F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Which car play do I get?
ARMA SPEED

02-12-2020, 12:13 PM   #23
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

The only F30 with NBT in MY2013 was the 335i ActiveHybrid 3. If yours is not AH3 then the OEM HU is CIC.

Regardless, this adapter seems to pass thru the OEM display of the CIC, which means that it is the CIC adapter and compatible with the CIC display. An NBT adapter will not pass thru the OEM display of a CIC.

The problem seems to be the CarPlay display output not working/not passing thru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinb21 View Post
After contacting Carlinkit support they concluded that my car is nbt not cic, but I am still extremely confused since the output of my headunit is 4pin lvds although the nbt headunit have a 6 pin output, also my idrive controller and interface is exactly that of I drive cic. CiC- high seems to need a custom connector that adapts the 4 pin and seperate 2 pin branch output of the headunit into the single 6 pin input of the 8.8in screen (screen seems to be the same as nbt) so If I purchase a nbt carplay kit I am almost sure it won't work
Appreciate 1
x-m4n145.50
      02-12-2020, 02:21 PM   #24
kevinb21
as long as it runs :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 328i/ e92 335i

Blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encanto View Post
The only F30 with NBT in MY2013 was the 335i ActiveHybrid 3. If yours is not AH3 then the OEM HU is CIC.

Regardless, this adapter seems to pass thru the OEM display of the CIC, which means that it is the CIC adapter and compatible with the CIC display. An NBT adapter will not pass thru the OEM display of a CIC.

The problem seems to be the CarPlay display output not working/not passing thru.

Quote:
After contacting Carlinkit support they concluded that my car is nbt not cic, but I am still extremely confused since the output of my headunit is 4pin lvds although the nbt headunit have a 6 pin output, also my idrive controller and interface is exactly that of I drive cic. CiC- high seems to need a custom connector that adapts the 4 pin and seperate 2 pin branch output of the headunit into the single 6 pin input of the 8.8in screen (screen seems to be the same as nbt) so If I purchase a nbt carplay kit I am almost sure it won't work
I will take the car back apart and re try the install once again, I will update on what happens along with as many pictures as I can get of the unit and the install
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 04:27 PM   #25
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

In theory, the NBT should work.

As you connect the current LVDS cable from the back of the screen, into the carplay box, so you don't remove the LVDS cable from the headunit.

Your headunit will trigger the carplay box as if it was the screen.

Then you run a new cable from the carplay box to the screen.

The NBT comes with a new quadlock connector for power etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 09:59 PM   #26
kevinb21
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cossie1 View Post

As you connect the current LVDS cable from the back of the screen, into the carplay box, so you don't remove the LVDS cable from the headunit.

Quote:

Would the nbt carplays quadlock connector work with my cic-high headunit since the idrive controller of nbt and cic is different along with presumably some other minor things?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 05:00 AM   #27
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Would the nbt carplays quadlock connector work with my cic-high headunit since the idrive controller of nbt and cic is different along with presumably some other minor things?
I don't know for sure as I haven't ever tried it, but the headunit controls the i-drive controller not the carplay box (with NBT atleast).

The carplay box is just a pass-through for everything to the screen, except for when Carplay / AA is being used, at which point it interrupts the video signal to the screen to give the required graphics.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 10:51 AM   #28
kevinb21
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know for sure as I haven't ever tried it, but the headunit controls the i-drive controller not the carplay box (with NBT atleast).

The carplay box is just a pass-through for everything to the screen, except for when Carplay / AA is being used, at which point it interrupts the video signal to the screen to give the required graphics.
That just concerns me as the nbt controller uses KCAN2 bus while the cic controller communicates on KCAN1,

That and I am afraid that there might be minor differences in the cic quadlock like the backup camera or combox etc, that the nbt patch quadlock for carplay won't work with or wont connect to... also if the CarPlay box is using input from the controller when In CarPlay mode, the cic controller might not communicate properly since the CarPlay box is presumably expecting KCAN2 input...

I'm not sure... I am no expert in idrive comparability
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 11:43 AM   #29
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

I don't know the answer sorry.

If carlinkit has said you need the NBT box, then tell them you will order it, so long as they cover the return costs if it doesn't work.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 10:21 PM   #30
dmonteiro182
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 2013

I am also having this issue, I plan on getting Car Play or Avin USA. would love to get the figured out. look below HIGH-CIC

https://m.imgur.com/a/vCa2mkW
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 01:58 PM   #31
kevinb21
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't know the answer sorry.

If carlinkit has said you need the NBT box, then tell them you will order it, so long as they cover the return costs if it doesn't work.
Ok I went and tried again to install the cic Carlinkit box in all the different switch combinations and none of them worked, but when I was there I took pictures of the lvds cable going into the headunit to show how the cable for the display is a 6 pin while the headunit uses the 4 pin, lastly I wanted to see if my connector would work with nbt, here are the images:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 02:28 PM   #32
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok I went and tried again to install the cic Carlinkit box in all the different switch combinations and none of them worked, but when I was there I took pictures of the lvds cable going into the headunit to show how the cable for the display is a 6 pin while the headunit uses the 4 pin, lastly I wanted to see if my connector would work with nbt, here are the images:
I do not think that an NBT Carlinkit box will work in your car as the NBT OEM HU has an LVDS 6pin output -your CIC has a LVDS 4pin + a 2pin external 12V/ground outputs. Your box seems to be working, their CarPlay output is not. Ask for a new box or a way to upgrade the firmware of this one.

The correct Carlink box for the CIC should be LVDS 4pin input/6pin output. If you are seeing the OEM iDrive display with the Carlinkit box connected then the problem is the CarPlay output through the LVDS 6pin cable (4pin video and 2pin 12V/ground). "No Signal" means that the 12V/ground signals are provided by the Carlinkit box, the 4pin video signal is not.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 02:51 PM   #33
dmonteiro182
Rep

After looking into this, i believe NBT is the box needed. You will need to take the screen 6PIN, and connect it to the carplay box. Once you do that they Provide you a 6 PIN to 6PIN you take that plug it to the carplay box, and back into the screen. So in theory you never take the 4 PIN out of the head unit. As for the head unit cable it's a 6PIN to 4PIN correct ? 6PIN in screen and 4PIN in head unit ?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 02:54 PM   #34
kevinb21
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encanto View Post
Quote:
I do not think that an NBT Carlinkit box will work in your car as the NBT OEM HU has an LVDS 6pin output -your CIC has a LVDS 4pin + a 2pin external 12V/ground outputs. Your box seems to be working, their CarPlay output is not. Ask for a new box or a way to upgrade the firmware of this one.

The correct Carlink box for the CIC should be LVDS 4pin input/6pin output. If you are seeing the OEM iDrive display with the Carlinkit box connected then the problem is the CarPlay output through the LVDS 6pin cable (4pin video and 2pin 12V/ground). "No Signal" means that the 12V/ground signals are provided by the Carlinkit box, the 4pin video signal is not.
No, the cic box I have has a 4 pin lvds input and a 4 pin lvds out, so the extra connector just stays in the idrive box and I just unplug the lvds out and use those and ignore the extra connecter
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 02:55 PM   #35
kevinb21
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonteiro182 View Post
After looking into this, i believe NBT is the box needed. You will need to take the screen 6PIN, and connect it to the carplay box. Once you do that they Provide you a 6 PIN to 6PIN you take that plug it to the carplay box, and back into the screen. So in theory you never take the 4 PIN out of the head unit. As for the head unit cable it's a 6PIN to 4PIN correct ? 6PIN in screen and 4PIN in head unit ?
Yea, that makes total sense for the lvds output for the nbt carplay box. The concern I have is that nbt has a different controller than cic, and cars with cic high have the cic controller. So I don't know if the quadlock with the nbt carplay box will work with our quadlock since cic uses the KCAN1 Protocol and nbt uses KCAN2
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 02:57 PM   #36
dmonteiro182
Rep

https://ibb.co/hdrdkms
Here is the way it should be wired.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 03:07 PM   #37
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
lastly I wanted to see if my connector would work with nbt, here are the images:
The connector looks the same.

You should have taken some pics of your carplay box too, to see how different it is from the nbt version.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 03:10 PM   #38
dmonteiro182
Rep

Quote:
Yea, that makes total sense for the lvds output for the nbt carplay box. The concern I have is that nbt has a different controller than cic, and cars with cic high have the cic controller. So I don't know if the quadlock with the nbt carplay box will work with our quadlock since cic uses the KCAN1 Protocol and nbt uses KCAN2
Hey i found this thing it says its for High CIC how do the connectors look ?

https://car-solutions.com/en/camera-...gh-nbt-system/
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 03:50 PM   #39
kevinb21
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonteiro182 View Post
Quote:
Hey i found this thing it says its for High CIC how do the connectors look ?

https://car-solutions.com/en/camera-...gh-nbt-system/
Based on the images it looks to be correct, but I am not 100% sure.

From the images I assume you disconnect the 6 pin cable from the display and that goes into the new box and the box has its very own 6 pin out to go to the display, and the quadlock is connected to the patch harness for the other controls.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 03:56 PM   #40
kevinb21
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
lastly I wanted to see if my connector would work with nbt, here are the images:
The connector looks the same.

You should have taken some pics of your carplay box too, to see how different it is from the nbt version.
Here is the cic box
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 04:04 PM   #41
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

From the images I assume you disconnect the 6 pin cable from the display and that goes into the new box and the box has its very own 6 pin out to go to the display, and the quadlock is connected to the patch harness for the other controls.
Correct

Quote:
Here is the cic box
Yeh the CiC box is completely different to the NBT box.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 04:27 PM   #42
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No, the cic box I have has a 4 pin lvds input and a 4 pin lvds out, so the extra connector just stays in the idrive box and I just unplug the lvds out and use those and ignore the extra connecter
A 6pin LVDS display uses 4pins for video, and 2pins for power. Your box has only 4pins output. Your CIC uses an NBT screen.

That means that an NBT box may work as long as the box has 6pin LVDS input (combo 4+2 LVDS cable to 6pin LVDS box input) and output for an extra NBT 6pin LVDS cable (from box to NBT screen).
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 05:01 PM   #43
kevinb21
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Correct

Quote:
Here is the cic box
Yeh the CiC box is completely different to the NBT box.
Is it worth the chance to order up an nbt box and try that out?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 05:26 PM   #44
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Is it worth the chance to order up an nbt box and try that out?
Yes I think so, but as I said previously, as carlinkit also said that you need the nbt box, ask them to confirm they will refund you in full (including shipping) if it also does not work.
Appreciate 0