F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > cts turbo catted dp any good? (edit: installed and reviewed)
ARMA SPEED

09-15-2020, 11:12 PM   #45
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestylerfalcon View Post
awesome write ups. i had a read.

redline in 4th is crazy fast, would a 3rd gear + half of 4th provide a decent log?
Top of 4th is like... 90 on a 8AT? Just use a freeway onramp or something. If you are 6MT then you want 3rd anyways. But in any case just do what you can safely. The main benefit of the higher gears is more load and a longer pull.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 11:49 PM   #46
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Quote:
got the pipe today
Hmm. It is a really small section of catalyst. Just in between the o2 bungs.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 12:22 AM   #47
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post
Hmm. It is a really small section of catalyst. Just in between the o2 bungs.
It is indeed, especially because it looks like there even a little distance between each O2 hole and where it starts. Also look pretty low density. Interested to see how it sounds and smells. Should perform well simply going based on that and overall design. I do like that is has a bracket. Looks nice for the price. First true test will be fitment and O2 placement.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 06:50 AM   #48
Freestylerfalcon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
It is indeed, especially because it looks like there even a little distance between each O2 hole and where it starts. Also look pretty low density. Interested to see how it sounds and smells. Should perform well simply going based on that and overall design. I do like that is has a bracket. Looks nice for the price. First true test will be fitment and O2 placement.
it looks low density as fuck.

hoping it doesnt smell bad lol
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 07:56 AM   #49
Jnat
DisplacementReplacement
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

On the fence with this pipe so i'm really interested in fitment, smell and sound... Let us know and good luck!
2009 335XI FBO / COBB / E30
2007 328XI Stock
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 04:33 AM   #50
Freestylerfalcon
Private First Class
Rep

i installed the dp today. it sounds pretty awesome.

sadly i need to deal with an exhaust leak from the lower vband as i had an issue with the gasket during install.

i will do a full write up on it with sound clips as soon as i sort this annoying exhaust leak.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 11:38 AM   #51
skyactiv0
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 435i XDrive

Quote:
i installed the dp today. it sounds pretty awesome.

sadly i need to deal with an exhaust leak from the lower vband as i had an issue with the gasket during install.

i will do a full write up on it with sound clips as soon as i sort this annoying exhaust leak.
I'm excited to hear the results, i'm also thinking of getting your catted dp!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 10:21 PM   #52
Freestylerfalcon
Private First Class
Rep

ok heres my review of the cts turbo high flow cat dp.

install wise the fitment was great. i found that my car was missing the brace that supports stock dp so i cant comment on fitment of that. but the pipe lined up well with turbo and midpipe.

noise wise i have MPE, and the exhaust note sounds similar to before just quite abit louder. acceleration in comfort mode is like the volume of sport+ mode before. under hard acceleration there is an added deeper guttural tone as well. cruising around in comfort mode the car is still civilised and quiet.

bm3 burbles are louder as expected and have more crack and bang to them rather than just burbling.

i havent been on the highway yet but cruising at about 90kmph the exhaust is definately more audible but i wouldnt describe it as droney at all. trust me i know what exhaust drone is, i used to own a nissan silvia s15 with full exhaust that had headache inducing drone.

it sounds really nice, the perfect combo for me without being excessively loud for a daily driver.

smell wise even when standing behind the car idling there is no noticeable difference in smell. i noticed after hard revs in my driveway it smelt like exhaust but nothing worse than stock.

as for butt dyno tbh it doesnt really feel any different. people talk about faster turbo spool but to me i dont notice a huge difference.

overall im really happy with it. i got exactly what i was after, which is an awesome sound without a terrible smell.

here are my sound clips revving in sport+
they kinda sound the same on recording lol, but the increase in volume really makes the car sound alot more aggressive than before.

Appreciate 5
      09-21-2020, 09:05 AM   #53
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thank you for the review Freestylerfalcon

We now offer the CTS downpipes

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 12:18 PM   #54
skyactiv0
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 435i XDrive

Quote:
ok heres my review of the cts turbo high flow cat dp.

install wise the fitment was great. i found that my car was missing the brace that supports stock dp so i cant comment on fitment of that. but the pipe lined up well with turbo and midpipe.

noise wise i have MPE, and the exhaust note sounds similar to before just quite abit louder. acceleration in comfort mode is like the volume of sport+ mode before. under hard acceleration there is an added deeper guttural tone as well. cruising around in comfort mode the car is still civilised and quiet.

bm3 burbles are louder as expected and have more crack and bang to them rather than just burbling.

i havent been on the highway yet but cruising at about 90kmph the exhaust is definately more audible but i wouldnt describe it as droney at all. trust me i know what exhaust drone is, i used to own a nissan silvia s15 with full exhaust that had headache inducing drone.

it sounds really nice, the perfect combo for me without being excessively loud for a daily driver.

smell wise even when standing behind the car idling there is no noticeable difference in smell. i noticed after hard revs in my driveway it smelt like exhaust but nothing worse than stock.

as for butt dyno tbh it doesnt really feel any different. people talk about faster turbo spool but to me i dont notice a huge difference.

overall im really happy with it. i got exactly what i was after, which is an awesome sound without a terrible smell.

here are my sound clips revving in sport+
they kinda sound the same on recording lol, but the increase in volume really makes the car sound alot more aggressive than before.

Thank you for the review, that was thorough. I'm glad you're liking it!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 08:59 PM   #55
Kolianovskyi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

Hey, folks! I understand it might not be in line with a thread, but pros and cons for cattless options?

There are a lot on cheap items on Ebay for literally $90-180 without catts.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 10:50 PM   #56
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolianovskyi View Post
Hey, folks! I understand it might not be in line with a thread, but pros and cons for cattless options?

This horse is beat to death already man just search lol...

Catless - bang for buck, but smell, CEL (that can be supressed with tune), and no emissions compliance.

All aftermarket catted except fabspeed and AA - basically the same performance on stock turbo as catless, little to no smell, CEL (that can be supressed with tune), and no emissions compliance.

fabspeed and AA catted - expensive, but nearly all the power of catless, no CEL, and emissions compliance (OBD2)
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 09:27 AM   #57
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolianovskyi View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
This horse is beat to death already man just search lol...

Catless - bang for buck, but smell, CEL (that can be supressed with tune), and no emissions compliance.

All aftermarket catted except fabspeed and AA - basically the same performance on stock turbo as catless, little to no smell, CEL (that can be supressed with tune), and no emissions compliance.

fabspeed and AA catted - expensive, but nearly all the power of catless, no CEL, and emissions compliance (OBD2)
Also make sure to get a proven brand, if the downpipe do not fit flush it'll leak causing a drop in power and a fuel smell inside the cabin

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 02:02 AM   #58
Freestylerfalcon
Private First Class
Rep

hello friends.

ive got abit more feedback on the cts turbo downpipe.

after a glowing happy review last post i ran into an issue which i feel is abit of a design flaw with the dp. specifically the position of the top o2 sensor.

i will try my best to describe the issue through words but it might be hard to picture it if you haven't done the install yourself.

so after install there was quite abit of vibration through the steering wheel under acceleration. at first i didnt know whether it was normal or not when upgrading a dp.

however i noticed whenever turning left and accelerating, the vibration was really really pronounced and also the steering would become heavy and sticky. this was surely not right.

got under the car again and found that when the downpipe was nicely lined up with the turbo and midpipe. the top o2 sensor fouls on the steering shaft.

i had to undo both v clamps and the midpipe support bracket to rotate the dp counter clockwise (facing forward from the rear of the car) in order to get some clearance from the steering shaft. this however pushes the midpipe toward to the right of the car, making it hard to then reattach the midpipe bracket.

i have attached a photo showing where the top o2 sensor comes super close to the steering shaft.

also a photo of the midpipe bracket/hanger. you can see that the hanger on the midpipe is now protruding out of the bracket a fair bit, but it is still attached.

i feel that if the top o2 sensor bung was placed just 1 or 2cm counter clockwise you would clear the steering shaft and also have the dp lined up nicely with midpipe.

i found my car was missing the support bracket for the dp so maybe this made fitment more difficult?

and also my car is a rhd australian version so maybe this would not be an issue in lhd cars where the steering shaft would presumably be on the other side of the car.

anyways its all sorted now and my steering feels normal again. still loving the sound but just wanted to share my experience.
Attached Images

Last edited by Freestylerfalcon; 09-25-2020 at 05:39 PM..
Appreciate 3
      09-25-2020, 08:02 AM   #59
khj24
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
hello friends.

ive got abit more feedback on the cts turbo downpipe.

after a glowing happy review last post i ran into an issue which i feel is abit of a design flaw with the dp. specifically the position of the top o2 sensor.

i will try my best to describe the issue through words but it might be hard to picture it if you haven't done the install yourself.

so after install there was quite abit of vibration through the steering wheel under acceleration. at first i didnt know whether it was normal or not when upgrading a dp.

however i noticed whenever turning left and accelerating, the vibration was really really pronounced and also the steering would become heavy and sticky. this was surely not right.

got under the car again and found that when the downpipe was nicely lined up with the turbo and midpipe. the top o2 sensor fouls on the steering rack.

i had to undo both v clamps and the midpipe support bracket to rotate the dp counter clockwise (facing forward from the rear of the car) in order to get some clearance from the steering rack. this however pushes the midpipe toward to the right of the car, making it hard to then reattach the midpipe bracket.

i have attached a photo showing where the top o2 sensor comes super close to the steering rack.

also a photo of the midpipe bracket/hanger. you can see that the hanger on the midpipe is now protruding out of the bracket a fair bit, but it is still attached.

i feel that if the top o2 sensor bung was placed just 1 or 2cm counter clockwise you would clear the steering rack and also have the dp lined up nicely with midpipe.

i found my car was missing the support bracket for the dp so maybe this made fitment more difficult?

and also my car is a rhd australian version so maybe this would not be an issue in lhd cars where the steering rack would presumably be on the other side of the car.

anyways its all sorted now and my steering feels normal again. still loving the sound but just wanted to share my experience.
Obviously not ideal, but to clarify that is the steering shaft from the wheel not the actual rack right? Trying to get a visual idea, but it looks like that is coming down from the cabin to the rack and not going from one wheel to another, if so LHD shouldn't be an issue. Glad you found some remedy and didn't have to take the downpipe off completely!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 10:02 AM   #60
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

I'd consider giving them that feedback, maybe they can modify things for RHD cars.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 10:09 AM   #61
Freestylerfalcon
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by khj24 View Post
Obviously not ideal, but to clarify that is the steering shaft from the wheel not the actual rack right? Trying to get a visual idea, but it looks like that is coming down from the cabin to the rack and not going from one wheel to another, if so LHD shouldn't be an issue. Glad you found some remedy and didn't have to take the downpipe off completely!
yea didnt kno whats its called but its the steering shaft then. the thing that turns as you turn the wheel
Appreciate 1
khj24223.00
      09-25-2020, 11:11 AM   #62
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pray for Mojo View Post
I'd consider giving them that feedback, maybe they can modify things for RHD cars.
+1, they may not have considered O2 placement relative to steering components for a RHD car. I would definitely let them know.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 02:32 PM   #63
khj24
Lieutenant
Rep

First impressions, fits great, a noticeable amount of fuel smell, but not OTT and I'm probably very sensitive to things like this, but what you're really after- if you want to go straight to the top of your neighborhood shit-list this is the mod for you.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 12:22 AM   #64
Freestylerfalcon
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
First impressions, fits great, a noticeable amount of fuel smell, but not OTT and I'm probably very sensitive to things like this, but what you're really after- if you want to go straight to the top of your neighborhood shit-list this is the mod for you.
haha cold starts too loud?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 08:39 AM   #65
khj24
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
haha cold starts too loud?
I had it backed up pretty far in my garage near a wall for when I was working on it, but it was quite the difference. I will see how it is when I park normally.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 08:57 AM   #66
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I had it backed up pretty far in my garage near a wall for when I was working on it, but it was quite the difference. I will see how it is when I park normally.

Appreciate 0