 Tesla MY

Afer a discussion with Letmier, it may not even work with ECE headlights due to COP restrictions (basically the same thing stopping it from working in the F10).

I ordered some ECE headlights, but I have to source the turn signal modules first. They are different than the NA ones, and then I'll attempt a retrofit.
      08-24-2017, 01:26 AM   #48
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypermile View Post

Unless you can magically shit out an optical LED chip and a way to hack the Modules on closed loop bus networks, there isn't anything to give.

To check VLD is incredibly easy. At night and with the car parked facing a flat vertical surface, start the engine. Then turn the head lamp switch from auto to on. Left headlamp should move in 8 degrees and up 1 degree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon View Post
Afer a discussion with Letmier, it may not even work with ECE headlights due to COP restrictions (basically the same thing stopping it from working in the F10).

I ordered some ECE headlights, but I have to source the turn signal modules first. They are different than the NA ones, and then I'll attempt a retrofit.
And if it works that becomes the solution. It's not going to be easy and why I offered to personally come there on my own dime.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 01:31 AM   #49
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz28/40 View Post
I don't think they are illegal in the US anymore as my step-moms new Volvo XC60 has the ant-dazzle/ tunnel feature. BMW needs to catch up.

They're still illegal in the US. Is the XC60 a US car in Germany by chance?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 02:48 AM   #50
CruzM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 "Velocity Edition"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier
Quote:
I don't think they are illegal in the US anymore as my step-moms new Volvo XC60 has the ant-dazzle/ tunnel feature. BMW needs to catch up.

No it's in the U.S. My Mom lives in Charlotte, NC and ordered / picked up her car from a dealer there.
2016 328i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 07:16 PM   #51
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier
Quote:

No it's in the U.S. My Mom lives in Charlotte, NC and ordered / picked up her car from a dealer there.
Then no it doesn't have it. The Volvo Active High Beam in the US is still just On - Off Auto High Beam.

The standards for ADB in the US under FMVSS 108, both new certifications and retroactive activation for vehicles already equipped with the appropriate components, does exist. It's the last step, the addition of this to The Code of Federal Regulations that has yet to be taken.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 09:01 PM   #52
JamRWS6
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamRWS6 View Post
The shutters are not responsible for the tunnel
Incorrect. Attached is the GFHB pattern from an ECE F30 LCI for reference.
How are you enabling the pattern sitting in the garage. Would love to compare to what my coded US F30 is doing.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 09:15 PM   #53
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
How are you enabling the pattern sitting in the garage. Would love to compare to what my coded US F30 is doing.
ISTA/D or ISTA+ and a different from normal connection procedure to get around the VO Manipulation issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 05:08 AM   #54
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Hardware Vs Hardware

Top is a US F30LCI coded to enable GFHB and claimed with almost no trepidation in this thread to be working; bottom is an ECE F30LCI with GFHB from the factory. The same test is applied to both cars; any CoP barrier for potential programming or BUS network block is bypassed to trigger the US car.

Discuss.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 06:49 AM   #55
JamRWS6
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M Competition

Quote:
Hardware Vs Hardware

Top is a US F30LCI coded to enable GFHB and claimed with almost no trepidation in this thread to be working; bottom is an ECE F30LCI with GFHB from the factory. The same test is applied to both cars; any CoP barrier for potential programming or BUS network block is bypassed to trigger the US car.

Discuss.
There is much more to NGHB as far as beam action than the test that we ran shows. The reaction to differing light sources and the reaction of the beams is quite different than anything this test does. To be clear, if you read through the threads I have always said the upper portion of the high beams is the part that is missing which based upon some of your findings appears to either shutter specific or blocked from triggering based on hardware.

Just so we all understand how the current coding is reacting on the road, what I sent was a video that shows the beams dropping and splitting in which there is a "tunnel" being generated when they drop. This is what i see splitting a car and the beams never rise up as is seen at the end of the video (and picture posted) until no light sources are present ahead. Re-iterating again, this has always been my complaint in enabling this is that I'm not getting the full high beam potential out of NGHB and I don't know it is possible on a US car. This is exactly why no coding was ever shared publicly.

Here's the video of the test for all to see.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B22...ew?usp=sharing
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 08:37 AM   #56
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hardware Vs Hardware

Discuss.
There is much more to NGHB as far as beam action than the test that we ran shows. The reaction to differing light sources and the reaction of the beams is quite different than anything this test does. To be clear, if you read through the threads I have always said the upper portion of the high beams is the part that is missing which based upon some of your findings appears to either shutter specific or blocked from triggering based on hardware.

Just so we all understand how the current coding is reacting on the road, what I sent was a video that shows the beams dropping and splitting in which there is a "tunnel" being generated when they drop. This is what i see splitting a car and the beams never rise up as is seen at the end of the video (and picture posted) until no light sources are present ahead. Re-iterating again, this has always been my complaint in enabling this is that I'm not getting the full high beam potential out of NGHB and I don't know it is possible on a US car. This is exactly why no coding was ever shared publicly.

Here's the video of the test for all to see.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B22...ew?usp=sharing
I'm actually uncomfortable having to do this but...

Reserved for preservation if ever needed.

--------------------------------------

What should have been visible from your car and what would have been seen if looking at it (the right would be a mirror image of the left) is attached. The test is very simple and specific in what should have been present. There is way more going on and others who have run the same test after applying the same method will agree unanimously that there is definitely some unusual behavior that isn't even related to the missing dynamic shadow.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2017, 02:29 AM   #57
CruzM3
Captain
United_States
Rep

If I buy OEM ECE lights from the dealer do I need the order the control boxes with them or can I use the ones from my car? Also once I have the headlights installed will I have to do extensive coding to get them to work?

(I live in Germany with my US spec 2017 340i and can order the required headlights here)
2016 328i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2017, 01:23 PM   #58
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
If I buy OEM ECE lights from the dealer do I need the order the control boxes with them or can I use the ones from my car? Also once I have the headlights installed will I have to do extensive coding to get them to work?

(I live in Germany with my US spec 2017 340i and can order the required headlights here)
You'll need the ECE turn signal modules. Extensive coding would be necessary but whether that is going to work even with the correct hardware is a different story.

If you have time, there's actually a functioning F30 LCI Adaptive LED Cutaway Model at The Welt. I had pics of it before it was sent there but lost them after a HD died. New ones would be very helpful.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 10:59 PM   #59
Velomobile
Rep
Drives: AW-F32-N55

Quote:
They use different methods to produce the Passing Beams. F8x Pre-LCI use Sail Beam (No Digital Optic Shutters). F3x 3er LCI Adaptive use Multibeam Dynamic Shadow in approved markets (Digital Shutters). US Cars have a different outer LED Array that cannot produce a Sail Beam or a Dynamic Shadow Beam.
Sorry to dig up an old thread - I am on a great quest to catch up on the good old GFHB tuning topic. Just to clarify I was confused by this post as 1) Sail Beam & 2) Multibeam Dynamic Shadowing I thought describes:

...either 1) Pairing vertically (but static) shielded Xenon projectors that adjust their tracking on the horizontal plane via projector motors to create a vertical slit to shadow a target (Sail Beam) OR

2) pairs more or less statically oriented (aside from AFS maybe) Xenon Projectors with internal dynamic optical shielding to produce proper shadow panoramics (Multibeam Dynamic Shadowing)

and NOT how LED light arrays produce matrix'ed beaming...

...My understanding was that F-Series LED Adaptives use a combination of matrix shadowing (extinguishing the inside lower quad LED chip zones to obscure shadow zones) AND vertical / horizontal splitting via movement but not shutters to support its shadow panoramics

Re: Adaptive LED Matrix'ing ... Did this change at all for LCI? - Can someone post a pic of the shutters? On a reflector array they'd be super easy to spot..

Thanks for the clarification!

[img]MatrixLED.png[/img]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 08:32 AM   #60
CruzM3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velomobile View Post
Quote:
They use different methods to produce the Passing Beams. F8x Pre-LCI use Sail Beam (No Digital Optic Shutters). F3x 3er LCI Adaptive use Multibeam Dynamic Shadow in approved markets (Digital Shutters). US Cars have a different outer LED Array that cannot produce a Sail Beam or a Dynamic Shadow Beam.
Sorry to dig up an old thread - I am on a great quest to catch up on the good old GFHB tuning topic. Just to clarify I was confused by this post as 1) Sail Beam & 2) Multibeam Dynamic Shadowing I thought describes:

...either 1) Pairing vertically (but static) shielded Xenon projectors that adjust their tracking on the horizontal plane via projector motors to create a vertical slit to shadow a target (Sail Beam) OR

2) pairs more or less statically oriented (aside from AFS maybe) Xenon Projectors with internal dynamic optical shielding to produce proper shadow panoramics (Multibeam Dynamic Shadowing)

and NOT how LED light arrays produce matrix'ed beaming...

...My understanding was that F-Series LED Adaptives use a combination of matrix shadowing (extinguishing the inside lower quad LED chip zones to obscure shadow zones) AND vertical / horizontal splitting via movement but not shutters to support its shadow panoramics

Re: Adaptive LED Matrix'ing ... Did this change at all for LCI? - Can someone post a pic of the shutters? On a reflector array they'd be super easy to spot..

Thanks for the clarification!

[img]MatrixLED.png[/img]
You are thinking of the Icon led adaptive lights which do the shadowing. The LEDs on the F30 do have a shutter which the US version is missing.
2016 328i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 11:23 AM   #61
Velomobile
Rep
Drives: AW-F32-N55

Just as an update the AMER Pre-LCI F32 w/ 552 Adaptive LED's worked.

It visually has the same headlights as the F8x and ... but I think lemetier might have already confirmed this here on his "similar hardware" model list (that guy pretty much knows it all when it comes to the hardware side of this!):

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=135

After seeing it in action I actually do think it must have some kind of cutoff shutters too though for some of the positions...

Under certain conditions where it wants to create a very aggressive tunnel (kicks in medium to close follow distance, extremely dark road) ... it is almost a different "mode" where the vertical cutoff on either side of the car in front becomes very crisp and aggressive, moreso than the just "middle highs disabled, outer highs pivoted outward" tunnel mode
Appreciate 0