F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Discounts to End
Extreme Powerhouse

09-24-2021, 04:21 AM   #23
KCH1984
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCH1984 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-...h-review/44721

I think this article sums up why many still turn to the Germans when push comes to shove. All the ingredients are there, but the end result is a bit 'meh'. And if you don't care about dynamics or tactile quality and just want to get from A to B, there are cheaper alternatives still. Feels like these cars always end up in a sort of no-man's land, and in reality too close in pricing to the "premium" marques once you enter PCP territory.
But when the Germans reduce that tactile quality, as they have, and the driving dynamics edge diminishes, as it has….then the argument becomes less compelling.
Maybe I'm spoiled with my point of reference being 6 cylinder models, but even so that article would suggest that the 4cyl 8 speed drivetrain in that Genesis are far from class leading and I believe that's where the German models still have an edge. I recognise though that I've not driven a Genesis and am only going by what a motoring journalist had to say on the experience.

I can understand why someone would opt for a Kia, and for me the eNiro was a far more compelling proposition than the i3, but at a certain price point the more subtle differences can make or break. I'm sure the quality gap has closed, but there is still a gap. I was going to say that gap is worth paying for to some, but have just ran a quote for a Genesis GV80 as close as I could to the X5 I've just bought and it actually works out more on a PCP due to the lower residuals. As I said above, I think that's going to be the issue for a lot of buyers. Different for someone walking in paying cash, but when the monthlies are similar I'm sure the majority are going to go for the German marque.
Yep, some good points there KCH. I too specced up a GV80 and found it expensive and therefore would rather have the default German/LR at that price or a Kia/Toyota at a much better price. The GV80 does carry a fair wedge of kit and good materials though, so a decent keeper.

I have mentally written off diesels (despite having a diesel V6), so guilty of reading that article from that position - diesel yadda yadda, but will be good when a petrol hybrid comes out. I'm really surprised that they are launching the Genesis brand with relatively outmoded power trains, rather than the HEVs and PHEVS in the group.
Yeah I'm guilty of looking at it from a rental perspective, putting down your hard earned for a longer term keeper then the 5 year hassle-free servicing and warranty, standard kit etc. does provide more cause for consideration.

It's a good point on the drivetrains though, given the lead they seem to have taken on the EV front I'd have expected them to be more forward looking. Maybe it's a case of waiting to see in that case, much like when the Disco Sport was launched with the old gen engines at first and the advice was pretty much wait for the Ingenium models.
      09-24-2021, 04:39 AM   #24
mcoops
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Short term lease

Quote:
I agree with this, a point you've made more succinctly than I have. At the mid-tier level, the cost of options is a far higher percentage of purchase price as well and can be off putting. I remember my wife buying a Golf with standard options like adaptive cruise that I don't think were even available on my M135i at the time, and the interior quality was also higher. Over last few years, VW has probably gone backwards and the Koreans have come forwards. Hence me leasing an eNiro over something like the ID3, but I wasn't for swapping my X5 for a Sorrento.
Good point and I agree. I was properly appalled last time I went into a VW showroom and checked out the interior quality, on everything right up to the Touraeg. There is some sort of reshuffle going on there, with Cupra increasing hollowing out the Seat 'sporty' territory, and Skoda looking a better resolved value/quality proposition than VW. I'm sure there's a plan, but I'm not sure I can quite work out what it is...

Appreciate 1
      09-24-2021, 04:50 AM   #25
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoops View Post
Quote:
I agree with this, a point you've made more succinctly than I have. At the mid-tier level, the cost of options is a far higher percentage of purchase price as well and can be off putting. I remember my wife buying a Golf with standard options like adaptive cruise that I don't think were even available on my M135i at the time, and the interior quality was also higher. Over last few years, VW has probably gone backwards and the Koreans have come forwards. Hence me leasing an eNiro over something like the ID3, but I wasn't for swapping my X5 for a Sorrento.
Good point and I agree. I was properly appalled last time I went into a VW showroom and checked out the interior quality, on everything right up to the Touraeg. There is some sort of reshuffle going on there, with Cupra increasing hollowing out the Seat 'sporty' territory, and Skoda looking a better resolved value/quality proposition than VW. I'm sure there's a plan, but I'm not sure I can quite work out what it is...
Feels like the VW brand itself perhaps lost budget (deservedly, due to dieselgate). I've not been inside any of them, but everything I read screams "decontenting". Along the lines of hefty annual budget cuts versus long term plans, but platform costs already locked in so the only place to save is a supplier squeeze on interior materials.

Not sure how Skoda has avoided it, but perhaps sales held up through dieselgate and R&D budgets remained intact year on year.

Cupra being what Seat should have been all along is an interesting one. Fully hold my hands up to thinking that a separate Cupra brand was a waste of time, but now I think it could well have a stronger and more relevant future than Seat itself.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
mcoops1746.50
      09-24-2021, 05:52 AM   #26
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Some interesting points here. It always come down to perceived value.

On the PHEV / EV trail I'm not ruling anything out. I still think the RAV4 PHEV is a dark horse, only one that seems to come close the halo X5 (with a huge 47 miles battery bearing the 51) for almost half the RRP. I saw some tasty lease deals £3k in and £330 month for the one down from top level Dynamic but it wasn't true. Actual monthly within say £150 of the X5 45e so then for £1-2k a year it writes itself out of the equation.

All these aspiring brands (not Toyota I know) are a cash purchase only option I often feel but it's hard to get out of the wake of the top marquee still. VW Phaeton was some engineering feat but who bought that instead of a 5er, 7er and the other German equivalents.

It's a near endless cycle that they'll never get that residual value will they?
      09-24-2021, 06:11 AM   #27
mcoops
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Short term lease

Quote:
Cupra being what Seat should have been all along is an interesting one. Fully hold my hands up to thinking that a separate Cupra brand was a waste of time, but now I think it could well have a stronger and more relevant future than Seat itself.
Definitely. And the Formentor is the really interesting one, not being based on a Seat donor car. I think they done a really good job with the branding and design touches. Here's another question - is Cupra getting right (branding, model portfolio, electrification) what Alfa cannot seem to?

Appreciate 1
      09-24-2021, 06:44 AM   #28
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoops View Post
Quote:
Definitely. And the Formentor is the really interesting one, not being based on a Seat donor car. I think they done a really good job with the branding and design touches. Here's another question - is Cupra getting right (branding, model portfolio, electrification) what Alfa cannot seem to?
Yes, they do seem to be doing what Alfa should have done. Although also what Seat have been saying since about 1991 "we are the Spanish Alfa Romeo".

Alfa is an odd one, how they keep missing the mark. They seemed to bet the farm on the 500bhp models in the latest cars, forgetting that they needed to make the 200bhp ones properly desirable.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
mcoops1746.50
      09-24-2021, 08:16 AM   #29
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Yes, they do seem to be doing what Alfa should have done. Although also what Seat have been saying since about 1991 "we are the Spanish Alfa Romeo".

Alfa is an odd one, how they keep missing the mark. They seemed to bet the farm on the 500bhp models in the latest cars, forgetting that they needed to make the 200bhp ones properly desirable.
The latest Tonal (mini SUV) looks promising and of course now FCA are part of Stellantis with Peugeot - Citroen - who are progressing electrification better - should mean finally we get a car that looks like an Alfa and drives like a (good) Pug.

Or of course as with their collaboration with Nissan in the past, we could get one that looks shit and is built like an Alfa!
Appreciate 2
mcoops1746.50