F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > BMW Assist Retrofit
GetBMWParts

11-12-2016, 02:07 PM   #221
sbhagat
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: i8 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmacho90 View Post
i got mine back on Monday and all my coding was wiped. It took two comboxes as well to "fix" the problem. I've also noticed that I now no longer have BMW apps or any of the remote services prior. I bought the car as a CPO so I am wondering if this was coded in and now it was wiped as well? Has anyone had to bring theirs back to the dealer and was the turning all the services back on a lengthy process as well?
I would run the last seven of your vin on a vin decoder site to see what options you have, such as bmw apps and remote services, if you do, then take it back to the dealer and ask them to get these functions working.
If you dont, then they will have to be coded back.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2016, 06:46 AM   #222
f30coyote
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 335iX

Deactivation

I plan to take the money. Has anyone been in for their deactivation appointment yet? What do they do? Will i lose coding if they are not replacing the combox?
      11-15-2016, 07:48 PM   #223
MailManSJ
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport Estoril Blue

Anyone get the $200 yet? I brought my car in about 3 weeks ago. Nothing yet..
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 09:26 AM   #224
435MSport6Speed
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435i M Sport 6 Speed

My dealer just told me combox retrofits are on hold by BMW due to all the problems they have had.

I'm in waiting mode....
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 11:00 AM   #225
bcornwellatl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulff3 View Post
My dealer just told me combox retrofits are on hold by BMW due to all the problems they have had.

I'm in waiting mode....
I can only imagine they have realized the retrofit is taking several hours, and sometimes a week or so to complete - costing in excess of 3000 in labor hours... multiply that times thousands who probably have this issue... I'd be putting the breaks on it also...

Sorry your on hold - but happy I got mine completed... they will now most likely put together the proper walkthrough and everything, and make sure all the tech notes are available...
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 02:59 PM   #226
bmwjens
Bavarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F22 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulff3 View Post

I'm in waiting mode....

Thanks for the update. My dealer in FL is still waiting for the parts apparently. Should be interesting.

-J.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 03:31 PM   #227
lemonchicken
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i blue

wow, sounds like I should thank my lucky stars that my retrofit seems to have everything working now. or at least knock wood.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 08:58 AM   #228
lo_xyooj
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine 335i

I'm going in tomorrow after last weeks debacle. They confirmed parts is in hand.....
      11-17-2016, 09:31 AM   #229
hsk1610
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

So my Combox was replaced, lost BMW Remote App and Google Send to Car feature, and the car is back at the dealer. The SA just called saying that none of those features are supported with the new service. Obviously, some people are saying their features are still working. Not sure what to tell the SA to rectify the issue. Anyone have any insight as to what should be mentioned or what was done to get those features activated?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 09:54 AM   #230
sbhagat
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: i8 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsk1610 View Post
So my Combox was replaced, lost BMW Remote App and Google Send to Car feature, and the car is back at the dealer. The SA just called saying that none of those features are supported with the new service. Obviously, some people are saying their features are still working. Not sure what to tell the SA to rectify the issue. Anyone have any insight as to what should be mentioned or what was done to get those features activated?
I replied to your PM but I'll state it again here, no services should be sacrificed or rendered unsupported that were currently working before. If they are not working, it can be issue with the retrofit, activation on BMW Assist's end, or their placement of the safety & convenience package on your account.

If all these are corrected and in place, all services should work, as they are for me, finally after running into all the issues you have had and returning it to the service center.
Appreciate 1
hsk1610114.00
      11-17-2016, 09:56 AM   #231
hsk1610
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks. Did see your PM just now. Modified your response and sent that to my SA to see what he comes up with.

The SA did say that my Convenience package was showing up as being expired. Could that be the reason why none of the functions are working?

Is the Convenience package separate from the Safety Package good for 4 years from purchase date? Guess the remote and send to feature worked but now it's not- so maybe there are several issues at play- the expiration of the convenience package and/or the account not linked correctly.

Last edited by hsk1610; 11-17-2016 at 10:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 10:26 AM   #232
aL_bmwf30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw 328i Xdrive Luxury

I just got my 1st bmw 2013 F30 Luxury Line, maybe this is a dumb question, but what is BMW assist? What is it used for? If I cancel it and not have my car retrofit and decide to take the $200 visa refund card, what will I be losing? Thanx
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 10:33 AM   #233
lo_xyooj
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine 335i

What are the must checks when the retrofit is done?
- SOS
- Bluetooth
- Remote app

What else am I missing??
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 10:39 AM   #234
etinifni
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Modern Line

Garage List
Quote:
I had my '12 328i comm box retrofitted the other day, google send to car still works as does all of the remote stuff (unlock/lights/horn) within the app. The only thing that doesn't appear to be working is the app talking to my calendar but that may just be either an iOS issue or CIC limitation.
      11-17-2016, 11:05 AM   #235
bcornwellatl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. Did see your PM just now. Modified your response and sent that to my SA to see what he comes up with.

The SA did say that my Convenience package was showing up as being expired. Could that be the reason why none of the functions are working?

Is the Convenience package separate from the Safety Package good for 4 years from purchase date? Guess the remote and send to feature worked but now it's not- so maybe there are several issues at play- the expiration of the convenience package and/or the account not linked correctly.
Convenience package has absolutely nothing to do with the retrofit and features working. So the safety plan is the main reason they had to offer the retrofit in the first place. Its part of the plan that allows BMW to call police if the car crashes, or airbag deploys. It's also tied to roadside assist, etc. It's the SOS button on top near the sun roof button. The convenience plan is an extra 200 a year, and only gives you the ability to call BMW assist and say "where am I, and can you get me here" it also allows for the bmw online to work. All of which are kind of crap in the CIC head unit models. so the reason things are not working is probably because the combox is tied into the airbag deployment, etc. and it requires a lot more coding to make sure everything works right. and most coding they try to do a mini coding (like just a module) instead of everything. and they need to do everything... full coding - latest version of the code - which is 6 something.
Appreciate 1
hsk1610114.00
      11-17-2016, 11:36 AM   #236
hsk1610
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcornwellatl View Post
Convenience package has absolutely nothing to do with the retrofit and features working. So the safety plan is the main reason they had to offer the retrofit in the first place. Its part of the plan that allows BMW to call police if the car crashes, or airbag deploys. It's also tied to roadside assist, etc. It's the SOS button on top near the sun roof button. The convenience plan is an extra 200 a year, and only gives you the ability to call BMW assist and say "where am I, and can you get me here" it also allows for the bmw online to work. All of which are kind of crap in the CIC head unit models. so the reason things are not working is probably because the combox is tied into the airbag deployment, etc. and it requires a lot more coding to make sure everything works right. and most coding they try to do a mini coding (like just a module) instead of everything. and they need to do everything... full coding - latest version of the code - which is 6 something.
Thanks. I have incorporated yours and sbhagat's comments in the email to the SA, BMW Genius, and the shop foreman.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 11:42 AM   #237
bcornwellatl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. I have incorporated yours and sbhagat's comments in the email to the SA, BMW Genius, and the shop foreman.
yeah, they didn't do it right. Now to just confirm - you DO have a current safety plan, right? I suspect one of a few things. Either 1. They did not transfer your account to the new number that was given to your COMBOX - thus the app doesn't work. Or 2. They didn't do the retrofit right and didn't verify it's actually coded into the head unit ... but the first is the problem... if the phone is working when you hit SOS. but the ONLY thing that I use more than anything else is the send to car feature... so that was the first thing I checked. Once I saw that working - I was fine with whatever else.. but that service is tied to the safety plan... you can also call BMW assist and ask them to create a case for the bmw app and send to car feature not working... they are responsible, since it's their service... then they can update the dealer where the retrofit was done if there is a physical problem, and not a backend problem on their side. Just be prepared to be on the phone for a while with them...
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 11:43 AM   #238
etinifni
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Modern Line

Garage List
This is what integration level they updated my car when installing new comm box according to my SA f020-03-502. I'm assuming that's the newest version.
      11-17-2016, 11:55 AM   #239
bcornwellatl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by etinifni View Post
This is what integration level they updated my car when installing new comm box according to my SA f020-03-502. I'm assuming that's the newest version.
Ummm I'll have to check mine - I know the latest PsdZDATA file is v.60

I'll check my car later when I get a chance and see what version I'm on.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 11:56 AM   #240
bcornwellatl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcornwellatl View Post
Ummm I'll have to check mine - I know the latest PsdZDATA file is v.60

I'll check my car later when I get a chance and see what version I'm on.
but everything for you works... but I saw you said your calendar didn't work. Did you install the BMW connected APP and plug it up via USB? and then tell the app it has access to your calendar? Might be the issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 12:01 PM   #241
aabrea2
Registered
Rep

Hello Everyone - Newbie here. Was hoping to find some resolution to my retrofit problems but instead I am finding much company in misery. My car was in shop for four days for retrofit. When returned to me Bluetooth no longer worked and SOS call went to local 911 instead of BMW Assist call center. Brought it back to dealer. Bluetooth and SOS destination fixed but I cannot send anything to car such as unlock, flash lights, My Info directions from Google. Car can also not be located on map in BMW apps on iPhone.

Calls to BMW Assist were quite frustrating. No continuity between agents and contradictory advice and information. A call to BMW Genius was a little more encouraging but still waiting for a call back from them after two days.

I honestly don't know where to go next to try and solve this problem. Any suggestions are welcome.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 12:07 PM   #242
hsk1610
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aabrea2 View Post
Hello Everyone - Newbie here. Was hoping to find some resolution to my retrofit problems but instead I am finding much company in misery. My car was in shop for four days for retrofit. When returned to me Bluetooth no longer worked and SOS call went to local 911 instead of BMW Assist call center. Brought it back to dealer. Bluetooth and SOS destination fixed but I cannot send anything to car such as unlock, flash lights, My Info directions from Google. Car can also not be located on map in BMW apps on iPhone.

Calls to BMW Assist were quite frustrating. No continuity between agents and contradictory advice and information. A call to BMW Genius was a little more encouraging but still waiting for a call back from them after two days.

I honestly don't know where to go next to try and solve this problem. Any suggestions are welcome.
My car is at the dealership right now and they are referring me to customer relations. Like you said, everyone gets slightly different info. If it gets resolved, I'll be sure to share with you and everyone else on what was done to remedy the situation.
Appreciate 0