F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Andream MMI Box - Wireless CarPlay & Android Auto
ARMA SPEED

11-19-2020, 08:48 AM   #5303
ckarv
Private
Finland
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckarv View Post
I recall some talk about max 4GB USB drives working, but not 8GB ones? I had the same issue yesterday with 8GB USB stick (FAT32), will test again with a 4GB one today (FAT32).
Re-tried with the 4GB one today with no success (burn failed). It's the same USB stick I've successfully used to flash 1.0.4-2.

My MCU version is visible in the attached image (20.6.2.0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyokushin View Post
20.6.2.0 is my mcu.
I have updated to 1.1.2 from 1.0.4-2.
It seems to have both autoconnect and widescreen fix.
@Kyokushin: We seem to have the same MCU version, however the update still didn't work. I'm now wondering if the file on the first page might be corrupted? Can you compare checksums for the file you flashed, and the one on the first page?

Thanks
Attached Images

Last edited by ckarv; 11-19-2020 at 08:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 09:05 AM   #5304
TheJungatron
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD- USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonchicken View Post
2013 with cic-high and Andream nbt.
my bootmod3 obd connection no longer works.
my ethernet adapter doesn't work either with bimmercode or bimmerlink.

do I need to disconnect andream every time I want to boodmod3 or code something?
FML
I find it works if you car is turned off
- Steps -
1 With car off plug in iphone to ethernet adaptor,
2 go to iphone settings and wait for ethernet to show up in general
3 Go to bm3
4 App will turn on car

It might sound strange but it works for me.
(Retired - 1987 325i Vert)
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2020, 09:23 AM   #5305
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Quote:
2013 with cic-high and Andream nbt.
my bootmod3 obd connection no longer works.
my ethernet adapter doesn't work either with bimmercode or bimmerlink.

do I need to disconnect andream every time I want to boodmod3 or code something?
FML
Are you using the latest legacy firmware for the OBD agent? Or are you using a direct connection?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 09:41 AM   #5306
rimsilva
Private
Portugal
Rep
Drives: i3 60Ah BEV

Quote:

@Kyokushin: We seem to have the same MCU version, however the update still didn't work. I'm now wondering if the file on the first page might be corrupted? Can you compare checksums for the file you flashed, and the one on the first page?

Thanks
In my case the MCU is "older", I doubt that its a corrupted file because received this morning a new file from andream support and happened the same error.

edit:
Just confirm that link received is exactly the same that Kyokushin shared yesterday.

Yesterday I tried the link shared by Kyokushin and the zip from first page, both give me error.

Last edited by rimsilva; 11-19-2020 at 09:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 10:10 AM   #5307
mabastro
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 328i (f30/n20)

I run the v2 custom firmware with the 20.6.2 mcu on my 2015 f30 with carlinkit and have car bluetooth turned on. No issues. Both AA and carplay. Wireless and wired both work ok.

Could the issue be that your phone isn't set to use cellular data on your wifi? Could partly explain the disconnect as you switch from your home wifi to the car. That you lose internet briefly.. Also maybe you are losing cell coverage because you start car in a parking garage with low coverage on your cell? Something along those lines. Just thinking out loud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus_1903 View Post
My car is a 2014 model f30. My mmi model is carlinkit. When the vehicle is in motion, first of all, the sound breaks and then the connection is broken. the screen turns black. comes back later. I have no trouble at first connecting. except that everything works fine. my upgrades are up to date. I installed v9.2.9 today. i set it to wifi channel 6. the car's bluetooth is off. Any of you have similar problems? Anyone have a solution? Please help me...
I used with iphone 8 plus (IOS)
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 10:34 AM   #5308
zeus_1903
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 2014 3.20d f30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabastro View Post
I run the v2 custom firmware with the 20.6.2 mcu on my 2015 f30 with carlinkit and have car bluetooth turned on. No issues. Both AA and carplay. Wireless and wired both work ok.

Could the issue be that your phone isn't set to use cellular data on your wifi? Could partly explain the disconnect as you switch from your home wifi to the car. That you lose internet briefly.. Also maybe you are losing cell coverage because you start car in a parking garage with low coverage on your cell? Something along those lines. Just thinking out loud.

Quote:
My car is a 2014 model f30. My mmi model is carlinkit. When the vehicle is in motion, first of all, the sound breaks and then the connection is broken. the screen turns black. comes back later. I have no trouble at first connecting. except that everything works fine. my upgrades are up to date. I installed v9.2.9 today. i set it to wifi channel 6. the car's bluetooth is off. Any of you have similar problems? Anyone have a solution? Please help me...
I used with iphone 8 plus (IOS)
First of all, thank you very much for the answer. Disconnection occurs in places far from home, it happens very rarely, but it bothers me that it does not work stably. I am currently using the official version of carlinkit v9.2.9. I wonder if I use custom firmware, will the problem be solved. What changes can I make on the phone I am using ios 14.2
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 10:47 AM   #5309
mabastro
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 328i (f30/n20)

I have been really happy with the custom firmware over 9.2.9. I get widescreen AA, and the split screen. I also get auto load when I turn on the car and it usually (not always) plays songs where it left off. I think then I use my phone for other music outside the car, that's when I don't get auto play when I return. But the unit almost always starts up and gets me to map split screen which is nice.

I'm not much of an Apple user. But there should be a check box in settings somewhere for your wifi to "allow mobile data when connected" or something like that. I had to make sure that feature was turned on for my phone because when the car connects to the MMI's wifi it doesn't have internet, and so I needed to make sure it uses my mobile when connected. Not sure if that's what's causing you any trouble. but maybe check.

I'd suggest you consider trying the custom firmware first. It's really well done and works great with Carlinkit. One of the advantages of this model is that it accepts it. The custom firmware is built off bimmertech's I believe. I know a lot of the improvements were for AA, but maybe it also helps Carplay too.

I've struggled a little with AA and Sirius XM. That app on AA seems to lock up and not want to connect to my phone often. And Sirius app on my phone has lousy quality playback yet my Apple's is perfect. Carplay seems much more stable and reliable and I like the layout. I may be going back to Apple next year when my phone can be upgraded! I did test it with my work's phone and am happy with results, but my work gets mad if I use too much data for personal music streaming! LOL!

Keep us posted.

Quote:
First of all, thank you very much for the answer. Disconnection occurs in places far from home, it happens very rarely, but it bothers me that it does not work stably. I am currently using the official version of carlinkit v9.2.9. I wonder if I use custom firmware, will the problem be solved. What changes can I make on the phone I am using ios 14.2
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 11:32 AM   #5310
tuzogt
Enlisted Member
Austria
Rep
Drives: G30 530d B57 @195kW/620NM

Quote:
Re-tried with the 4GB one today with no success (burn failed). It's the same USB stick I've successfully used to flash 1.0.4-2.

My MCU version is visible in the attached image (20.6.2.0)

Thanks
I have also the same MCU, no luck with the update.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 11:38 AM   #5311
zeus_1903
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 2014 3.20d f30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabastro View Post
I have been really happy with the custom firmware over 9.2.9. I get widescreen AA, and the split screen. I also get auto load when I turn on the car and it usually (not always) plays songs where it left off. I think then I use my phone for other music outside the car, that's when I don't get auto play when I return. But the unit almost always starts up and gets me to map split screen which is nice.

I'm not much of an Apple user. But there should be a check box in settings somewhere for your wifi to "allow mobile data when connected" or something like that. I had to make sure that feature was turned on for my phone because when the car connects to the MMI's wifi it doesn't have internet, and so I needed to make sure it uses my mobile when connected. Not sure if that's what's causing you any trouble. but maybe check.

I'd suggest you consider trying the custom firmware first. It's really well done and works great with Carlinkit. One of the advantages of this model is that it accepts it. The custom firmware is built off bimmertech's I believe. I know a lot of the improvements were for AA, but maybe it also helps Carplay too.

I've struggled a little with AA and Sirius XM. That app on AA seems to lock up and not want to connect to my phone often. And Sirius app on my phone has lousy quality playback yet my Apple's is perfect. Carplay seems much more stable and reliable and I like the layout. I may be going back to Apple next year when my phone can be upgraded! I did test it with my work's phone and am happy with results, but my work gets mad if I use too much data for personal music streaming! LOL!

Keep us posted.

Quote:
If I install custom firmware, can I switch back to carlinkit version afterwards. if it causes any problem with my system
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 12:53 PM   #5312
lemonchicken
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post
Are you using the latest legacy firmware for the OBD agent? Or are you using a direct connection?
Hey! thanks so much. I was using the obd wifi box, but looked into direct connect since you brought it to my attention. bootmod3 never ceases to amaze me.

So, now my lighting to ethernet direct connection theoretically can work for my bootmod3 needs and my bimmercode needs. Unfortunately it can't connect with any of the settings the bootmod3 or bimmercode recommends. this always worked before with my unichip CarPlay mmi. I've updated to the latest firmware from Andream:

box says nbt-1904-LC on a sticker
Firmware information:
SDK:25.0.0.5.6.0.0.0
CUST version B_V1.1.1
MCU 20.8.19.23
HW version BMW_NBT
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 12:54 PM   #5313
lemonchicken
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i blue

Quote:
surely someone has solved this by now??
Andream Cust version B_V1.1.1 supports the "alter audio" option now and my annoying volume mismatch issues are resolved. now if I could just bimmercode to work again...
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 01:57 PM   #5314
Kyokushin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F32 428i, F32 420i

Its also in 1.1.2.
What is this slider for volume doing?

Here is exact file i flashed. Please note the "GEMINI_PACK.BIN" need to be on root folder of USB drive and need to be only one file.
MD5 90f62bc369193746aafe97309acd806a (generated both from file on my usb stick and from zip)

i have used FAT32 formatted USB stick, 4096 allocation cluster

Please check its not locked:
Attached Images

Last edited by Kyokushin; 11-19-2020 at 02:14 PM..
Appreciate 2
ckarv15.50
      11-19-2020, 04:00 PM   #5315
fantanas
First Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: F33 435d

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantanas View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantanas View Post
Hello all!

I haven't posted here in a while and I see that the post is running wild.

I have had the unit for almost a year now and I am very happy with it. Works flawlessly.

I saw that there is an upgrade lately to add a front facing camera. How does that work? Where do I plug it in and when does it come up?

Do I press a button or something to bring it up? I don't want it to come up when I am reversing, since I want the rear camera for that.

Ideally what I would want is for me to press a button and the front facing camera comes up. Is that possible? Also, can I plug in any camera to that? I think I have one laying around somewhere
Also, can anyone tell which version I have? A or B? I bought this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...57f94c4dkpy8Ek
in December 2019.

I am still struggling to figure out how to trigger to see the front facing camera when it is installed. Also, when it is on, does the CarPlay keep working (audio notifications etc?)
Do all firmwares support front facing camera? How can I trigger it?

Can I have the rear facing camera always on?

I want to be able to trigger it on demand, either the front or the back. Maybe using the trigger wire and a switch + 12v.

But I want to keep the normal operation when parking.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 06:06 PM   #5316
liam77
Private
Rep
Drives: Mini F55

Quote:
20.6.2.0 is my mcu.
I have updated to 1.1.2 from 1.0.4-2.
It seems to have both autoconnect and widescreen fix.
Just to confirm, this has update has worked well for me too - Thanks!

Widescreen AA working as well as previous version, and now the AA Autoconnect also working.

I initially had the 'Burn Error' on an 8gb usb drive. I then used a 32gb USB3 thumb drive, and that worked perfectly.

I cleared all the data for the Android Auto app on my phone, forgot the Bluetooth connection etc, then everything worked well after that.

(Andream B MMI NBT on Mini F55 8.8")

Last edited by liam77; 11-19-2020 at 06:11 PM.. Reason: Added MMI details
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 06:14 PM   #5317
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I

Quote:
Originally Posted by liam77 View Post
Just to confirm, this has update has worked well for me too - Thanks!

Widescreen AA working as well as previous version, and now the AA Autoconnect also working.

I initially had the 'Burn Error' on an 8gb usb drive. I then used a 32gb USB3 thumb drive, and that worked perfectly.

I cleared all the data for the Android Auto app on my phone, forgot the Bluetooth connection etc, then everything worked well after that.
With the new update, does AA go into night mode automatically when the headlights turn on?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 06:34 PM   #5318
liam77
Private
Rep
Drives: Mini F55

Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri View Post
With the new update, does AA go into night mode automatically when the headlights turn on?
No, I don't think it did. I changed one of the settings in the main Andream settings for night mode but I didn't notice any difference.

I did notice on a recent AA app update on my phone that there was a fix for night mode, so I'll have a better look at the settings for both later:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
muniz_ri447.50
      11-19-2020, 06:46 PM   #5319
howboutno555
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Unknown Andream unit CIC

I've searched this thread up and down and couldn't find an answer.
I have an Andream unit for the e series cic, and was looking for an update to fix the resolution android auto aka widescreen fix. The unit is requesting an GEMINI_PACK.BIN update file but the only ones I've found are for the nbt units. Does anyone have experience with this unit?
HW_Version: BMW_CICHL
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
dandandan101.50
      11-20-2020, 03:22 AM   #5320
eexxcc
Rep
Drives: F07 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri View Post
No, since the last(AA) update AA is always in day mode. Couldn't find a way to force it to dark mode at least.
Appreciate 1
muniz_ri447.50
      11-20-2020, 03:57 AM   #5321
IvanK
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F48

So, the only difference currently between the Andream B and Carlinkit units is that the Andream B doesn't have the automatic night mode when headlights are on (with the latest official firmware B V1.1.2) and Carlinkit has it (with the v2.0 custom firmware), right?

AA Widescreen and auto load is something that now works on both units with the aforementioned firmware versions?

I have the option of purchasing the Andream unit through their website for 218 euros and get it in a couple of days, or the Carlinkit for 260 euros over Amazon but it says "dispatched in 3-5 weeks & arrives Jan 15 - Feb 4"!!!

So if the only difference between the two units is currently the automatic night mode, then I would go for the Andream and hope that they solve this issue someday.

By the way, these Andream issues are only appearing in AA? What about Carplay? Are there any widescreen issues with Carplay? is there auto load for Carplay? and what about automatic night mode when headlights turn on for Google Maps in Carplay?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 05:06 AM   #5322
rimsilva
Private
Portugal
Rep
Drives: i3 60Ah BEV

Quote:
Its also in 1.1.2.
What is this slider for volume doing?

Here is exact file i flashed. Please note the "GEMINI_PACK.BIN" need to be on root folder of USB drive and need to be only one file.
MD5 90f62bc369193746aafe97309acd806a (generated both from file on my usb stick and from zip)

i have used FAT32 formatted USB stick, 4096 allocation cluster

Please check its not locked:
Thanks for your effort to help. Unlocked the file, but same error again.

MD5 90F62BC369193746AAFE97309ACD806A GEMINI_PACK.BIN

I believe that i've used the same pen drive off my first update, but i've tried others with the same error.

From support they asked to wait for a reply, let see what they will say.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 06:43 AM   #5323
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 335d

Question

Firstly, I wanted to say the work on the custom FW deserves all the praise that it is getting and the work done by forum members is amazing. Thank you to all involved. Keep up the good work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by howboutno555 View Post
I've searched this thread up and down and couldn't find an answer.
I have an Andream unit for the e series cic, and was looking for an update to fix the resolution android auto aka widescreen fix. The unit is requesting an GEMINI_PACK.BIN update file but the only ones I've found are for the nbt units. Does anyone have experience with this unit?
HW_Version: BMW_CICHL
I have a similar unit (CIC_HL). Mine isn't from Andream themselves but I suspect that the unit is identical, and most likely Version B hardware. My firmware is not one that I have seen mentioned in the 240+ pages so far. Looking around the internet the only boxes I can find with the same layout are the Bimmertech MMI prime boxes (blue HSD type WIFI antenna connector + missing the 360 camera port). But I haven't seen any other pictures of version B CIC boxes so there could be more out there.

I am also looking for a custom firmware for my box, and thus far I haven't even found a stock firmware for version B CIC boxes of any manufacturer.

One thing I do know so far is that the Software update pin is: 2863 (Like the Andream ver. A CiC box). I can get into flashing menu etc... I suspect the way forward will be JTAG or Telnet if possible.

I have a question about the Forum-made CIC custom firmware:
Was the CIC custom firmware created using a stock NBT box firmware or have I misunderstood the version numbers listed in post number 2?

Sorry for rambling, if I am gonna spend a vast amount of time trying to work this out with a view to eventually creating a Ver.B CIC custom firmware, I may aswell get some words wisdom from experienced forum members, positive or negative!

Any help is really appreciated.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 10:04 AM   #5324
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9099 View Post
Firstly, I wanted to say the work on the custom FW deserves all the praise that it is getting and the work done by forum members is amazing. Thank you to all involved. Keep up the good work!

I have a similar unit (CIC_HL). Mine isn't from Andream themselves but I suspect that the unit is identical, and most likely Version B hardware. My firmware is not one that I have seen mentioned in the 240+ pages so far. Looking around the internet the only boxes I can find with the same layout are the Bimmertech MMI prime boxes (blue HSD type WIFI antenna connector + missing the 360 camera port). But I haven't seen any other pictures of version B CIC boxes so there could be more out there.

I am also looking for a custom firmware for my box, and thus far I haven't even found a stock firmware for version B CIC boxes of any manufacturer.

One thing I do know so far is that the Software update pin is: 2863 (Like the Andream ver. A CiC box). I can get into flashing menu etc... I suspect the way forward will be JTAG or Telnet if possible.

I have a question about the Forum-made CIC custom firmware:
Was the CIC custom firmware created using a stock NBT box firmware or have I misunderstood the version numbers listed in post number 2?

Sorry for rambling, if I am gonna spend a vast amount of time trying to work this out with a view to eventually creating a Ver.B CIC custom firmware, I may aswell get some words wisdom from experienced forum members, positive or negative!

Any help is really appreciated.
The CIC custom software was created by FireFly using the "A" unit type software (ISPBOOOT.BIN) for CIC units. There currently is no verified method to create custom software for the "B" units (GEMINI_PACK.BIN).

You may want to contact the seller of your unit for the latest updates.
Appreciate 0