F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > NEW RELEASE: DINANTRONICS Sport (N20/N26)
Extreme Powerhouse

05-05-2017, 04:34 PM   #309
fate_f30
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Glacier Silver F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
Can you provide a photo of where/how you secured the unit? Thanks in advance!
Sure! I'll get a photo posted on Sunday.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 05:10 PM   #310
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbnb1978x View Post
I installed my Sport tune today. It was a very quick and easy install. I'm running it in (Sport mode) in the car and (Race mode) on the tune with 93 Octane. It really opens up the car and the power between 3000-4500 RPM's feels nice. I'm very happy thus far.
Likewise. After I installed mine and got through some bumps with the app, it really made want to drive non-stop. It's a nice boost and you can feel the difference from the start to just accelerating in a lane change.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 09:04 PM   #311
fate_f30
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkerJ View Post
Likewise. After I installed mine and got through some bumps with the app, it really made want to drive non-stop. It's a nice boost and you can feel the difference from the start to just accelerating in a lane change.

Agreed!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 09:09 PM   #312
fate_f30
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmatt74 View Post
Re Warranty:

So my BMW dealer is also an authorized Dinan Dealer/Center/whatever. I asked my service advisor flat out: "If I put the Dinantronics Sport tuner on my car and I blow a turbo 2 years from now, would BMW cover the repair?" he said "YES, as long is it's a Dinan Product. If I throw a JB+ or something else, then no." (I got this in writing too...well, in email). He implied the 3-4 psi boost keeps the engine running within allowable factory limits, that's why.

Can I believe him? I want to...I mean why would they sell a product to me (and offer to install it) knowing it will void my warranty? On the other hand, it is the dealer....

I asked my Authorized Dinan dealer the same question in an email and this is what they said about the Sport Tune. Question: "If I put the Dinantronics Sport tuner on my car and I blow a turbo 2 years from now, would BMW cover the repair?"

Answer: "Dinan's warranty covers this for the warranty of the vehicle. 4 years 50k miles. But you also have a certified car so it runs until that warranty runs out also. "

Could this be possible or do you think they misinterpreted my question?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 09:37 PM   #313
madmortar
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i M-Sport

Quote:
I asked my Authorized Dinan dealer the same question in an email and this is what they said about the Sport Tune. Question: "If I put the Dinantronics Sport tuner on my car and I blow a turbo 2 years from now, would BMW cover the repair?"

Answer: "Dinan's warranty covers this for the warranty of the vehicle. 4 years 50k miles. But you also have a certified car so it runs until that warranty runs out also. "

Could this be possible or do you think they misinterpreted my question?
DINAN doesn't cover CPO terms so seems like this guy doesn't know what their talking about.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2017, 06:00 PM   #314
fate_f30
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Can you provide a photo of where/how you secured the unit? Thanks in advance!
Photos as requested: I coiled the wire once and used two zip ties to secure the coil. I used velcro and attached it to a near by harness so I didn't have to keep cutting zip ties before and after taking it into service.

I used an old iPhone for my Dinan app and keep the iPhone handy secured to my driver side vent with an iPhone vent holder from Target.

I like the set up and it get the job done. (Sorry the pics were so big)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2017, 06:48 PM   #315
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Quote:
Photos as requested: I coiled the wire once and used two zip ties to secure the coil. I used velcro and attached it to a near by harness so I didn't have to keep cutting zip ties before and after taking it into service.
Thanks for your efforts!
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2017, 08:32 PM   #316
fate_f30
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for your efforts!
you bet.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 07:53 AM   #317
jkwhar
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Xdrive | F15 x35i

Does anyone run daily at race mode(+4)? Also, when calibrating the app/gauge with the engine off, mine shows 0psi at idle. I would figure it would pull a vaccuum during idle.

FOR SALE! Sport line Steering wheel with heated, paddle shifter, vibration motor, no airbag | EDM Bi-Xenon adaptive headlights (SOLD) | surround view retrofit kit (sold) | KAFAS2 camera and ECU | FLA camera(sold) | 6WB cluster (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 09:11 AM   #318
fate_f30
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwhar View Post
Does anyone run daily at race mode(+4)? Also, when calibrating the app/gauge with the engine off, mine shows 0psi at idle. I would figure it would pull a vaccuum during idle.
I run mine daily on race (+4) and sport (mode/car). I run 93 Octane and haven't had any problems. I noticed that the app boost gauge doesn't work very well. Maybe Dinan will fix this?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 09:27 AM   #319
jkwhar
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Xdrive | F15 x35i

Quote:
I run mine daily on race (+4) and sport (mode/car). I run 93 Octane and haven't had any problems. I noticed that the app boost gauge doesn't work very well. Maybe Dinan will fix this?
I figured it would be fine as Dinan tunes are conservative compared to others in the market.

I'm gonna guess and say that you're running on iOS? I've have the issue where the boost is lagging or doesn't register on the app but runs fine on android.

Even on the android, at idle it reads ~0psi.

FOR SALE! Sport line Steering wheel with heated, paddle shifter, vibration motor, no airbag | EDM Bi-Xenon adaptive headlights (SOLD) | surround view retrofit kit (sold) | KAFAS2 camera and ECU | FLA camera(sold) | 6WB cluster (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 10:18 AM   #320
fate_f30
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwhar View Post
I figured it would be fine as Dinan tunes are conservative compared to others in the market.

I'm gonna guess and say that you're running on iOS? I've have the issue where the boost is lagging or doesn't register on the app but runs fine on android.

Even on the android, at idle it reads ~0psi.

Yes, running it on IOS. I'm happy with the power. I almost feel sometimes it's a bit to much with stop and go traffic but I'm not complaining. It's a great tune.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 07:11 AM   #321
saaltonen
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 328i xDrive

Quote:
Yes, running it on IOS. I'm happy with the power. I almost feel sometimes it's a bit to much with stop and go traffic but I'm not complaining. It's a great tune.
Thanks for the info, mine is getting here on Saturday. I wasn't going to tune until my warranty was up, and wasn't interested in spending the money for their Stage 1 tune. With this being just a boost controller, I'm not too worried about it. It helps that you can be confident in their R&D, and the fact that many dealers are affiliated with them regardless of whether or not this particular tune carries their warranty.

Looking forward to more boost! These cars are pretty quick stock, but I did always feel that it was lacking just that little bit. Hopefully this will clear it up and bring it closer to a 335/340i stock.
2014 F31 328i xDrive - Alpine White - KW V2 - 19" MORR VS8.2 - BSW Stage 1 - BSW Under Seat Woofer - BimmerTech Amp - Infinity Kappa 100.9w/500W Mono Amp - M-Sport Rear Bumper - M-Performance Diffuser - M3 F80 Style Front Bumper
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 07:55 AM   #322
fate_f30
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saaltonen View Post
Thanks for the info, mine is getting here on Saturday. I wasn't going to tune until my warranty was up, and wasn't interested in spending the money for their Stage 1 tune. With this being just a boost controller, I'm not too worried about it. It helps that you can be confident in their R&D, and the fact that many dealers are affiliated with them regardless of whether or not this particular tune carries their warranty.

Looking forward to more boost! These cars are pretty quick stock, but I did always feel that it was lacking just that little bit. Hopefully this will clear it up and bring it closer to a 335/340i stock.
I def think you'll be happy. When I compared the dyno Stage 1 Tune vs. Sport tune I couldn't justify the money. The Sport tune seemed like the best option to me.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 06:56 PM   #323
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

I'm thinking of buying this for my '14 320i XDrive. What do you guys think? Worth it? Do you have to disconnect battery at trunk to install this?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 06:57 PM   #324
fate_f30
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxThe_RemedyXx View Post
I'm thinking of buying this for my '14 320i XDrive. What do you guys think? Worth it? Do you have to disconnect battery at trunk to install this?

DEF worth it. No disconnect. Car off. Plug and play.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 07:05 PM   #325
uncleruckus
no relation
Rep
Drives: F30 328i xDrive

Quote:
With the JB tunes, the recommendation is to disconnect battery OR leave car off for 10-15 minutes (for ECU to go to sleep).

I would turn off car completely, pop hood and leave the car alone for 10-20 minutes (if you have comfort access, then leave your keys far way from car).
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 07:06 PM   #326
fate_f30
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleruckus View Post
With the JB tunes, the recommendation is to disconnect battery OR leave car off for 10-15 minutes (for ECU to go to sleep).

I would turn off car completely, pop hood and leave the car alone for 10-20 minutes (if you have comfort access, then leave your keys far way from car).
Agreed!
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2017, 07:40 PM   #327
etinifni
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Modern Line

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

After reading about some horror stories with previous generations of Bimmer's I have been doing just this! I know the Dinan Sport tune has a "stock" setting but TBH I'd rather not press the issue while my car is under warranty.
      05-13-2017, 05:46 AM   #328
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by etinifni View Post
Quote:
Quote:

After reading about some horror stories with previous generations of Bimmer's I have been doing just this! I know the Dinan Sport tune has a "stock" setting but TBH I'd rather not press the issue while my car is under warranty.
I'm still under CPO warranty and wouldn't want to jeopardize it. Do you guys think it's safe to install this? I've done a lot of research on the product and from what I've seen it doesn't leave any traces behind if for some reason I needed warranty service.
      05-15-2017, 06:23 AM   #329
saaltonen
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 328i xDrive

Quote:
I'm still under CPO warranty and wouldn't want to jeopardize it. Do you guys think it's safe to install this? I've done a lot of research on the product and from what I've seen it doesn't leave any traces behind if for some reason I needed warranty service.
From what I have read, there is really no definitive answer "Yes, your warranty will not be affected with this tune," if that's what you are looking for. Dinan seems to say that you are taking your chances, as it obviously is cheaper than their Stage 1 that carries their warranty.

With that being said, I would be interested to hear feedback on whether or not the effects of this tune would be seen with some digging by a BMW tech. My guess is yes, because it seems most everything shows up.

Personally, I am willing to take the chance with this particular one because of how simple it is. I wasn't going to tune my car until I stumbled upon this, as I am also still covered under the CPO warranty.
2014 F31 328i xDrive - Alpine White - KW V2 - 19" MORR VS8.2 - BSW Stage 1 - BSW Under Seat Woofer - BimmerTech Amp - Infinity Kappa 100.9w/500W Mono Amp - M-Sport Rear Bumper - M-Performance Diffuser - M3 F80 Style Front Bumper
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 09:50 AM   #330
Noelified
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36

Garage List
I get that we now live in a society where we use an umbrella even on a bright sunny day "just in case" but why so worried about warranty. I somewhat understand the concerns, I am still under CPOe warranty and no tune yet but not because of warranty. I get the concern, and anyone please speak out but, has anyone actually had an issue with a tune killing a part and costing out of warranty repair? Whether BMS, Dinan, etc? My expectations would be that these guys are doing the best R&D possible to get us quality products that work as advertised and well within the limits of the motors they are fit for. My faith is that they are in the business to make money, grow and make more money (well deserved money that is). If not for this, they chance losing reputation, thus losing sales and business. Don't get my opinion wrong, I'm sure it's not all about the money, I'm sure they have a passion for this industry, but if sustainable business was not a part of it they would build tunes with astronomical numbers to "one-up" the competition and that's where we would see engine failure all over the place.

I'm not trying to convince myself or anyone to get a tune while under warranty if it makes you feel uncomfortable. You should be as conservative as you want. I am just trying to point out a different perspective in this area, while asking if anyone HAS had failure due to a tune from a reputable manufacturer.

That being said, I love how my 16' F36 xdrive (n26) performs but as soon as I decide what route I'm going with the exhaust and the choking EPA/CARB crap....I'm getting a tune.
║ VRSF HD FMIC ║ ER DP custom paint ║ AWE cat back Exhaust Suite ║ NGK Plugs ║Bootmod3 Stage 1 93 ║ GFB DV+ ║ BMS 10mm Front ⁞ 12mm Rear Spacers ║ P Style BSM Rear Spoiler ║ Smoked Front Reflectors ║ Madico Onyx 20 Tint ║ LCI Lighted Trim Bezel ║ Opti-Coat Pro+ ║
Appreciate 0