F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > 10.25" Android 9.0 HU discussion
proTUNING Freaks

10-26-2019, 03:35 PM   #881
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep
Drives: E87

Quote:
Originally Posted by marakeh View Post

is this version only for the snapdragon or also compatible with the rockchip?
Only for Snapdragon, OTAs for the 625 have always version numbering.
Rockchip HU`s don`t have they only have a date when they where created.

Honestly i don`t think there will come alot of updates for Android 9 Rockchip anymore, they where available after it was possible to buy Snapdragon HU`s
i think they just updated them to Android 9 to clean their stock.

I only can recommend to sell the Rockchip Android 9 unit as long as you get some money out of it and buy a Snapdragon HU.

Kri
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 03:45 PM   #882
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep
Drives: E87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mootu View Post
Hi I am back, I now installed everything and it was the fuse that broke. Now everything works.

But I have some questions. I have bought one on Aliexpress. All is fine but I see some differences in the Software. So at some descriptions I saw that people can choose apps to start when pressing a physically button on the BMW. Right now I only can choose the app for the navigation system.
I don't have any option to choose other apps for other things.
Futhermore, I can't choose anything regarding the physical buttons of my BMW. Right now it only changes to google mapps on Android when I press the "navi" button.
I am wondering if there are different software versions and whether these can be flashed or exchanged. The whole hardware looks the same so why not changing the operating system/skin?

I also can't find Netflix in the play store. I tried Netflix sideload from netflix. But it says that the device is not supported. Any solutions here?

Youtube is only showing 480p videos and I can't change it. Anyone a solution?

When I start my car it always asks for my SIM pin. Can I somehow change it so it always remember my pin? I don't want to put it again after every start of the car. I don't care about the data usage. I have unlimited data in Europe and USA. So I want this as a permanent hotspot.

I am sorry for my questions. I am normally an iPhone guy so I don't have a clue about Android yet.

Thanks!
From stock you are only able to change Navigation App as long as its also described at the factory_config.xml
Its new since 3.0.8 to change also the Music app.

Idrive controls do sometimes behave the opposite function that has been set at the Android HU.
This is mostly an issue of the MCU beeing configured wrong or is too old, you need to ask your seller for an update.

If you think your update may fit your unit you can try it out , but beware, if you contact your seller they mostly want to have an screenshot of your Systeminfo screen, so when they see that you have updated from somewhere else they may decline any further support !
best ist to make a picture of the Systeminfo Screen before updating

Unfortunateley Netflix is not working on these Snapdragon devices at the moment

for the Sim PIN just disable it at the Sim card (insert it into a normal phone to do so)

Kri
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 04:23 PM   #883
Soprono
Rep
Drives: BMW M135 F20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soprono View Post
Bumping into a small issue and wondering if anyone has seen the same before? Iv completed my installation (I think) and had to connect the AUX port to the unit.

I then also bought the USB device for Android Auto which Iv connected to the unit, phone plugs into it and all is great working like a charm. An issue today came up where by it would play audio for around 2 seconds long and then stop. If I hit the "Google Assistant" button on the Android Auto it will play music for another few seconds and then mute completely again?

1. Aux Connected
2. Song continues to play it doesnt just pause, its just muted and not outputting to the speaker
3. Android System volume is on max

Very confusing, frustrating issue...
Just in response to the above message if anyone has a similar issue:

"Support (AVINUSA.com)

It seems to a bug with only the Spotify app.

We are looking into it.

Try disable the Bluetooth sometime that helps"
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 05:11 PM   #884
rpc180
Rep
Drives: 128i

Got to play a bunch with my installation today and the screen is gorgeous! if I'm honest, it might even be bordering on a little too big as on my 1-series it sits 100% on top of the dash instead of nested in it. So its definitely like a movie experience, my passenger loved it. However, I'm definitely tempted to use a bare launcher screen instead of the ID7/8 option (I only really use the Navigation shortcut and App Drawer!) so I tried Nova Launcher with mixed results...

In addition to 3rd party launchers not recognizing iDrive, I noticed that if you turn off the car with an alternate launcher defined - when you next start the car it will start on the idrive side. Also when this happens the aux recognition can (and 3 times out of 4) be lost by the android side and difficult to re-establish. Anyone get around these issues? Otherwise replacing the launcher is kind of a showstopper for me at least.

Barring a launcher replacement - anyone know if its possible to re-arrange the order that apps appear in the app drawer of the ID7 launcher? It seems like it arranges them in order installed.

Last edited by rpc180; 10-26-2019 at 05:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 04:48 AM   #885
floc
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
2017 F87 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly1337 View Post
Alright, I finished my Layoutchanger.[...]
Nice! I took an even more radical approach and just installed Nova the first day I used the headunit... That's why the iDrive controller will be a very appreciated upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kri View Post

* Changeable MUSIC APP
Is spotify supported?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 08:37 AM   #886
rpc180
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floc View Post
Nice! I took an even more radical approach and just installed Nova the first day I used the headunit... That's why the iDrive controller will be a very appreciated upgrade
With nova installed does the unit automatically switch to it when you start the car? When I had nova set as the home app its starting on the idrive side and I have to manually switch :\
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 09:02 AM   #887
Firefly1337
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F20 M135i LCI

Well, I have some good news and some bad news.
The iDrive listener app is working, at least with hardcoded values. I could control any app using the iDrive Controller.

The bad news: I got too cocky while trying to fix something and now my unit is not booting anymore, aka bootloop.
Any idea how to fix this?
There are some recovery-guides available but all of them seem to be for PX6, not Snapdragon.
I will try a few things and if it doesn't work I will have to get my soldering iron and open it up... :/
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 09:37 AM   #888
Pro-Owner
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 318d

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpc180 View Post
Got to play a bunch with my installation today and the screen is gorgeous! if I'm honest, it might even be bordering on a little too big as on my 1-series it sits 100% on top of the dash instead of nested in it. So its definitely like a movie experience, my passenger loved it. However, I'm definitely tempted to use a bare launcher screen instead of the ID7/8 option (I only really use the Navigation shortcut and App Drawer!) so I tried Nova Launcher with mixed results...

In addition to 3rd party launchers not recognizing iDrive, I noticed that if you turn off the car with an alternate launcher defined - when you next start the car it will start on the idrive side. Also when this happens the aux recognition can (and 3 times out of 4) be lost by the android side and difficult to re-establish. Anyone get around these issues? Otherwise replacing the launcher is kind of a showstopper for me at least.

Barring a launcher replacement - anyone know if its possible to re-arrange the order that apps appear in the app drawer of the ID7 launcher? It seems like it arranges them in order installed.
I got carguru launcher and i'm afraid it's the same issue. I think the original launcher is sending canbus signals to the idrive in order to set the "media" to aux or something else. I'm a developer but have no clue on how to analyse the apk to see if this is true or not. I currently am trying to fix a bunch of other stuff as well so it's not a priority a.t.m. When i'm done with my list and nobody has investigated this yet i might give it a shot. For now it's just a "Yeah me too" kind of post
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 09:41 AM   #889
Pro-Owner
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 318d

Quote:
The iDrive listener app is working, at least with hardcoded values. I could control any app using the iDrive Controller.

The bad news: I got too cocky while trying to fix something and now my unit is not booting anymore, aka bootloop.
There are some recovery-guides available but all of them seem to be for PX6, not Snapdragon.
I will try a few things and if it doesn't work I will have to get my soldering iron and open it up... :/

check this especially the 2nd page, has a chinese video which shows how to enter recovery mode, although it might be a completely different version. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 10:12 AM   #890
floc
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2017 F87 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpc180 View Post
With nova installed does the unit automatically switch to it when you start the car? When I had nova set as the home app its starting on the idrive side and I have to manually switch :\
nova launcher pro set as default home launcher, works flawlessy as default home app on 2.3.8 rom. No nned to manually seletc it at startup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Owner View Post
I got carguru launcher and i'm afraid it's the same issue. I think the original launcher is sending canbus signals to the idrive in order to set the "media" to aux or something else. I'm a developer but have no clue on how to analyse the apk to see if this is true or not. I currently am trying to fix a bunch of other stuff as well so it's not a priority a.t.m. When i'm done with my list and nobody has investigated this yet i might give it a shot. For now it's just a "Yeah me too" kind of post
Same problem for me. I did a workaround with tasker, launching the original media app (wits.kws.media) at startup and then switch back to nova. This seems to correctly initialize the audio routing channel. Without this trick I have navigation instructions (left channel injection) not working at all or making echoes, depending on which amplifier I select in factory settings. My supplier is still investigating this, but I think he'll respond with a "sorry optional launcher are not supported" or something like that.

Quote:
oh, very sorry to read that. I don't know if it can be useful, but maybe you can give a shot on this:

Quote:
Also, useful hints to force wipe:

Change the software name to: Ksw-P-Userdebug_OS_v-ota-reset-data_factory.zip.
1. Change the name of the USB flash drive to: _kswota_
2. Copy the software to a USB flash drive.
3. Connect this USB flash drive to the Android unit.
4. Restart the unit, it will automatically force the upgrade.
After the forced upgrade is completed, then upgrade the OEM, copy it into the USB flash drive and upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 10:25 AM   #891
rpc180
Rep

Quote:
nova launcher pro set as default home launcher, works flawlessy as default home app on 2.3.8 rom. No nned to manually seletc it at startup.

Same problem for me. I did a workaround with tasker, launching the original media app (wits.kws.media) at startup and then switch back to nova. This seems to correctly initialize the audio routing channel. Without this trick I have navigation instructions (left channel injection) not working at all or making echoes, depending on which amplifier I select in factory settings. My supplier is still investigating this, but I think he'll respond with a "sorry optional launcher are not supported" or something like that.
Interesting - I think I read in another post that one of the default media applications needs to be executed in the current session (car started) in order for the HU to start the next session in Android mode. When I was playing with nova I just switched the home app to it, started up pandora, waze, and then powered down. I never launched a stock media app (no local media, just everything streamed) so maybe that's why it defaulted to iDrive on next startup. I'll test that theory today and I guess that might push me to root to get tasker.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 10:52 AM   #892
floc
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2017 F87 M2  [0.00]
You don't need root to use tasker for this
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 10:59 AM   #893
koutsouk
Private First Class
Greece
Rep
Drives: BMW E60

Quote:

Sorry to hear about bootloop !!
But you will solve it !

Will you publish the idrive app ???
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 11:14 PM   #894
QUiKSR20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 328i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by koutsouk View Post
Sorry to hear about bootloop !!
But you will solve it !

Will you publish the idrive app ???
This sounds very promising, If once the bootloop is fixed we can do everything with iDrive that would be awesome.. Esp if one can figure out Carplay on Snapdragon. Very exciting none the less and congrats on your achievement..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 01:32 AM   #895
kcsmithcyril
Enlisted Member
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Quote:
For me i had to remove VO 6FL and 6NF to get the HU to switch to the front AUX of the HU again which is connected to the Android unit.
But you then loose some Combox Functionallity and the ability to use the car`s USB port at the center console

good question, seems like there is the stock "documents" app missing.
I was able to access an NTFS Stick with using ES File explorer.

Chri
Just tried, i can open the 4K video file from ES File Explorer too, cannot open from the HD Video player on the home screen.

Can you elaborate more on stock "documents" app missing ? so sorry i'm new to andriod world. i just wondering is it possible to solve it ? i try to contact the seller but no feedback yet.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 03:38 AM   #896
Ericokta
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW f20 LCI

Quote:
Thank you Mirjam for sharing the latest Version

So New version is 3.0.8, i reuploaded it to wetransfer you can download it HERE for the next couple days.

But be warned this seems to be a Beta version, alot of internal changes have been made and not fully implemented yet.

What i found out so far

* Changeable MUSIC APP
* Aux in Position Selection, when "Other" AUX is selected, no function at CIC ?
* Text Updates to a lot of languages, german update just wrong
* change BOOTLOGO Support is coming back, the one which is before the bootanimation, not completely implemented
* new SevenColor Dashboard, now with distance left display, (wtf why 330km/h (205mp/h )
* Heavy internal update to GS UI, seems to be programmed for AVINUSA
* AHD Camera Support ?
* Better Support for 1920*720 Displays ?
* km / milage change option at source code - no function yet.
* Phone Button Behaviour has been changed

So far it seems they are working hard on updating the System again.
Changing the Music button is very cool, now you can select your Favorite Music app !
There is just one note, with ID5 ID6 and GS UI, you completley loose functionality of internal Music player.
With ID7 you can have both, while the Large music button stays the old one, the small Music Button at the top left corner only will be changed to your desired music app !.

The AHD and 7Dashboard requires new lines at factory_config.xml, so i added an updated here.

Bootscreen selection is also coming back, the function is not working at the GUI at the moment, but when moving a correct "splash.img" to the oem folder it will be updated.
At the moment no own images can be made as the .img file format is very special and has not been reverse engineered yet.

There was also an MCU Update with this package for E Series CIC, i updated it (had update from 245 before) , but did not see any difference in behaviour.

As always Update at your own risk !

Chri
Downloaded and tried
The GPS navi voice no longer able to switch even i start the default music player. Its keeps coming out of the little speaker the provide.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 03:41 AM   #897
floc
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2017 F87 M2  [0.00]
which little speaker?

My supplier just sent me 3.0.8 to solve my audio switching issue (I have no voice from navi until I start original app)
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 04:39 AM   #898
Mjam
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E87, i3, Taycan Cross Turismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericokta View Post
Downloaded and tried
The GPS navi voice no longer able to switch even i start the default music player. Its keeps coming out of the little speaker the provide.
You must also update MCU for this app version 3.0.8. The latest is 1054 for both CIC and CCC.

Last edited by Mjam; 10-29-2019 at 05:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 05:48 AM   #899
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E63 645Ci

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Guys I would like to pick your brains on something. You all know how you can see your text messages in original iDrive via office. Is there something similar for Android HU?

All I could find was these apps that sync/clone your messages across multiple devices (like mysms) but these require installation on both devices - phone and head unit - and you have to change your default messaging app to that, plus work only through cloud. I don't want to change my default texting app, I would rather just sync messages list (as iDrive does) and display notification when a new message arrives. I'm not Android developer (I have experience with Arduino projects), but I've been checking Android Studio documentation and example codes and couldn't find anything helpful. There used to be the Tablet Talk app years ago that allowed you to sync messages over bluetooth or wifi.

To my understanding these days if you want to managed text messages on a phone you have to have permission that are only granted to a default messaging app. However all I want is a request from head unit app to pull all the data from my phone over bluetooth, don't care about reply function, just want to see if message that just arrived is important and I need to do something about that or can I simply ignore it for now.

Does any of you Android developers could shine some light on this?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 06:04 AM   #900
copeal
Enlisted Member
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW 530I E60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirjam View Post
You must also update MCU for this app version 3.0.8. The latest is 1054 for both CIC and CCC.
I required to my seller MCU update for my Snapdragon but they sent me OTA update. I installed 3.0.8 with my MCU old but i don't have important changes.

Best regards,
Appreciate 1
floc73.50
      10-29-2019, 06:34 AM   #901
floc
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2017 F87 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by copeal View Post
I required to my seller MCU update for my Snapdragon but they sent me OTA update. I installed 3.0.8 with my MCU old but i don't have important changes.

Best regards,
thank you, I was just asking myself about the opportunity to upgrate my snapdragon hu without an updated mcu.

Did you noticed any change in navigation sound behaviour? (like switching audio channel or something)
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 06:49 AM   #902
Stainy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435d Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedErik View Post
Guys I would like to pick your brains on something. You all know how you can see your text messages in original iDrive via office. Is there something similar for Android HU?

All I could find was these apps that sync/clone your messages across multiple devices (like mysms) but these require installation on both devices - phone and head unit - and you have to change your default messaging app to that, plus work only through cloud. I don't want to change my default texting app, I would rather just sync messages list (as iDrive does) and display notification when a new message arrives. I'm not Android developer (I have experience with Arduino projects), but I've been checking Android Studio documentation and example codes and couldn't find anything helpful. There used to be the Tablet Talk app years ago that allowed you to sync messages over bluetooth or wifi.

To my understanding these days if you want to managed text messages on a phone you have to have permission that are only granted to a default messaging app. However all I want is a request from head unit app to pull all the data from my phone over bluetooth, don't care about reply function, just want to see if message that just arrived is important and I need to do something about that or can I simply ignore it for now.

Does any of you Android developers could shine some light on this?
Doesn't Android Auto do this? (I don't get many text messages - but it handles WhatsApp and Messenger for me). It's one of the reasons I bought Headunit Reloaded Apk
Appreciate 0