F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F32 Suspension Mod Suggestions
GetBMWParts

05-20-2024, 12:49 AM   #1
swerfin
Rep
Drives: f32 440i

F32 Suspension Mod Suggestions

Hello all,

I wanted to hear everyone's suggestions on suspension. At first, I was pretty set on coils but I recently found out my f32 has the "adaptive suspension." It will be a bit (a lot) out of my price range to purchase the coils that have it, rather than get coils where I'd have to delete/code out the adaptive suspension. I don't plan to track it, I wanted coils mainly for aesthetic/looks (and adjustability). So now I've been looking into purchasing springs. Preferablly, springs that will not have me bouncing on the freeway and will drop the car a fair amount. If there any brands anyone would recommend, it would be very helpful!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 03:04 PM   #2
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

if you lower it too much you will blow out the EDC dampers quickly. also if you get a spring with high rates you will be over sprung and it will be bouncy.

imo, the most suitable spring with EDC dampers is,

Eibach Pro-Kit E10-20-031-04-22
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 05:23 PM   #3
swerfin
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
if you lower it too much you will blow out the EDC dampers quickly. also if you get a spring with high rates you will be over sprung and it will be bouncy.

imo, the most suitable spring with EDC dampers is,

Eibach Pro-Kit E10-20-031-04-22
For the Eibach springs, I only see F30/F36 as options. Not sure why :/

Also, I’m curious why the Eibach springs rather than, for example, the H&R sport springs?

I’m still a bit skeptical about springs from what I hear about them. Things like:
  • How bouncy the ride will be
  • How long until the stock shocks will last
  • Possibility of damaging/wearing out the suspension quicker etc.

I know I get what I pay for, but unfortunately it doesn’t look like there’s a happy medium because of the adaptive suspension. Otherwise, I would have definitely went with coilovers. If I don’t plan on tracking the car, I can’t justify paying $4,000+ for the KW DDCs

Again, I don’t plan on tracking the car nor do I go through canyons that often (maybe once or twice a year). I may do pulls here and there, but other than that it’s daily driven.
Appreciate 1
danb19792316.50
      05-20-2024, 05:44 PM   #4
im_an_alien
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

I have the Eibach pro kit with adaptive dampers. No bouncy ride whatsoever. Dampers responsive as expected. Can't speak for how long they will last but I've had mine going on two years now. As for wearing out suspension components, any time a car is lowered all the bushings must be indexed to the new height, including sway bars. Lots of people (I would even say majority) don't do this and end up ruining the ride and bushings. Adjustable links and proper alignment are a must.
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2024, 01:13 AM   #5
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerfin View Post
sorry i listed incorrectly. this is for coupe
https://www.eibachshop.com/index.php...gs-bmw-4-coupe

Quote:
Also, I’m curious why the Eibach springs rather than, for example, the H&R sport springs?
Eibach Pro-Kit is only 10% stiffer than stock and it's spring rate is best match for OEM dampers

Quote:
I’m still a bit skeptical about springs from what I hear about them. Things like:
Eibach Pro-Kit mild lowering puts the least amount of pre-load and stress on OEM dampers
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2024, 04:31 AM   #6
danb1979
Idiotic lifter of heavy stones...
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 325D M Sport touring

Quote:

I know I get what I pay for, but unfortunately it doesn’t look like there’s a happy medium because of the adaptive suspension. Otherwise, I would have definitely went with coilovers. If I don’t plan on tracking the car, I can’t justify paying $4,000+ for the KW DDCs

Again, I don’t plan on tracking the car nor do I go through canyons that often (maybe once or twice a year). I may do pulls here and there, but other than that it’s daily driven.
Eibach pro kit springs are progressive and lower not a huge amount over BMW M Sport; so as already said, they suit the OE dampers well, but they don't tax them either...

The likes of H&R lower too much and can be too firm as well (I've found that personally); Eibach are closest to factory really...

Not the same car; but this is my F31 RWD lowered on Eibach pro kit springs with Bilstein B4S shocks (I wanted to keep the car closest to factory as I could but without spending BMW prices)

The suspension is nigh on level now and has gotten rid of that BMW rake

I'd highly recommend Eibach pro kit springs; they work superbly
      05-22-2024, 08:33 AM   #7
lllRazorlll
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

Following since I also have an F32 with the adaptive suspension and will need to do a suspension refresh as well in the coming months
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2024, 10:05 AM   #8
swerfin
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_an_alien View Post
I have the Eibach pro kit with adaptive dampers. No bouncy ride whatsoever. Dampers responsive as expected. Can't speak for how long they will last but I've had mine going on two years now. As for wearing out suspension components, any time a car is lowered all the bushings must be indexed to the new height, including sway bars. Lots of people (I would even say majority) don't do this and end up ruining the ride and bushings. Adjustable links and proper alignment are a must.
When you mean indexed to the new height, do you mean an alignment? I was also thinking of getting a sway bar like you mentioned. Any sway bars that you recommend? Only one I can think of is H&R
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2024, 10:28 AM   #9
swerfin
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danb1979 View Post
Eibach pro kit springs are progressive and lower not a huge amount over BMW M Sport; so as already said, they suit the OE dampers well, but they don't tax them either...

The likes of H&R lower too much and can be too firm as well (I've found that personally); Eibach are closest to factory really...

Not the same car; but this is my F31 RWD lowered on Eibach pro kit springs with Bilstein B4S shocks (I wanted to keep the car closest to factory as I could but without spending BMW prices)

The suspension is nigh on level now and has gotten rid of that BMW rake

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/zXt6msDQ/backonthedrive2.jpg[/img]

I'd highly recommend Eibach pro kit springs; they work superbly
How noticeable is the ride height from stock? The reason why I was considering H&R sports was because of it lowering the car a good amount from stock, but since everyone has been saying in this thread, that it will stress the OEM dampers too much; no thank you lol. One of my top priorities is to make sure nothing breaks. So it looks like I will be leaning towards the Eibach pro kit.

Also, I was looking into spacers. Any recommendations? 10 in the front, 12 in the rear seem to be the popular option.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2024, 11:50 AM   #10
Grassimo
Private
Rep
Drives: 440i XDrive

Garage List
Does all this apply to non adaptive suspension as well?

I wanted to go coilover and springs but don't have edc. Is it still risky?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2024, 12:04 PM   #11
swerfin
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassimo View Post

The reason why I’m choosing to go with springs instead of coils is because I have the adaptive suspension. Otherwise, I would have definitely gone with coils. If I decided to go with the coils I was looking at (KW v1-v3/Bilstein/Ohlins) I would lose the adaptive suspension, unless I got the coils that have it. For example, KW DDCs, but these go for 3300+.

In my opinion, if I didn’t have the adaptive suspension like you, I would definitely go with coilovers.
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2024, 12:37 PM   #12
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassimo View Post
Although some have run very low springs on stock dampers with no issue, most do have issues with reduced lifespan and ride becoming harsher or bouncer as the damper performance degrades. This is because the spring is so short that damper being partly compressed, causing its range of motion to be reduced.

Quote:
A coilover comes with dampers and a matching set of springs...

The word is derived from "coil" springs "over" a shock. our front suspension is technically a coilover. The word has evolved to mean a height adjustable aftermarket suspension(springs+dampers), often offered with adjustable rebound, or both rebound and compression or even adaptive, which increases cost accordingly.

Last edited by alohasurftoad; 05-22-2024 at 12:50 PM..
Appreciate 2
      05-22-2024, 12:50 PM   #13
swerfin
Rep

Another question, on the Eibach website, 440i (F32) is not listed, only F36. But when I hover over 435i, the F32 chassis is there. I just got off the phone with Eibach and the reasoning was they haven’t tested on a 440i f32, so they couldn’t promise anything. However, they did compare to the euro specs and they seem to match up. Anyone have more of an insight on this? I don’t see why the 435i f32 springs listed wouldn’t fit or cause any problems on my 440i f32. I could be wrong though.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2024, 01:27 PM   #14
Grassimo
Private
Rep
Drives: 440i XDrive

Garage List
Quote:
The reason why I’m choosing to go with springs instead of coils is because I have the adaptive suspension. Otherwise, I would have definitely gone with coils. If I decided to go with the coils I was looking at (KW v1-v3/Bilstein/Ohlins) I would lose the adaptive suspension, unless I got the coils that have it. For example, KW DDCs, but these go for 3300+.

In my opinion, if I didn’t have the adaptive suspension like you, I would definitely go with coilovers.
OK seems like what the euro shop recommended me.

They said Bilstein coils. If I want to lower I think iirc it's H & R springs.

Or just coilovers can lower my car?

Sorry for newbie questions, about to start modding and don't wanna make mistakes lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2024, 03:33 PM   #15
danb1979
Idiotic lifter of heavy stones...
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 325D M Sport touring

Quote:
How noticeable is the ride height from stock? The reason why I was considering H&R sports was because of it lowering the car a good amount from stock, but since everyone has been saying in this thread, that it will stress the OEM dampers too much; no thank you lol. One of my top priorities is to make sure nothing breaks. So it looks like I will be leaning towards the Eibach pro kit.

Also, I was looking into spacers. Any recommendations? 10 in the front, 12 in the rear seem to be the popular option.

It's made a noticeable difference. But it's not gone silly either if that makes sense?

I didn't want very low but I didn't want to even out the ride height and that's what the Eibach springs have done

And spacers are all down to which alloys you're running

As an example I tried 12mm spacers for my 18" 405Ms with an offset of 34. It made them poke too much. I've sincee fitted 5mm spacers with a stud conversion kit and the alloys, for me, now sit perfectly and just under the arches