F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > BM3 FlexFuel Kit.. possible dumb question, sorry...
GetBMWParts

05-22-2024, 06:59 PM   #1
sigterm2.0
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

BM3 FlexFuel Kit.. possible dumb question, sorry...

OK, bear with me...

So, since the installation of my FlexFuel kit (running BM3 Stage 2+ E30 tune on the MultiMap) my car has been running great. I'm waiting for my new clutch to arrive so I can start running E50 map... as the E30 map in Sport+ slaughters my clutch.

I decided to switch to the non-FlexFuel enabled Stage 2+ E30 map (currently the FlexFuel kit is reporting that I am running 51% ethanol) which would be fine without the sensor.

My car is not pulling as nearly hard... sort of strange.

So my question is this: I know that the FlexFuel kit with "down-tune" your map based on the appropriate percentage of ethanol reported by the sensor in a FlexFuel enabled map... will it also "up-tune" a map? I.E., run more aggressively when you have a higher rating of ethanol being reported?

I know it really wouldn't be "safe" without the system knowing that you have the appropriate mods for the increased power, but it reading sensor data to down-tune your map... could it not use the same data to up-tune?

Sorry, I know this sounds dumb.. but it's strange that changing this map has created a noticable power loss. This is also assuming that the Stage 2+ E30 map has the same table adjustments in the standalone map as it does in the MultiMap... it would be silly to not do it that way... buuuuuut...
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2024, 10:35 PM   #2
Empire087
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 340xi 8at 15.5 CCSB 3500

So you are trying to run e50 on an e30 tune? im sure its because your car is seeing it takes way more fuel to work properly. The flex tune makes the adjustment to allow it to work by giving it real time feedback. Right now youre just give the car the wrong fuel for the tune its running, and its running like crap because of it.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2024, 04:47 AM   #3
sigterm2.0
Private
United_States
Rep

Hmmm... Not to be contrary, but I am not sure that is it.

I haven't changed my fuel. I have always run around E50. On the MultiMap Stage 2+ E30 FlexFuel enabled map, I was running E50 in my tank (because the goal was to run the E50 map). Then, still on the same tank (with about 75% still in the tank), I changed to the stand alone Stage 2+ E30 non-FlexFuel enable map (because people had posted that the MultiMap is actually less powerful) and had the power loss, instantly.

My logs still look great. I'll have to do back to back comparisons and see if my ignition is not as advanced or the load targets have changed. It just seems really odd.

But I am not sure it's because I am running higher octane fuel than the map requires.. I mean correct me if wrong but isn't that like saying a map tuned for 87 octane would run worse with 93 octane? I know ethanol is an additive (and it's not exactly the same as "higher octane"), but I'm not running rich (which would indicate too much fuel being dumped into the cylinder which, yes, would cause a power loss).
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2024, 09:01 AM   #4
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigterm2.0 View Post
OK, bear with me...

So, since the installation of my FlexFuel kit (running BM3 Stage 2+ E30 tune on the MultiMap) my car has been running great. I'm waiting for my new clutch to arrive so I can start running E50 map... as the E30 map in Sport+ slaughters my clutch.

I decided to switch to the non-FlexFuel enabled Stage 2+ E30 map (currently the FlexFuel kit is reporting that I am running 51% ethanol) which would be fine without the sensor.

My car is not pulling as nearly hard... sort of strange.

So my question is this: I know that the FlexFuel kit with "down-tune" your map based on the appropriate percentage of ethanol reported by the sensor in a FlexFuel enabled map... will it also "up-tune" a map? I.E., run more aggressively when you have a higher rating of ethanol being reported?

I know it really wouldn't be "safe" without the system knowing that you have the appropriate mods for the increased power, but it reading sensor data to down-tune your map... could it not use the same data to up-tune?

Sorry, I know this sounds dumb.. but it's strange that changing this map has created a noticable power loss. This is also assuming that the Stage 2+ E30 map has the same table adjustments in the standalone map as it does in the MultiMap... it would be silly to not do it that way... buuuuuut...
Symptoms that you describe are perfectly normal and totally expected. Some of your assumptions as to how FlexFuel and a Bootmod3 MultiMap tune works are incorrect.

When a Stage2 or Stage2+ MultiMap tune is flashed, it is FlexFuel enabled. That means that the tune looks for a CANBus ethanol sensor installed in the car. Think of CANBus as an electronic language. So the MultiMap tune running on the DME keeps monitoring CANBus. If it sees an ethanol percentage value from 0 to 100, then it enables FlexFuel and sets the tune for the appropriate performance for whatever number it is given, so E27, E43, E59, E82, etc.

The MultiMap tune has four internal maps labeled Map1 to Map4 that can be set using the buttons on the steering wheel. Simple directions are located right in the tune description before flashed.

For example my 335i N55 EWG Stage2+ MultiMap has the following four Maps listed:
Map1: E30 Octane
Map2: Racegas
Map3: 93 Octane
Map4: Flat Torque Map (500NM)

Select the MINIMUM fuel quality that will be in the tank! The FlexFuel tune will SCALE UP from this minimum value that it is given. It does NOT scale down below this minimum.

So if you are going to sometimes put 93 in the tank, then within the MultiMap tune set it to Map3: 93 Octane. NEVER set it to Map1: E30 and put 93 or less than E30 in the tank!

So if you are running a MultiMap tune with a FlexFuel sensor and you put E43, or E52 in the tank, the tune will scale up to that power. So essentially you are running an E50 tune. Pretty powerful.

But if you have E50 in the tank and you flash a static, non-MultiMap, non-FlexFuel tune like Stage2+ E30, that is an E30 tune. You get E30 performance regardless if you have E35, E40, E50 in the tank.

So understanding these principles, with E50 in the tank the MultiMap FlexFuel tune will always be more powerful than a standalone E30 tune.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2024, 09:40 AM   #5
sigterm2.0
Private
United_States
Rep

Thank you!!! That is exactly what I was looking for and makes perfect sense!!!

I somehow missed this minimum setting. I need to look back over my maps and find these settings.

I really appreciate the insight!
Appreciate 1
johnung4941.00
      06-03-2024, 05:09 PM   #6
Kaidenditch
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 340i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigterm2.0 View Post
Thank you!!! That is exactly what I was looking for and makes perfect sense!!!

I somehow missed this minimum setting. I need to look back over my maps and find these settings.

I really appreciate the insight!
I also am waiting to do my clutch, i enjoy being able to use e50 for the high gears while not absolutely frying my clutch in 1-3, sometimes 4th. I keep the multi map tune on and run normally e40 but until I get a clutch I have the torque by gear turned down. I have found that with e40 on my 93 flex fuel tune the sweet spot for not spinning the clutch is 45% reduction in 1st, 35 in second, 10-15 in third and 5 in 4th. Obviously once you get a clutch you don’t have to worry about these, but for me personally I enjoy the boost I see with ethanol in the mid range of every gear so turning down the torque sort of gives you a better experience in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2024, 05:16 PM   #7
sigterm2.0
Private
United_States
Rep

As dumb as it sounds... I had totally forgotten about that feature! 🤣😂

I will try that. I actually ordered my clutch directly from Motiv (Motiv Twin Disc ST for B58) 3 weeks ago and they still haven't shipped yet. The last communication I received was a week ago when they said their machine shop was running behind and it should be no later than last week. I waited that week and nothing. So today I asked for a full refund. If they don't give me my clutch or my money I'll just report them to my credit card company and charge them back.

So far... Not a good experience with them. 😒

But I will apply those torque reduction settings and see how it runs... Maybe now I can stop feathering the throttle and tripping my drivetrain malfunction. 😫😫
Appreciate 0