F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > sDRIVE v xDRIVE
ARMA SPEED

05-02-2014, 12:08 PM   #45
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Was talking about it today with the dealer and we both came to same conclusion. Much as BMW will never sell the M550d here as it could steal M5 sales, so we'll most likely never see a M340d as it will do likewise to M3 (would certainly pull me away).

I can see where this one's going....... Bugger...
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 12:53 PM   #46
Emil
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 DCT

My approach to get as close as possible to the best of both worlds is my 335i xDrive with springs from AC Schnitzer. The car is lowered some decent 25mm and the stiffer springs work brilliantly with the adaptive dampers. This is how it should have come directly from the factory. So for under a grand this was the way to go for me and I am completely happy. I can only recommend this easy mod to all of you that are complaining about the soft and less prcise ride of the xDrive.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 12:59 PM   #47
ozwol
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f31 335d g31 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emil View Post
My approach to get as close as possible to the best of both worlds is my 335i xDrive with springs from AC Schnitzer. The car is lowered some decent 25mm and the stiffer springs work brilliantly with the adaptive dampers. This is how it should have come directly from the factory. So for under a grand this was the way to go for me and I am completely happy. I can only recommend this easy mod to all of you that are complaining about the soft and less prcise ride of the xDrive.
I was considering the AC Schnitzer springs for our non adaptive if we found it too soft. As well as lowering can you confirm that they do also stiffen the ride up? Would thase work on the non adaptive as well? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 01:07 PM   #48
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
You're the first person I can recall who has actually done it!

Would be interested to hear more ... Ride comfort, clearance for speed bumps etc all ok?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 01:30 PM   #49
ewanmac
Captain
Rep
Drives: m140i

It would be interesting to find out the split between xdrive and sdrive but my local dealer up here in Abedeen told me 80% of their 3 series sales are now xdrive. Quite an incredible bias. They also anticipate the residuals to be higher on the xdrive.

Possibly because snow can be more of a problem up here but it would be good to find out the stats nationally.
      05-02-2014, 01:46 PM   #50
Emil
Private
Germany
Rep

I am sorry but I do not know if the springs will work with the non adaptive shocks and in case they did, if the result was comparable.

The ride comfort is absolutely uncompromised, which was very important to me, as the car is my daily driver and I am going 40.000 km per year...
It feels now much closer to the ride of a E90 M Sport, but without the harshness of that one. The car is lowered 25mm, this means it is 10mm lower than the sDrive with M Sport springs. Thus clearance is not an issue.
Parts and labor were about 900,-- Euros and I find this a really great investment.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 02:08 PM   #51
ozwol
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I am sorry but I do not know if the springs will work with the non adaptive shocks and in case they did, if the result was comparable.

The ride comfort is absolutely uncompromised, which was very important to me, as the car is my daily driver and I am going 40.000 km per year...
It feels now much closer to the ride of a E90 M Sport, but without the harshness of that one. The car is lowered 25mm, this means it is 10mm lower than the sDrive with M Sport springs. Thus clearance is not an issue.
Parts and labor were about 900,-- Euros and I find this a really great investment.
Thanks Emil, i can only assume it would act in a similar way for the non adaptive, stiffening up to a lesser extent if anything. I will certainly give it a go if the ride is too soft for our liking. AC Schnitzer UK have quoted £550 fully fitted with KDS alignment and warranty. We dont have the car yet so im just looking for potential ideas. Its a long story but it is too late to add adaptive to the order. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 06:42 PM   #52
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

Just seen this thread.
sDrive is what a BMW is all about. The fun of it.
xDrive on a BMW saloon or coupe is sacrilege. But if you drive a BMW hearse (station wagon) you are forgiven.
But, this is for NISFAN, sDrive with adaptive.
      05-03-2014, 02:55 AM   #53
Alkidrew
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 325d M Sport GS

How much would you bet that bmw never ever ever offer x drive on an m3?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 03:29 AM   #54
335dJa
Captain
Rep
Drives: Yes

So, because you don't like xdrive, bmw shouldn't make it?
Unbelievable, the ONLY reason I have a bmw now is because they finally offered it in xdrive in the uk. As previously mentioned, it has been around for decades in other markets, so all this crap about diluting the brand is irrelevant. How about you stick to your sdrives and accept there is a market for xdrives, regardless of your opinions. I'm so truly bored of reading opinionated bollocks.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 03:37 AM   #55
Agent Smith
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35D 2012 version

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dJa View Post
Unbelievable, the ONLY reason I have a bmw now is because they finally offered it in xdrive in the uk. As previously mentioned, it has been around for decades in other markets, so all this crap about diluting the brand is irrelevant. How about you stick to your sdrives and accept there is a market for xdrives, regardless of your opinions. I'm so truly bored of reading opinionated bollocks.
+1
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 03:42 AM   #56
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

The majority of new car sales are to people who just want a car, are attracted by BMW's good finance terms, want something that has a good quality feel (yes we know some issues).
I imagine those that buy a 3 series are not even thinking about sporty feel of the driving about rear wheel drive etc, it's a car.
However, I bet that BMW have attracted more buyers by offering xdrive in the UK, does it add more to the driving, they don't care.
They have heard the horror stories of rear wheeled cars in the snow BUT now BMW have offered them a chance to buy one that they can drive.

Probably half the people on this forum (me included) do not drive sdrive to get best out of it and apart from ride height most would not know the difference.
So yes Sdrive gives best experience if you know or live where you get the best out of it.
Other than that know one really cares one way or the other.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 04:03 AM   #57
BMWSKI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E63 AMG Saloon :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozwol View Post
Thanks Emil, i can only assume it would act in a similar way for the non adaptive, stiffening up to a lesser extent if anything. I will certainly give it a go if the ride is too soft for our liking. AC Schnitzer UK have quoted £550 fully fitted with KDS alignment and warranty. We dont have the car yet so im just looking for potential ideas. Its a long story but it is too late to add adaptive to the order. Cheers.
What have ACS UK quoted you for exactly? Are you waiting for a 335d saloon?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 05:37 AM   #58
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

I've started to drive my sDrive in Sport all the time. Ride is still excellent and handling quite superb. Only problem is, I am becoming a bit of a dare devil and nearly had a prang this morning.
      05-03-2014, 06:07 AM   #59
Emil
Private
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkidrew View Post
How much would you have bet some five years ago that BMW never ever offer a front wheel drive car?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 06:35 AM   #60
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dJa View Post
Both sDrives and xDrives have their rightful place in the market.
      05-03-2014, 06:42 AM   #61
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i 6MT w/ MPS & MPE

I'm here in Canada with an obvious winter condition. I had two E60's, one a RWD and one an X drive prior to owning my F30. I alternated in winter time. One year, I put winters on the RWD car and drove it and loved it.

After some engine troubles on the RWD, I thought about living with the x drive as my only car. Needless to say, I sold both and picked up a F30 RWD. I added non run flat Michelin tires and the M-performance suspension and now it's the absolute best handling car I've ever owned.

This past winter was one of the longest on record and the car survived with some careful driving. If your choice of an x drive is for a non enthusiast driver, then it's definitely a good choice. They aren't going to complain about the softer handling. If you're an enthusiast, a RWD isn't that hard to maneuver in inclement weather with some good attention and technique and when spring/summer roll around the car will reward you.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 07:37 AM   #62
ozwol
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWSKI View Post
What have ACS UK quoted you for exactly? Are you waiting for a 335d saloon?
Thanks
They quoted for the lowering springs, fitting and kds alignment. I,m waiting for a touring, should be a few weeks now. I'll only go ahead if the wallowy setup others have talked about makes us feel sick, otherwise the softer suspension doesn't bother me and would be a welcome change from the msport.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 05:44 AM   #63
BMWSKI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E63 AMG Saloon :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozwol View Post
They quoted for the lowering springs, fitting and kds alignment. I,m waiting for a touring, should be a few weeks now. I'll only go ahead if the wallowy setup others have talked about makes us feel sick, otherwise the softer suspension doesn't bother me and would be a welcome change from the msport.
Great. let us know how you get on...
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 06:19 AM   #64
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkidrew View Post
How much would you bet, that BMW never ever offer a front wheel drive small MPV.

Just what are the chances of that?

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 08:29 AM   #65
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

I'm booking in tomorrow to get done ASAP. Will do before after photos and report findings!
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 09:27 AM   #66
ozwol
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex View Post
I'm booking in tomorrow to get done ASAP. Will do before after photos and report findings!
What are you having done and why? Is yours adaptive suspension? Cheers
Appreciate 0