F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 340i Touring - built status thread
proTUNING Freaks

09-23-2016, 12:57 AM   #573
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Caterham 420R. Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybones View Post
Refilled my tank on Tuesday for the 2nd time (brim to brim). The actual fuel consumption was 33.61mpg compared to the OBC which indicated 33.5 mpg.

Obviously, this is only the first full tank and the pumps metering etc can vary, but it does appear that the OBC is pretty accurate. I'm impressed with the fuel consumption, given the heavy traffic in which I've been caught.

Overall, I'm loving the car. The engine is a gem - very smooth but with plenty of torque. If I had to criticise, I find it slightly hesitant sometimes when pulling away in normal mode, but I am hoping this will improve with time as the car adapts to my driving style. Selecting sports mode resolves the issue anyway.
That really is excellent! I'll be filling up either this afternoon or over the weekend, so will plug the numbers into Excel to work out my real consumption.

Do you reset your OBC at each fill up? I'm tempted to just leave mine running to see the overall average (I have the trip set to auto reset anyway).

Agree with you regarding the comfort throttle. There's a dead zone over the first 5% of travel, yet when you push through this it's like you've asked for 20% throttle and she'll pull away and wizz up to 4000 rpm of so. I just get it rolling then gently back out the throttle to smooth it out, but it is something that needs to be worked around.

Actually Eco Poo might be better in this regard, but then you have to put up with stop/start

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
I've coaxed it up to the heady heights of 25 now, but the daily commute is about 6 miles each way and involves an average of probably six or seven traffic light stops plus plenty of ad-hoc extra queuing. It might be interesting to try eco-pro and see if that boosts things with the extra coasting and stop-start staying stopped.
Ouch, the reality of crappy traffic and a big engine bites! It really is great on the motorway, but urban does seem to bring the consumption back to reality. I wonder how much is attributed to the auto 'box? Would be interesting to hear what manual 340i (F30) owners are getting!
F31 340i | GS with CR & Ash Grain Trim | M Sport+ Pack | Prof Media Plus Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Leather Dash | Folding Mirrors | Pano Roof | Elec Mem Seats with Lumbar | Adaptive Suspension | Comfort Access | Reverse Cam | Surround View | SLD | Rear Sunblinds | Folding Headrests | Model Designation Delete | Trim Designation Delete | MPPSK
Appreciate 2
      09-23-2016, 02:02 AM   #574
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant_7 View Post
Agree with you regarding the comfort throttle. There's a dead zone over the first 5% of travel, yet when you push through this it's like you've asked for 20% throttle and she'll pull away and wizz up to 4000 rpm of so. I just get it rolling then gently back out the throttle to smooth it out, but it is something that needs to be worked around.

Actually Eco Poo might be better in this regard, but then you have to put up with stop/start
I completely agree on the comfort throttle too. It's easy to get more acceleration than you want after trying to push through the soft initial response. I do have a feeling mine is getting better, that's possibly the engine loosening up a little but probably more about my foot and brain learning the car.

BTW, you get stop/start in comfort too, at least I do? If I switched it off then the consumption would be a lot worse. It's just that in Comfort it's more prone to restarting midway through a long stop - due to aircon/heating demands that eco-pro just ignores I believe.

Quote:
Ouch, the reality of crappy traffic and a big engine bites! It really is great on the motorway, but urban does seem to bring the consumption back to reality. I wonder how much is attributed to the auto 'box? Would be interesting to hear what manual 340i (F30) owners are getting!
Yes, six cylinders and 3 litres have to have a penalty somewhere

To be completely fair though, my Fuelly records show that my E90 320D manual was generally in the very low 40s in urban use, but there are 3 full consecutive tankfuls at 34-35mpg in the early spring of this year. On my old mainly motorway commute, I was easily getting 58/59mpg out of that. I really do have a killer commute for economy now

The other comparison is my wife's Auris which we use for the same journey. 63-plate, CVT auto, 1.6 petrol, no stop/start. That's been on this run since new, almost never sees a motorway or proper A-road (as we take my cars on longer runs) and is averaging out at 29.3mpg over 10k miles.

Taken against those 177bhp and 130bhp comparisons, then 25mpg for 320bhp doesn't seem too bad. I still aim to equal the Auris in the long run though

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 2
Grant_72088.00
      09-23-2016, 03:01 AM   #575
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Oh I agree the economy is absolutely superb for what the engine is.

This x40i really is a masterpiece; exceptionally smooth, refined, economical, sonorous, excellent low and mid-range torque, and with proper top end bite too.

It's going to be interesting to see how the MPPSK changes it. Looking at the graphs it just looks like more of everything, but even more so at the top end.

Oh and with regards to stop/start in comfort mode, yes mine does is it apart from the fact that I switch it off at the start of every journey. However it appears it re-engages when Eco Poo is selected
F31 340i | GS with CR & Ash Grain Trim | M Sport+ Pack | Prof Media Plus Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Leather Dash | Folding Mirrors | Pano Roof | Elec Mem Seats with Lumbar | Adaptive Suspension | Comfort Access | Reverse Cam | Surround View | SLD | Rear Sunblinds | Folding Headrests | Model Designation Delete | Trim Designation Delete | MPPSK
Appreciate 2
      09-23-2016, 05:10 AM   #576
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Okay it's a rubbish video I'm afraid, but here's a bit of cobbled together video from collection and the next morning's cold start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRaV23tGv3w
Just got around to seeing this...looking great and sounding great nice to have that first start recorded for posterity too!

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 2
Grant_72088.00
      09-23-2016, 11:37 AM   #577
crazybones
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 718S Boxster, Tesla Model Y

Quote:
That really is excellent! I'll be filling up either this afternoon or over the weekend, so will plug the numbers into Excel to work out my real consumption.

Do you reset your OBC at each fill up? I'm tempted to just leave mine running to see the overall average (I have the trip set to auto reset anyway).

Hi Grant. Being rather sad, I use an app on my phone (Fillup on Android). I just input the mileage/cost/litres and the app calculates the actual MPG. I use it for a few fills until I can see consistently how the OBC compares.

Regarding the hesitancy, my reaction was to go to Sport mode! I'll give Eco Poo a try.
BMW ancestry: G20 M340i, F36 440i Gran Coupe M Sport, F30 330d M Sport (RIP), F30 328i M Sport / E90 330D LCI, 330D, 325i / E46 325i, 320i / Merc 250 D AMG (listed to remind me never to buy another Merc!)
Appreciate 2
Grant_72088.00
      09-25-2016, 01:39 PM   #578
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

So I filled up today having completed 417 miles on the tank, with a remaining range of 21 miles. I put 56.01 litres in, so had around 30 miles remaining until dry.

And the resulting MPG from that tank? 33.93mpg (OBC said 33.9). Amazing!

Oh and the range once filled was 452 miles, although a bit of stick left blasting saw that decrease somewhat

Appreciate 1
      09-25-2016, 01:47 PM   #579
crazybones
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So I filled up today having completed 417 miles on the tank, with a remaining range of 21 miles. I put 56.01 litres in, so had around 30 miles remaining until dry.

And the resulting MPG from that tank? 33.93mpg (OBC said 33.9). Amazing!

Oh and the range once filled was 452 miles, although a bit of stick left blasting saw that decrease somewhat

We must be getting old. All this talk about fuel economy!

However, it is amazing how fuel efficient the B58 engine can be, albeit that around town, it can still be thirsty (just ask MashinBenzin )
BMW ancestry: G20 M340i, F36 440i Gran Coupe M Sport, F30 330d M Sport (RIP), F30 328i M Sport / E90 330D LCI, 330D, 325i / E46 325i, 320i / Merc 250 D AMG (listed to remind me never to buy another Merc!)
Appreciate 2
Grant_72088.00
      09-25-2016, 02:38 PM   #580
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

The fuel economy is frankly amazing, given the performance on offer...

I'm not doing as well as you Grant_7 though my last tank just topped 30mpg according to Fuelly (see signature). As MashinBenzin knows short congested runs hit economy, my first tank was only 26mpg.

On another note, isn't it great how these cars find their voice.
Grant_72088.00
      09-28-2016, 01:22 AM   #581
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

So a little update from me.

700 miles in and the car seems to be settling down nicely. Ride seems to be ever so slightly firmer; perhaps this is due to getting used to the car although I suspect it's the initial tyre softness being scrubbed off.

Throttle response in comfort seems to be improving.

OBC is showing around 34mpg, although my commute is fairly generous to this feat.

The noise is definitely improving, although that will be irrelevant soon when the MPPSK gets fitted (14th October).

I'm absolutely loving the colour. It's just silver in daylight, but get to low-light conditions and all that glacial blue colour comes out. And it's awesome with regards to keeping clean! I've not washed the car at all, yet have driven through all sorts of rain and muck and it still looks super clean. VERY happy about that!

I plan on doing a proper review at some point next week; I should have the time as I'll be on holiday

Finally, as mentioned much earlier in this thread, I didn't really get anything out of the dealer for all my delays, however I did push BMW UK for my cause. And last week they responded by offering me a full refund on the 5 year service pack (£525). And the best bit? I didn't pay for the service pack in the first place as I'd negotiated it as part of my purchase price.

So, with a little man-math logic, that means my MPPSK is coming in at under £1500. Result
Appreciate 3
      09-28-2016, 05:24 AM   #582
andymj
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
So, with a little man-math logic, that means my MPPSK is coming in at under £1500. Result
So whilst most will no doubt reply and say "well done", or "congrats" .. what they're all really saying is "jammy bugger".

Well done though .. especially on the man-math! You are an example to us all on how this stuff should be justified.
2012 BMW 330d .. gone
2009 MB C250 .. gone
Appreciate 1
Grant_72088.00
      09-28-2016, 08:30 AM   #583
crazybones
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So a little update from me.

700 miles in and the car seems to be settling down nicely. Ride seems to be ever so slightly firmer; perhaps this is due to getting used to the car although I suspect it's the initial tyre softness being scrubbed off.

Throttle response in comfort seems to be improving.

OBC is showing around 34mpg, although my commute is fairly generous to this feat.

The noise is definitely improving, although that will be irrelevant soon when the MPPSK gets fitted (14th October).

I'm absolutely loving the colour. It's just silver in daylight, but get to low-light conditions and all that glacial blue colour comes out. And it's awesome with regards to keeping clean! I've not washed the car at all, yet have driven through all sorts of rain and muck and it still looks super clean. VERY happy about that!

I plan on doing a proper review at some point next week; I should have the time as I'll be on holiday

Finally, as mentioned much earlier in this thread, I didn't really get anything out of the dealer for all my delays, however I did push BMW UK for my cause. And last week they responded by offering me a full refund on the 5 year service pack (£525). And the best bit? I didn't pay for the service pack in the first place as I'd negotiated it as part of my purchase price.

That is a great result, but only fair given your long wait. At least BMW did the right thing.
Appreciate 1
Grant_72088.00
      09-28-2016, 09:39 AM   #584
crazybones
Lieutenant
Rep

Just noticed that my left exhaust pipe does not appear to be used. I thought that a flap opened up after startup, but my left pipe is cold and clean even when the car is at normal operating temperature.

Grant - is your car using both rear pipes when warm at idle?
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2016, 09:42 AM   #585
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Actually I tested this just the other day with help from MattOz!

In comfort mode the LH exhaust pipe is redundant, both at idle and when revving.

In sport mode the LH exhaust pipe was definitely in use, both at idle and when revving.
Appreciate 2
      09-28-2016, 09:59 AM   #586
crazybones
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Actually I tested this just the other day with help from MattOz!

In comfort mode the LH exhaust pipe is redundant, both at idle and when revving.

In sport mode the LH exhaust pipe was definitely in use, both at idle and when revving.
Great minds! You are quite correct - it only activates in Sport or Sport plus modes.

Many thanks. Hopefully that will help others as I couldn't find that previously mentioned by searching the forum.
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2016, 06:53 AM   #587
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
+1

I hear that there are numerous Genii sat bored and listless since mine, Grant's and Crazybone's cars completed the factory and shipping phase. It's for their own good that you must hassle them
Worry not, I've taken up the mantle of Jedi Master Grant and have been hassling them regularly. Do you think it's possible to get a Moderator ban from the BMW website?

At 9605 Pre-EU Port of Exit btw...

Gods I'm going to miss the OCD-ness of this. Or should that be CDO (alphabetical order, you understand....)

Actually, this whole Tolkien-esque saga reminded me of a (very) old joke;

Russian guy saves his roubles for years and years and eventually scrapes together enough to by a new Lada. He goes to the showroom, and places his order, presumably with individual leather dash, because the salesman tells him it'll be three years to the day before he can take delivery.
"Morning or afternoon?" enquires the buyer
"Eh?!" says the sales guy "it's three years away!"
"I know" comes the reply, "but I've got the plumber coming in the morning"

I'll get me coat......

Appreciate 3
Grant_72088.00
Rich9600738.50
      09-29-2016, 07:51 AM   #588
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep

Anyone got a link like this for Immingham? - I'm assuming the route for deliveries north of the border is CUX-IMM. Either that or a departure schedule for Cuxhaven

I found this http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/...tery:53/zoom:9 but wondered if there was something a bit easier to follow.

Looks like AUTOPROGRESS left Cuxhaven this morning, but doubt I made it onto that one as I was still showing as 9605 at 11am.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2016, 08:09 AM   #589
black stig
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktemplar
Anyone got a link like this for Immingham? - I'm assuming the route for deliveries north of the border is CUX-IMM. Either that or a departure schedule for Cuxhaven

I found this http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/...tery:53/zoom:9 but wondered if there was something a bit easier to follow.

Looks like AUTOPROGRESS left Cuxhaven this morning, but doubt I made it onto that one as I was still showing as 9605 at 11am.
Autoprogress left last night - I know as my car is on board! Due to dock at 8pm or so this evening.

I'll drop the details across later once I'm home.

now: 440i GC
gone: C350 CDI estate, C250 CDI, A4 1.8T quattro
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2016, 08:25 AM   #590
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by black stig View Post
Autoprogress left last night - I know as my car is on board! Due to dock at 8pm or so this evening.

How do you find out what boat you're on? More witchcraft?

When did you go to 9605? Mine only left the factory on Tuesday, so I'd be surprised if it made it onto Autoprogress. Genius is still showing it at 9605

Last edited by Blacktemplar; 09-29-2016 at 08:30 AM..
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2016, 08:35 AM   #591
Rukka
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

just catching up on this thread chaps.

Grant_7 and MashinBenzin - the lazy throttle you speak of. Have you tried the throttle adaptation reset procedure?

I did mine a few weeks ago and it really sharpened it up in Comfort mode.

Procedure;

Get in car - foot to floor on accelerator - turn on ignition (button press - do NOT start the engine) - stay like this for 2 minutes.

Press button again (ignition off) - release accelerator pedal - wait 2 minutes (some whirring and clicking can be heard)

Start car as normal

Might take some of that lag out of the top 5% of throttle ........

Past: C43, X4 M40i, TTS, M4 CP, 440i, 435d, M235i, 220d, F30, E90, E87
Appreciate 4
Grant_72088.00
djcowlin267.00
      09-29-2016, 08:55 AM   #592
black stig
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktemplar
Quote:
Originally Posted by black stig View Post

When did you go to 9605? Mine only left the factory on Tuesday, so I'd be surprised if it made it onto Autoprogress. Genius is still showing it at 9605
Checked departure schedules once I'd hit 9000 (Tuesday). Yesterday evening I was at sea, so process of elimination really. There's a link to boat schedules somewhere earlier in the thread.

It's enjoyable detective work! I'll kinda miss it.

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2016, 09:01 AM   #593
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktemplar View Post
Shipping schedules are here: http://www.uecc.com/Services/SailingSchedule.aspx

You'll likely be on the Auto Progress, sailing on the 1st Oct.
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2016, 09:06 AM   #594
black stig
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant_7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktemplar View Post
Shipping schedules are here: http://www.uecc.com/Services/SailingSchedule.aspx

You'll likely be on the Auto Progress, sailing on the 1st Oct.
Thanks!

Limited to the app at the moment so not easy to find the links.

Spent a good amount of time at the weekend trawling the history to get the details on boat tracking. It's quite a read start-end but has some really useful stuff.

Including throttle re-set!

Appreciate 2
Grant_72088.00