F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > EDC delete, please help!
proTUNING Freaks

05-26-2024, 06:55 AM   #1
F30SW
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335 xdrive

EDC delete, please help!

Installing BC coilovers in the next week or so, just waiting for my wheels & tires to come in. I’ve searched, and haven’t found a definitive answer on coding out edc. Is this something that can be done on BimmerCode? I’ve also read about the edc delete that is offered by KW, however, if I can avoid spending another $400 I’d like to. Just looking for some guidance as to what route I should take here. TIA!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2024, 01:51 PM   #2
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

This question tends to receive both answers: coding out EDC functionality is preferable, using EDC Delete hardware module is preferable.

Both approaches will work. However, it's worth considering:

- If the car has to be reprogrammed, EDC delete functionality has to be coded out again
- It's always better to leave OEM programming as-is to avoid BMW diagnostic issues later

My humble opinion: EDC Delete modules are not expensive considering what the hardware firmware is asked to.

What made you choose BC coilovers? Cost? Did you have a chance to research pros and cons about BC coilovers?
Appreciate 1
F30SW13.50
      05-27-2024, 02:13 PM   #3
F30SW
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
This question tends to receive both answers: coding out EDC functionality is preferable, using EDC Delete hardware module is preferable.

Both approaches will work. However, it's worth considering:

- If the car has to be reprogrammed, EDC delete functionality has to be coded out again
- It's always better to leave OEM programming as-is to avoid BMW diagnostic issues later

My humble opinion: EDC Delete modules are not expensive considering what the hardware firmware is asked to.

What made you choose BC coilovers? Cost? Did you have a chance to research pros and cons on BC coilovers?

Thanks for the reply! A few factors on deciding to go BC, cost being a big one. Was also recommended by a couple of trusted friends. Thirdly, for what im looking to get out of coilovers (closing in the wheel gap for astetics). I don’t track the car, it’s my daily and I just want it to look nice on a set of 19’s. What would you recommend?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2024, 10:47 AM   #4
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30SW View Post
Thanks for the reply! A few factors on deciding to go BC, cost being a big one. Was also recommended by a couple of trusted friends. Thirdly, for what im looking to get out of coilovers (closing in the wheel gap for astetics). I don’t track the car, it’s my daily and I just want it to look nice on a set of 19’s. What would you recommend?
I suggest to research BC coilovers a bit more. This thread is a good start.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1220322&page=2

There are other threads as well.

Each model of coilovers provides a lowering range that you need to determine if it's right for you. In addition, some coilovers provide independent rebound and compression controls - at a higher price.

Are you looking to improve suspension behavior? Any specific goals?

I am afraid a perfect coilover recommendation doesn't exist because everyone has different budget parameters and suspension behavior goals. I suggest to explore KW V2 Comfort as a starting point.

If you are looking to simply lower the vehicle and close the wheel gap while maintaining the same or better suspension behavior, there are other options.
Appreciate 1
F30SW13.50
      05-28-2024, 10:52 AM   #5
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Here is a thread worth reading as well:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2028907

Great photos showing the wheel gap after installing Koni SA shocks and Eibach springs.

Courtesy of f32ftw with comments by johnung. I suggest to search posts by johnung where he shares his experience with Koni Special Active shocks and Eibach springs.
Appreciate 2
F30SW13.50
triax37138.50
      05-31-2024, 09:29 AM   #6
Jvac
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i rwd

It is true that edc stinks and by coding it out you open up to a much wider range option replacement options. I wouldn't consider bc racing at the top of that list, but that's another conversation. The coding requires a few pieces of freely available software and an ethernet - obd interface cable for connecting a windows pc. Also a decently strong charger or power supply to keep the car battery from discharging for about 10 minutes while you do the job. And unplugging the harness from the edc controller in the trunk.
If you're comfortable with all of this it's the better and cheaper option than those overpriced delete modules which don't have a good record for being reliable. It can also be reversed if one wanted to revert to stock edc.
Pm me your email if you want a detailed guide to follow. I used it and haven't looked back.
      05-31-2024, 05:18 PM   #7
triax37
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31, 2014 F15, 2002 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvac View Post
It is true that edc stinks and by coding it out you open up to a much wider range option replacement options. I wouldn't consider bc racing at the top of that list, but that's another conversation. The coding requires a few pieces of freely available software and an ethernet - obd interface cable for connecting a windows pc. Also a decently strong charger or power supply to keep the car battery from discharging for about 10 minutes while you do the job. And unplugging the harness from the edc controller in the trunk.
If you're comfortable with all of this it's the better and cheaper option than those overpriced delete modules which don't have a good record for being reliable. It can also be reversed if one wanted to revert to stock edc.
Pm me your email if you want a detailed guide to follow. I used it and haven't looked back.
Just installed Koni SA shock/struts and Eibach springs on my f31. We coded out EDC with Bimmergeeks Protool, but I don't think it can be done with Bimmercode.

https://www.bimmergeeks.net/protool

And since others have touched on it, I would recommend the Koni/Eibach setup if you want to reduce wheel gap and maintain an OEM-sporty ride. I have a 1-2 finger gap on front/rear. When driving, nose dive on braking is gone, and turn-in is very sharp. Further, normal road and freeway bumps don't unsettle the suspension - it's a quick dip, then back to normal - no up/down cycles. It's perfect for me (45 yrs old, enjoys back roads, with a wife and 2 young kids).
Appreciate 2
F30SW13.50
Jvac445.00
      05-31-2024, 05:25 PM   #8
F30SW
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvac View Post
Really appreciate your reply! I’ve done some digging since making this post and have decided against coding it out myself. I got an enet - obd2 cable off eBay, should be here tomorrow. I’m going to pay the $75 to have codemybimmer delete the edc remotely.

As for BC’s.. the more I read the more they sound like racelands from back in my vw days. However, the reason for even getting coilovers in the first place is bc my stock front struts are blown. And at $400 a piece and with 160k on the car, it’s only a matter of time before the rear struts go too. At 1200 bucks shipped for BC’s, it was justifiable to myself that it was worth spending the extra $400 to replace everything and have the ability to lower the car. From the struts being blown it has caused my front tires to get a bit chewed up. So again, instead of buying 4 new tires, I went ahead and bought a wheel&tire package for what I thought was a pretty good price considering the brand of wheels and tires. (Ground Force gf6). Say what you may about cheap wheels, I’m not tracking the car, it’s purely for aesthetic. I decided I wanted to be one of the few f30’s with a 19x9.5 245/35 squared setup. The BC’s give me the ability to adjust camber, which I’ll likely need to do to get the 9.5’s to fit properly.. especially up front.
Appreciate 1
Jvac445.00
      05-31-2024, 11:40 PM   #9
sapphire black
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30SW View Post
Really appreciate your reply! I’ve done some digging since making this post and have decided against coding it out myself. I got an enet - obd2 cable off eBay, should be here tomorrow. I’m going to pay the $75 to have codemybimmer delete the edc remotely.

As for BC’s.. the more I read the more they sound like racelands from back in my vw days. However, the reason for even getting coilovers in the first place is bc my stock front struts are blown. And at $400 a piece and with 160k on the car, it’s only a matter of time before the rear struts go too. At 1200 bucks shipped for BC’s, it was justifiable to myself that it was worth spending the extra $400 to replace everything and have the ability to lower the car. From the struts being blown it has caused my front tires to get a bit chewed up. So again, instead of buying 4 new tires, I went ahead and bought a wheel&tire package for what I thought was a pretty good price considering the brand of wheels and tires. (Ground Force gf6). Say what you may about cheap wheels, I’m not tracking the car, it’s purely for aesthetic. I decided I wanted to be one of the few f30’s with a 19x9.5 245/35 squared setup. The BC’s give me the ability to adjust camber, which I’ll likely need to do to get the 9.5’s to fit properly.. especially up front.
I went with ST XA - they are a KW subsidiary and use the same design as the KW V2 - the main difference being they are galvanized steel rather than stainless. All the instructions and specifications have KW all over them. Even the adjustment and height ranges are the same.

I was very hesitant with going coilovers because I really value my ride quality, but these have been excellent. Much less oscillation and still very plush at 2.5/3 turns on the rebound damping adjustment. At this damping setting I wouldn’t take it to track but it’s perfect for the street and still gives a lot of confidence. It’s more stable, while the ride is very similar to the oem ride in sport plus, maybe a bit softer at my setting. These dampers are also twintube, similar to the oem/b4 replacements, which offer better comfort, compared with monotube dampers such as the b6, b8, or BC dampers. That’s another reason I went with these. If you don’t live in snowy conditions, these do just fine on a budget. Happy with my purchase.

If you do live in snowy conditions, coilover covers are always a cheap option to protect your dampers.
Appreciate 1
F30SW13.50