F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Sport automatic -- 2TB do it!
GetBMWParts

03-23-2020, 03:26 AM   #287
rytec
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW316da Touring 2014

When I connected my Veepeak BLE dongle to the car and started the Bimmercode app, it reads all the ECU information.

Now after I went into the option "Electronic Transmission Control" there is the option "Sport Automatic Transmission" and this was Not Active.

So my guess was this gear was not coded yet as to be in Sport.
I changed it to active and coded the ECU.
Then I changed it back to Not Active and coded the ECU drove the car, changed it back to Active and drove again and I noticed a little difference in Comfort mode.

I cannot test it very good now because we are not allowed to drive outside in this Corona situation.
I will have to wait for a few weeks.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 03:19 PM   #288
Charkatak
Rep
Drives: MINI COOPER S F55

About VO and FDL coding

Hi guys! I know this is F30 forum, but I own MINI Cooper S F55 and know that many of the codes/options are similar. I just have few generic questions and hope to find answers.

1) After adding an option for 2TB to VO FA and then coding ECU and it would activate all options accordingly. Simple way but changes vehicle's VO.
2) Before I do that, is there a tool/program that will be able to show me what coding would change if you were to add the 2TB to the FA. This is in case I want to avoid editing VO and just want to FDL code separately.
3) Is there an issue with coding VO if my car is still under factory warranty? Just don't want any issues if my dealer should need to update the software(in case of a recall) and that would fail because VO was modified... Unless editing VO is harmless and even if dealer would update the software, it would simply reset all coding, then I am fine doing it again.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 03:29 PM   #289
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charkatak View Post
Hi guys! I know this is F30 forum, but I own MINI Cooper S F55 and know that many of the codes/options are similar. I just have few generic questions and hope to find answers.

1) After adding an option for 2TB to VO FA and then coding ECU and it would activate all options accordingly. Simple way but changes vehicle's VO.
2) Before I do that, is there a tool/program that will be able to show me what coding would change if you were to add the 2TB to the FA. This is in case I want to avoid editing VO and just want to FDL code separately.
3) Is there an issue with coding VO if my car is still under factory warranty? Just don't want any issues if my dealer should need to update the software(in case of a recall) and that would fail because VO was modified... Unless editing VO is harmless and even if dealer would update the software, it would simply reset all coding, then I am fine doing it again.

Thanks!
Load and Activate FA with 2TB, and use only to code ECU. Do not write the modified FA to car VCM. The result is identical to FDL Coding.
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2020, 04:22 PM   #290
Charkatak
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
Load and Activate FA with 2TB, and use only to code ECU. Do not write the modified FA to car VCM. The result is identical to FDL Coding.
Thanks for your reply. I recently started planning some coding, read PDFs, been on different forums and watched numerous videos. So I kind of know the concept on coding and what I might need. I do have the software installed and just waiting on Enet cable to arrive.

Could you please be a bit detailed in explaining?

1) So after my car's VO is read, activate FA, I then open Salapa element, add 2TB option and apply changes?
2) I think I would need to calculate FA at some point.
3) Avoid going to VCM(for any Master FA/FP writing), Instead just stay in coding tab and read SVT or ECU? - don't know which.
4) Do I then just right click on ECU folder and select "code" to make the car search and code appropriate modules OR do I need to select specific items and code manually?

Really appreciate your help!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 04:33 PM   #291
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for your reply. I recently started planning some coding, read PDFs, been on different forums and watched numerous videos. So I kind of know the concept on coding and what I might need. I do have the software installed and just waiting on Enet cable to arrive.
Fry
Could you please be a bit detailed in explaining?

1) So after my car's VO is read, activate FA, I then open Salapa element, add 2TB option and apply changes?
2) I think I would need to calculate FA at some point.
3) Avoid going to VCM(for any Master FA/FP writing), Instead just stay in coding tab and read SVT or ECU? - don't know which.
4) Do I then just right click on ECU folder and select "code" to make the car search and code appropriate modules OR do I need to select specific items and code manually?

Really appreciate your help!
Connect, Read FA, Edit FA, add 2TB, Calculate FP, Save FA, load Saved FA in Coding Module, VO Code ECU (Right-click => Code).

That's it.

Make sure "Update VCM" option is NOT enabled under E-Sys settings.
Appreciate 2
      04-03-2020, 06:00 PM   #292
Charkatak
Rep

Quote:
Connect, Read FA, Edit FA, add 2TB, Calculate FP, Save FA, load Saved FA in Coding Module, VO Code ECU (Right-click => Code).

That's it.

Make sure "Update VCM" option is NOT enabled under E-Sys settings.
Thanks, I think practically understood it except the sections where you mentioned "Save FA, then load Saved FA in Coding Module.

1) Initially after reading FA under VO, I would be saving back up of my original VO.
2) After editing FA with 2TB, I then apply changes and after calculating FA would click save (floppy disk icon) on top. Will this action save to my original VO file that I saved at the beginning?
3) Then I click back button and E-sys should show: Another module or application has updated the file "name of my original VO file". Would you like to reload it in the module "coding"? At this point I say "yes" and this will load my Saved FA as you mentioned before?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 09:01 PM   #293
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks, I think practically understood it except the sections where you mentioned "Save FA, then load Saved FA in Coding Module.

1) Initially after reading FA under VO, I would be saving back up of my original VO.
2) After editing FA with 2TB, I then apply changes and after calculating FA would click save (floppy disk icon) on top. Will this action save to my original VO file that I saved at the beginning?
3) Then I click back button and E-sys should show: Another module or application has updated the file "name of my original VO file". Would you like to reload it in the module "coding"? At this point I say "yes" and this will load my Saved FA as you mentioned before?
Yes, although when saving FA, I would give File Name something Distinctive Like VIN_XXXXXXX_2TB, so its obvious which FA is being loaded and used in Coding Module.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2020, 09:15 PM   #294
Charkatak
Rep

Quote:
Yes, although when saving FA, I would give File Name something Distinctive Like VIN_XXXXXXX_2TB, so its obvious which FA is being loaded and used in Coding Module.
Good point! I have actually learned more in one day on this thread than I did in almost a week in another places

- Shawn, any idea if I have saved a back up of my car's FA and something went wrong while coding, how would I be able to restore/flash that back up back to my car?
- I have read from someone that there is an app/program that could show which modules are connected to 2TB transmission? Basically user enters an any VO option into that app and it shows all modules that will require to be set.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 09:21 PM   #295
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Good point! I have actually learned more in one day on this thread than I did in almost a week in another places

- Shawn, any idea if I have saved a back up of my car's FA and something went wrong while coding, how would I be able to restore/flash that back up back to my car?
- I have read from someone that there is an app/program that could show which modules are connected to 2TB transmission? Basically user enters an any VO option into that app and it shows all modules that will require to be set.
You can Load backed up FA, and write it to car VCM, and then use it to COde / Flash as normal.

Token Master's NCD CAFD Tool has function to determine affected modules / FDL Codes. It's outdated now though, and has little support for newer CAFD files.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 10:01 PM   #296
Charkatak
Rep

Quote:
You can Load backed up FA, and write it to car VCM, and then use it to COde / Flash as normal.

Token Master's NCD CAFD Tool has function to determine affected modules / FDL Codes. It's outdated now though, and has little support for newer CAFD files.
Oh so basically reverse the coding. I see.

The day I download E-Sys and other stuff, NCD tool was there too. I had no idea what it was. Looks like it can compare CAFD files and possibly something more. I guess once cable arrives, I will be able to experiment.

- In my case the car is 2016 MINI Cooper S F55 with a regular steering wheel(without paddle shifters) and I am not planning to retrofit them in the near future. As I know, MINIs with paddle shifters have 2TB and Launch Control enabled at the factory.

- Since MINI might have some different modules than BMW has, don't know if any of you guys would know which modules might need coding when 2TB is added. For example some MINI forums mention EGS, KOMBI and BDC_Body and this would take care of paddle shifters, 2TB transmission and show info on the instrument cluster. Other forums just mention EGS and KOMBI, no word about BDC_Body.

The reason I want to know exactly what is being coded in the ECU is because if it will automatically enable paddle shifters and my car throws an error for the lack of them, then I want to be able to disable that function.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 05:53 AM   #297
Silverlining_m2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2, 2024 m235i

I changed mine to "sport auto transmission" on bimmercode a few days ago. No paddles. No fancy shifter. Just a 2013 328i sport line. I don't know if I think the shift points are faster, but she certainly feels more aggressive getting through her gears. I think it increases acceleration quite a bit imo. Sport+ (already had it) plus the sport transmission makes for a very enjoyable driving experience. Also I show no codes or errors when the car is on.
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2020, 09:53 AM   #298
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Oh so basically reverse the coding. I see.

The day I download E-Sys and other stuff, NCD tool was there too. I had no idea what it was. Looks like it can compare CAFD files and possibly something more. I guess once cable arrives, I will be able to experiment.

- In my case the car is 2016 MINI Cooper S F55 with a regular steering wheel(without paddle shifters) and I am not planning to retrofit them in the near future. As I know, MINIs with paddle shifters have 2TB and Launch Control enabled at the factory.

- Since MINI might have some different modules than BMW has, don't know if any of you guys would know which modules might need coding when 2TB is added. For example some MINI forums mention EGS, KOMBI and BDC_Body and this would take care of paddle shifters, 2TB transmission and show info on the instrument cluster. Other forums just mention EGS and KOMBI, no word about BDC_Body.

The reason I want to know exactly what is being coded in the ECU is because if it will automatically enable paddle shifters and my car throws an error for the lack of them, then I want to be able to disable that function.
I would code all 3, EGS, KOMBI and BDC_BODY.

Appreciate 1
      04-04-2020, 04:02 PM   #299
Charkatak
Rep

Quote:
I would code all 3, EGS, KOMBI and BDC_BODY.
Thanks Shawn.

Couple of simple questions:
- Under SVT Actual: what is the difference between read(VCM) and read ECU button? What is commonly used for coding?
- Location of cheat sheet? I got one but I believe it is 2014 and doesn't seem to have 2TB info in it.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 04:23 PM   #300
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks Shawn.

Couple of simple questions:
- Under SVT Actual: what is the difference between read(VCM) and read ECU button? What is commonly used for coding?
- Location of cheat sheet? I got one but I believe it is 2014 and doesn't seem to have 2TB info in it.
Use Read (ECU).

No idea on Cheat Sheet. YOu are VO COding 2TB, no need Cheat Sheet, as they are for FDL Coding.

Appreciate 1
      04-05-2020, 01:02 PM   #301
Silverlining_m2
Major
Rep

I have question regarding the coding for 2TB vs Standard 205. Does anyone know how many gears are in "DS" mode? We know is S1-S7, but is DS also 7 gears and not the full 8? I can't find the answer anywhere and can't go out and test drive to try and count them out because of the stay home order. Trying to avoid starting a whole thread to ask anyone who may know.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 01:04 PM   #302
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRii328i View Post
I have question regarding the coding for 2TB vs Standard 205. Does anyone know how many gears are in "DS" mode? We know is S1-S7, but is DS also 7 gears and not the full 8? I can't find the answer anywhere and can't go out and test drive to try and count them out because of the stay home order. Trying to avoid starting a whole th re read to ask anyone who may know.
Its only 1-7. There is no 8th Gear in DS.

Appreciate 1
      04-05-2020, 02:06 PM   #303
Silverlining_m2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Its only 1-7. There is no 8th Gear in DS.
That is what I suspected. I've switched it back to S205, and I'm curious to go try it after swapping back. S mode has 7 gears. So does DS. And pulling the paddles (or tilting the shifter up/down like mine) still clicks it to M1-M8. Kinda makes me think the 2TB code is for enabling the paddle shifters themselves and not much else. The added cooler is nice too as part of the 2TB package, but even though I said I noticed a difference earlier, since everything else is the same, minus the letter swap, I'm legit wondering if I placeboed myself lol. It felt like it grabbed quicker and pulled harder on each shift, but now I'm not sure. Does it auto shift up in manual mode on the S205? It did not when I had coded 2TB... this is one of the most interesting F30 convos to me. Definitive answers are nil.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 06:49 PM   #304
Silverlining_m2
Major
Rep

Quote:
That is what I suspected. I've switched it back to S205, and I'm curious to go try it after swapping back. S mode has 7 gears. So does DS. And pulling the paddles (or tilting the shifter up/down like mine) still clicks it to M1-M8. Kinda makes me think the 2TB code is for enabling the paddle shifters themselves and not much else. The added cooler is nice too as part of the 2TB package, but even though I said I noticed a difference earlier, since everything else is the same, minus the letter swap, I'm legit wondering if I placeboed myself lol. It felt like it grabbed quicker and pulled harder on each shift, but now I'm not sure. Does it auto shift up in manual mode on the S205? It did not when I had coded 2TB... this is one of the most interesting F30 convos to me. Definitive answers are nil.

LOL NOPE. There is in fact a gear difference. S-1 through S8 "snap up", and while also fast (maybe just as?), DS "winds out" then switches... I can't explain it better really. Feels like I get through 4 gears in the time DS gets through 3. Now, hopefully it doesn't do damage to the tranny or timing chain. Feels like I can hear it "whine" more. Not like the dying cat sound, but there's more of a noticeable hum or rev in the motor. Car was warmed up. No faults though.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 06:54 PM   #305
Charkatak
Rep

Quote:
LOL NOPE. There is in fact a gear difference. S-1 through S8 "snap up", and while also fast (maybe just as?), DS "winds out" then switches... I can't explain it better really. Feels mile I get through 4 gears in the time DS gets through 3. Now, hopefully it doesnt do damage to the tranny or timing chain. Feels like I can hear it "whine" more. Not like the dying cat sound, but there's more of a noticeable hum or rev in the motor. Car was warmed up. No faults though.
That is interesting test/comparison Tomorrow or the next day I am about to experience Sport AT on my F55 MINI. Some users say "yes, there is a difference", others "no big difference". Did you have or enable Launch Control as well when you coded 2TB?
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2020, 07:22 PM   #306
Silverlining_m2
Major
Rep

Quote:
That is interesting test/comparison Tomorrow or the next day I am about to experience Sport AT on my F55 MINI. Some users say "yes, there is a difference", others "no big difference". Did you have or enable Launch Control as well when you coded 2TB?

There's instructions floating around about how to add it on bimmercode, but I think theres some added hardware we don't have with our standard 205. A tranny cooler and extra oil pump or cooler? Don't recall and I'm just learning. I have a 2013 with 51k and bought it last month. I have some time left on the non bmw warranty and a secondary starting soon. So I clearly worry about the extra wear, already knowing now, that I have the n26 that's least reliable. The 2013 wasn't LC compatible from what I read. So I'm gonna stay away. Bimmercode is a 1 button switch, and I assume it handles the correct coding for you. I pulled no codes when I checked afterward, and have switched twice now. It is definitely a different shifting program imo from 205 to 2TB. I'm wanting to hear accounts of it harming the engine/transmission if they're out there. I've been reading for days.

Last edited by Silverlining_m2; 04-05-2020 at 07:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 08:00 PM   #307
Charkatak
Rep

Quote:
There's instructions floating around about how to add it on bimmercode, but I think theres some added hardware we don't have with our standard 205. A tranny cooler and extra oil pump or cooler? Don't recall and I'm just learning. I have a 2013 with 51k and bought it last month. I have some time left on the non bmw warranty and a secondary starting soon. So I clearly worry about the extra wear, already knowing now, that I have the n26 that's least reliable. The 2013 wasn't LC compatible from what I read. So I'm gonna stay away. Bimmercode is a 1 button switch, and I assume it handles the correct coding for you. I pulled no codes when I checked afterward, and have switched twice now. It is definitely a different shifting program imo from 205 to 2TB. I'm wanting to hear accounts of it harming the engine/transmission if theyrebout there. I've been reading for days.
Yeah, I am new to coding stuff but learned a lot in the past week or so. Bimmercode for MINI doesn't offer Sport AT coding and requires E-Sys program to do it. If your model doesn't come with launch control, then it is possible to have some negative impact on the longevity of the vehicle components. I do know that my vehicle could of been equipped with launch control, sport AT and with paddle shifters from the factory. My current setup doesn't have paddle shifters and therefore LC is not enabled or Sport AT. I was thinking if vehicle came with LC enabled, is there something else that factory installs for it, hardware wise? So if I would enable it, would be harm or it won't...
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2020, 08:12 PM   #308
Silverlining_m2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I am new to coding stuff but learned a lot in the past week or so. Bimmercode for MINI doesn't offer Sport AT coding and requires E-Sys program to do it. If your model doesn't come with launch control, then it is possible to have some negative impact on the longevity of the vehicle components. I do know that my vehicle could of been equipped with launch control, sport AT and with paddle shifters from the factory. My current setup doesn't have paddle shifters and therefore LC is not enabled or Sport AT. I was thinking if vehicle came with LC enabled, is there something else that factory installs for it, hardware wise? So if I would enable it, would be harm or it won't...
Launch control aside, the paddle shifters are able to be retrofitted, so switching the program on the ZF transmission itself shouldn't be problematic I hope? I do honestly think (and someone may clarify), that if you had launch control from the factory it would have some extra cooling capacity on the vehicle, and if not, you wouldn't?
Appreciate 1