F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Comparison Chart Listing 7 Fxx Wireless/Wired/iD 4 Retrofit Kits
proTUNING Freaks

12-06-2019, 08:19 AM   #243
mastrchee
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrymcg View Post
Cool, does it make using the unit rather than the BMW unit better for voice calling?
Sorry, haven't had a chance to call anyone yet, I've literally just updated it.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 08:57 AM   #244
floc
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
2017 F87 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanos10 View Post
I have applied the update and can't see any change. Android auto is still not in widescreen mode but I think this could be due the BMW screen resolution.
I think you are right. I'm still on my android headunit and using androidauto I have to "force" the output resolution to be widescreen in 480p. Widescreen aa seems to be designed for 720p
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 12:41 PM   #245
fantanas
First Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: F33 435d

Quote:
Originally Posted by floc View Post
Quote:
I have applied the update and can't see any change. Android auto is still not in widescreen mode but I think this could be due the BMW screen resolution.
I think you are right. I'm still on my android headunit and using androidauto I have to "force" the output resolution to be widescreen in 480p. Widescreen aa seems to be designed for 720p
Can somebody check for me if when connected to the car Bluetooth for a call, you hear the waze notifications over car play?

Also, can somebody send me a link to the CZ shop?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 01:05 PM   #246
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantanas View Post
Can somebody check for me if when connected to the car Bluetooth for a call, you hear the waze notifications over car play?

It's not a shop in CZ, it's the same aliexpress seller but they have stock in Spain and CZ too.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...284a655enQXYDx
Appreciate 1
fantanas115.50
      12-06-2019, 01:18 PM   #247
fantanas
First Lieutenant
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cossie1 View Post
Quote:

It's not a shop in CZ, it's the same aliexpress seller but they have stock in Spain and CZ too.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...284a655enQXYDx
Thank you for the link.

Does anyone know about the sound?

Also, will it work on my car? I have a 10/15 4 series with the HK system and ID4. But I have NBT Evo. I also have the wide screen.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 02:11 PM   #248
terrymcg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Done the update and got the mic controls but using this unit for BT calls still seems pretty bad. Person in the other end says the sound is pretty bad and the voice in the car sends very distorted. Better off just using the cars BT
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 02:43 PM   #249
fantanas
First Lieutenant
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Done the update and got the mic controls but using this unit for BT calls still seems pretty bad. Person in the other end says the sound is pretty bad and the voice in the car sends very distorted. Better off just using the cars BT
When you use the Car BT for calls do you hear notifications from waze through CarPlay?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 02:45 PM   #250
terrymcg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
When you use the Car BT for calls do you hear notifications from waze through CarPlay?
No you won't as it uses the Aux input for all Carplay sound so the aux will not override the cars BT system.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 02:56 PM   #251
fantanas
First Lieutenant
Greece
Rep

Will it work on my car? I have a 10/15 4 series with the HK system and ID4. But I have NBT Evo. I also have the wide screen
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 04:49 PM   #252
floc
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
2017 F87 M2  [0.00]
ID4 2015 should be NBT, not NBT EVO
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 05:06 PM   #253
touchmynappa
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 125i

Some info from a F20. I thought it could be interesting for someone, even if this is the F30 forum.

I use the Andream CarPlay box with with my F20/125i from 2016/04 LCI. HU_NBT (perhaps HU_NBT_EVO, but bimmercode says HU_NBT)/ID4 and HK. No nav, but I upgraded the 6.5" to a 8.8" display, and coded the HU_NBT for wide display and changed the resolution. Works great with ID4 with sharp resolution, split screen and all.

I only tried Android Auto so far (wired). I also updated my unit with the software that was previously posted in this thread. Worked fine.

Experiences so far:
1) Sound is much better than I thought it would be. I can't hear any difference from streaming BT audio really. This is with HK. I think the F20 HK is a bit more ghetto than F30, but not sure.
2) Original rear camera is a bit glitchy, at least in Android Auto. It jumps to the rear camera when putting gear in reverse, then back to Android Auto after a few seconds. Annoying, but I don't use the rear camera much anyway.
3) GPS can be a bit finicky. I assume it only uses the phone GPS. After driving a bit it locks itself reasonably well. Will check exact resolution with a GPS app.
4) Android Auto resolution doesn't look "stretched" to me, it just looks like it's not using the whole screen resolution. The icons are still round. Pretty annoying. Not as sharp as the ID4 menus. It's totally usable of course, and looks decent. Just a bit "fuzzy".
5) All Android Auto apps I tried worked fine with the buttons I have on the wheel (M-Sport). I guess the F20 M-Sport wheel might differ from the F30. Not sure.
6) Call quality seems to be as usual (very good) according to the people I called from the car. It uses the internal mic as it should. This is in Android Auto, not sure if it would differ if using CarPlay.
7) I couldn't get Android Auto to work in wireless. Perhaps it's a Samsung S10 thing or the box just doesn't support it, and it's just a typo in the AliExpress description. The S10 should support wireless Android Auto though (or so they say at least).
8) It's a huge step up from having no nav or BMW apps on the car screen. Especially Spotify/Waze/Google Maps.

So far the absolutely most annoying thing is that it's not possible to use bimmercode or e-sys to code the HU_NBT when the carplay box is installed. It seems like the carplay box reports itself as HU_ENTRYNAV, so both bimmercode and e-sys throws errors since I have HU_NBT. I thought the box would be completely pass-through. If I want to code something into the HU_NBT, I have to disconnect the carplay box, code whatever values in the HU_NBT, and then reconnect the carplay box. I mailed Andream them about it and hopefully it gets fixed. I guess there is zero chance of that.

Last edited by touchmynappa; 12-06-2019 at 07:34 PM.. Reason: More details
Appreciate 1
fantanas115.50
      12-06-2019, 05:10 PM   #254
fantanas
First Lieutenant
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Between 07/2015 and 06/2016 cars has NBT Evo but id4.

https://www.bimmer-tech.net/blog/ite...cic-nbt-nbtevo

So I am not sure if this will work. I hope it does. Is it possible?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 05:12 PM   #255
terrymcg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I have NBT Evo and it's fine
Appreciate 1
fantanas115.50
      12-06-2019, 05:13 PM   #256
fantanas
First Lieutenant
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have NBT Evo and it's fine
Thank you I really appreciate the feedback
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 05:18 PM   #257
lemonchicken
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonchicken View Post
andream only for NBT??? no more support for CIC?? oh my December 2012 build is really starting to annoy me.
Anybody with cic have a good wireless CarPlay solution?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 09:20 PM   #258
Chris_ks
Private
Rep
Drives: F20 lci

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchmynappa View Post
Some info from a F20. I thought it could be interesting for someone, even if this is the F30 forum.

I use the Andream CarPlay box with with my F20/125i from 2016/04 LCI. HU_NBT (perhaps HU_NBT_EVO, but bimmercode says HU_NBT)/ID4 and HK. No nav, but I upgraded the 6.5" to a 8.8" display, and coded the HU_NBT for wide display and changed the resolution. Works great with ID4 with sharp resolution, split screen and all.

I only tried Android Auto so far (wired). I also updated my unit with the software that was previously posted in this thread. Worked fine.

Experiences so far:
1) Sound is much better than I thought it would be. I can't hear any difference from streaming BT audio really. This is with HK. I think the F20 HK is a bit more ghetto than F30, but not sure.
2) Original rear camera is a bit glitchy, at least in Android Auto. It jumps to the rear camera when putting gear in reverse, then back to Android Auto after a few seconds. Annoying, but I don't use the rear camera much anyway.
3) GPS can be a bit finicky. I assume it only uses the phone GPS. After driving a bit it locks itself reasonably well. Will check exact resolution with a GPS app.
4) Android Auto resolution doesn't look "stretched" to me, it just looks like it's not using the whole screen resolution. The icons are still round. Pretty annoying. Not as sharp as the ID4 menus. It's totally usable of course, and looks decent. Just a bit "fuzzy".
5) All Android Auto apps I tried worked fine with the buttons I have on the wheel (M-Sport). I guess the F20 M-Sport wheel might differ from the F30. Not sure.
6) Call quality seems to be as usual (very good) according to the people I called from the car. It uses the internal mic as it should. This is in Android Auto, not sure if it would differ if using CarPlay.
7) I couldn't get Android Auto to work in wireless. Perhaps it's a Samsung S10 thing or the box just doesn't support it, and it's just a typo in the AliExpress description. The S10 should support wireless Android Auto though (or so they say at least).
8) It's a huge step up from having no nav or BMW apps on the car screen. Especially Spotify/Waze/Google Maps.

So far the absolutely most annoying thing is that it's not possible to use bimmercode or e-sys to code the HU_NBT when the carplay box is installed. It seems like the carplay box reports itself as HU_ENTRYNAV, so both bimmercode and e-sys throws errors since I have HU_NBT. I thought the box would be completely pass-through. If I want to code something into the HU_NBT, I have to disconnect the carplay box, code whatever values in the HU_NBT, and then reconnect the carplay box. I mailed Andream them about it and hopefully it gets fixed. I guess there is zero chance of that.
I have exactly same model with screen changed etc...
I have Joyeauto CarPlay and i use Apple CarPlay(wireless) with really no problem at all (i even can use BimmerCode)..
The only strange for me too is with back up camera which shows me black screen so I selected and just using option for only my factory pdc with no problem because as I said option aftermarket camera+pdc gives me black screen..

The strange with this is that i made a “test” and i used the 6.5” screen and this way my back up camera was normally working... then i put back the 8.8” screen and again black screen when reversing.. (in every case the menu settings were right) Joyeauto told me that is screen “electronics”
and need update but i don’t think that they will find an update for me although it should normally working with 8.8” too..
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2019, 09:50 PM   #259
touchmynappa
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 125i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_ks View Post
I have exactly same model with screen changed etc...
I have Joyeauto CarPlay and i use Apple CarPlay(wireless) with really no problem at all (i even can use BimmerCode)..
The only strange for me too is with back up camera which shows me black screen so I selected and just using option for only my factory pdc with no problem because as I said option aftermarket camera+pdc gives me black screen..

The strange with this is that i made a “test” and i used the 6.5” screen and this way my back up camera was normally working... then i put back the 8.8” screen and again black screen when reversing.. (in every case the menu settings were right) Joyeauto told me that is screen “electronics”
and need update but i don’t think that they will find an update for me although it should normally working with 8.8” too..
Yeah, I was thinking about the Joyeauto one but it was more expensive + shipping from China only (I live in Europe and Andream has warehouses here, so fast shipping) + I was a bit concerned about if the Joyeauto is using an external microphone or not.

I found this regarding the Andream dip switches:

That image implies that dip switch 1-2-4 should be on for a 2016 1-3 series with an 8.8" screen, which should perhaps solve the HU_NBT problem. Normally they recommend dip switch 1-2-3 set to on for 8.8" screens, but that is for model years 2013-2015 of the 1-3 series, at least according to that picture. I tried to set 1-2-4 to on with the old Andream firmware but only got a black screen. Will try 1-2-4 set to on it with the updated firmware that was shared earlier in this thread.

Last edited by touchmynappa; 12-06-2019 at 10:15 PM.. Reason: Inline image
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 10:59 PM   #260
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Mein F Fünfundachtzig Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonchicken View Post
Anybody with cic have a good wireless CarPlay solution?
Go with Joyeauto, it's a little more than Andream, but works either wired/wireless. https://www.joyeauto.com/bmw-cic-1-3...play-solution/
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 07:30 AM   #261
Firefly1337
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F20 M135i LCI

For all the people using the Andream box, I opened a new thread for it and consolidated some information: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=426

I think it might be best if we use that thread from now on. I will try to keep it updated in the future and especially collect all software updates.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 09:07 AM   #262
Chris_ks
Private
Rep
Drives: F20 lci

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchmynappa View Post
Yeah, I was thinking about the Joyeauto one but it was more expensive + shipping from China only (I live in Europe and Andream has warehouses here, so fast shipping) + I was a bit concerned about if the Joyeauto is using an external microphone or not.

I found this regarding the Andream dip switches:

That image implies that dip switch 1-2-4 should be on for a 2016 1-3 series with an 8.8" screen, which should perhaps solve the HU_NBT problem. Normally they recommend dip switch 1-2-3 set to on for 8.8" screens, but that is for model years 2013-2015 of the 1-3 series, at least according to that picture. I tried to set 1-2-4 to on with the old Andream firmware but only got a black screen. Will try 1-2-4 set to on it with the updated firmware that was shared earlier in this thread.
I live in Europe too.. I just wanted the most reliable choice that’s why i choosed Joyeauto. I had BimmerTech’s CarPlay before but I sent it back because it never worked fine for me and i really got tired after a lot of e-mails with their support without any solution due to “poor” hardware..

Mine has dip switches too but I “fixed” them as recommended and made some tests too but no solution for rear view camera black screen problem, seems that it just needs an update from them..
I had a thought to change my camera with an MCCD one which is for better resolution screens but i think that I will make all this work to change it and test it without any actual result..

Joyeauto just uses an extra mic but is really not a problem and works fine, Andream use factory’s one?

Last edited by Chris_ks; 12-07-2019 at 09:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 10:33 AM   #263
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

Quote:
I use a Ugode camera. If you go to ugodes official store on aliexpress it is there. The link is too long to share here. Picture quality is good. The screen is limited to 1280x480 so no point going higher I think.
I forgot to ask, are the parking lines fixed or dynamic (move with the steering wheel) ?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 11:16 AM   #264
seanos10
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cossie1 View Post
I forgot to ask, are the parking lines fixed or dynamic (move with the steering wheel) ?
Dynamic
Appreciate 0