F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Pah, who needs runflats when you can have a blow out this spectacular..
Extreme Powerhouse

05-23-2016, 04:51 AM   #67
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Wow Terry, that is some tyre destruction.

Just a question, how far did you drive on a flat tyre? I think the MPSS have a very soft sidewall, and if fully deflated the rim will actually cut the carcass off very quickly. Which is what looks to have happened???
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 05:01 AM   #68
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN
Wow Terry, that is some tyre destruction.

Just a question, how far did you drive on a flat tyre? I think the MPSS have a very soft sidewall, and if fully deflated the rim will actually cut the carcass off very quickly. Which is what looks to have happened???
I probably had to drive a couple hundred yards to find a safe-ish spot to stop, so sounds reasonable.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 05:28 AM   #69
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
I probably had to drive a couple hundred yards to find a safe-ish spot to stop, so sounds reasonable.
Yes, not easy to pull over safely at speed when suddenly confronted with the TPMS blaring away.
I am certain the damage you see is secondary to the primary failure, which was probably a bad puncture, causing the rapid deflation.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 07:31 AM   #70
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Mark, you're handing your car back soon aren't you? If it helps I have a pair of rear Pirelli Run Flats with about 4-4.5mm tread left on them.
Thanks Gordon - I wanted to get it fixed today so Kwik-Fit are getting a tyre in for this afternoon. Tyre insurance is paying.

If I have another incident I'll let you know!
      05-23-2016, 07:45 AM   #71
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG335 View Post
Thanks Gordon - I wanted to get it fixed today so Kwik-Fit are getting a tyre in for this afternoon. Tyre insurance is paying.

If I have another incident I'll let you know!
Kwik fit? You Sir are a very brave man.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 08:00 AM   #72
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
You can tell he's getting shot of it soon.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 08:01 AM   #73
LordNathanD
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 Dravit Grey M340d Touring

bloody hell! As said, that could have been so much worse! good to see all is okay and no additional damage!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 10:36 AM   #74
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99
Quote:
You can tell he's getting shot of it soon.
I know!

Sat in reception now, tyre not arrived yet but he's done the report for the insurance company and gave them the wrong price!

I'll be getting a Bridgestone Potenza RFT for £185!!

What a fool.
      05-23-2016, 11:14 AM   #75
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, not easy to pull over safely at speed when suddenly confronted with the TPMS blaring away.
I am certain the damage you see is secondary to the primary failure, which was probably a bad puncture, causing the rapid deflation.
So the one thing I never mentioned so far is that the TPMS system gave no warning whatsoever.... Not in advance and not even after is clearly lost the tyre completely!

Is that not very very strange?! :
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 11:28 AM   #76
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity
Quote:
Quote:
So the one thing I never mentioned so far is that the TPMS system gave no warning whatsoever.... Not in advance and not even after is clearly lost the tyre completely!

I thought your car was too old to have TPMS, doesn't it have RPA (flat tyre monitor)?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 11:34 AM   #77
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I thought your car was too old to have TPMS, doesn't it have RPA (flat tyre monitor)?
Indeed, no idea what the acronyms mean and which one is which! I have the older system which uses the abs sensors to determine differences in tyre pressure, rather than the actual pressure reading.

Either way, it didn't tell me anything.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 01:39 PM   #78
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Indeed, no idea what the acronyms mean and which one is which! I have the older system which uses the abs sensors to determine differences in tyre pressure, rather than the actual pressure reading.

RPA does take a few miles to announce anything, so wouldn't of had a chance in your case.

I once let some air out of my 330d's tyres (fitters put wrong pressures in) and I forgot to reset the tyre check system, it didn't bong at me until a couple of miles down the road.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 01:42 PM   #79
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

RPA does take a few miles to announce anything, so wouldn't of had a chance in your case.

I once let some air out of my 330d's tyres (fitters put wrong pressures in) and I forgot to reset the tyre check system, it didn't bong at me until a couple of miles down the road.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 02:03 PM   #80
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Might have been because the air let out was marginal. Mine bonged within meters when I had a puncture.

I never understand when the older style tpms system is active. I think it shows a red tick on the icon, but I'm sure when you switch off and go back into the screen the tick has gone.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 02:22 PM   #81
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Might have been because the air let out was marginal. Mine bonged within meters when I had a puncture.

I never understand when the older style tpms system is active. I think it shows a red tick on the icon, but I'm sure when you switch off and go back into the screen the tick has gone.
Dunno that the new system is much better though, I had one of my winter wheels on my 335d, which don't have TPMS sensors, and I drove quite a few miles and it never at any point told me there was a problem with one of the wheels!
Appreciate 0