F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Excessive negative left front camber: buy new knuckle?
ARMA SPEED

05-23-2024, 02:11 PM   #1
pkasting
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Mineral Grey 335i

Excessive negative left front camber: buy new knuckle?

Tire place informed me I had uneven front tire wear due to excessive negative camber. Went to a shop that did an alignment and reported that the left front camber is -2.6° (spec is 0.2°..-0.8°). They noted there's no camber adjustment on the manufacturer part and suggested replacing the left front knuckle ("it has slipped" was what they told me, which seems a bit vague, but admittedly I don't do my own work so I'm pretty clueless). Looks like the part is https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...t-31216792287? If so, that's a lot cheaper than their parts quote ("Front camber swivel joint (knuckle) - qty 1 parts $850", no further detail on precise part number or whether this was to be oem/aftermarket).

I'm wondering if I should buy this part and get a shop to install it, look for a part with adjustable camber (if such exist) or some kind of built-in compensation, find a different part because I have the wrong one, or need more info (and thus probably find another shop).

FYI I recently moved to the Sacramento, CA area so if anyone happens to know trustworthy shops around here, do share.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2024, 03:57 PM   #2
Dr_Bob
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 335d

Hi. Slipped indeed - very implausible. Have you (or another shop) checked the rubber bushings on the control arms and the top strut mount? The bushings can be cut out and new ones pressed in on the wishbones. The ball joints at the hub ends can likely be replaced if they are worn.

Unlikely to be the hub/knuckle assembly unless the casting is up the Swanee. Anyway, that part in the FCP page is the bare hub without balljoints, etc - just the casting and no wear parts. Not sure why the shop think its that???

Apologies, I lived near Sacramento for 2 or so years back in the 90s, so you rang a good memory bell. No-one I know in CA has a BM for some reason, but I hope the info helps. As you've hinted at, try another shop for a second opinion too.

Also, sometimes people a shop will miss something like a bent wheel that will throw the measurement off and go looking for work when nothig obvious can be found.

If you have run-flat tyres F30/31 do tend to wear on the outer edge.

Lower control arms on my Missus 320d (177k miles) needed new bushes for the MOT (UK safety test)

Hange around here and I'm sure someone can point you in the direction of a good, honest local tech.
Best Of luck getting it sorted.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2024, 11:15 PM   #3
LA430
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 430i

Not uncommon. Strut pushes through the knuckle under a hard strike to keep it from going through the strut mount on the chassis side. Check out the thread below and watch the YouTube video at the end. This would be the cause of your negative camber. The thread has part numbers listed. Chances are your stunt is bent as well.

I used it as an opportunity to buy a set of mid priced coilovers.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1807974
Appreciate 0