F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Rusting MPPSK exhaust tips
GetBMWParts

04-09-2021, 08:42 AM   #23
Armaan
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i Sport Remapped

Quote:
Originally Posted by seenthelight! View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilift View Post
if it's not stainless steel , it will rust .
it's a year old and suffers with salt and all sorts of road shite .
it will polish off , it's only minor .
get a grip on reality .
Actually, stainless steel can rust - it's all to do with the quality of the steel and the chromium content therein. So sorry for the correction of your info, but your post is not only unhelpful, but wrong .... I'm an engineer, with qualifications in metallurgy ....
Great info and something I'm not an expert in but that's the reason why some custom exhaust companies give a lifetime warranty...good quality stainless steel will not rust, but the cheap stuff with other content will?

Armaan
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 10:06 AM   #24
MY340i
Major
Rep
Drives: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2CRO4TV View Post
Booked in again tomorrow to get the tips changed again as the new pair have also started rusting. Can't be only me that has this issue but it's being changed under warranty so mustn't complain.
Wait till you see what the underside of the exhaust looks like 😂
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 10:08 AM   #25
seenthelight!
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw 435d f32 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaan View Post
Great info and something I'm not an expert in but that's the reason why some custom exhaust companies give a lifetime warranty...good quality stainless steel will not rust, but the cheap stuff with other content will?

Armaan
Yes mate, top quality stainless will not rust - true marine grade upwards is the best, with the best being inconel - a 'super stainless', basically the best stainless with extra nickel and chromium content. The upsides to inconel are v v high resistance to wear, corrosion and distortion. The downsides mainly price. An example of a v v high end custom stainless exhaust system may cost £5k, as opposed to £20k for the inconel.
Appreciate 1
Armaan712.00
      04-09-2021, 10:25 AM   #26
2CRO4TV
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 BSM M340i

Garage List
2021 M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barsj111 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2CRO4TV View Post
Booked in again tomorrow to get the tips changed again as the new pair have also started rusting. Can't be only me that has this issue but it's being changed under warranty so mustn't complain.
Wait till you see what the underside of the exhaust looks like 😂
Out of sight out of mind
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 12:28 PM   #27
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

Rusting MPPSK exhaust tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by john lummis View Post
I looked at the link , read the description and nowhere does it mention stainless steel, it mentions the carbon, I think a presumtion has been made that it is stainless steel, but it isn't , it should be for the price though.

The chrome however DOES mention stainless steel, it is chrome plated stainless steel at a fraction of the carbons cost, you'd think that the carbon piece just went over the chrome bit, but no, obviously not
I believe that you are on to something. I have the chrome ///M tips on my M Performance Exhaust. Over five years in salty winter environment and not garage kept. Not a sign of rust and the look brand new when I clean them up.

As you say, maybe the assumption is being made that the same chrome tips are just having carbon fiber added on top of them. But that may not be the case. Evidence seems to indicate that cheaper materials or finish are being used in the carbon fiber tips.
Let me check. I had the chrome tips added on when I purchased the MPPSK. I liked the CF tips when I saw them (I have a shadow sport silver car, so works with the silver black motif). Thus I more recently purchased the CF tips and installed them. The silver under the CF looks similar, but....it seems slightly less shiny. But let me polish them both and compare them side by side.
Appreciate 0