F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > F33 - negative camber issue
proTUNING Freaks

05-19-2024, 01:19 PM   #1
Tim182
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F33 440i Vert (LCI) MPPSK

F33 - negative camber issue

My front left camber is running at -1.1 degrees, slightly is outside spec (0 to -0.6), and off versus the front right at -0.3 degrees. With 0.8 difference, the car is pulling to the left, especially on sloped roads which is really annoying me. I did hit some potholes a while back which probably caused this, but there is no obvious damage.

Took it to a good and recommended indy who also took a look and measured everything. No obvious damage to chassis or suspension. They suggested replacing the strut and control arm first, which according to them were the cause in 9 in 10 cases as they are the weakest parts. Unfortunately, I followed their recommendations which made absolutely no difference, expect a big dent in the pocket since I have adaptive suspension.

I’d like to give it one more try as I plan on keeping the car for a while.

What other parts could be causing this? Is it worth replacing the knuckle (like for like with a 0 degree knuckle) in case this took a knock? The Indy did have a look at the knuckle and couldn’t see any damage, eg around the lip. What about the bearing?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 05:21 PM   #2
Wires
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Camber shouldn't really impact the car pulling left or right, that is the tilt of the wheels, in your case, one is tilted slightly more inwards:
https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/...egative-camber

If the toe was out, that would make a lot more sense to it wanting to pull a certain direction.

Putting the staggered tires back on after the square winter setup has my car wandering up and down the grooves in the roads now. Maybe you are being hyper sensitive to something that the car always did on those roads?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2024, 11:57 AM   #3
Tim182
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F33 440i Vert (LCI) MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
Camber shouldn't really impact the car pulling left or right, that is the tilt of the wheels, in your case, one is tilted slightly more inwards:
https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/...egative-camber

If the toe was out, that would make a lot more sense to it wanting to pull a certain direction.

Putting the staggered tires back on after the square winter setup has my car wandering up and down the grooves in the roads now. Maybe you are being hyper sensitive to something that the car always did on those roads?
I’m being hypersensitive for sure. Still would be keen to get the camber aligned on both sides to within spec. Just not sure what part to try next.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2024, 05:50 PM   #4
Wires
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

As the suspension parts wear, the camber slowly gets greater. It could be anything, bushings, knuckles, etc. You'd have to rebuild the suspension to make it perfect again.

For 1/2 a degree, I don't know how far I'd chase that one down though.
Appreciate 0