F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > BMW 4-Series Coupe (F32) 435i 428i Official Specs, Wallpapers, Videos, Photos, Info
GetBMWParts

06-16-2013, 08:05 AM   #375
K-A
Nice
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S SportDesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayani_1
I have driven variations of 2011-2012 535i and 550i. I have not driven the 2013 M sport version. So I will try it out next time I am at the dealer.

You are missing out big time brother......now you can have your cake and eat it too

I believe JB4 has a tune for F10 N55 535i that can get you 40-80 extra hp and torque easily. All the while maintaining your gas mileage. In other words it would be a budget 550i M sport for you without gas penalty of a V8 twin turbo.
http://www.burgertuning.com/products.htmlAlso,

I know Cobb offers tune for N55 and so does Procede. I am not so sure about the F10 platform for Cobb.

In past I had JB4 now I have moved to Cobb. I love my car more then ever thanks to a tune. The BMW chassis can handle this much extra power just fine. You do wish for M like LSD. Now that is not even hard to find aftermarket at least for E92 platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
Ah yes, the current crossroads of BMW: M-B/Lexus drivers come here and think "OMG! This is everything I've ever wanted!" and BMW drivers think "OMG! We're becoming Mercedes/Lexus"!

I honestly am already driving more recklessly than I have in my life and find my 535i overpowered for my "all day every day traffic" location, not to mention got my first ticket in a LONG time within my first month of F10 N55 drivership, so the last thing I need is more power out of this car.... but what Tune are you talking about? I actually haven't come across any in particular.

About the F10, it's becoming my mantra to state how this car must be driven in the right exact form to really feel how dynamic it is (i.e sportiness and luxury with BMW roots engrained). If you notice, about ALL complaints toward the F10 happened with 2011-2012 models with the lousy Adaptive suspension, which is soft as hell even with ARS and all those gizmo's.

IMO a true BMW needs a passive/mechanical suspension, because an Active suspension on a BMW means they needed to compensate for an overweight chassis.

If you haven't, please do me a favor and drive a *2013* 535i *M Sport* with Sport Auto Transmission, because this is the first U.S F10 to come with a TRUE "M" suspension that is passive, and not only has a lower ride height (Active suspension cars sit way too high, IMO), but rides sportier than any F10 setup you'll drive, short of an M5, and doesn't sacrifice barely anything in comfort. It's the best suspension I've ever experienced in terms of sport/comfort and without the hassle of an "electronic" based setup. Many 2013 F10 M Sport owners who came from 2011 or 2012's have made threads stating how it's a "night and day difference", "feels like a true BMW", and apparently even the steering has been tweaked and honed in.

The F10 was really kind of a mess of setups until 2013. The '13 M Sport WITHOUT Active suspension is really a different story I think, and I really wish magazines would retest this car with that setup to do it justice.

Of course, it won't be E60 sporty-connected, but it will start giving you those BMW vibes whilst still embarking on that newfound ultimate refined luxurious ride the F10 introduced.
I will definitely check those tunes out. for $500-1k it sounds very interesting.

Let me know if you try the 2013 M sport F10 (on the standard passive M suspension that comes with it) pref with SAT. Genuinely curious how much more it'll impress you vs the earlier adaptive ones. Again, not gonna be an E90 or 60 but taking into account the F10's newfound merits I think you may find it a lot more acceptable, even as a purist.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 10:37 AM   #376
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayani_1 View Post
For those that have driven a E9x vs F30 like myself can tell you that it is nothing about insecurity. But rather frustration about diluting the essence of BMW 3 series. The most pure of all BMW series. The F30 is numb like a hookers vagina and their is no denying it.
I will raise your insult and say the F30 drives like an Audi.

Last year we went to try to buy a 328i, and my wife came away unimaginably disappointed. She said it drives like an Audi, and after some 10 years of BMW's she just could not go for the numb overassisted steering feel and mushy suspension. No sale that day...

Yes the drivetrain was pure BMW, a masterpiece IMO but the rest of the car just wasn't up to snuff. Now to a new generation who learned how to drive in their mom's Camrys or Passats or whatever, the new cars may seem like the epitome of luxury and performance.

In reality, they move away from the tried and tested true BMW core values, and that is not a good thing long term. In these days of the global economy, luxury and gizmos are really commodity items when every budget Koren sedan has voice navigation, BT and leather and the new Accord has LED headlights. At best you can claim a 6 months to a year advantage over the competition.

BMW used to trade on handling and feel, which are much much harder to duplicate as history has shown. But as some manufacturers are getting closer to the handling benchmark that the E46/E92 cars established (Cadillac in particular, and Audi getting closer), what has BMW left to distinguish itself from the rest? The stupid idrive? An iPad stuck on top of the dash? The BMW apps?

And to the European poster who made a comment about the E9x M3, what a load of ... The engine choice was made in response to another German manufacturer (Audi) when the old N/A inline 6 proved to be insufficient. Even so, the character of the V8 in the M3 has a lot more in common to a Ferrari engine than any American muscle car. Of course you would have known this if you had ever driven one...

I think that any company who has abandoned their core values and ethos in pursuit of immediate profits, has regretted it over the long term. Let's hope BMW realizes this before it's too late.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 10:43 AM   #377
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Let me know if you try the 2013 M sport F10 (on the standard passive M suspension that comes with it) pref with SAT. Genuinely curious how much more it'll impress you vs the earlier adaptive ones. Again, not gonna be an E90 or 60 but taking into account the F10's newfound merits I think you may find it a lot more acceptable, even as a purist.
I think it's only fair that you should also head to your dealer and drive some CPO E60 535i, whatever suspension it has on it. Even in stock non-sport version, it has a sublime compromise between ride and handling.

500 lbs less weight has that effect.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 11:36 AM   #378
KevRyd
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Xdrive MSport EBII

You may want to investigate how often manufacturers develop new engines. Look at how long Nissan has bee using it's award winning VQ engine. BMW continues to re-define it's engines, N54 to N55, new N20. You may want to look a little deeper before you make such a statement.

Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdiggz View Post
I don't know if it's been covered yet, but are we expecting a new engine in these any time soon? The N55 is getting kind of old

Last edited by KevRyd; 06-16-2013 at 11:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 01:42 PM   #379
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkindustries
tired of hearing everyone complain so here is an F32 with color matched air breather (FUNCTIONAL), MPP brake kit, MPP side skirt vinyl, e92 M3 GTS wheels, rear spoiler and lowered

Attachment 876332
Wow! Looks great. Could you make it in alpine white if you get a chance?
      06-16-2013, 01:51 PM   #380
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mestes1999
My biggest question is... why do the x35's still have the same amount of power as they did when they came out back in '07?

SIX years later and still only 300 HP. Let's get with the program BMW.
I sort of agree although it's a great amount of HP and a lot of torque I think we are due for a 10% increase in power
      06-16-2013, 02:31 PM   #381
Nas23
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328xi

Perhaps I'm missing it, but it appears in the pictures there is no moonroof. Is this option still present, or has it been taken away? I know on the A5 there is a moon-roof with tilt-only option.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #382
ede92
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 911 Cab 7MT

Is this bumper treatment not available in the U.S.?

06-16-2013, 03:47 PM   #383
Frosty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M240i - 2021 - 6MT -

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkindustries View Post
Who are you trying to kid? Yourself? I'm not buying it
I can guarantee if I get the m-sport i will take off those side badges.
Prelude (5MT) (1995)
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 04:43 PM   #384
Frosty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M240i - 2021 - 6MT -

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestes1999 View Post
My biggest question is... why do the x35's still have the same amount of power as they did when they came out back in '07?

SIX years later and still only 300 HP. Let's get with the program BMW.
BMW has stated in various ways it is not interested in perpetuating the HP wars
Prelude (5MT) (1995)
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 08:03 PM   #385
K-A
Nice
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
I think it's only fair that you should also head to your dealer and drive some CPO E60 535i, whatever suspension it has on it. Even in stock non-sport version, it has a sublime compromise between ride and handling.

500 lbs less weight has that effect.
I will note to do that actually. I've driven many E60's but never a 535i with Sport/M Sport.

BTW, I REALLY hope the 4-Series gets different interior materials from the F30, which seems isn't the case. I'm sorry, but I sat in an F30 today and am increasingly turned off by how cheap and kind of childlike the interior is in it. Not only does it have exposed metal in between the door panel and B Pillar trim, which you'd find on an old American Truck or jalopy, but you almost get the impression you have recycle-bin plastics at your fingertips. Not very sophisticated, sporty, or sexy. More "playful" and utilitarian which I think doesn't suit a "4-Series" Coupe.

I even think the new M Sport steering wheel is full of cheap/hard plastics and chintzy click-buttons in sound and feel compared to the previous M Sport wheel, but maybe I'm crazy.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 09:10 PM   #386
mxa121
Major
Rep
Drives: M

I think it is quite funny that the AUDI folks like the 4 coupe more than the BMW folks. Tough crowd on bimmerpost.

here is a discussion over on Audi forum.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...better-looking

also, I notice people complaining that "it looks just like the f30 but with two less doors" then I read "my f30 looks so much better, this f32 is hideous!"
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 09:42 PM   #387
KevRyd
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I have the Msport wheel. The spinning selector is more of a solid plastic but still textured, harder to withstand wear. The plastic frames and buttons are soft feel plastic. The leather is slightly textured . The paddle shifter are smooth with a magnesium/metallic feel. nothing on the wheel is cheap!

Kevin

Quote:
I will note to do that actually. I've driven many E60's but never a 535i with Sport/M Sport.

BTW, I REALLY hope the 4-Series gets different interior materials from the F30, which seems isn't the case. I'm sorry, but I sat in an F30 today and am increasingly turned off by how cheap and kind of childlike the interior is in it. Not only does it have exposed metal in between the door panel and B Pillar trim, which you'd find on an old American Truck or jalopy, but you almost get the impression you have recycle-bin plastics at your fingertips. Not very sophisticated, sporty, or sexy. More "playful" and utilitarian which I think doesn't suit a "4-Series" Coupe.

I even think the new M Sport steering wheel is full of cheap/hard plastics and chintzy click-buttons in sound and feel compared to the previous M Sport wheel, but maybe I'm crazy.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 12:36 AM   #388
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

So are you suggesting that we should lower or expectations down to that of a generic brand like Nissan. Even Nissan has GT-R a car that can put most new generations of BMW to shame on track and in outright performance.

Lets call things as they are the N55 might be 4 year old but it is not a huge improvement over N54 which is now 7 yrs old. Both are 300hp/300lb-ft engines both are underrated. In fact in my opinion N54 is the better of the two. That is why BMW chooses to use N54 when it comes down to 1M, 335is, 135is, and Z435is.

So BMW has not done much of anything that awesome when it comes to upping the power in last 7 yrs. You can go out and spend $500-1000 and make your BMW more then what BMW offers from factory now in all new F30 or F32.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevRyd View Post
You may want to investigate how often manufacturers develop new engines. Look at how long Nissan has bee using it's award winning VQ engine. BMW continues to re-define it's engines, N54 to N55, new N20. You may want to look a little deeper before you make such a statement.

Kevin
nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 12:38 AM   #389
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Are you kidding

No they gave us a blah and generic crap of bumper treatment instead of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ede92 View Post
Is this bumper treatment not available in the U.S.?

nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 12:41 AM   #390
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I hear you bro.......I just feel so disappointed in BMW. Why can't they make more awesome cars like 335is, 135is, 1M, and M3 stuff.

When they have full capability of doing that but instead they give us F30.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
I will raise your insult and say the F30 drives like an Audi.

Last year we went to try to buy a 328i, and my wife came away unimaginably disappointed. She said it drives like an Audi, and after some 10 years of BMW's she just could not go for the numb overassisted steering feel and mushy suspension. No sale that day...

Yes the drivetrain was pure BMW, a masterpiece IMO but the rest of the car just wasn't up to snuff. Now to a new generation who learned how to drive in their mom's Camrys or Passats or whatever, the new cars may seem like the epitome of luxury and performance.

In reality, they move away from the tried and tested true BMW core values, and that is not a good thing long term. In these days of the global economy, luxury and gizmos are really commodity items when every budget Koren sedan has voice navigation, BT and leather and the new Accord has LED headlights. At best you can claim a 6 months to a year advantage over the competition.

BMW used to trade on handling and feel, which are much much harder to duplicate as history has shown. But as some manufacturers are getting closer to the handling benchmark that the E46/E92 cars established (Cadillac in particular, and Audi getting closer), what has BMW left to distinguish itself from the rest? The stupid idrive? An iPad stuck on top of the dash? The BMW apps?

And to the European poster who made a comment about the E9x M3, what a load of ... The engine choice was made in response to another German manufacturer (Audi) when the old N/A inline 6 proved to be insufficient. Even so, the character of the V8 in the M3 has a lot more in common to a Ferrari engine than any American muscle car. Of course you would have known this if you had ever driven one...

I think that any company who has abandoned their core values and ethos in pursuit of immediate profits, has regretted it over the long term. Let's hope BMW realizes this before it's too late.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 04:26 AM   #391
TSTA
Registered
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 5 series

Thumbs down 4 series

What I think of the 4 series.
1) Very disappointing........
2) Basically using new name but still a 3 series coupe. Can not really tell the differences. We can clearly see the differences between 5 & 6 series but 2 & 4 series are identical.
3) The M Line looks shit and boring......hopefully when the M4 come out it will looks much more better.
4) Interior exactly the same as 3 series......boring...........
5) With the new name, BMW going to charge more (BMW = Bloody Money Waste)

P.S. hopefully the 2 series won't be disappointing........
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 06:50 AM   #392
MrBens
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSTA View Post
What I think of the 4 series.
1) Very disappointing........
2) Basically using new name but still a 3 series coupe. Can not really tell the differences. We can clearly see the differences between 5 & 6 series but 2 & 4 series are identical.
3) The M Line looks shit and boring......hopefully when the M4 come out it will looks much more better.
4) Interior exactly the same as 3 series......boring...........
5) With the new name, BMW going to charge more (BMW = Bloody Money Waste)

P.S. hopefully the 2 series won't be disappointing........
True, this car looks pretty much like a 3 Series inside and outside, no effort was made to make it really higher end, a "4" rather than a "3". But it also doesn't seem to be really more expensive...
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 07:29 AM   #393
KevRyd
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

So what do you expect BMW to do for the 3 segment, Put the M motor in it? They have an award winning power plant in the N20 and N55, N20 being the newer of the 2 but the N55 with TwinScroll is still a relatively new motor. The car performs at the top of it's class in all power-train spacific criteria. Do you know what refinement it took to get over 300/300 out of an engin? Most makers are still trying to catch-up, most are failing.

Also:

Have you seen the price of gas lately. Alot of 335i owners are opting for the 328, dropping down in power for economy. And you are complaining about what exactly?

Just another E9X driver complaining about the F30, no surprise!

Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayani_1 View Post
So are you suggesting that we should lower or expectations down to that of a generic brand like Nissan. Even Nissan has GT-R a car that can put most new generations of BMW to shame on track and in outright performance.

Lets call things as they are the N55 might be 4 year old but it is not a huge improvement over N54 which is now 7 yrs old. Both are 300hp/300lb-ft engines both are underrated. In fact in my opinion N54 is the better of the two. That is why BMW chooses to use N54 when it comes down to 1M, 335is, 135is, and Z435is.

So BMW has not done much of anything that awesome when it comes to upping the power in last 7 yrs. You can go out and spend $500-1000 and make your BMW more then what BMW offers from factory now in all new F30 or F32.

Last edited by KevRyd; 06-17-2013 at 07:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 07:37 AM   #394
K-A
Nice
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevRyd View Post
So what do you expect BMW to do for the 3 segment, Put the M motor in it? They have an award winning power plant in the N20 and N55, N20 being the newer of the 2 but the N55 with TwinScroll is still a relatively new motor. The car performs at the top of it's class in all power-train spacific criteria. Do you know what refinement it took to get over 300/300 out of an engin? Most makers are still trying to catch-up, most are failing.

Also:

Have you seen the price of gas lately. Alot of 335i owners are opting for the 328, dropping down in power for economy. And you are complaining about what exactly?

Kevin
That's a good point. People aren't crazy about "power" so much anymore, like spending time on car fansites would have you believe. There's nobody who's not buying an x35i because there's better performance coming from a similarly price car.

The 300/300 number I always figured enthusiasts laughed at as something like a joke. I've driven MANY 300 HP cars, and most feel sluggish in comparison. Look at the dyno's of this motor, the times, etc. It's not your average 300 motor because it's really not one. I saw a dyno of a 335i N55 that put out 302 Torque AT THE WHEELS! It hit that at an RPM that's practically idle and held it until practically redline (which is a high redline for a Turbo motor, making this quite a multi-dynamic motor). It's almost unreal to consider the ways this motor performs and the efficiency it gets. To top it off, it sounds like no other motor in the world, absolutely sublime at high RPM's, and is smoother than silk. What's not to love? Of course, the way it's so sharply and precisely mated to the ZF 8 Speeds squeezes every ounce out of it.

Yes, they can squeeze more power out of it, market it with more, etc., but again, I think BMW know that they aren't losing sales because of the power level. They would lose more sales over the weight of certain models much more-so, if anything, and even that clearly isn't a case with the F10 breaking all kinds of sales records.

Put it this way, even though the complaints I have with my car are practically non-existant, if I wanted them to change stuff around, the engine output would be amongst the last places I'd divert their attention to.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 10:03 AM   #395
mestes1999
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 Comp

Quote:
The 300/300 number I always figured enthusiasts laughed at as something like a joke. I've driven MANY 300 HP cars, and most feel sluggish in comparison. Look at the dyno's of this motor, the times, etc. It's not your average 300 motor because it's really not one. I saw a dyno of a 335i N55 that put out 302 Torque AT THE WHEELS!
I've heard that these engines are underrated many times as well, but don't you think if they were actually producing more power, BMW would say so, simply from a marketing perspective?
      06-17-2013, 10:16 AM   #396
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestes1999 View Post
I've heard that these engines are underrated many times as well, but don't you think if they were actually producing more power, BMW would say so, simply from a marketing perspective?
My understanding is BMW rates the turbo engines as sort of a worst case scenario of heat soaked/hot day type situations. I find it to be a good thing to get more than stated, vs getting less which ends in dealer buy backs and what not like the '99 Mustang Cobra and RX8 where engines were found to be making less power than claimed.

I could not understand why my N20 with 240/258tq claimed would spin 255's on the 2-3 shift. Sure enough, on the dyno I made 260ftlbs of tq stock lol.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0