F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Andream MMI Box - Wireless CarPlay & Android Auto
proTUNING Freaks

07-09-2020, 12:28 PM   #3257
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

Has anyone with a bimmertech unit and the latest updates confirmed that the MMI does not take control for phone calls with Carplay ?

I don't know why I have been looking for a BT fix, I forgot that carplay does not use BT, it's all done via Wi-Fi the BT is only used to initiate launching carplay and after that it's disabled.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 01:21 PM   #3258
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Gran Turismo (F34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cossie1 View Post
Oh and 1 interesting thing I found by mistake (maybe others already noticed this but I never have).

I have lots of music on my phone so scrolling between artists or albums can be a bit of a task with the i-drive controller.

But it seems if you turn the controller 180° (actually it's slightly less than this, but I couldn't determine the exact movement) in 1 continuous movement then it brings up the option to skip by letter (i.e you can scroll A - Z rather than going through them all in order) so you can skip from Adele to Rihanna quickly, instead of it taking about 5 mins lol.
From what you have seen, do you think it will be possible to edit the tilt idrive behaviour so it can skip songs on CarPlay rather than move the cursor? (This when outside of the music app, from the home screen for example)
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 01:41 PM   #3259
kyle_4375
Rep
Drives: 2015 328xi Wagon

Hi,

Apologies for the basic questions, I've tried to read through some of these posts but there's ALOT of info in here.

So I came here after searching "add CarPlay to BMW 3 Series" and was excited to learn that it is indeed possible by adding one of the various MMI units. However, I'm a novice when it comes to anything car audio related so a few questions:

I've watched a few different install videos and have seen two different approaches. The BimmerTech video shows the install with enough space under the headunit to mount the MMI without having to remove the glovebox, airbag, etc. The other video I watched appeared to have a much larger headunit and therefore the MMI had to be installed over by the glovebox. How do I know which headunit my car has without taking everything apart first? I don't really want the added steps of removing the glovebox, etc.

Assuming my phone connects wirelessly via either BT or WiFI, correct? I'm confused as to why there seems to be the need for the USB dongle to be installed?

I think I would buy the Andream unit from Alibaba if I decide to do it. Is there any issues or major drawbacks to doing this? I really want CarPlay so in theory I can just keep my phone in my pocket when I get in the car and eliminate the clutter of the vent phone mount.

Sorry for the dumb questions. Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 01:52 PM   #3260
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARR601 View Post
Hopefully it's just the prompt time and not reconnection attempts. I would assume it's the phone which initiates the AA upon seeing the MMIs Bluetooth rather than the MMI trying to poll the phone every so often.
My prompt seems to sit for around 30 seconds, so I don't think that one is it.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 02:00 PM   #3261
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-m4n View Post
From what you have seen, do you think it will be possible to edit the tilt idrive behaviour so it can skip songs on CarPlay rather than move the cursor? (This when outside of the music app, from the home screen for example)
I wouldn't have a clue where to look for that tbh
Appreciate 1
x-m4n148.00
      07-09-2020, 02:02 PM   #3262
SantaEugence
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 330d xDrive Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_4375 View Post
Hi,

Apologies for the basic questions, I've tried to read through some of these posts but there's ALOT of info in here.

So I came here after searching "add CarPlay to BMW 3 Series" and was excited to learn that it is indeed possible by adding one of the various MMI units. However, I'm a novice when it comes to anything car audio related so a few questions:

I've watched a few different install videos and have seen two different approaches. The BimmerTech video shows the install with enough space under the headunit to mount the MMI without having to remove the glovebox, airbag, etc. The other video I watched appeared to have a much larger headunit and therefore the MMI had to be installed over by the glovebox. How do I know which headunit my car has without taking everything apart first? I don't really want the added steps of removing the glovebox, etc.

Assuming my phone connects wirelessly via either BT or WiFI, correct? I'm confused as to why there seems to be the need for the USB dongle to be installed?

I think I would buy the Andream unit from Alibaba if I decide to do it. Is there any issues or major drawbacks to doing this? I really want CarPlay so in theory I can just keep my phone in my pocket when I get in the car and eliminate the clutter of the vent phone mount.

Sorry for the dumb questions. Thanks for the help!
I think the pro nav units are larger because they have a hard drive inside too. Easiest way to check is to just pull this panel off under your controls and see if there's space (it just unclips). You can see in the picture below the space below the HU, the panel which covers that comes off by pulling. The second pic shows the Andream unit installed in that space.
You can connect Andream wirelessly with Bluetooth and WiFi no problem, the usb connection is used for software updates or you can plug your phone into it and it'll charge or also run CarPlay from the wired connection. I prefer having CarPlay via USB as it connects quicker (for me) and also I have issues with the CarPlay phone calling so I use the factory Bluetooth with my BMW HU.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 02:28 PM   #3263
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Well it seems the BT fix doesn't work 100% for AA either.

But atleast 1 of my changes does work as expected

free public image hosting
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2020, 02:33 PM   #3264
jacobtc
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F20LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cossie1 View Post
Well it seems the BT fix doesn't work 100% for AA either.

But atleast 1 of my changes does work as expected

free public image hosting
Give me that update already!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 02:55 PM   #3265
phil5556
Private
Rep
Drives: 330D Touring E91 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil5556 View Post
Does anyone know if this Andream update will work on a Road Top box please? NEW v2.1.0.7.gpe.c (PIN: 2863)

And if it doesn’t will I break anything trying?
Just bumping this. Is it safe to try or might I break things?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 04:10 PM   #3266
kyle_4375
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaEugence View Post
I think the pro nav units are larger because they have a hard drive inside too. Easiest way to check is to just pull this panel off under your controls and see if there's space (it just unclips). You can see in the picture below the space below the HU, the panel which covers that comes off by pulling. The second pic shows the Andream unit installed in that space.
You can connect Andream wirelessly with Bluetooth and WiFi no problem, the usb connection is used for software updates or you can plug your phone into it and it'll charge or also run CarPlay from the wired connection. I prefer having CarPlay via USB as it connects quicker (for me) and also I have issues with the CarPlay phone calling so I use the factory Bluetooth with my BMW HU.
Thank you, very helpful. Easy enough to pop off that lower panel and check the available space.

So, with the Andream unit, are there known issues with phone calls via CarPlay connection? I really want to avoid plugging my phone in unless it needs charging
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 04:10 PM   #3267
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobtc View Post
Give me that update already!
All in good time

I have all these to test:

Appreciate 1
      07-09-2020, 04:18 PM   #3268
SantaEugence
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thank you, very helpful. Easy enough to pop off that lower panel and check the available space.

So, with the Andream unit, are there known issues with phone calls via CarPlay connection? I really want to avoid plugging my phone in unless it needs charging
It's hit and miss it seems. I think for many it works perfectly (judging by the general lack of people bringing it up) but for me no matter which settings I tried, whenever someone rang me they would hear a bad echo of themselves when I was taking the call via CarPlay.
Originally I really wanted a wireless solution but in reality I think most people charge their phones via usb in their cars anyway, plus I think the CarPlay can be quite draining on longer journeys?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 05:59 PM   #3269
nitsuj17
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328ix

Quote:
It's hit and miss it seems. I think for many it works perfectly (judging by the general lack of people bringing it up) but for me no matter which settings I tried, whenever someone rang me they would hear a bad echo of themselves when I was taking the call via CarPlay.
Originally I really wanted a wireless solution but in reality I think most people charge their phones via usb in their cars anyway, plus I think the CarPlay can be quite draining on longer journeys?
Idk...I commute 75 minutes each way to work with Carplay on and have minimal battery drain

But I have a 11 pro max...older iPhones may drain more
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 06:07 PM   #3270
SantaEugence
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitsuj17 View Post
Quote:
Idk...I commute 75 minutes each way to work with Carplay on and have minimal battery drain

But I have a 11 pro max...older iPhones may drain more
I guess it depends what you're doing, if you're streaming music and running sat nav I can imagine it's more severe.
I remember it used to be a big problem with CarPlay anyway, perhaps they've since fixed it on the newer models (mines only a 7 plus)
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 06:10 PM   #3271
Travis1807
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

same problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristi_christiansen View Post
I am having the same problem and my menu screen looks the same as yours. Where you able to figure out a fix?
      07-09-2020, 06:46 PM   #3272
etnsandman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 Competition

Andream Wireless Android Auto call echo is killing me. Is there any way to add the best mic settings to the stickies at the beginning? Would also be a willing beta tester. 2015 M5.

I'm running: MCU 20.6.2.0 and CUST version v2.1.0.6.gpe.b

Thanks for all the great work everyone.

Last edited by etnsandman; 07-09-2020 at 06:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 09:48 PM   #3273
Fishie
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 32ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri View Post
It's impossible to tell if it runs the same software as the models covered in this thread without seeing the settings screen or sw version screen.

That’s the sw version numbers for Cartizan MMI. Don’t have canbus logs in my settings though. If I go to where they go in the video it asks me for a password to open up that menu. I asked the seller and he said that it is “factory mode” and that I should just ignore it.

I don’t really see any problems with the sw that’s currently running. If anything the scroll wheel on my steering wheel moves by two clicks when I only scroll it by one click. I just get around that by moving it super slow half way and it works fine. Is this an issue other people are experiencing or just me?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 03:23 AM   #3274
SantaEugence
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by etnsandman View Post
Andream Wireless Android Auto call echo is killing me. Is there any way to add the best mic settings to the stickies at the beginning? Would also be a willing beta tester. 2015 M5.

I'm running: MCU 20.6.2.0 and CUST version v2.1.0.6.gpe.b

Thanks for all the great work everyone.
Having just tried numerous mic settings for CarPlay and failed, I found you could Bluetooth to the factory HU and just run CarPlay wired via USB. That way you can route calls via the normal way and have no issues.
Would be more complicated wirelessly though as I think the box needs the BT for the initial AA connection so I guess you'd need to then pair it back with the factory HU after connection.

Strange how some people's calls work perfectly though with no echo for the caller
Appreciate 1
x-m4n148.00
      07-10-2020, 04:07 AM   #3275
alexnaoumov
Rep
Drives: 118i E81

Hello Guys!

I recently installed the Andream MMI on E81 and F20 and am really happy with it.

Had some problems with CIC because the seller didn't provide us the correct MCU update file, had to use from another unit to get everything to work.

The support isn't very good, their English is bad and shipping took longer than expected.

I still have two questions I hope someone can help me with.

1. Is it possible to edit the Andream software myself? I mean the GUI and maybe some menu options?

2. Is it possible to code out the "action not available in AUX mode" in the Kombi Module?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 06:32 AM   #3276
kyle_4375
Rep

Quote:
Originally I really wanted a wireless solution but in reality I think most people charge their phones via usb in their cars anyway
One more question. My car has a USB connection in storage box in the center console armrest. Is there any easy way for THAT to become the USB connection back to the Andream unit, instead of having to add the provided Andream USB dongle? That would be super clean as I could just plug the phone in, close the lid, and forget about it
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 06:53 AM   #3277
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
One more question. My car has a USB connection in storage box in the center console armrest. Is there any easy way for THAT to become the USB connection back to the Andream unit, instead of having to add the provided Andream USB dongle? That would be super clean as I could just plug the phone in, close the lid, and forget about it
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...postcount=3026
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 06:56 AM   #3278
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

So todays test.

Replace this:

with this:

I also have it in blue, but as my car is white it just wasn't good enough lol