F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > F30 N57 EGR delete kit recommendations?
GetBMWParts

05-18-2024, 01:48 PM   #1
mrbensam
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 330D M Sport

F30 N57 EGR delete kit recommendations?

After having problems with my EGR it’s getting deleted and tuned out. Can anyone recommend a good delete kit??

Also Gona remove the inlet and give it a good clean, so if anyone has any tips on making it easier.. let me know!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2024, 03:23 AM   #2
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

If you’re going to physically blank the EGR you must also have it coded out, not just the open/closed operation of the EGR valve but also reprogramming of the ECU regarding various expected values.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2024, 11:52 AM   #3
TiredGeek
Old Fart
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335dx F31 Shadow EB

Have a chat with Darkside Developments, they know a thing or two about egr deletes.
      05-20-2024, 02:59 AM   #4
mrbensam
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
If you’re going to physically blank the EGR you must also have it coded out, not just the open/closed operation of the EGR valve but also reprogramming of the ECU regarding various expected values.
Yeah exactly that, I’ve had a stage 1 put on my car and he said he will code it out for me if I blank it out! He thinks my DPF will fail shortly after though without the EGR
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 08:05 AM   #5
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbensam View Post
Yeah exactly that, I’ve had a stage 1 put on my car and he said he will code it out for me if I blank it out! He thinks my DPF will fail shortly after though without the EGR
If he knows how to code-out the EGR properly, the DPF will be fine. Apart from coding-out the EGR valve cycle he needs to make sure that the DPF region cycle remains active. My understanding is that these functions are often (always ?) linked.

With an absence of exhaust gases and soot (oil vapour + particulates) flowing through the inlet manifold, inlet ports, and combustion chambers, you should notice smoother running, improved mpg, and (if it's been cleaned) no more fouling of the inlet manifold/ports.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 08:55 AM   #6
TurboWeasel
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D

I believe DPF regens are also tied into the throttle body and swirl flap operation, as well as the EGR valve / air mass detection.

That's why you have to choose your tuner wisely and only use one that has a lot of experience with diesel emissions controls.

If you use decent fuel, do regular oil changes and do regular dual carriageway runs, the soot build up in the intake is nowhere near as bad as short journey only cars, which are also the ones more likely to have skipped services and cheapest, shittiest fuel used.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 12:56 PM   #7
Allworth
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive20d (E84)

There is no 'good delete kit', some are better than the others but the whole procedure is malicious and does lead to complications. Why do you need it out? Something being broken needs to be fixed and replaced by a proper part so it functions as intended. Moreover it technically downsizes exhaust levels which would be liable for paying more tax if it was factory standard. In fact EGR can be beneficial in helping to control combustion temperature smoothing engine work. In other words keep BMW a BMW.
      05-20-2024, 05:09 PM   #8
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

There is no 'good delete kit', some are better than the others but the whole procedure is malicious and does lead to complications. Why do you need it out? Something being broken needs to be fixed and replaced by a proper part so it functions as intended. Moreover it technically downsizes exhaust levels which would be liable for paying more tax if it was factory standard. In fact EGR can be beneficial in helping to control combustion temperature smoothing engine work. In other words keep BMW a BMW.

An alternative view...

Exhaust Gas Recirculation is a bodge as a cheap means of crudely reducing specific types of exhaust emissions as a result of ill thought out legislation.

It introduces exhaust gasses and particulates into the combustion chamber, during specific operating conditions, as a means of reducing NOX, however...soot and exhaust gases, when mixed with oil vapour cause worsening deposits in the inlet manifold, inlet ports, and combustions chambers which are detrimental to the performance of the engine, can (often) result in noticeable and intrusive rough running (diesel clatter) due to overly-lean O2-fuel ratios at light load, reduce MPG, cause increased maintenance costs, require frequent visits to BMW for inspections and/or replacement of physical components (my EGR cooler has been inspected once, cleaned once, and replaced twice), and can reduce the overall life of the engine.

If I forced you to wear a mask into which cigarette smoke was introduced when you were sedentary or exercising only mildly, with the justification that it would reduce the amount you farted, how would you respond ?

Last edited by Watsey; 05-21-2024 at 06:30 AM.. Reason: changed the analogy
Appreciate 2
dave550i122.50
      05-21-2024, 12:11 AM   #9
Allworth
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
An alternative view...

Exhaust Gas Recirculation is a bodge as a cheap means of crudely reducing specific types of exhaust emissions as a result of ill thought out legislation.

It introduces exhaust gasses and particulates into the combustion chamber, during specific operating conditions, as a means of reducing NOX, however...soot and exhaust gases, when mixed with oil vapour cause worsening deposits in the inlet manifold, inlet ports, and combustions chambers which are detrimental to the performance of the engine, can (often) result in noticeable and intrusive rough running (diesel clatter) due to overly-lean O2-fuel ratios at light load, reduce MPG, cause increased maintenance costs, require frequent visits to BMW for inspections and/or replacement of physical components (my EGR cooler has been inspected once, cleaned once, and replaced twice), and can reduce the overall life of the engine.

If I forced you to wear a mask into which cigarette smoke was introduced when you were sedentary or exercising only mildly, with the justification that it would improve your cardiovascular health and fitness levels, how would you respond ?
I'd convince you wrong for practicing sorcery and pharmakeia.

The EGR activates when needed for specific reasons. Its main function is to reduce NOx emissions, which is important and should be viewed positively, along with other useful functions such as controlling combustion temperature.
      05-21-2024, 03:19 AM   #10
TurboWeasel
Major
Rep

Quote:
With my cynical hat on, I'd say DPF regens being disabled due to deleted or malfunctioning EGR is a form of control from Brussels to force people into dealerships to get the emissions equipment checked/replaced.

There is no rational engineering reason why one can't operate without the other.

Morally I'm fine with DPFs but EGR just costs consumers a lot of money & hassle in unnecessary maintenance because Brussels are determined to rid the world of internal combustion engines, whilst they fly around the world to G5 summits in their private jets and Chauffer driven Rolls Royces.
Appreciate 2
Watsey6458.00
dave550i122.50
      05-21-2024, 06:32 AM   #11
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboWeasel View Post
With my cynical hat on, I'd say DPF regens being disabled due to deleted or malfunctioning EGR is a form of control from Brussels to force people into dealerships to get the emissions equipment checked/replaced.

There is no rational engineering reason why one can't operate without the other.

Morally I'm fine with DPFs but EGR just costs consumers a lot of money & hassle in unnecessary maintenance because Brussels are determined to rid the world of internal combustion engines, whilst they fly around the world to G5 summits in their private jets and Chauffer driven Rolls Royces.
You have to remember that they need to invent new bureaucracy as a means of filling the gaps between citizen-funded breakfasts, lunches, and dinners.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2024, 12:54 PM   #12
Allworth
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Disgusting how you switched to politics. Having no arguments you better shut up..
      05-22-2024, 03:13 AM   #13
TurboWeasel
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allworth View Post
Disgusting how you switched to politics. Having no arguments you better shut up..
I was replying to Watsey, so why don't you shut up and mind your own business you easily triggered little boy.
Appreciate 3
dave550i122.50
Watsey6458.00
      05-22-2024, 05:23 AM   #14
mrbensam
Private First Class
Rep

Ordered the dark side blanking kit in the end, Gona have to get a downpipe and new snail to go with it.. money pit 😂
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2024, 12:49 PM   #15
Allworth
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I was replying to Watsey, so why don't you shut up and mind your own business you easily triggered little boy.
Because I have enough to put into your hat, take it off ASAP.
      05-22-2024, 02:06 PM   #16
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I'd convince you wrong for practicing sorcery and pharmakeia.

The EGR activates when needed for specific reasons. Its main function is to reduce NOx emissions, which is important and should be viewed positively, along with other useful functions such as controlling combustion temperature.
"should" ? I don't think so.

Decreasing the O2 available for combustion does indeed reduce combustion temps, and that can lead to a reduction in NOX, but I disagree that EGR is a a bona-fide technical/engineering approach to the solution. There are multiple negatives associated with EGR, and they could be negated if engine manufacturers invested in proper development rather than cheap (but disastrously expensive for them, i.e. BMW) bodges.
Appreciate 1
dave550i122.50
      05-24-2024, 05:03 AM   #17
TurboWeasel
Major
Rep

Quote:
Ordered the dark side blanking kit in the end, Gona have to get a downpipe and new snail to go with it.. money pit 😂
Keep us posted Did Darkside discuss EGR coding options with you?

Yep. You've hopped into the Rabbit hole now. It'll be hybrid ball bearing turbos, downpipes, injectors, intercoolers and all sorts now!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2024, 05:04 AM   #18
TurboWeasel
Major
Rep

Quote:
Because I have enough to put into your hat, take it off ASAP.
OK boss. What ever that means.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2024, 05:32 AM   #19
mrbensam
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Keep us posted Did Darkside discuss EGR coding options with you?

Yep. You've hopped into the Rabbit hole now. It'll be hybrid ball bearing turbos, downpipes, injectors, intercoolers and all sorts now!
Yeah I spoke to dark side and they’ve said if you delete EGR you also need to delete DPF! They won’t even code out EGR if you still have DPF apparently! He said it will mess up your regens and it can also harm your turbo!

I’ve ordered a rebuilt OEM turbo for £335 and you have to send them your old turbo for exchange!

Once you remove the emissions devices though the car will be in limp mode and won’t go over 2000 RPM but apparently still safe to drive for the engine.

I’m Gona fit all the parts and limp up the motorway to dark side for re tuning hahaha! £600 for a tune and DPF and EGR software delete though 🤯🤯 He said I can retain my gearbox tune though and won’t need to re do it, can only imagine how much they would want to do both 😂

Don’t trust the guy who tuned it the first time tbh I’m not even convinced he actually put it on a dyno because he wouldn’t let me stay and watch for “Insurance purposes”
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2024, 05:35 AM   #20
mrbensam
Private First Class
Rep

He also said he will be flashing it back to standard software first before re tuning so it will take all day
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2024, 05:53 AM   #21
TurboWeasel
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I spoke to dark side and they’ve said if you delete EGR you also need to delete DPF! They won’t even code out EGR if you still have DPF apparently! He said it will mess up your regens and it can also harm your turbo!

I’ve ordered a rebuilt OEM turbo for £335 and you have to send them your old turbo for exchange!

Once you remove the emissions devices though the car will be in limp mode and won’t go over 2000 RPM but apparently still safe to drive for the engine.

I’m Gona fit all the parts and limp up the motorway to dark side for re tuning hahaha! £600 for a tune and DPF and EGR software delete though 🤯🤯 He said I can retain my gearbox tune though and won’t need to re do it, can only imagine how much they would want to do both 😂

Don’t trust the guy who tuned it the first time tbh I’m not even convinced he actually put it on a dyno because he wouldn’t let me stay and watch for “Insurance purposes”
I hope you know a 'friendly' MOT tester

I guess BMW have done something to hardcode the EGR and DPF together which can't be defeated in the aftermarket, perhaps more so on the Euro6 LCIs. It's all shrouded in mystery.

Hopefully the rebuilt snail will sort your oil consumption out!

Yeah the classic insurance purposes trick. Just means you can't see him uploading a generic map he downloaded off the internet and nothing more
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2024, 06:47 AM   #22
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Total bollocks.
Appreciate 0