F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Done speeding 82mph in 50mph just outside Bham
Studio RSR

11-30-2018, 02:36 PM   #23
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP & S1000 XR

Looking back at the 1st post...

SAC already done. 3 points existing. Are these for excess speed? If so, then she'll be VERY lucky to escape a ban, even with 'special reasons'. If she does escape, be ready for 9 points & a fine into 4 figures.

Paying for legal representation will be worthwhile for sure, but you do need to manage your expectations on this one. 32mph OVER the 50 limit isn't a small margin, it's about 75% over. A custodial sentence may be a real consideration (albeit likely a suspended one).
You really do need to be prepared.
      11-30-2018, 02:43 PM   #24
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5pilot View Post

SAC already done. 3 points existing. Are these for excess speed? If so, then she'll be VERY lucky to escape a ban, even with 'special reasons'. If she does escape, be ready for 9 points & a fine into 4 figures.

Paying for legal representation will be worthwhile for sure, but you do need to manage your expectations on this one. 32mph OVER the 50 limit isn't a small margin, it's about 75% over. A custodial sentence may be a real consideration (albeit likely a suspended one).
I think the mention of a custodial sentence, even suspended, for a GP with only 3 points on their licence is scaremongering and unnecessary.

Ban possibly, but unlikely, if she can get confirmation that she needs to be able to drive to care for patients.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 02:43 PM   #25
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D Xdrive Msport+

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENT-A-GOAT View Post
Hope they throw the book at your wife for it, there are so many twats on the roads in the west mids and she's one of them. As for putting on a public forum you plan to take the points for her to pervert the course of justice is just ad pathetic.
Steady in with the drama. I can think of plenty 50mph roads that are plenty safe enough to do 80mph or more on.

That was certainly my point when I got stopped doing that on the M8 in Glasgow at 5am.... 4 lane motorway with no other cars!

They must have agreed as they let me off!
The A452 is not the M8 now is it. This stretch was a well known accident blackspot.

I can't see any leniency for this offence either as the A452 was part of the European Road Assessment Programme and was one of the highlighted routes where engineering measures have had a dramatic effect on accident rates.

This report concluded that the A452 in the West Midlands, where fatal and serious accident rates between Sutton Coldfield and Brownhills has been cut by 73 per cent as a result of reduced speed limits and measures to deter drivers from attempting to overtake at some locations.
      11-30-2018, 02:45 PM   #26
evdok
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330D M/SPORT xDRIVE INDIVIDUAL

Any particular reason why she was speeding at 82mph? being a GP she should value her licence more. Also if she was clocked at 82mph speedo would have indicated above 85mph, she's done the crime now take the punishment in this case unless you are buddy's with Mr Loophole expect a ban.

Evdok

Appreciate 1
      11-30-2018, 02:54 PM   #27
Vroombimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: 435d Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by evdok View Post
Any particular reason why she was speeding at 82mph? being a GP she should value her licence more. Also if she was clocked at 82mph speedo would have indicated above 85mph, she's done the crime now take the punishment in this case unless you are buddy's with Mr Loophole expect a ban.
No particular reason apart from being late for work. Pathetic I know and not justified whatsoever.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 02:59 PM   #28
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i M-Sport Gran Coupe

A reminder of a story some may of heard of;
https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2013/...ne-vicky-pryce

Last edited by sensible; 12-01-2018 at 10:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 02:59 PM   #29
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
Quote:

I think the mention of a custodial sentence, even suspended, for a GP with only 3 points on their licence is scaremongering and unnecessary.

Ban possibly, but unlikely, if she can get confirmation that she needs to be able to drive to care for patients.
You're entitled to your opinion, as am I.

Mine's based upon 30 years 'in the job'... 20 of those in Roads Policing.

There's no scaremongering involved.
      11-30-2018, 03:02 PM   #30
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
Quote:
Hope they throw the book at your wife for it, there are so many twats on the roads in the west mids and she's one of them. As for putting on a public forum you plan to take the points for her to pervert the course of justice is just ad pathetic.
Steady in with the drama. I can think of plenty 50mph roads that are plenty safe enough to do 80mph or more on.

That was certainly my point when I got stopped doing that on the M8 in Glasgow at 5am.... 4 lane motorway with no other cars!

They must have agreed as they let me off!
The A452 is not the M8 now is it. This stretch was a well known accident blackspot.

I can't see any leniency for this offence either as the A452 was part of the European Road Assessment Programme and was one of the highlighted routes where engineering measures have had a dramatic effect on accident rates.

This report concluded that the A452 in the West Midlands, where fatal and serious accident rates between Sutton Coldfield and Brownhills has been cut by 73 per cent as a result of reduced speed limits and measures to deter drivers from attempting to overtake at some locations.
Fair enough, it's not a road I profess to know, but it must be in a urban area and not at least dualled from what you're saying? In which case 80ish is asking for trouble.

It just gets annoying when people make out all speeding is like the crime of the century.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 03:17 PM   #31
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroombimmer View Post
Rentagoat being a little harsh there. No need for that buddy. I'm just thinking out aloud here what I'm sure many before and many after will have thought and considered, not to mention the 1000s that have actually done it. No need to get personal
And in your case it is good for you that you decided to think out loud on here, so that we can prevent you from making what could possibly be the biggest mistake of your life! Prison is so much worse than what is at worst a 28 day driving ban and a grand fine! She can just take her years quota of annual leave in one go, and then carry on life as before!

Last edited by teaston; 11-30-2018 at 03:28 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2018, 03:17 PM   #32
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:

So your experience says that a GP with only 3 points on her licence will be considered for a custodial sentence? Forgive me for doubting your opinion, my sister in law is a magistrate with 15 years experience and she just laughed when I asked her.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 03:23 PM   #33
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
Quote:

So your experience says that a GP with only 3 points on her licence will be considered for a custodial sentence? Forgive me for doubting your opinion, my sister in law is a magistrate with 15 years experience and she just laughed when I asked her.
My experience tells me that courts tend to make 'examples' of people in positions of trust - Who rightly or wrongly are perceived as "should know better".

Especially, like the assumption is, that SAC already done and 3 current points for speeding...
      11-30-2018, 03:27 PM   #34
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Thread of the week! Don't take the points especially as you've posted about it on here, where by the way we have a SERVING POLICE OFFICER as a regular contributor...lying to the courts is a very bad idea and they like to jail people for that offence.

She will just have to take the punishment that's coming, personally I'd take the opportunity to be superior for a few days.
      11-30-2018, 03:32 PM   #35
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:

It's 6 points or a 7-56 day ban stop being a drama queen, I'm sure you never exceed the speed limit in your 500hp M3.....
      11-30-2018, 03:41 PM   #36
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Quote:

It's 6 points or a 7-56 day ban stop being a drama queen, I'm sure you never exceed the speed limit in your 500hp M3.....
Yes I have. And I do. I haven't implied otherwise.

But when I do it's calculated, deliberate and safe to do so. There's a subtle difference to what's described by the OP and on the subsequently identified piece of road.

I'm offering personal opinions based upon professional experience, nothing more, nothing less.

There's no drama from my point of view.
      11-30-2018, 03:45 PM   #37
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Yes I have. And I do. I haven't implied otherwise.

But when I do it's calculated, deliberate and safe to do so. There's a subtle difference to what's described by the OP and on the subsequently identified piece of road.

I'm offering personal opinions based upon professional experience, nothing more, nothing less.

There's no drama from my point of view.
Ah so it's OK for you to break the law but not others, I see. I like the bit about being calculated and deliberate the courts would love that as a defence NOT......
      11-30-2018, 03:48 PM   #38
Stoo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

From experience, recently...
77 in a 50 on a dual carriageway got me 6 points and an £800 fine (or thereabouts)

Fines are now salary based and a Band C, which I, and the OP (sorry OPs wife) fell into is between 125 and 175% of your TAKE HOME weekly pay. Capped at £1000, or £2000 if it's on the motorway.

The fine is a given, however, you (she) will also face up to a 7-56 day ban or 6 points.

My father volunteered to take the rap when I told him I had been caught. However, bear in mind, if you get caught the consequences are potential imprisonment. I didn't take the risk and took it myself. I'd never ever put anybody through punishment on my behalf. Such a cowardly act.

She could however simply not return the NIP and then whoever the NIP is addressed to (Registered keeper) will still get 6 points and a fine up to £1000 anyway!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 03:55 PM   #39
G82Dude
-
Rep
Drives: M4CMxD

Probably not wise to say your wife was caught speeding and you're going to take her points!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 03:56 PM   #40
Vroombimmer
Private
Rep

Where can I find information about the bands? Is it likely that 82 in a 50 will qualify for 6 points and a fine. She has just checked her license online and it's showing as clean. The 3 points she thought she had are not 'active' anymore
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 03:59 PM   #41
Stoo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

Tried google?

Yes, I got points and a fine at 77 in a 50 as it was a Band C offence.

There is every possibility that the court could award a disqualification over points however.

I used a solicitor to help with my 'defence' and escaped the ban. But was fined.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 03:59 PM   #42
Vroombimmer
Private
Rep

Okay we have established that I will not be taking any points for her. That was an error on my part and a somewhat foolish thing to say/broadcast, so please no more wise posts-only constructive ones
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 04:03 PM   #43
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
She could however simply not return the NIP and then whoever the NIP is addressed to (Registered keeper) will still get 6 points and a fine up to £1000 anyway!
If the registered keeper fails to answer the NIP then generally they will be summonsed for the original speeding offence and Failing to Identify the Driver (Contrary to Section 172 Road Traffic Act 1988)
The second offence carries a penalty 6 points and up to £1000 fine.

Last edited by sensible; 11-30-2018 at 04:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 04:06 PM   #44
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroombimmer View Post
Where can I find information about the bands? Is it likely that 82 in a 50 will qualify for 6 points and a fine. She has just checked her license online and it's showing as clean. The 3 points she thought she had are not 'active' anymore
Have a look at the green chart.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39686894
Appreciate 0