F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > A/C Not working in my 4 Series
Extreme Powerhouse

09-23-2024, 01:57 PM   #1
sakarzac000
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i xDrive

A/C Not working in my 4 Series

Hey y'all. I just picked up my 440i xDrive gc, and I'm having a problem with the A/C. I want to try and read the IHKA codes, but I need to figure out how to even do that. What tools can read those codes?

Also, if anyone else has had this issue and has fixed it in the past, that would be lovely:

When the A/C is on, it won't blow cold air and the car sounds like it's snoring. I'll get a hissing sound for about 5-10 seconds, it'll stop for another 10-15 and then repeat until I turn the whole climate control system off, not just the A/C. I checked the pressure of the refrigerant, and it was WAYYY in the overfilled zone. I evacuated a lot of the pressure and got it back into the green, and it still isn't working.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on? It'll be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2024, 03:33 PM   #2
B58 parts
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 340ix 6MT

I don't really know, hopefully somebody will reply, but I was just watching something about the blower resistor being bad on a used car. And it having some climate control issues much like you describe. And this resistor thing is a fire hazard and can catch the whole car on fire. So you might want to check into that and if it's related to that probably don't be messing with it in your garage and disconnect the battery overnight. Just something to check further into and consider.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2024, 09:42 PM   #3
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i N26

I would use ISTA+ and a $10 ENET cable to get any hidden BMW specific codes.

As far as the A/C. Seems like someone messed with it and may have opened it up. Air and/or moisture may have got inside if was not charged/serviced correctly. The moisture could cause a restriction (freezing evaporator line) that also shoots the head pressure high and cuts off the A/C, then it goes away after defrosts itself and the cycle repeats. Air inside the system can also cause high head pressure or freezing lines.

There could be many other reasons too, like lacking oil, mechanical restriction, etc..best to check what ISTA+ says.
      Yesterday, 11:50 PM   #4
sakarzac000
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i xDrive

I fixed my problem, here's what happened:

I'm learning a lot about this engine as I just got it on Thursday, and I found that there was two coolant tanks: The main one, which cools the engine, turbo, and all main components and the secondary tank which is pretty much just for the intercooler and heat exchanger. My secondary tank was out entirely, there was straight up nothing in there. I refilled it with distilled water and it all immediately just dropped straight out of the car and onto the floor. Pretty disappointed as there's a huge leak somewhere. For whatever reason, it only leaks like that when the cap is off of the car. So now it's full and I'm using it no problem until it starts leaking again which it most likely will lol.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:10 AM   #5
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i N26

I am missing something. You said your A/C was bad.