F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Road bike advice
GetBMWParts

05-08-2020, 08:16 AM   #221
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Well it turned out to be a decent morning with plenty of sunshine and of course the obligatory wind!

Still managed to get 62km in. Average speed was down a bit as the last 5km or so I was dying.

When do you start taking energy gels and eating on rides? I had a big bowl of porridge for breakfast and thought that would see me through but the last 5km I was struggling. I was very, very close to calling Mr TP to come and collect me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
gangzoom1718.00
JR16641146.50
mikeoz2862.50
      05-08-2020, 08:50 AM   #222
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
Well it turned out to be a decent morning with plenty of sunshine and of course the obligatory wind!

Still managed to get 62km in. Average speed was down a bit as the last 5km or so I was dying.

When do you start taking energy gels and eating on rides? I had a big bowl of porridge for breakfast and thought that would see me through but the last 5km I was struggling. I was very, very close to calling Mr TP to come and collect me.
It's horrible when you've underdone it and bonk. I ran out of gas once on a hilly 60 miler, just about 8 miles from home and 4 miles from any shop. Almost blacked out initially, is how it felt. Then felt pretty sick. Took a while to get going again and it was a very painful, slow spin home - probably around 10mph. I learnt from that and would gel or carb drink every 30-45 minutes or so on the first half of any 40+ mile ride. Once on the homeward leg, easier to judge whether you really need anything. Used to take six gels on a 50-70 mile ride, but usually would come home with three of them.

Lots of past tense, embarrassing!

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2020, 09:20 AM   #223
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:

For me probably after 50 miles, in the 2-3hr ride category then. By default I added a second bottle holder (if your frame has mounts?) Then I'd take a water bottle and a High5 sugary something. Then jelly babies, flap jack and gels maybe. I'd need at least one of them to be a caffeine variety to keep me alert and on it.

Good work with the longer rides building up! I'm at 28 miles and on the mini bike it feels like 30-40 would be the tedious limit. Geometry just isn't great.
      05-08-2020, 09:28 AM   #224
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Quote:

For me probably after 50 miles, in the 2-3hr ride category then. By default I added a second bottle holder (if your frame has mounts?) Then I'd take a water bottle and a High5 sugary something. Then jelly babies, flap jack and gels maybe. I'd need at least one of them to be a caffeine variety to keep me alert and on it.

Good work with the longer rides building up! I'm at 28 miles and on the mini bike it feels like 30-40 would be the tedious limit. Geometry just isn't great.
Yes, second mount very useful. I'd take one bottle of water and one bottle of some carb/energy mix which I'd make sure to drink in the first half.

To the better cyclists, I'm sure it seems like I was over fuelling, but during 3-4 months of this / one long ride at weekends/ one midweek 30 miler, I dropped about 7 kg.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2020, 09:51 AM   #225
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Lovely day for a ride out today....

Gave my nearly 10 year old bike a clean today, nothing amazing but nice to see the Ultegra rear mech from 2011 has ceramic bearings

Legs also getting fitter, if it wasn't for two horses causing a minor slow down might have broken 18mph average.

Also got within 5 seconds of my PR on the steepest big of the route, might still have some life left in the old legs .

Going to start building up the distances now, been risking it by not even taking a saddle bag later.

Appreciate 1
JustChris17605.50
      05-08-2020, 10:17 AM   #226
DougMcL
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 40e

I've just bought a Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2 on the basis of advice on here. Couldn't be happier. Well I will be when I get some Zipp carbon wheels for it! Love love love it. Especially in the UV lilac colour which is more grey than lilac!

My old Chain Reaction own brand Vitus will get retired to winter hack status. Also a great bike.

Decathlon's new Van Rysel at £2000 gets good reviews too.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod159914

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bi...920-cf-review/
Appreciate 2
JR16641146.50
      05-08-2020, 10:35 AM   #227
Ridg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330d

Quote:
Well it turned out to be a decent morning with
for me anything over 60km (2 hours) and I'll take a bottle of high5, 80Km+ I'll take gels or a banana. I've got a 140Km with optional 20Km to make it 100 miles planned for tomorrow. I'll take 4 bottles, some bananas and gels. Better to come home with gels in your pockets than bonk and have to call the other half.

I have my garmin setup with a 15 min drink alert and a 20 minute eat alert if I've got food I'll start eating after the first hour to keep topped up. A 750ml bottle will last me 1 1/2 hours. I've always riden solo

It's a personal thing as everyone sweats and metabolises at different rates so the amount of fluid you need to take in / eat varies. The general rule of thumb is you've got enough in your stores for 90mins of hard effort, so take your average speed and use that as a guide.
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2020, 10:39 AM   #228
Ridg
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougMcL View Post
Well I will be when I get some Zipp carbon wheels for it!
I've got a set of wheels coming from this place

https://www.wheelsmith.co.uk/wheelsets

Incredibly well-reviewed on the bike forums and half the price of what you'll pay for zipps with better hubs too (I went for DT 240s).
Appreciate 2
DougMcL791.50
      05-08-2020, 10:45 AM   #229
DougMcL
Major
Rep

My Zipps were £950 from Europe. On their way now.... Would have liked to buy Hunt but none in stock. Zipps were hard to find too. I think in stock is difficult now. Have you tried to buy a reasonably priced turbo trainer? Lot of people are staying in!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 11:00 AM   #230
Ridg
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
My Zipps were £950 from Europe. On their way now.... Would have liked to buy Hunt but none in stock. Zipps were hard to find too. I think in stock is difficult now. Have you tried to buy a reasonably priced turbo trainer? Lot of people are staying in!

303s or 302?

If you do a bit of searching, the general consensus on hunt wheels is they are basically Chinese rims on cheap novatech hubs but well marketed. I've actually got some of their alu wheels for winter riding and they perform well enough.

Turbos and rollers are starting to come back into stock, but pretty much all bike stuff is like hens teeth currently. I was trying to track down some cable outers the other day and have had to buy from Germany
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 11:46 AM   #231
DougMcL
Major
Rep

302s they'll do. NI roads are shit! I know there are better wheels, finding them is more difficult!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 12:15 PM   #232
Ridg
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
302s they'll do. NI roads are shit! I know there are better wheels, finding them is more difficult!
302s are a great wheel, essential a 303 without tubeless compatibility and an extra 100g
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 01:30 PM   #233
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d LCI

Quote:

I use Bloks just have a few in my back pocket and chew along as I go and when I feel I need. Most give advice anyway on the packet.. You can get them on Amazon and most bike shops etc

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Cli...x-60g/326C?s=1
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2020, 01:34 PM   #234
JR1664
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Quote:

Good effort mate.

On a ride of your length I'd take half a bottle of water with half a high five tablet in it and a few jelly babies.

Today for example I did 45 miles 2000 odd feet of elevation and chucked three jelly babies down my throat at around 30 miles . My last ten miles are lumpy and I just need that Injection of glycogen . In truth due to the temperature I'm probably dehydrated now so should have taken at least 500 / 750 ml of liquid.

My normal pre ride food is two slices of wholemeal toast with a thick layer of peanut butter, I blend an apple, pear, banana, non fat yoghurt and orange juice to make a pint of 'stuff' plus I have some kind of soft bake biscuit.

Were you knackered or do you think you were bonking. I'm not sure of your recent ride history but knocking out 38 miles (62km) might need a bit of building up too just in the general physical sense . Coming out of winter I tend to do a month of 30 milers, increase to 40, then 45 (my usual ride) working up to the occasional 60/70 mile rides by June / July.

Its a bit hilly around here and I'm knocking on a bit however
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2020, 03:18 PM   #235
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR1664 View Post
Quote:

Good effort mate.

On a ride of your length I'd take half a bottle of water with half a high five tablet in it and a few jelly babies.

Today for example I did 45 miles 2000 odd feet of elevation and chucked three jelly babies down my throat at around 30 miles . My last ten miles are lumpy and I just need that Injection of glycogen . In truth due to the temperature I'm probably dehydrated now so should have taken at least 500 / 750 ml of liquid.

My normal pre ride food is two slices of wholemeal toast with a thick layer of peanut butter, I blend an apple, pear, banana, non fat yoghurt and orange juice to make a pint of 'stuff' plus I have some kind of soft bake biscuit.

Were you knackered or do you think you were bonking. I'm not sure of your recent ride history but knocking out 38 miles (62km) might need a bit of building up too just in the general physical sense . Coming out of winter I tend to do a month of 30 milers, increase to 40, then 45 (my usual ride) working up to the occasional 60/70 mile rides by June / July.

Its a bit hilly around here and I'm knocking on a bit however
I've been doing 55km with no problems other than feeling tired.

Normally I go out in the afternoon so I've got breakfast and lunch inside me, today was just breakfast and a bit of a jump up to 62km.

I didn't quite bonk but was close. I think I was sweating a lot more than normal as well as it was warm and maybe didn't drink enough.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 03:53 PM   #236
JR1664
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Normally I go out in the afternoon so I've got breakfast and lunch inside me, today was just breakfast and a bit of a jump up to 62km.

I didn't quite bonk but was close. I think I was sweating a lot more than normal as well as it was warm and maybe didn't drink enough.
Fair play. Might have just been 'one of those days'..it happens...a gel or jelly babies is always a good bet ten miles from home but you might be right about the fluids

After a ride my piss colour is usually a decent indication if I messed up, certainly did today ...not a good colour when it happened and I kind of felt it on the ride.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 03:57 PM   #237
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR1664 View Post
Quote:

Fair play. Might have just been 'one of those days'..it happens...a gel or jelly babies is always a good bet ten miles from home but you might be right about the fluids

After a ride my piss colour is usually a decent indication if I messed up, certainly did today ...not a good colour when it happened and I kind of felt it on the ride.
For the last couple of kilometres all I could thing of was an ice cold can of Coke Zero and a couple of chocolate Hobnobs!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 04:00 PM   #238
R0B
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:

Good spin. I'm undecided whether to do my weekend one tomorrow while it's potentially too warm or Sunday when it's potentially too windy. I've got a nice route I am using at the moment and it's been good for my mental health in recent weeks.

I'm a bit weird in that I don't really use gels or snacks unless I'm on a sportive or a club ride with others who are faster and stronger than me (which is most of them!). My body is a bit odd though - I cycle / run better on an empty stomach and can happily not eat for days on end.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 04:19 PM   #239
JR1664
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0B View Post
. My body is a bit odd though - I cycle / run better on an empty stomach and can happily not eat for days on end.
You must have the whippet gene

I certainly cycle better on an empty stomach but only for two or three hours. Is this down to the body not having to expend energy digesting food ?

When I do the really long distance stuff, 8 to 12 hours a day for 2 to 4 weeks it all becomes extremely simplistic ....just eat and drink every hour whether I like it not otherwise it tends to go rapidly pete tong..Its probably my biggest reminder of what the body needs to function - despite me doing my best to mess it up.

Its a fascination subject though and Interesting to hear the thoughts of others.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 04:29 PM   #240
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0B View Post
Quote:

Good spin. I'm undecided whether to do my weekend one tomorrow while it's potentially too warm or Sunday when it's potentially too windy. I've got a nice route I am using at the moment and it's been good for my mental health in recent weeks.

I'm a bit weird in that I don't really use gels or snacks unless I'm on a sportive or a club ride with others who are faster and stronger than me (which is most of them!). My body is a bit odd though - I cycle / run better on an empty stomach and can happily not eat for days on end.
I'd much rather cycle in the warm than the wind and Sunday looks very windy.

I can quite happily cycle up to 26-28 degrees but I find the wind soul destroying.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 12:05 AM   #241
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:

I can quite happily cycle up to 26-28 degrees but I find the wind soul destroying.
Remeber the saying 'Wind is your best training partner'!!

Am planning a trip out on Sunday. The wind gives me an excuse to be slow .
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2020, 03:56 AM   #242
R0B
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
Quote:

Remeber the saying 'Wind is your best training partner'!!

Am planning a trip out on Sunday. The wind gives me an excuse to be slow .
Fine if it's behind you!
Appreciate 0