F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 340i / 440i (B58) BMW M Performance Power and Sound Kit (MPPSK) Official Release
proTUNING Freaks

01-18-2020, 06:55 AM   #1013
damascus
gear head
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 6M Interlagos Blue

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNMNL52 View Post
Thanks; I am glad you came up on the net. I read your original quote and it concerned me which prompted my post above. I did not want any regrets if I went forward because as you know once installed there is no turning back. I am glad to hear all is well now and also encouraging. BTW I see that you are in DC area. Which area dealership did your MPPSK install?
shoot me a PM and we can connect. i'm happy to meet you.. take my car for a spin and hear it in real life!
      01-20-2020, 08:52 AM   #1014
kpgray
GasCompressor
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche 911 Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by damascus View Post
my post is #989 here... regret the system. yes. and now no. when i first pulled away from the BMW dealership after installation, i thought "oh no, WTF have i done? i've ruined my car!". i called the shop and told them to stow my OEM system away in case i needed to reverse everything. this was my immediate reaction and a few days following.

i gave it some time and now have no regrets. i realized the initial shock wears off quick (the car is SO quiet in stock form that even the 'normal' mode sounds loud). now, for me, the normal mode sounds PERFECT! i am aware of the exhaust sounds and it is a perfect blend of sportiness and performance. when i feel like getting into it (almost always alone - no wife), the sport mode is awesome for limited spirited drives. run it up near red line and then back off quick - you'll be rewarded with the machine gun pops you've read about. it's nuts!

all this said, if you pull the trigger, give it a few weeks to adjust to the initial sound change. after that, you'll be happy.
I just replaced my 2014 335i MPPK & MPE with a 2019 440i Coupe. Wife hated my 335i the day I installed the MPE (I loved it). Her reason was that the morning start was way too loud although no complaints after startup. Is this MPPSK the same startup loudness? If so, can it be programmed for the initial start to be quieter?

2022 Porsche 911 Cabriolet Agate Grey/Black PDK
2019 440i M-Sport Smoke Topaz Metallic/Opel (Sold)
2014 335i M-Sport Black/Beige MPPK/MPE (Totaled)
2013 328i Sport xDrive Imperial Blue/Grey (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 08:55 AM   #1015
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpgray View Post
Quote:
my post is #989 here... regret the system. yes. and now no. when i first pulled away from the BMW dealership after installation, i thought "oh no, WTF have i done? i've ruined my car!". i called the shop and told them to stow my OEM system away in case i needed to reverse everything. this was my immediate reaction and a few days following.

i gave it some time and now have no regrets. i realized the initial shock wears off quick (the car is SO quiet in stock form that even the 'normal' mode sounds loud). now, for me, the normal mode sounds PERFECT! i am aware of the exhaust sounds and it is a perfect blend of sportiness and performance. when i feel like getting into it (almost always alone - no wife), the sport mode is awesome for limited spirited drives. run it up near red line and then back off quick - you'll be rewarded with the machine gun pops you've read about. it's nuts!

all this said, if you pull the trigger, give it a few weeks to adjust to the initial sound change. after that, you'll be happy.
I just replaced my 2014 335i MPPK & MPE with a 2019 440i Coupe. Wife hated my 335i the day I installed the MPE (I loved it). Her reason was that the morning start was way too loud although no complaints after startup. Is this MPPSK the same startup loudness? If so, can it be programmed for the initial start to be quieter?
The valves are closed at startup so no. It is only slightly louder than stock in comfort.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 09:22 AM   #1016
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

It is quite loud at startup! There is however a „manual" trick to make it silent - light press on the throttle during start up

In Comfort it is barely louder than stock, except for a pronounced resonance around 2000 rpm. But in general no problem at all for a comfortable ride.
In Sport it is a treat
      01-20-2020, 02:49 PM   #1017
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
It is quite loud at startup! There is however a "manual" trick to make it silent - light press on the throttle during start up

In Comfort it is barely louder than stock, except for a pronounced resonance around 2000 rpm. But in general no problem at all for a comfortable ride.
In Sport it is a treat
I have had the mppsk on my car for 6 weeks now and your description is right on point. They mirror my thoughts and my experience.
Appreciate 1
Skyhigh1978.00
      01-20-2020, 03:16 PM   #1018
Araemo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340iX 6MT

Quote:
It is quite loud at startup! There is however a „manual" trick to make it silent - light press on the throttle during start up

In Sport it is a treat
If you get an aftermarket tune you can turn off the 'cold start' mode where the wastegate is 100% open for cold start emissions (to heat the pre-cat faster). That's what causes cold start loudness in this car with any exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 06:14 AM   #1019
JNMNL52
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 440ix 2018 X5 35i

Quote:
shoot me a PM and we can connect. i'm happy to meet you.. take my car for a spin and hear it in real life!
Thanks for the PM's. I am getting closer to having MPPSK installed. A few more questions - Once installed did you have any subsequent issues (ie. vibrations/rattles) with the MPPSK that required you to return to the dealer for adjustment? When the ECU was coded did the dealer also add the M Performance logo to the instrument cluster and disabled the ASD? Did you apply the M Performance stickers to your 440ix? If so, could you please shoot me a pic? Thanks!!
      01-22-2020, 08:14 AM   #1020
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Unless the questions you are asking are adressed specifically to damascus:

Quote:
Once installed did you have any subsequent issues (ie. vibrations/rattles) with the MPPSK that required you to return to the dealer for adjustment?
No. There is just a normal resonance/vibration around 2000 RPM. This is normal and present in all MPPSK.

Quote:
When the ECU was coded did the dealer also add the M Performance logo to the instrument cluster and disabled the ASD?
No, they will not do either, as none of those actions are part of the BMW installation instructions for the MPPSK which they are obliged to follow (you can find them on the internet). Furthermore, the M-Performance logo is not possible on 6WB clusters.

Quote:
Did you apply the M Performance stickers to your 440ix?
No... a matter of taste. Not my cup of tee.
      01-23-2020, 12:02 AM   #1021
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I concur with SkyHigh. I have had no issues with my installation. Since it is covered by warranty for two years I think (?), if I were to develop any issues I would bring it in. There is a resonance at 2000 rpms as stated. I just move the stick left (my car is auto), and the higher revs keep it just above the resonance. Plus I admit, that on nice Louisiana winter days it is fun to drive with the windows down and hear the car burble a bit when slowing down. The dealer gave me the stickers to put on my car, but I declined. They are sitting in a folder in the house. There are two M Performance Stickers and an Engine Mount Sticker. All and all a good but expensive mod, that keeps me under warranty. For me that was important.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 07:17 PM   #1022
JNMNL52
Private
Rep

Thanks Cajun BMW and Skyhigh. I read a few posts regarding installment alignment issues causing vibrations and rattles. I guess if the system is still under warranty it is not a problem. I have no idea what the external M Performance stickers look like or how they are attached to the body of the car. i have not looked at a pic that shows them installed. Not sure what the BMW engineers had in mind. If adhesive, I would not want them to come off after a few car washes. Seems like most owners do not have them installed. Also trying to decide on CF vs chrome tips. I have a silver glacier color exterior with black shadowtrim and both styles would look good. I like the CF tips but outrageously expensive and short of aesthetics, there is no difference in performance that I can determine. Any suggestions there?
      01-23-2020, 08:10 PM   #1023
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

The M Performance side-skirt decals are basically stickers... they are strong enough not to come off easily, but I am personally not a fan of the show-off effect of decals in general. The one they put on the engine on the other hand looks very good, it is a thick and high-quality (sold for about €50 separately).

One aspect to consider when choosing tips is the safety of your environment. The CF ones are quite expensive as you know and it only takes literally about 5 sec for someone to take both off and leave with nearly €500 in the pocket. I was really shocked how lame they are attached and easy to remove. That goes for the chrome ones as well I guess, but they are not really something that has a resell value.

I did go with the CF ones after all, as I live in a safe environment and like the looks. They are a much more sophisticated way to show off with M Performance, than the decals
      01-23-2020, 08:14 PM   #1024
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Cajun BMW and Skyhigh. I read a few posts regarding installment alignment issues causing vibrations and rattles. I guess if the system is still under warranty it is not a problem. I have no idea what the external M Performance stickers look like or how they are attached to the body of the car. i have not looked at a pic that shows them installed. Not sure what the BMW engineers had in mind. If adhesive, I would not want them to come off after a few car washes. Seems like most owners do not have them installed. Also trying to decide on CF vs chrome tips. I have a silver glacier color exterior with black shadowtrim and both styles would look good. I like the CF tips but outrageously expensive and short of aesthetics, there is no difference in performance that I can determine. Any suggestions there?
There are two smallish stickers that are maybe 12" and say M performance. I guess you put them anywhere, but most pictures seem to show them below the back doors. I did not use them. There is one really small engine bay sticker - I said what the heck and put it on the engine cover.

We may have very similar cars. I have a glacial silver metallic shadow sport 340. So like you silver and black. I went with the silver tips - seemed like the right thing to do at the time. They standout fine and I am not disappointed. I do wonder if the carbon fiber tips would bring more continuity to the car. They would bring the original look back as my oem tips were black. I also think they look a little beefier, so at some point I might pull the trigger and buy the black ones. Ultimately I think both look fine.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 04:15 PM   #1025
JNMNL52
Private
Rep

Do you think the drone resonance around 2000 RPM could be lowered by coding ASD to off?
      01-25-2020, 02:19 AM   #1026
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

No.
It comes from the MPPSK exhaust.
I have coded the ASD off.
      01-25-2020, 06:57 AM   #1027
JNMNL52
Private
Rep

Quote:
No.
So with ASD on the drone is louder?
      01-25-2020, 07:10 AM   #1028
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

That would also be a no
The ASD just adds more sound within the cabin and corrupts the genuine one. Mainly at high RPMs. It does not really affect the 2000 RPM range in any noticeable way. The drone is a resonance from the MPPSK exhaust system.

If you are generally concerned about noise / sound, you should not go for the MPPSK! It's design goal, aside from a moderate engine tune, is to amplify and highlight the beautiful engine sound characteristics (the S in the abbreviation). A small price to pay for that is the added drone/light vibrations around 2000 RPM in comfort. Every symphony has its imperfections
      01-25-2020, 07:59 AM   #1029
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
No.
I don't think so, but I guess since I did not code on or off to test anything, this would be a guess. This is a physics thing and not a electronic sound thing. On my car the resonance is between say 1700/1800 and 1900/2000 rpms. By no means is it horrible. Honestly it is just there. The only way you sort of notice it is in sport mode when in normal auto mode (I have an automatic), the shift points are right in this 1800-2000 rpm range at least when driving slowly in city driving for the first 3-4 shifts. For me I just push the gear left and in sport drive the shift points are higher and you never sit in that 1800-2000 rpm point. You can go manual too. I have had many manuals in the past, so I enjoy manual, especially with no clutch. Heck I had an old Mustang 5.0 manual V8 and that car had a heavy clutch and it was a pain in the butt in bumper to bumper traffic. Maybe Skyhigh said or can comment. I don't think it is a problem and does not bug me, it is just something you will or might note.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 01:00 PM   #1030
damascus
gear head
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 6M Interlagos Blue

Garage List
Quote:
No.
Quote:
the bmw tech who installed my system was 100% certain the ASD is programmed OFF when the tune is loaded. he told me he was able to confirm that on his tool.

a few things on the dash - tablet display did change when the tune was loaded...the 'sport' display (HP/torque) now goes to 400/400 and i believe the comfort/sport display looks different. maybe because i have the 2VF adaptive M suspension?

vibration/rattle concerns are identified in post #5: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1424716

Sport mode (open valve - "straight pipes") = cabin drone at cruising speed. don't select sport when you're cruising on the highway at 2,000 RPMs. save it for those spirited bursts of madness.

Comfort mode = sweet sounds of performance tuned BMW in-line 6
      01-25-2020, 02:15 PM   #1031
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

I can confirm that ASD is NOT disabled / coded off by the MPPSK software. Separate instruction to do so is also not present in the installation manual. I coded my ASD off myself (was on).

Comfort/sport display does not change, only the power display (to increase the scale). (Also have adaptive suspension)
      01-25-2020, 02:29 PM   #1032
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I did no coding so I am no use with knowing about ASD. I can confirm that the sports dials did go to 400 and if you jump on the pedal and let her rip the hp and torque numbers match what one would expect. I guess I did not notice other sport things. I have the variable steering but not the adaptive suspension. I guess I can check. I have not heard any rattling but those are good posts. If you do sport and move the shifter over on the highway, the drone issue is gone, certainly comfort works well, I have tested both on our Louisiana highways. Glad you are enjoying the new system.

Edit: maybe the dials were always 400, but the numbers representing the top hp and torque go up after the tune.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 03:39 PM   #1033
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Quote:
No.
Quote:
the bmw tech who installed my system was 100% certain the ASD is programmed OFF when the tune is loaded. he told me he was able to confirm that on his tool.

a few things on the dash - tablet display did change when the tune was loaded...the 'sport' display (HP/torque) now goes to 400/400 and i believe the comfort/sport display looks different. maybe because i have the 2VF adaptive M suspension?

vibration/rattle concerns are identified in post #5: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1424716

Sport mode (open valve - "straight pipes") = cabin drone at cruising speed. don't select sport when you're cruising on the highway at 2,000 RPMs. save it for those spirited bursts of madness.

Comfort mode opens valves above 4 k rpm so you won't have drone but makes a nice sound when accelerating as it downshifts. Use S mode on the shifter for best results. Makes a crackle as valves open and close. You can shift manually as well to keep rpms higher if you feel it drones too much. Yesterday some kid was looking at me aggressively from his side view mirror. He was driving a Kia Optima with paper plates so it was new. Not sure what his problem was but when he was in the next lane he revved his motor and came along side me in traffic as there was a car in front of me. When the lane opened up I hit the gas with it in sport plus and M1. Exhaust let off some pops and gunshots as I past him and pulled alongside the car in front of him but didn't keep going as the pops and bangs occur while lifting off the accelerator but staying in low gear. That was awesome as obviously his stock Kia exhaust wasn't doing that no matter how much he revs lol. He drove away with his tail between his legs
Appreciate 1
Beek705.50
      01-27-2020, 06:32 PM   #1034
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
No.
Quote:

Comfort mode opens valves above 4 k rpm so you won't have drone but makes a nice sound when accelerating as it downshifts. Use S mode on the shifter for best results. Makes a crackle as valves open and close. You can shift manually as well to keep rpms higher if you feel it drones too much. Yesterday some kid was looking at me aggressively from his side view mirror. He was driving a Kia Optima with paper plates so it was new. Not sure what his problem was but when he was in the next lane he revved his motor and came along side me in traffic as there was a car in front of me. When the lane opened up I hit the gas with it in sport plus and M1. Exhaust let off some pops and gunshots as I past him and pulled alongside the car in front of him but didn't keep going as the pops and bangs occur while lifting off the accelerator but staying in low gear. That was awesome as obviously his stock Kia exhaust wasn't doing that no matter how much he revs lol. He drove away with his tail between his legs
Great story!
Appreciate 1
bimmer4563044.00