F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Under-seat Subwoofer Reviews
proTUNING Freaks

05-27-2024, 06:06 AM   #705
NealfromNZ
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

With the new info on the eqs you’d be fine. They don’t move +/- 23mm flat out as per earlier specs within rated power.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2024, 07:48 AM   #706
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

They never did move 23mm so it's a moot point.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2024, 04:37 PM   #707
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by djv112 View Post
I was referring to a spacer between the dust covers and the SWS speakers, maybe they are just not needed.
No, no spacer needed between cover and speaker.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2024, 08:45 PM   #708
youssef123452002
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i xdrive MPPK

I have an F80 with HK system and as a lot of people here I am happy with the overall sound except the low end, after reading everything and as an engineer myself (mechanical so nothing to do with acoustic or sound engineering)
I know that a lot of these after market subwoofer companies have lots of just marketing games to get people to buy their stuff but without real specs as Bill who is an expert is stating it means nothing. I decided I will buy the earthquakes sws 4 ohm version and will get a separate amp for them.
Will report back
Found an interesting video from earthquake designer though
Again I am not a sound engineer and know nothing about speaker design but I trust the science and data and this guy is talking scientifically and basically Bill is stating exactly the same thing. You can buy anything and convince yourself that it's better because it's louder and you get used to it after a while but numbers and specs can't lie.

I will report back when everything comes and I install everything.
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2024, 07:34 AM   #709
Seiko49
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 428i M-sport, 2021 X6 M

I saw a thin woofer last month. The name of the speaker is Trulli TD 10s, and it's a beauty. Looking at the size it's 2.183 inches tall, that is 1.5 mm taller than the SWS. Has anyone ever seen or heard this woofer? Here is some information that I show. How does it compare with the SWS...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2024, 07:36 AM   #710
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiko49 View Post
How does it compare with the SWS...
It doesn't. It's a ten inch.
Appreciate 1
johnung4939.50
      06-08-2024, 07:43 AM   #711
Seiko49
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 428i M-sport, 2021 X6 M

Could it fit the location under the seat?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2024, 08:22 AM   #712
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Could it fit the location under the seat?
No. BMW has underseat subwoofer cabinets that fit at most 8” subs
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2024, 08:41 AM   #713
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by youssef123452002 View Post
I have an F80 with HK system and as a lot of people here I am happy with the overall sound except the low end, after reading everything and as an engineer myself (mechanical so nothing to do with acoustic or sound engineering)
I know that a lot of these after market subwoofer companies have lots of just marketing games to get people to buy their stuff but without real specs as Bill who is an expert is stating it means nothing. I decided I will buy the earthquakes sws 4 ohm version and will get a separate amp for them.
Will report back
Found an interesting video from earthquake designer though
Again I am not a sound engineer and know nothing about speaker design but I trust the science and data and this guy is talking scientifically and basically Bill is stating exactly the same thing. You can buy anything and convince yourself that it's better because it's louder and you get used to it after a while but numbers and specs can't lie.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EQA7zlIkqAY

I will report back when everything comes and I install everything.
Curious why you bought the 4-ohm SWS-8X? The 2-ohm SWS-8Xi is a better choice. It can be driven by the AudioControl ACM-2.300 combination LOC/Amplifier with 150w/channel into 2ohms. See photo. I searched for months before finding this LOC/Amplifier with the perfect specs to interface between the HK amp and the Earthquake SWS-8Xi.

Also needed are a pair of Earthquake R8SWS installation rings, about $27 from retailers or direct from Earthquake Sound. See photo. And a custom wiring harness from Technicpnp website (~$65) to make it simple to connect secondary amp to Harman Kardon amp without cutting/splicing.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2024, 04:24 PM   #714
NealfromNZ
Captain
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
I saw a thin woofer last month. The name of the speaker is Trulli TD 10s, and it's a beauty. Looking at the size it's 2.183 inches tall, that is 1.5 mm taller than the SWS. Has anyone ever seen or heard this woofer? Here is some information that I show. How does it compare with the SWS...
You’d have 3 challenges trying to get that to fit.

1, there is 38mm of clearance between enclosure face and bottom of seat rail so you’d need to factor in a spacer height plus the top profile of the speaker and allowing for cone surround upward movement.

2, the enclosure mounting width is around 200mm

3, The enclosure shape towards the console is shollow and tapers up.

But with a carefully designed 3d printed space that is offset slightly towards console and slightly lower on the seat real side ( slightly wedge shaped ) you might be able to get it to work. You’d also need a custom speaker grill that stops at the seat rail to protect it.

For context I was trying to use an SI TM8 in the enclosure. At 57mm it would have needed 23mm offsets spacer for the magnet to clear. ( without cutting bottom of enclosure out 5 series style ) But the issue became the speaker cone surround would only have 2mm of clearance with seat real on xmax and suspect would touch at xmech ( maximum speaker trav
As an aside people have been able to insatall TM8s by cutting the bottom of the enclosure out to give a few more mms of depth.

Here’s some pics for context. The stick in one photo it 210 mm wide for context.

Last pic is the two enclosures used. Base audio left , Harman Kardon right. Basically they have similar depths.
Attached Images

Last edited by NealfromNZ; 06-08-2024 at 04:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2024, 08:12 PM   #715
LIVY435IGC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Curious why you bought the 4-ohm SWS-8X? The 2-ohm SWS-8Xi is a better choice. It can be driven by the AudioControl ACM-2.300 combination LOC/Amplifier with 150w/channel into 2ohms. See photo. I searched for months before finding this LOC/Amplifier with the perfect specs to interface between the HK amp and the Earthquake SWS-8Xi.

Also needed are a pair of Earthquake R8SWS installation rings, about $27 from retailers or direct from Earthquake Sound. See photo. And a custom wiring harness from Technicpnp website (~$65) to make it simple to connect secondary amp to Harman Kardon amp without cutting/splicing.

Johung
First thank you for your suggestions. I have seen chime on multiple posts with great feedback.
So you brought the following:
AudioControl ACM 2.3000 L0C amplifier with 150w/ channel into 2 ohms
2 Earthquake R8SWS installation rings
2 Earthquake SWS-8Xi
Technicip wiring harness

I have 2015 F36 with the stock system
Forgive me if I sound dumb (haven't messed with a cars sound system in 30 years)

With the above items, do you happen to have step by step instructions?
All I can find is bimmertech installs
Any other misc items needed? (Wire connectors, fuse blocks)
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2024, 01:06 AM   #716
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVY435IGC View Post
Johung
First thank you for your suggestions. I have seen chime on multiple posts with great feedback.
So you brought the following:
AudioControl ACM 2.3000 L0C amplifier with 150w/ channel into 2 ohms
2 Earthquake R8SWS installation rings
2 Earthquake SWS-8Xi
Technicip wiring harness

I have 2015 F36 with the stock system
Forgive me if I sound dumb (haven't messed with a cars sound system in 30 years)

With the above items, do you happen to have step by step instructions?
All I can find is bimmertech installs
Any other misc items needed? (Wire connectors, fuse blocks)
Thank you
Yes, those are the items that I used to upgrade the bass sound on my Harman Kardon system.

When you say that you have the “stock system”, I see that you are in the US so your car would have either the BMW HiFi audio system or the Harman Kardon system. The quickest way to tell is that the HiFi system only has a single midrange speaker in the rear door. But the HK rear door has a midrange and a tweeter.

If you have the HiFi system I would recommend a different upgrade path. It would still include the same Earthquake subs and spacer rings but not the AudioControl amp or Technicpnp harness. Instead I would substitute a Match 7BMW amplifier to replace the BMW amplifier under the left alcove in the trunk.

Which BMW audio system do you have?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2024, 03:44 AM   #717
NealfromNZ
Captain
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Did you catch on the price of these . $1300 each. Same price as Focal 8WM which looks like it would fit quite well. Saw an M5 thread using the Focal where they enlarged the under enclosure size to make it an IB to increase output.
If you have deep pockets have a look. More SQ orientated.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2024, 08:32 AM   #718
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealfromNZ View Post
Did you catch on the price of these . $1300 each.
I wouldn't say more money than brains, but absolutely more money than knowledge. This is the most expensive driver that I recommend for use in my pro-touring concert sound designs: https://www.parts-express.com/LaVoce...723?quantity=1
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2024, 09:27 AM   #719
LIVY435IGC
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, those are the items that I used to upgrade the bass sound on my Harman Kardon system.

When you say that you have the “stock system”, I see that you are in the US so your car would have either the BMW HiFi audio system or the Harman Kardon system. The quickest way to tell is that the HiFi system only has a single midrange speaker in the rear door. But the HK rear door has a midrange and a tweeter.

If you have the HiFi system I would recommend a different upgrade path. It would still include the same Earthquake subs and spacer rings but not the AudioControl amp or Technicpnp harness. Instead I would substitute a Match 7BMW amplifier to replace the BMW amplifier under the left alcove in the trunk.

Which BMW audio system do you have?
Thank you for your input!

I just checked and i have the hifi system. Single midrange in the rear
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2024, 10:58 AM   #720
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you for your input!

I just checked and i have the hifi system. Single midrange in the rear
So you could do the bass upgrade with the AudioControl amp and rest of the parts. The last time that I priced out all of the bits it may have totaled $850?

But having the HiFi system gives you the opportunity to do an upgrade that should sound way better than if your car had the Harman Kardon system.

The Audiotec Fischer Match 7BMW is a plug and play amplifier replacement upgrade designed for the BMW HiFi system. The installation is actually easier than installing the AudiControl setup. There’s a video that shows how to do it. It’s literally unplug the stock amplifier and plug in the Match 7BMW.

The Match 7BMW amplifier is like having two separate amplifiers in one chassis. The primary amplifier powers the speakers in the doors and on the dashboard with more power, just the right amount of power that they need. The other internal amplifier sends much higher power to the two underseat Earthquake SWS-8Xi subwoofers. From a power standpoint, it’s almost identical to the AudioControl amplifier.

Now here is what makes the Match 7BMW better than a Harman Kardon. HK designed the system for BMW about 12 years ago with a DSP system that is totally ancient now. Think about the mobile phone that you were using 12 years ago compared to today. The Match 7BMW has a newer modern DSP system that tailors the sound inside your car to make your speakers sound amazing, especially with the Earthquakes.

The Earthquake installation is incredibly easy. Four big bolts hold the seat rails to the floor. Remove them and just tilt the seat backwards. Remove the faceplate on the floor, then remove the stock subwoofer under it. It’s all just removing simple fasteners. Place the spacer ring and install the Earthquake into the spacer. Use included fasteners to hold them in place.

The BMW wiring has a rectangular connector with two wires going to it. Snip the wires about 1-2 inches from the connector. Store the connector with the stock subwoofer in case you ever wish to reinstall. Strip the ends of the two wires in the car and insert them into the spring terminals located on the spacer ring.

Reinstall the floor faceplate over the Earthquake. Tilt the seat forward and reinstall the four large bolts. Repeat the procedure with the other front seat.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2024, 12:36 PM   #721
LIVY435IGC
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So you could do the bass upgrade with the AudioControl amp and rest of the parts. The last time that I priced out all of the bits it may have totaled $850?

But having the HiFi system gives you the opportunity to do an upgrade that should sound way better than if your car had the Harman Kardon system.

The Audiotec Fischer Match 7BMW is a plug and play amplifier replacement upgrade designed for the BMW HiFi system. The installation is actually easier than installing the AudiControl setup. There’s a video that shows how to do it. It’s literally unplug the stock amplifier and plug in the Match 7BMW.

The Match 7BMW amplifier is like having two separate amplifiers in one chassis. The primary amplifier powers the speakers in the doors and on the dashboard with more power, just the right amount of power that they need. The other internal amplifier sends much higher power to the two underseat Earthquake SWS-8Xi subwoofers. From a power standpoint, it’s almost identical to the AudioControl amplifier.

Now here is what makes the Match 7BMW better than a Harman Kardon. HK designed the system for BMW about 12 years ago with a DSP system that is totally ancient now. Think about the mobile phone that you were using 12 years ago compared to today. The Match 7BMW has a newer modern DSP system that tailors the sound inside your car to make your speakers sound amazing, especially with the Earthquakes.

The Earthquake installation is incredibly easy. Four big bolts hold the seat rails to the floor. Remove them and just tilt the seat backwards. Remove the faceplate on the floor, then remove the stock subwoofer under it. It’s all just removing simple fasteners. Place the spacer ring and install the Earthquake into the spacer. Use included fasteners to hold them in place.

The BMW wiring has a rectangular connector with two wires going to it. Snip the wires about 1-2 inches from the connector. Store the connector with the stock subwoofer in case you ever wish to reinstall. Strip the ends of the two wires in the car and insert them into the spring terminals located on the spacer ring.

Reinstall the floor faceplate over the Earthquake. Tilt the seat forward and reinstall the four large bolts. Repeat the procedure with the other front seat.

Thank you!
So sounds the like the Match7BMW and Earthquake are the best options
I called Crutchfield and they do not carry the 7BMW
They recommended the Match up 8DSP and splicing some wires
Is the 7 discountied?
What are your thoughts on next steps?
Appreciate your help!!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2024, 02:02 PM   #722
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you!
Is the 7 discountied?
Appreciate your help!!
I would continue searching for a Match 7BMW. You want to avoid splicing if at all possible. There is also a 7DSP- you want the 7BMW.

I just emailed Audiotec Fischer in Germany asking if they have a cable kit to essentially convert a 7DSP or 8DSP to the plug and play installation of a 7BMW.

They sell many cables so it wouldn’t be surprising if they make a cable with this function.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2024, 02:10 PM   #723
LIVY435IGC
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I would continue searching for a Match 7BMW. You want to avoid splicing if at all possible. There is also a 7DSP- you want the 7BMW.

I just emailed Audiotec Fischer in Germany asking if they have a cable kit to essentially convert a 7DSP or 8DSP to the plug and play installation of a 7BMW.

They sell many cables so it wouldn’t be surprising if they make a cable with this function.
Thank you!
I called the Canada branch of Audio tec
They said that the match7bmw has been discontinued.
It has been replaced with the Matchup8DSP and the Matchup8BMW
He made it seem that the Matchup8bmw came with the wiring harness.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2024, 02:14 PM   #724
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you!
I called the Canada branch of Audio tec
They said that the match7bmw has been discontinued.
It has been replaced with the Matchup8DSP and the Matchup8BMW
He made it seem that the Matchup8bmw came with the wiring harness.
That makes sense. I’ve just never seen the 8BMW. The number is the number of channels. So it just gives you an extra channel.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2024, 02:19 PM   #725
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you!
Is the 7 discountied?
Appreciate your help!!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/23362374147...mis&media=COPY
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2024, 03:20 PM   #726
LIVY435IGC
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That makes sense. I’ve just never seen the 8BMW. The number is the number of channels. So it just gives you an extra channel.
Thank you.
Waiting on to see if the wire harness fits my car
Worst case, I could use the Match8DSP. But would need the harness from technicpnp right?
Appreciate 0