F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > F30 Sport Brake Disks
proTUNING Freaks

09-29-2018, 10:05 AM   #23
wakaday
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 335d MSport+

[QUOTE=wakaday;23779541]Just brought a pair of Bosch disks parts 0 986 479 E10 . I notice both disks are identical, not LH & RH, so the groove features move in different direct on each side. Is that the way BMW disks look?[/QUOTE

Does that look correct?
]
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 10:25 AM   #24
wakaday
Private First Class
Rep

Does the direction of these disk grooves look correct?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 04:17 PM   #25
wakaday
Private First Class
Rep

I've now confirmed that the BMW disks are not handed. So the grooves run in opposite directions when comparing side to side.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 12:52 PM   #26
beerglass007
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicpea View Post
I bought a pair for my E46 325i sport about 2008 maybe. I also put new pads on - Mintex red pads. I had used these pads before on the same car with BMW rotors and had had great luck, low dust and long life - and they were cheap. But with this brake job I kept having trouble with vibration in the brake pedal. I called the talked with the website I bought the rotors from and they told me to call Brembo. Brembo told me to properly bed the brake pads. I followed the procedure and it would improve and then return, eventually it wouldn't improve. I called back and after much discussion Brembo told me it was the pads. Considering I had these pads before on the same car with zero issues for many, many miles I wasn't convinced. I then paid to have the nearly new Brembo rotors turned. It was good for a bit, then the pulsing/vibration returned. I gave up and bought BMW rotors and used the same exact set of pads and had zero issues for the rest of the time I owned the car. When I contacted Brembo to tell them it was the rotors, they told me they were beyond return period and they wouldn't make it right. Last time I buy from them.

These were 1 pieces units and were not an upscale line - just their OEM replacements, so I am not suggesting that Brembo rotors for the F30 sport brakes are also problematic, just that Brembo's quality isn't always what it's reputation would suggest and if you have an issue you might get some hoops to jump through before the tell you to go scratch. I certainly wouldn't pay a premium for them.

I don't have first hand knowledge of the other brands mentioned as I buy OEM rotors now. I know they meet the lawsuit induced requirements of modern car manufacturers. But I always like to find the company who makes the OEM rotors and buy them through that non BMW brand if I can. Sometimes it's hard to find that info out though. Autohaus AZ used to list their parts that way, but haven't had the same luck with that lately.
I had the same problem on my E90 and Brembo. 3 sets of rotors and kept coming back and in the end OEM was the fix

Never Brembo
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2024, 04:21 AM   #27
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakaday View Post
Just brought a pair of Bosch disks parts 0 986 479 E10 . I notice both disks are identical, not LH & RH, so the groove features move in different direct on each side. Is that the way BMW disks look?
Are you still happy with the Bosch rotors? They seem to be the cheapest option (amongst the reputable manufacturers), so I wonder if there is a catch with that...?

TRW are just slightly more expensive. Brembo are appreciably more expensive.