F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Ageing drivers
ARMA SPEED

01-19-2019, 04:45 AM   #45
djcowlin
Captain
Rep
Drives: G21 330e

To be fair to the BBC they've now got a full report up, with an interview with the witness and a full set of quotes, including the one about the sun. One quote they don't report is today's Mirror front page headline: 'I'm such a fool'...
      01-19-2019, 07:39 AM   #46
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

I hope that the other party's insurers get their money for them quickly, assuming they weren't at fault
Imagine the claim form...
Name of third party: HRH etc
Description of accident: I was just driving along, minding my own business when this mad old Greek bloke pulled out of nowhere like a bat out of hell...
Wills28717.50
      01-19-2019, 08:36 AM   #47
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TodmordenLad View Post
I hope that the other party's insurers get their money for them quickly, assuming they weren't at fault
Description of accident: I was just driving along, minding my own business when this mad old Greek bloke pulled out of nowhere like a bat out of hell...
You said old! Age police will be here in moments!

Just after their cocoa and nap
      01-19-2019, 09:30 AM   #48
Isow
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TodmordenLad View Post
He was just popping out to get a kebab !
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2019, 09:50 AM   #49
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
For me it would be enhanced testing of observational skills, reaction times and perhaps motor skills. Simulation software is a cheap and simple way to do this.

Score below a certain score and you have to take a real test.

Test at 65 or 70. Score then determines how long before the next test, and so on.
Agree, but ..65 is too low if the current retirement age is higher than that as it contradicts that the government thinks the average person is fit and able to work untill their late 60s.

70 sounds about right for now
Appreciate 2
Harryg276.00
      01-19-2019, 05:22 PM   #50
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Well he's not messing about....

Philip, 97, is back behind the wheel of a new Land Rover ALONE, without a seatbelt on a public road – as mother who broke her wrist when he crashed into her says he has NOT apologised

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-97-wheel.html

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal...norfolk-police

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 03:22 AM   #51
Hugrov
Captain
Rep
Drives: F36 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post

Philip, 97, is back behind the wheel of a new Land Rover ALONE, without a seatbelt on a public road – as mother who broke her wrist when he crashed into her says he has NOT apologised

It beggars belief really and just shows the contempt he has for members of the public and other road users...........daft old git really should hang up his driving gloves!!
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2019, 03:23 AM   #52
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Obviously thinks he's above the law - f**king disgraceful
      01-20-2019, 03:31 AM   #53
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

01-20-2019, 03:45 AM   #54
shoestring
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 320D Sport Auto

The roads are dangerous places and I think that there should a mandatory re- test for everyone after every 10years of driving up to age 65 and then over 65years of age a mandatory re-test every 3years.
I am currently 72 and wouldn't have a problem with that would anyone else?
Appreciate 6
DaveH28287.00
JustChris17608.50
allachie91334.00
sahajesh2295.00
Edinburra547.50
      01-20-2019, 04:35 AM   #55
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoestring View Post
The roads are dangerous places and I think that there should a mandatory re- test for everyone after every 10years of driving up to age 65 and then over 65years of age a mandatory re-test every 3years.
No problem at all, that makes perfect sense.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 04:37 AM   #56
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugrov View Post
Quote:

It beggars belief really and just shows the contempt he has for members of the public and other road users...........daft old git really should hang up his driving gloves!!
It does beggars belief and is no doubt that partly derived from a sense of overwhelming privilege and superiority. BUT many of a similar declining mental capacity would probably make similar decisions through a lack of awareness of their abilities combined with a need to get somewhere independently. That's why a legal solution should be found.

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 04:40 AM   #57
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoestring View Post
A mandatory re-test every 10 years for people over 65?

I doubt whether some 30, 40 or 50 years old's would pass a re-test based on the state of peoples driving on the road let alone a 65 year old!

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 04:48 AM   #58
Isow
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
It does beggars belief and is no doubt that partly derived from a sense of overwhelming privilege and superiority. BUT many of a similar declining mental capacity would probably make similar decisions through a lack of awareness of their abilities combined with a need to get somewhere independently. That's why a legal solution should be found.
I doubt that since he left the Navy many years ago, nobody has ever used the
word no to him.
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2019, 04:54 AM   #59
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isow View Post
Quote:
I doubt that since he left the Navy many years ago, nobody has ever used the
word no to him.
I'm sure that's true! They probably spelt it differently for him in the navy too, something like 'yes but wouldn't you rather...' instead of no

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 05:40 AM   #60
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln61 View Post
An interesting and difficult topic. As a Social Worker who works with the elderly I have in the past had to recommend people have their driving licence withdrawn. The risk to others is just too much and they are dangerous.

The impact of this can often be devastating on the person. Loss of independence, that little trip to the Spa may be the only social contact they have, or the trip to the social club where they meet their last surviving friend. Not even able to get to the doctor on their own results in delayed treatment and becoming dependent on others.

While it's the right thing to do, the consequences can be much more severe than you may think on first glance. So that question "why does he even bother to drive" needs putting in context. If you had retired from a busy job, felt your usefulness and purpose drifting away, wouldn't you like to do something simple that we take for granted like getting in the car?
I don't think DoE needs to worry about the trip to Spar or the social club plus he has enough actual overseas trips to keep him busy. Let's not confuse a monarch with immense wealth and activities with Mr Jones (widower) who doesn't have much in his life.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 07:57 AM   #61
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Well someone is after their 15 minutes..

"I could have died" "I'm lucky to be alive" it's a broken wrist love. Get over it. You're going to be just fine. As injuries go, I'm pretty sure no one has died of a broken wrist.

"I know the Queen is a busy lady but I was really excited at the idea that she might phone me" You obviously have no idea how the Royals work. Do you really think the Queen is really going to pick up the phone? "Yes hello, Liz here. Just to let you know Phil is terribly sorry about the accident. Hope you are ok. Toodle pip, must dash, the corgis need a walk". I really don't think so.

And of course there's the obligatory picture of her looking sad. I hope taking the Sunday Mirror's silver was worth it.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...aid-sorry.html
Appreciate 3
1 AKY459.00
      01-20-2019, 08:05 AM   #62
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post

"I could have died" "I'm lucky to be alive" it's a broken wrist love. Get over it. You're going to be just fine. As injuries go, I'm pretty sure no one has died of a broken wrist.

"I know the Queen is a busy lady but I was really excited at the idea that she might phone me" You obviously have no idea how the Royals work. Do you really think the Queen is really going to pick up the phone? "Yes hello, Liz here. Just to let you know Phil is terribly sorry about the accident. Hope you are ok. Toodle pip, must dash, the corgis need a walk". I really don't think so.

And of course there's the obligatory picture of her looking sad. I hope taking the Sunday Mirror's silver was worth it.

Haha lucky to be alive indeed.
      01-20-2019, 08:15 AM   #63
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post

Agree - last time I was in an accident, I fully expected follow-up visits and invites to their house as it was their fault.

Dozy cow is milking it for all it's worth and more on top.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 08:36 AM   #64
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Cynical behaviour indeed and entirely predictable
That said, I doubt her brand new replacement vehicle was delivered to her front door within 24hrs of the accident, not to mention use of a chauffeur during the few hours HRH was carless!
      01-20-2019, 08:40 AM   #65
Colmsport
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport

Bound to happen, I’m sure she’s seeing £ signs & thinking of what she is going to spend her ‘whiplash’ compensation on. Plus all the psychological damage that she will suffer, that’s got to be worth a few quid.... In fact, I bet the ‘no win no fee’ solicitor vermin lot are crawling all over themselves to get the opportunity to make a few quid.

Regardless of this though, DoE evidently thinks he’s above the law. You’d think he would keep a low profile rather than getting out there again & clearly break the law by not wearing a seatbelt. Makes you wonder what other stuff over the years they’ve gotten away with....

Personally, I think he’s lost his marbles. Should have had his licence removed years ago.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 09:19 AM   #66
Isow
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colmsport View Post
Bound to happen, I’m sure she’s seeing £ signs & thinking of what she is going to spend her ‘whiplash’ compensation on. Plus all the psychological damage that she will suffer, that’s got to be worth a few quid.... In fact, I bet the ‘no win no fee’ solicitor vermin lot are crawling all over themselves to get the opportunity to make a few quid.

Regardless of this though, DoE evidently thinks he’s above the law. You’d think he would keep a low profile rather than getting out there again & clearly break the law by not wearing a seatbelt. Makes you wonder what other stuff over the years they’ve gotten away with....

Personally, I think he’s lost his marbles. Should have had his licence removed years ago.
The DofE could well have the early stages of dementia.
My late father in law had Alzheimer’s and when he was in the early stages
it was a mammoth task to get the car keys off him and stop him driving.
He also had an aggressive personality, similar to the DofE.
Appreciate 0