F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Hawk HPS 5.0 Review
proTUNING Freaks

07-05-2022, 11:09 AM   #45
JoHnMuir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Mine didn't have the vibration dampers, but I cannot notice a difference in noise or feel from my BMW pads that did. I bought them earlier this year.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 01:20 PM   #46
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner340 View Post
Has the Front Hawk 5.0 pads HB765B.664 changed in the last year or so? Appears they no longer have the weights on the ears of the pads which I assume is to dampen brake noise.

Some track day pad applications from other mfg's including Hawk don't have the weights either but I don't think noisy brakes are that much of a concern on the track.
Check out the R4S if you are concerned about the tabs. The set I installed not long ago still had them. Pads are great on the street.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Runner340369.50
      03-12-2023, 01:36 PM   #47
Emerson335
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i xDrive

Garage List
2015 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
I just installed front Hawk 5.0 pads HB765B.664 and they did not have the weights (although they still have the ears that hold them). I was honestly a bit taken back when I got them out of the package. I purchased from FCP and they only had a photo of the box when I ordered, however after looking at them on other sites including Hawk’s the product photos show no weights. I installed them as supplied (photos attached) and performed the bedding process last night without issue or noise. Have not had a chance to drive the car again since performing the bedding process.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2023, 08:17 AM   #48
AntRiz11
Rep
Drives: BMW 430xi Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowF30 View Post
I recently replaced my stock pads with Hawk 5.0s and I'm very happy with the out come. As the OP said, the pedal feels more linear than it did with stock pads and would recommend to anyone looking for a sportier street pad.
@slowF30 How did those Hawk pads hold up for you? I'm thinking of putting on a 2018 F36 with MSport brakes...I just bought the OEM pads but worried about brake dust. My installer said if I don't want squealing I should go EOM. Are the Hawks quiet?

Last edited by AntRiz11; 03-17-2023 at 10:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 07:02 PM   #49
nh90crxsi
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 Subaru Forester XT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntRiz11 View Post
@slowF30 How did those Hawk pads hold up for you? I'm thinking of putting on a 2018 F36 with MSport brakes...I just bought the OEM pads but worried about brake dust. My installer said if I don't want squealing I should go EOM. Are the Hawks quiet?
While I am not the person you were asking the question to, I will chime in with my experience

I am currently running the 5.0 pad on the front of my 340mm non m sport 340i
I am running a riveted Zimmerman Dimpled and slotted rotor from FCP, pads do not have the weights and I got those from Amazon

The pads do make some noise on low speed braking,(going into or backing out of parking is when it’s most noticed) not often but it deff happens more then it did with my stock pad
The dust is not anywhere near as bad as OEM but it’s there, in my bronze ARC 8 I do notice
On my plastidipped black 400m winter tire set up I do not notice

However in the rain they deff need to be pumped a time or three before they actually grab the rotor
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2023, 07:07 AM   #50
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nh90crxsi View Post
While I am not the person you were asking the question to, I will chime in with my experience

I am currently running the 5.0 pad on the front of my 340mm non m sport 340i
I am running a riveted Zimmerman Dimpled and slotted rotor from FCP, pads do not have the weights and I got those from Amazon

The pads do make some noise on low speed braking,(going into or backing out of parking is when it’s most noticed) not often but it deff happens more then it did with my stock pad
The dust is not anywhere near as bad as OEM but it’s there, in my bronze ARC 8 I do notice
On my plastidipped black 400m winter tire set up I do not notice

However in the rain they deff need to be pumped a time or three before they actually grab the rotor
Hawk 5.0 brake pads do not make noise. If you are hearing noise it’s most likely a poor installation where components weren’t properly cleaned and brake paste wasn’t properly applied. Or brake paste was worn off or blasted off by power washing wheels which they often do in car washes.

If you have to pump brakes in rain it is because water is between pad and rotor. It has absolutely nothing to do with the brand of brake pad. For better brake performance in rain, switch to full crossdrilled rotors. The holes prevent water from trapping between rotor and pad. BMW installs full crossdrilled rotors on M2/M3/M4.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2023, 04:18 PM   #51
DoubleParked
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK335iMSPT View Post
I do not recommend Zimmerman if you are after a "clean" look. The Zimmermans functioned well and took hard braking like a champ but they formed a layer of brow/yellowish rust even though they were zinc coated.
The zinc-coated area is actually intended to be sacrificial, which helps protect the rest of the rotor. https://www.corrosionpedia.com/defin...ficial-coating

"Sacrificial coating is a type of metal coating which will undergo oxidation more than the metal surface that it protects. The best example of this type of coating is zinc-coated steel or galvanized steel. More active sacrificial coating dissolves, depending on the anodic reaction. The electrons released by dissolved zinc or coating atoms will flow to that part of metal that is protected, turning it into a cathode, thus preventing corrosion of the metal."
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2023, 08:27 PM   #52
Emerson335
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i xDrive

Garage List
2015 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
For what it’s worth…I’ve put 1,000 miles on my new Hawk 5.0 pads over the past 2 weeks and have zero squealing or noise. Like I shared in my previous post, my Hawk pads did not include weights, and I also chose not to apply any pad grease. I’m running regular (flat face) Zimmerman rotors that are a little over a year old. My driving has been a good mix of short local trips to triple digit highway speeds, as well as both wet and dry conditions. I’m very happy with the pads so far, good feel and no noise, so I appreciate the recommendations from others here on the forums.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2023, 12:03 PM   #53
ssjelf
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i (M-Sport)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Hawk 5.0 brake pads do not make noise. If you are hearing noise it’s most likely a poor installation where components weren’t properly cleaned and brake paste wasn’t properly applied. Or brake paste was worn off or blasted off by power washing wheels which they often do in car washes.

If you have to pump brakes in rain it is because water is between pad and rotor. It has absolutely nothing to do with the brand of brake pad. For better brake performance in rain, switch to full crossdrilled rotors. The holes prevent water from trapping between rotor and pad. BMW installs full crossdrilled rotors on M2/M3/M4.
Mine clack when switching from reverse to forward and vice versa. Also sometimes when I apply the brakes after coasting. Do you get that on yours? Mine are in the m performance calipers if it makes a difference.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 04:21 AM   #54
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjelf View Post
Mine clack when switching from reverse to forward and vice versa. Also sometimes when I apply the brakes after coasting. Do you get that on yours? Mine are in the m performance calipers if it makes a difference.
I don’t know what a clack is. Haven’t heard that before. My Hawk 5.0 pads have never made noise on any of my cars.

M Performance calipers are identical (except for their red, orange or yellow color) to Blue M Sport calipers that are Blue Front 370mm and Rear 345mm.

Rotors are different because MP brakes come with dimpled & slotted rotors. Now those rotors definitely make noise which is really apparent when driving next to a highway center barrier that reflects the sound back to the driver
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 11:42 AM   #55
ssjelf
Rep

Quote:
I don’t know what a clack is. Haven’t heard that before. My Hawk 5.0 pads have never made noise on any of my cars.

M Performance calipers are identical (except for their red, orange or yellow color) to Blue M Sport calipers that are Blue Front 370mm and Rear 345mm.

Rotors are different because MP brakes come with dimpled & slotted rotors. Now those rotors definitely make noise which is really apparent when driving next to a highway center barrier that reflects the sound back to the driver
I’m using StopTech cross drilled rotors.

From what I’ve heard, the clack (it literally makes a sound like: CLACK) is the pads shifting slightly because they don’t fit 100% perfect. Some say it is because the backing material is too thin and the fit isn’t right, so they slide, others say the retaining pin slot on the pads is too wide for the pin.

Good to know yours don’t clack. But now I wonder how to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 07:14 PM   #56
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I’m using StopTech cross drilled rotors.

From what I’ve heard, the clack (it literally makes a sound like: CLACK) is the pads shifting slightly because they don’t fit 100% perfect. Some say it is because the backing material is too thin and the fit isn’t right, so they slide, others say the retaining pin slot on the pads is too wide for the pin.

Good to know yours don’t clack. But now I wonder how to fix it.
I didn’t think that they could slide with brake paste applied to the backing plate. See photo.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2023, 02:32 AM   #57
ssjelf
Rep

Quote:
I didn’t think that they could slide with brake paste applied to the backing plate. See photo.
Thanks for the info! I’ll check with the shop and ask where they applied paste. If it doesn’t match the pic, then maybe this is it.
Appreciate 1
johnung4552.50
      03-29-2023, 09:00 AM   #58
JoHnMuir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

With the viscosity of that paste I'd think it nearly impossible for them to slide around fast enough to make noise, if properly applied. I followed the manual for application and they've been silent for the last 7k miles. The pads shouldn't have no clearance between them and the stationary parts like the guide pins and the guide surfaces on the caliper, there will always be a little bit of play as intended.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2023, 09:10 AM   #59
ssjelf
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoHnMuir View Post
With the viscosity of that paste I'd think it nearly impossible for them to slide around fast enough to make noise, if properly applied. I followed the manual for application and they've been silent for the last 7k miles. The pads shouldn't have no clearance between them and the stationary parts like the guide pins and the guide surfaces on the caliper, there will always be a little bit of play as intended.
I did more digging and there was a post on the 1 series forum that explained it I think. They mentioned that BMW uses a shim that slightly wraps around the pad backing plate. This gives it about 1mm on either side over an aftermarket pad.

I agree that enough paste should prevent the noise.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2023, 12:16 PM   #60
WDE82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440iGC F36

Quote:
I did more digging and there was a post on the 1 series forum that explained it I think. They mentioned that BMW uses a shim that slightly wraps around the pad backing plate. This gives it about 1mm on either side over an aftermarket pad.

I agree that enough paste should prevent the noise.

A little click is normal for the front 4 pots. The pads can't be a perfect slip fit or they'll get jammed up so the slight clearance allows them to shift in the caliper. 100% normal.

As for these HPS 5.0 Pads, I'm not very satisfied with them right now. They started squealing pretty badly. When I removed the fronts to clean and lubricate again, the inboard pad backing was worn through to the metal so that's what's squealing. I applied more ceramic paste but that didn't solve the problem. Not sure why this happened as I had no such problems with these 4 pots and Ferodo DS2500 on my E82.

These pads also just feel pretty weak. Really requires a lot more braking force than I'd like to get to the limit of the tires. The bite just isn't there either. And I don't mean it's not equivalent to the stock high bite pads, but it's probably weaker than a ceramic Akebono which have notoriously weak bite.

Some of the drive feel/performance may be partly my shit Conti run flat tire's fault. Just ordered PS4S so we'll see if that makes things feel any different under hard braking (not talking about pedal feel).

If a bedding session doesn't solve the squealing then I'm pad slapping something else on these rotors.

Here is a picture after about 10,000 miles of city and highway driving around the South Bay in LA:

Last edited by WDE82; 08-19-2023 at 12:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2023, 01:00 PM   #61
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
I 2nd them, both akebono and hawk 5.0 are not great on track.... Full track that is... But will satisfy your open track day but looking to push the limit... I would suggest looking for something else
I've tried the 5.0 on track . . . for a few laps. Yeah . . . well, for light braking, fine. For that hammer the brakes or die turn VERY insufficient. Probably my best time around that turn but not willing to try that again.

We had a Porsche 918 show up to an HPDE and while I can't remember the colour I do remember the G37 that ping-ponged off two walls then slammed into the second wall he hit, going backwards, when it's genius owner wondered if cheapo tires would be okay on a damp track. Turns out, they're not. Everyone at the track says "Take it easy out there" and no one ever does. Get the gear you need because you sure as hell can't rely on 'taking it easy' when behind the wheel of a 300 hp+ machine.

So Hawk 5.0, as Hawk says, not for the track. HP+ are fine at the track I drive at which has a lot of fast turns (except for one, the aforementioned 'brake or die' turn). If you're hitting a more technical track, I'd go for something more aggressive.

Last edited by casualDIYer; 09-14-2023 at 05:36 PM..
Appreciate 1
johnung4552.50
      09-11-2023, 12:53 PM   #62
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

I hate these pads. I removed, regreased, followed BMW's instructions. Rinse, repeat 5 or 6 times already. These pads squeal and don't ever stop squealing. I removed them for the last time and temporarily replaced them with a set of Autozone Duralast Gold pads for all four corners. Guess what? ZERO noise.
      09-11-2023, 09:09 PM   #63
WDE82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440iGC F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxThe_RemedyXx View Post
I hate these pads. I removed, regreased, followed BMW's instructions. Rinse, repeat 5 or 6 times already. These pads squeal and don't ever stop squealing. I removed them for the last time and temporarily replaced them with a set of Autozone Duralast Gold pads for all four corners. Guess what? ZERO noise.

Yeah they suck. See my post above. Bought brembo ceramic that are many times better and actually cost significantly less. Will never buy hawk again.
      09-12-2023, 05:13 AM   #64
Th3Walrus
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC Alpine White/Sahkir

I put Hawk HPS on the rear of my wife's Mazda 3 years ago, and in under a year, 3 of the 4 pads separated from the backing plate.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 05:42 PM   #65
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3Walrus View Post
I put Hawk HPS on the rear of my wife's Mazda 3 years ago, and in under a year, 3 of the 4 pads separated from the backing plate.
That's pretty serious. Did you contact Hawk? But if the material separated from the backing plate, wouldn't you have metal on metal? The backing plate is held into the caliper with the pins but the braking material is affixed to the plate using lots of little teeth on the plate which dig into the braking material. I'd imagine if just one pad had such a failure you'd notice right away.
      01-31-2024, 02:10 PM   #66
carcar123454321
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i, Solstice GXP, Subaru Leg

I know this is an older post, but I wonder if Hawk HPS are better than HPS 5.0, even though the temperature ranges look better on the 5.0?

I've used Hawk HPS on the street for years on my Subaru and my Solstice and really liked them. I've tracked my Subaru and used several track pads (Carbotech XP8/10/12). (And as noted, I'd never take a purely street pad on a track...at least step up one level (e.g. HP+ minimum, etc.))

I called Hawk before putting them on my Solstice GXP and they said if you are more performance oriented and are used to tracking, etc., on the street they suggested HPS (older) vs the newer HPS 5.0, perhaps mostly for feel.

Surprises me 5.0 are having some troubling reviews.

I've like the stock pads on my BMW so far...I wonder if I should just stick with those. Or I may just get the older HPS and not the 5.0.
Appreciate 0