F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Dubai hotel recommendations
GetBMWParts

02-19-2024, 12:32 PM   #23
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
well this probably isn’t true. But how on earth did the strict rules cause you any bother? Were you looking to steal? Or some other nefarious behaviour?
I think there are lots of rules in Dubai that could catch many UK tourists out Benidorm it isn't from what I've read in a BBC article, no swearing/no loud music in public places/no showing of affection in public/dancing in a public space/staying the same bedroom as your partner if not married is illegal etc....

Of course they decide when to apply the laws and won't apply many of them otherwise the hotels would be empty if you can't go with your girl or boy friend but I guess you could be unlucky, or a mouthy fool that can't hold his beer and get into some real bother.

Their house their rules and I imagine it's a very safe and pleasant place.
      02-19-2024, 02:57 PM   #24
Danj94
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y Dual Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
I think there are lots of rules in Dubai that could catch many UK tourists out Benidorm it isn't from what I've read in a BBC article, no swearing/no loud music in public places/no showing of affection in public/dancing in a public space/staying the same bedroom as your partner if not married is illegal etc....

Of course they decide when to apply the laws and won't apply many of them otherwise the hotels would be empty if you can't go with your girl or boy friend but I guess you could be unlucky, or a mouthy fool that can't hold his beer and get into some real bother.

Their house their rules and I imagine it's a very safe and pleasant place.
I experienced nothing but friendliness whilst there my girlfriend and I didn't once feel awkward but you do need to respect their culture the same way we would expect visitors to respect ours in this country.

80% of the population are ex-pats and most of those are western to be honest, it really does feel like an excellent classy location once there. Everything is so clean, the weather is good all year round so much to do also, Abu Dhabi is about 90 mins by car.

In my hotel bar I watched a couple of english premier league games in the late evening and there was 3 "emiratees" there I assume they were as they were dressed in the traditional clothing white gown with the head scarf etc. They were Arsenal fans and as they took a 1-0 lead against us (liverpool) I thought it a good time to strike up conversation and they were keen to tell me about how things were for them living in Dubai... although its a Muslim country I can't help but feel the commitment to their faith for a number of younger people is dwindling similar to the way it has for Christians in England over the years etc.

These 3 guys were enjoying a few pints of Peroni with the football and I found them to be extremely keen to chat and have a laugh about the score.. I've been far far cautious about striking up conversation in a bar in London no doubt.

I get this is an isolated incident but there is a reason Dubai is one of the safest cities statistically on the earth and although pricy I wouldn't hesitate to go back or recommend it.

Also not sure why I quoted you in my reply @wills2 my reply above it not aimed at you at all its just a general comment about my stay, before travelling I had read about their laws and expectations and was nervous but what I actually experienced was nothing like what I read.
Appreciate 3
Wills28729.00
Rbrown2762.50
      02-19-2024, 04:18 PM   #25
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danj94 View Post
I experienced nothing but friendliness whilst there my girlfriend and I didn't once feel awkward but you do need to respect their culture the same way we would expect visitors to respect ours in this country.

80% of the population are ex-pats and most of those are western to be honest, it really does feel like an excellent classy location once there. Everything is so clean, the weather is good all year round so much to do also, Abu Dhabi is about 90 mins by car.

In my hotel bar I watched a couple of english premier league games in the late evening and there was 3 "emiratees" there I assume they were as they were dressed in the traditional clothing white gown with the head scarf etc. They were Arsenal fans and as they took a 1-0 lead against us (liverpool) I thought it a good time to strike up conversation and they were keen to tell me about how things were for them living in Dubai... although its a Muslim country I can't help but feel the commitment to their faith for a number of younger people is dwindling similar to the way it has for Christians in England over the years etc.

These 3 guys were enjoying a few pints of Peroni with the football and I found them to be extremely keen to chat and have a laugh about the score.. I've been far far cautious about striking up conversation in a bar in London no doubt.

I get this is an isolated incident but there is a reason Dubai is one of the safest cities statistically on the earth and although pricy I wouldn't hesitate to go back or recommend it.

Also not sure why I quoted you in my reply @wills2 my reply above it not aimed at you at all its just a general comment about my stay, before travelling I had read about their laws and expectations and was nervous but what I actually experienced was nothing like what I read.
Not at all Dan, they have created a very safe and welcoming place by all accounts, they clearly tolerate tourists breaking some of their rules in exchange for the $$$ but don't want lager louts.

I guess my point was it's a case of mess about and find out, the US has different laws and a police force that doesn't mess about so I think where ever you are it's best to be on good behaviour.
      02-20-2024, 05:12 AM   #26
SimonBMW1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 4 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
well this probably isn’t true. But how on earth did the strict rules cause you any bother? Were you looking to steal? Or some other nefarious behaviour?
Was more the not being able to drink where you want.
Went with a girl, and couldn't really do what you do in UK with her. So walking down the street like holding hands, hugging, etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 12:06 PM   #27
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:
In my hotel bar I watched a couple of english premier league games in the late evening and there was 3 "emiratees" there I assume they were as they were dressed in the traditional clothing white gown with the head scarf etc......

..... These 3 guys were enjoying a few pints of Peroni
I think saying you saw three people who were clearly Islamic drinking alcohol......I've never heard of any one who's committed to Islam ever express one hint of wanting to drink alcohol in the UK even when surrounded by people downing shots let alone do it in an Islamic country in public view of everyone.

Even alcohol free versions of Peroni would cause more than an eye brow to be raised for even UK Muslims in the setting you have described!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 04:44 AM   #28
Nibbles
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
I think saying you saw three people who were clearly Islamic drinking alcohol......I've never heard of any one who's committed to Islam ever express one hint of wanting to drink alcohol in the UK even when surrounded by people downing shots let alone do it in an Islamic country in public view of everyone.

Even alcohol free versions of Peroni would cause more than an eye brow to be raised for even UK Muslims in the setting you have described!
I've seen more than 3 muslims drinking alcohol on many occasions. Their flavour of islam and what parts they believe in their fiction book is different to others. They'd still class themselves as muslims though.
Appreciate 1
Wills28729.00
      02-21-2024, 12:21 PM   #29
Danj94
Lieutenant
Rep

I mean I am just assuming they were muslim as they seemed to be nationals and the national religion is Muslim, however it's just an assumption.

England is a Christian nation yet many don't believe including myself. I am just assuming their nation is heading the same way with more and more people either exploring the limits of their religion or not believing it and living their own lives.

Either way I don't judge and I think their nation is awesome!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2024, 06:31 AM   #30
MY340i
Major
Rep
Drives: Various

JBR is good if you want to go exploring and stuff. The Palm is better for a relaxing holiday.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2024, 03:26 PM   #31
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

We’ve booked at the Palace Downtown, which the gf who has lived in Dubai recommends. It’s next to the fountain and the rooms are in a traditional Arabic style apparently.

It comes out well on Tripadvisor too,
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2024, 06:00 AM   #32
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Looks a lovely hotel I prefer the low rise ones that look more traditional
      04-05-2024, 04:27 AM   #33
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Looks a lovely hotel I prefer the low rise ones that look more traditional
Really impressed with the hotel and the Downtown area. Definitely recommend Palace Downtown. Here’s the view from our balcony
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
isleaiw19107.00
Danj94599.50
C320342.50
Wills28729.00
Rbrown2762.50
      04-05-2024, 02:21 PM   #34
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Looks amazing!
      05-18-2024, 04:02 PM   #35
JeffBMW4Series
Private
Rep
Drives: 430i F33 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB118D View Post
Has anyone stayed in the Rixos on the Palm?

Been tentatively looking for September this year and it seems reasonably priced and comes with "Ultra All Inclusive", whatever that may be. Plus booking now gives unlimited free access to the waterpark at the Atlantis
Did you try Rixos on the Palm?

Me and Wife are looking at going here in July. Reading looks great for an AI stay?

Also looking at visiting Aurra pool and Sky View bar @ burj al arab https://auraskypool.com/
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2024, 01:34 AM   #36
Danj94
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffBMW4Series View Post
Did you try Rixos on the Palm?

Me and Wife are looking at going here in July. Reading looks great for an AI stay?

Also looking at visiting Aurra pool and Sky View bar @ burj al arab https://auraskypool.com/
Hey,

I stayed at the sofitel on the Palm which was lovely, Rixos the Palm looks lovely too.

We visited the sky bar and Aura skypool and both were excellent highly recommend. Book the skypool well in advance we had front row palm view!
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2024, 05:12 AM   #37
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: An Entire Fleet

I am flying out (again) next week Friday.
Just me and the wife.
Kids are getting dumped at the MIL's!!!

Have not booked a hotel yet and am not planning to until I get there.
In fact, the only thing I have booked are my rental cars

This will (hopefully) be an interesting trip.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2024, 01:03 PM   #38
RickLS7
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 435D, Boxster 981S

We've stayed in a few expensive hotels there but most enjoyed an Airbnb in the marina.

Name:  IMG_6582.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  989.3 KB
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2024, 03:10 PM   #39
Danj94
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickLS7 View Post
We've stayed in a few expensive hotels there but most enjoyed an Airbnb in the marina.

Attachment 3464254
Looks great how much was that per night?

The airbnb rates there seem to be really good! flights can be had with emirates for circa 400 quid each return.. great value.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2024, 11:30 AM   #40
JeffBMW4Series
Private
Rep
Drives: 430i F33 Convertible

Quote:
Looks great how much was that per night?

The airbnb rates there seem to be really good! flights can be had with emirates for circa 400 quid each return.. great value.
Really, haven't seen any flights that cheap.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2024, 02:49 PM   #41
Danj94
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffBMW4Series View Post
Really, haven't seen any flights that cheap.
£496 from gatwick... includes luggage.. not bad
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2024, 07:31 AM   #42
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30Andy View Post
Having done this a silly number of times in the last five years and having stayed at many hotels, the ones I would recommend are:

The Burj Al Arab - Not with the money, but worth a couple of nights just for the experience.
I only did it for the wife and would not do it again out of choice.
Great if you want loads of photos for your instasnap, but I'm not that sort of guy.
Quote:
I am flying out (again) next week Friday.
Just me and the wife.
Kids are getting dumped at the MIL's!!!

Have not booked a hotel yet and am not planning to until I get there.
In fact, the only thing I have booked are my rental cars

This will (hopefully) be an interesting trip.
OK, so I know I said I would not do the Burj Al Arab again out of choice.
Well when we landed, my wife made sure I didn't have a choice!

Don't worry though, I did it "on the cheap."
I only got the suite one notch above entry level.

PS.
Prefered the Huracan over the Brabus 911 Turbo S.
Horrendous turbo lag from the Porsche.

Last edited by F30Andy; 06-03-2024 at 07:44 AM..
Appreciate 1
isleaiw19107.00
      06-03-2024, 07:50 AM   #43
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

I have had to edit this loads of times!

Hopefully you can see the pictures.
Appreciate 1
isleaiw19107.00
      06-03-2024, 08:21 AM   #44
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
I have had to edit this loads of times!

Hopefully you can see the pictures.
Can certainly see one that shows the outside temp at 50 degrees.... and had the Lambo really done over 115k kilometers?

And £420 quid for a bathrobe, I can do you a few for that price! My guess is they price them in case you decide to nick one and then they charge you after the event...?

How much do they charge for the champagen and wines? Stay with us and I'm sure there would be a comp bottle of something in your room...

I clearly need a better job so I can afford to stay in other people's nice hotels!!
Appreciate 1
F30Andy1781.00