F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Android 11 / 12 /13 HU discussion
Extreme Powerhouse

01-30-2022, 08:13 AM   #287
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep
Drives: E87

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobuno View Post
We will send you a link for the new firmware, 1.8.9!

https://www.filemail.com/d/zaenaqvktpssyyz

You can download it only for 5 days including the posting date.
OTA 1.8.9 has the same date as Android 10 OTA 3.4.4 , so the changelog should also fit here
Except that Zlink Version is 5.2.14

I Updated the links at 1st page .

Kri
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2022, 12:38 PM   #288
maxslug
Custom User Title Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i 6MT, 2014 E84 X1

Anyone know if the Android 11 / SD 662 units from avinusa come with an analog mic input? It would be nice to adapt the factory mic. Or if anyone has any suggestions for a decent mic setup for calls and voice assistant, I'm all ears.
      02-05-2022, 09:00 PM   #289
carina77
Rep
Drives: 2012 F10 535i (N55 engine)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxslug View Post
Anyone know if the Android 11 / SD 662 units from avinusa come with an analog mic input? It would be nice to adapt the factory mic. Or if anyone has any suggestions for a decent mic setup for calls and voice assistant, I'm all ears.
I'm also on Android 11/SD662 but my unit is a dGS unit bought from AliExpress back in December. I have a CIC on my F10(2013) and I have my original mic connected to the A11 unit. It works great on my setup. This 'mic tap' adaptor came from my old Andream CarPlay MMI unit that I ditched for the Android setup. But I guess that it can be purchased seperately.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2022, 09:10 PM   #290
carina77
Rep
Drives: 2012 F10 535i (N55 engine)

It does work great and so far I haven't had any problems with the mic on phonecalls or using Google Assistant and Siri on ZLink CarPlay. Overall, it's a great setup for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2022, 10:32 PM   #291
sahalin2022
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25

The microphone is simultaneously connected to the BMW HU and Android, right? And the microphone works with BMW HU and Android, right?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 04:15 AM   #292
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E63 645Ci

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahalin2022 View Post
The microphone is simultaneously connected to the BMW HU and Android, right? And the microphone works with BMW HU and Android, right?
No, it's disconnected from the OEM system.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 05:13 PM   #293
gian325
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320d F31

is it slow in startup HU?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 07:33 PM   #294
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gian325 View Post
is it slow in startup HU?
About 30sec from ignition on to fully booted.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 09:48 AM   #295
nobuno
Private
Rep
Drives: 535I 335I

The unit of ksw Android 11 seems to have a bug that GPS is not reflected in real time on Google Maps etc. often when restarting. Even if the vehicle moves, the position of the vehicle on the map does not move. Turning the location information off and on from the settings screen works fine, but I can't figure out what's wrong. Do you guys have such a phenomenon?
With a GPS tester, GPS is firmly enthroned. The map of the id7 launcher moves, but when I open the Google map, the position of my vehicle does not move. That's the phenomenon. If you turn off /on location information from Android settings, it will start working.

Last edited by nobuno; 02-08-2022 at 10:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 10:14 AM   #296
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
The unit of ksw Android 11 seems to have a bug that GPS is not reflected in real time on Google Maps etc. often when restarting. Even if the vehicle moves, the position of the vehicle on the map does not move. Turning the location information off and on from the settings screen works fine, but I can't figure out what's wrong. Do you guys have such a phenomenon?
With a GPS tester, GPS is firmly enthroned. The map of the id7 launcher moves, but when I open the Google map, the position of my vehicle does not move. That's the phenomenon. If you turn off /on location information from Android settings, it will start working.
I remember when Nicolas had some issues with GPS on Android 11 as well. He ended up implementing a fix of some sort (GPS initialiser) in his FlowUX Launcher. If you're on Discord maybe it's worth reporting to Jellepepe and ask him to implement a similar solution. This is clearly KSW issue but can be sorted in a 3rd part app like a community launcher.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 09:28 AM   #297
sahalin2022
Rep

Quote:
I installed on my bmw (BMW X3 F25 NBT) HU Android 11 sd 662 6/128g. Settings:
- HU Android uses original bluetooth
- my Android phone is connected to my bmw hu via bluetooth
- Android HU version: Ksw-R-M600_OS_v.1.5.2 / MCU 023055dGS-NBT-GTH-DC-210223

I have the following problem:
- when people call to my phone, the Android will immediately switch to BMW HU
- I answer the call with the button on my phone
- I also end the call with the button on my phone
- Android stays in bmw HU after end of call
- to switch to Android, I need to make a tap on the Android screen
- after that, there is a switch to Android, and all programs that were running are closed. And I have to restart them.

If I call other people from my phone, there is no switching to BMW HU and after the call ends, I do not need to restart running programs.

When I am talking on a my phone via BMW HU bluetooth, I want the Android HU not to switch to the BMW HU and all running programs are not terminated.

Please help me to solve the above problem
The problem with incoming calls was solved.
It helped to solve the problem by installing and configuring KSW TooKit. Now, with an incoming call, Android HU switches to OEM HU. During a call (without interrupting the call) or after ends call, I can tap on the screen to return to Android and all previously running applications will continue to work!
Appreciate 1
Mjam136.00
      02-15-2022, 08:48 AM   #298
nobuno
Private
Rep
Drives: 535I 335I

Quote:
The problem with incoming calls was solved.
It helped to solve the problem by installing and configuring KSW TooKit. Now, with an incoming call, Android HU switches to OEM HU. During a call (without interrupting the call) or after ends call, I can tap on the screen to return to Android and all previously running applications will continue to work!
splendid! Can you share that composition?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 09:24 AM   #299
sahalin2022
Rep

Quote:
splendid! Can you share that composition?
discussion and installation of the KSW-ToolKit here:
https://discord.gg/AVPXybZX
and in sections: #community-apps
my System Tweaks setting:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
fe7565609.50
      02-18-2022, 07:59 PM   #300
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i N26

I figure I check back here after a few months and see if there are any true reflection-free, anti-glare (OEM quality) HU screens available? I mean confirmed by users, not just advertised.

I have been using an MMI box with OEM 10" screen because the Android 10 HU reflection made it near useless, but keeping an eye on any improvements.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 09:54 PM   #301
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fe7565 View Post
I figure I check back here after a few months and see if there are any true reflection-free, anti-glare (OEM quality) HU screens available? I mean confirmed by users, not just advertised.

I have been using an MMI box with OEM 10" screen because the Android 10 HU reflection made it near useless, but keeping an eye on any improvements.
Unfortunately forums do not allow for reaction to a post, otherwise I would react with a big, fat LOL 🤣

But because this is already a full reply, let me explain: concept of improvement is completely foreign to Chinese. They don't seek to make improvements, they seek to make as much money as possible with minimum effort (i.e. dev time and hardware development). Once a design is set, it's set in stone and even when they do a refresh like SD662 was to SD625, it's done again with the lowest amount of effort possible. That's why beside a very marginal improvements from the SoC itself and a bit more RAM and storage, "new" units are identical to "old" ones. Even the code is carried over form SD625 and only a few lines are added here and there to address Android 11's API changes.

Automotive screens are expensive, complex and take a lot of R&D time. Android unit screens are simply tablet screens with different aspect ratio - not fit for purpose. Chinese will not invest time and money to develop safe, good quality screens for these units... I don't even want to think how many sharp glass shards would be flying in one's face during crash with one of these screens.

Sorry if I've been harsh, not my intentions - well not towards you. It's just my view on the matter.
Appreciate 1
fe7565609.50
      02-18-2022, 10:22 PM   #302
patamat
Rep
Drives: F46 218i

What bothers me:
Some 4x4 shop YT video advertised the BT 5 capability of the HUs. But still wireless AA/CP seem not to be working together w/ oem BT due to connection sequence issues? Other than that no significant improvements visible.

Workaround: forget AA/CP and use headunit apps (gmaps/spotify mainly). But they are purely touch controlled which I do not like.

Am I wrong or is it just like that and I should check how to mount artermarket mic to android HU without ruining my interior or oem system? But from the Research i note that NBT is way superior compared to android bt.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 10:50 PM   #303
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i N26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedErik View Post
Unfortunately forums do not allow for reaction to a post, otherwise I would react with a big, fat LOL 🤣

But because this is already a full reply, let me explain: concept of improvement is completely foreign to Chinese. They don't seek to make improvements, they seek to make as much money as possible with minimum effort (i.e. dev time and hardware development). Once a design is set, it's set in stone and even when they do a refresh like SD662 was to SD625, it's done again with the lowest amount of effort possible. That's why beside a very marginal improvements from the SoC itself and a bit more RAM and storage, "new" units are identical to "old" ones. Even the code is carried over form SD625 and only a few lines are added here and there to address Android 11's API changes.

Automotive screens are expensive, complex and take a lot of R&D time. Android unit screens are simply tablet screens with different aspect ratio - not fit for purpose. Chinese will not invest time and money to develop safe, good quality screens for these units... I don't even want to think how many sharp glass shards would be flying in one's face during crash with one of these screens.

Sorry if I've been harsh, not my intentions - well not towards you. It's just my view on the matter.
Thank you for the info. Yes, customer service and customer demand are alien concepts. Then add to it that the sellers are mostly clueless about what they are actually selling.

However, someone had to design (well, copy part of the the OEM concept with cheap parts) and then make the source code to make it all work, which is commendable. The bad part is that they are not making that source code available for crowdsourcing improvements.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 01:50 AM   #304
rogacp
Rep
Drives: E90 335i xDrive

Hi everyone,

I am looking to buy Android 11 Unit for E90 (w/o screen).
Which source or dealer is recomended in EU?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 04:18 AM   #305
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by patamat View Post
What bothers me:
Some 4x4 shop YT video advertised the BT 5 capability of the HUs. But still wireless AA/CP seem not to be working together w/ oem BT due to connection sequence issues? Other than that no significant improvements visible.

Workaround: forget AA/CP and use headunit apps (gmaps/spotify mainly). But they are purely touch controlled which I do not like.

Am I wrong or is it just like that and I should check how to mount artermarket mic to android HU without ruining my interior or oem system? But from the Research i note that NBT is way superior compared to android bt.
I cannot really comment on BT 5.0 on these units. Bluetooth never worked for me (on Android 10 mind you) and I completely gave up on it. But from what I understand you should have you phone paired with Android and OEM. Then Zilink would use that connect for AA/CP and call would go to the OEM system but I think you have to select it every single time on incoming/outgoing call. Also if you have an Android phone, you can specify what is allowed to be shared via BT so you could untick calls and contacts form Android and keep that only for OEM. I'm not sure if that's also available on iPhone.

I never used AA/CP because I wanted apps to run natively on my unit and kinda imitating OEM interface was a big deal to me. If I purely wanted AA/CP experience I would get MMI unit instead of full Android. I came to the same conclusion, a very few apps were made with controller in mind. Everything is touch and I really didn't like it... hence my keyboard and then I started working on music player with Spotify integration. Ultimately I gave up on that as well. The plan is to eventually finish the music app so others can benefit, but it's going slow right now as I don't have Android unit anymore.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 04:27 AM   #306
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fe7565 View Post
Thank you for the info. Yes, customer service and customer demand are alien concepts. Then add to it that the sellers are mostly clueless about what they are actually selling.

However, someone had to design (well, copy part of the the OEM concept with cheap parts) and then make the source code to make it all work, which is commendable. The bad part is that they are not making that source code available for crowdsourcing improvements.
The reason why they don't share that is the R&D they put into CAN communication. I would love to see CAN communication as a separate API everyone could use, but this is not going to happen. Chinese could make profit on their (questionable) hardware and let everyone either use whatever software is already there or let them develop their own solution. But Chinese do not understand open source in the same way as they don't understand intellectual property and licensing.
Appreciate 1
fe7565609.50
      02-19-2022, 06:42 AM   #307
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep
Drives: E87

Uploaded OTA Update 1.9.0 to the share and Updated the information at 1st page .

Kri
Appreciate 3
      02-19-2022, 03:50 PM   #308
patamat
Rep
Drives: F46 218i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedErik View Post
I cannot really comment on BT 5.0 on these units. Bluetooth never worked for me (on Android 10 mind you) and I completely gave up on it. But from what I understand you should have you phone paired with Android and OEM. Then Zilink would use that connect for AA/CP and call would go to the OEM system but I think you have to select it every single time on incoming/outgoing call. Also if you have an Android phone, you can specify what is allowed to be shared via BT so you could untick calls and contacts form Android and keep that only for OEM. I'm not sure if that's also available on iPhone.

I never used AA/CP because I wanted apps to run natively on my unit and kinda imitating OEM interface was a big deal to me. If I purely wanted AA/CP experience I would get MMI unit instead of full Android. I came to the same conclusion, a very few apps were made with controller in mind. Everything is touch and I really didn't like it... hence my keyboard and then I started working on music player with Spotify integration. Ultimately I gave up on that as well. The plan is to eventually finish the music app so others can benefit, but it's going slow right now as I don't have Android unit anymore.
Thanks a lot for the explanations, i have to resedrch thiy possibility further. Difficuld to find knfo though..
My options are sth like this:
6,5" NBT + coding bmw apps+aaidrive app: stable, no gmaps, 300€, small screen
Add mmi <250€.
OEM widescreen 350€
Android 11 HU 640€

Mmi+oem screen iy not really cheaper than Android 11.

Oem bmw apps is stable but lacks modern navigation..

Sound quality and mic difficuld topics. Usb dac +Android headunit or bmw apps seems decwnt

Last edited by patamat; 02-19-2022 at 04:16 PM..
Appreciate 0