F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Possibly rejecting a car
GetBMWParts

01-24-2020, 01:45 PM   #89
Ashway
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RR Vogue Westminster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
To update on my own thoughts. As I said, I'd give myself until last Sunday to decide what to do. Even a couple of days before that, I had decided that there was nothing else out there that would adequately replace the Disco, apart from another identical Disco (or maybe a FFRR but that's not the family wheels thing). If I had, say, a X5 I would just be looking longingly at every Disco I saw. Not that the X5 is a bad car, it's a brilliant one, just not the one for me right now.

Had a decent conversation with the supplying dealer's head of customer service - rejection is extended in law by the time under repair at any dealer...so my car has plenty of time left to prove itself. Plus JLR and the dealer are usually supportive of rejection up to 12 months, even on a different fault. We talked in detail about how rejection would work. Then plenty of talk of goodwill options, which we will only discuss and agree once my car is back, ie once the full level of inconvenience is known.

Meanwhile, 900 miles covered so far in the SD4. The engine is not growing on me, but it's a comfy enough place for the daily grind. At least once up to cruising speed.

Not sure what your budget is or your requirements for the car itself but I've got a total of 15640 off my car. If id been a JLR owner already I could have had another £2k loyalty bonus, worth considering in your position.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2020, 01:49 PM   #90
Ashway
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
What a deal! Looking forward to the pick up thread and pictures
Pick up will be low key, I've asked them just to do the mechanical PDI , not wash or valet it or remove any of the wrapping. I'm taking it straight to DDB valeting in Newcastle for a Gtechniq Crystal serum ultra ceramic treatment. Pics will follow after that
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2020, 02:15 PM   #91
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
To update on my own thoughts. As I said, I'd give myself until last Sunday to decide what to do. Even a couple of days before that, I had decided that there was nothing else out there that would adequately replace the Disco, apart from another identical Disco (or maybe a FFRR but that's not the family wheels thing). If I had, say, a X5 I would just be looking longingly at every Disco I saw. Not that the X5 is a bad car, it's a brilliant one, just not the one for me right now.

Had a decent conversation with the supplying dealer's head of customer service - rejection is extended in law by the time under repair at any dealer...so my car has plenty of time left to prove itself. Plus JLR and the dealer are usually supportive of rejection up to 12 months, even on a different fault. We talked in detail about how rejection would work. Then plenty of talk of goodwill options, which we will only discuss and agree once my car is back, ie once the full level of inconvenience is known.

Meanwhile, 900 miles covered so far in the SD4. The engine is not growing on me, but it's a comfy enough place for the daily grind. At least once up to cruising speed.
Porsche Cayenne....just saying, although if they are giving 16k off the FFRR Westminster @85k RRP plus another 2k loyalty then that has to be an option at 67k net plus perhaps some "goodwill"

BMW level discounts.....who knew.
      01-24-2020, 02:38 PM   #92
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashway View Post
Quote:

Not sure what your budget is or your requirements for the car itself but I've got a total of 15640 off my car. If id been a JLR owner already I could have had another £2k loyalty bonus, worth considering in your position.
It's crossed my mind! I don't imagine there would be much budget difference, I secured around £12-13k off my D5 against a list of about £78k iirc. I'm sure the FFRR would have a better GFV to offset some of the list difference.

7 seat was a criteria, although less of a necessity now due to less family visitors it will still be useful occasionally. That aside, I'd probably add a few options to the FFRR to match my spec, which would push the budget higher (things that I guess are not standard such as HUD, Meridian Surround, 360, cruise assist).

The last bit would be image - I love the FFRR look and it looks much better from behind than the D5. But it doesn't feel like a car to leave in random streets and multi-storeys quite so easily. At a cursory glance, mine looks the same as a £50k Disco, whereas the FFRR always looks like a £90k plus car (as it is!). It's a big difference in profile for two similar sized and specced cars.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
Ashway231.00
      01-24-2020, 02:45 PM   #93
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Quote:

Porsche Cayenne....just saying, although if they are giving 16k off the FFRR Westminster @85k RRP plus another 2k loyalty then that has to be an option at 67k net plus perhaps some "goodwill"

BMW level discounts.....who knew.
Apparently the X5 30d can be had around 23% off now, although the hybrid 45e would be the USP of the X5 for me. And they might just have hired some JLR QA guys for that one

Cayenne - love it, but I like options/toys too much. Porsche is a brand where either you forego the concept of budget or rein in the toy count. I did dozens of configurator build of the Cayenne S and mid-80s was always the result. And each version was a compromise with different niceties missed off. Drove bloody well though!

The Westminster is an amazing buy at that price. New model due in 2021(?) but the old model always ages gracefully alongside the new.

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 02:59 PM   #94
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman

Quote:
Apparently the X5 30d can be had around 23% off now, although the hybrid 45e would be the USP of the X5 for me. And they might just have hired some JLR QA guys for that one

Cayenne - love it, but I like options/toys too much. Porsche is a brand where either you forego the concept of budget or rein in the toy count. I did dozens of configurator build of the Cayenne S and mid-80s was always the result. And each version was a compromise with different niceties missed off. Drove bloody well though!

The Westminster is an amazing buy at that price. New model due in 2021(?) but the old model always ages gracefully alongside the new.
That's the thing with the Porsches, no matter what model people talk about they always comment on how good the drive is and the build quality. But yeah, the options cost is an issue. I think in reality you have to accept you're easily going to add £10/15/20k in extras to a model.

Also their resale figures are usually good too.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2020, 03:18 PM   #95
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:

21% off that Westminster vs 23% on the X5 sounds like they are all at it, although that's not surprising given the current state of things.

Food for thought, yeah cayenne is dear but I bet they are doing deals as well, although the Westminster FFRR for that money is a lot of car, can hold its own against anything in the carpark.
      01-24-2020, 04:39 PM   #96
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

21% off that Westminster vs 23% on the X5 sounds like they are all at it, although that's not surprising given the current state of things.

Food for thought, yeah cayenne is dear but I bet they are doing deals as well, although the Westminster FFRR for that money is a lot of car, can hold its own against anything in the carpark.
Couldn't seem to build a Westminster, but just configured a Vogue SE with the same set of equipment and options as mine and it was £99k. Reassuringly out of my league

Appreciate 1
Wills28729.00
      01-25-2020, 03:18 AM   #97
Ashway
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Couldn't seem to build a Westminster, but just configured a Vogue SE with the same set of equipment and options as mine and it was £99k. Reassuringly out of my league
The Westminster is a prebuilt Vogue with around 7K of options, they're not spec changeable so only choices are the colours and interior leather.

its easy to get carried away with options I've done it so many times with other cars and come part ex time it counts for nothing. I'm kind of glad I couldn't add to my car I mean who really needs wade sensing in the real world
Appreciate 1
Wills28729.00
      01-25-2020, 03:38 AM   #98
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashway View Post
Quote:
The Westminster is a prebuilt Vogue with around 7K of options, they're not spec changeable so only choices are the colours and interior leather.

its easy to get carried away with options I've done it so many times with other cars and come part ex time it counts for nothing. I'm kind of glad I couldn't add to my car I mean who really needs wade sensing in the real world
I agree, no wade sensing only adding the things i definitely need and appreciate. A number of them are missing on my loaner, so I know their value to me.

Must admit basing it on the Vogue SE brought things i don't have and definitely don't need such as semi-aniline leather. It's beautiful, but Windsor is lovely too and plenty good enough for me.

The Meridian surround is an example of something unavailable on the Westminster, as I really love my music. The normal Meridian system is still excellent though.

Appreciate 1
Ashway231.00
      01-25-2020, 06:08 AM   #99
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Get them to give you one as your next loan car as let's face it you're going to have another loaner....
      01-25-2020, 06:39 AM   #100
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Get them to give you one as your next loan car as let's face it you're going to have another loaner....
It's in the plan

Have to get out of this loaner first, feels like a full time car now. Still loathe it.

Appreciate 1
Wills28729.00
      01-25-2020, 06:41 AM   #101
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

What have they given you?
      01-25-2020, 08:04 AM   #102
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
What have they given you?
From the other thread...
It's another Disco, another top spec HSE Luxury, but again missing most of the options mine has. It does have HUD, but no 360 cameras, cruise assist, adaptive dynamics.

And a 2.0 four. Quick enough, but it's how it gets there. All or nothing power delivery and a little rough past 2k. Glad I have the SDV6.

Black on black. And grubby.
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2020, 09:00 AM   #103
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Shit a 2.0 in that land yacht will get old very quickly, I remember driving a friends 2.7TDi Discovery 3 down to London 187hp and 2.5 tonnes it was awful at motorway speeds you couldn't pull out to pass lorries as it wouldn't move quick enough from 60-80mph the thing was glacial.
      01-25-2020, 11:20 AM   #104
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Shit a 2.0 in that land yacht will get old very quickly, I remember driving a friends 2.7TDi Discovery 3 down to London 187hp and 2.5 tonnes it was awful at motorway speeds you couldn't pull out to pass lorries as it wouldn't move quick enough from 60-80mph the thing was glacial.
Shit indeed!

The 2.0 is ok for performance, 240bhp I think. Although needs a bit of pushing.

But that's where the ok/good ends.

Rough idle, vibration even through the seats, harsh and noisy past 2k, a power vacuum worthy of the Labour Party below 1400 rpm. So that makes about 600rpm of bearable power band.

Double down changes when the SDV6 would muscle along with none. Generally a festival of gear changes compared with the V6.

Throttle pedal sends a telegram to the motor when pulling from standstill or switching from off power to on power when entering a roundabout. Utterly unnerving that huge delay. Can't power out of a corner unless you're on the throttle before you finish braking on the way in.

It's so unsuited to the car, and must be very noisy in any application; transforms the Disco from a calm,loping, soothing place (with an undercurrent of muscular power) to be into an annoying, rough, lurching mess.

I gave up trying to get it swapped, but to LR's credit they did have it at my disposal within 60 minutes of assist attending my office. If my car was in the dealer I bought it from, I suspect they might swap me into one of their own, but the repairing dealer isn't interested.

Oh and it's less economical to boot. 38.2mpg on the computer over 900+ miles, my V6 is usually showing 40+ over a tankful although that translates to mid 30s on fuelly.

Appreciate 1
Wills28729.00
      01-25-2020, 01:07 PM   #105
GBR1
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 45e on order

Quote:
Just ordered an X5 45e, I managed to get 18% discount plus the free BP Chargemaster wall unit which is £450ish.

Slightly higher % discount on a 30D but not 23%, where have you seen that figure? Carwow are showing 17.5% inc BMW incentives..

Payments are about £40 pcm apart between two builds same spec just different engine. 45e is more expensive but has better residual and should easily save the £40 a month extra in fuel..

GBR1
Appreciate 1
Wills28729.00
      01-25-2020, 01:22 PM   #106
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR1 View Post
Quote:
Just ordered an X5 45e, I managed to get 18% discount plus the free BP Chargemaster wall unit which is £450ish.

Slightly higher % discount on a 30D but not 23%, where have you seen that figure? Carwow are showing 17.5% inc BMW incentives..

Payments are about £40 pcm apart between two builds same spec just different engine. 45e is more expensive but has better residual and should easily save the £40 a month extra in fuel..

GBR1
Sounds a good deal, nice one! What spec did you go for? I was falling for all the option packs when I ventured on the X5 configurator again, although convinced myself I could live without laser lights

23 or 24% was mentioned on the X5 forum on this site In a reply to a post of mine about the almost £10k off a PHeV web offer from a Scottish dealer, iirc.

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 01:36 PM   #107
GBR1
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Sounds a good deal, nice one! What spec did you go for? I was falling for all the option packs when I ventured on the X5 configurator again, although convinced myself I could live without laser lights

23 or 24% was mentioned on the X5 forum on this site In a reply to a post of mine about the almost £10k off a PHeV web offer from a Scottish dealer, iirc.
I will have a look for that, thanks!

Speck is:

X5 45e in artic Grey (free colour options aren’t amazing) , coffee interior, need to decided on trim

Vis pack
Tech pack
Assistant driving pack
Acoustic glass
Privacy glass
+ a few small bits..
Appreciate 2
isleaiw19110.50
      01-25-2020, 01:41 PM   #108
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I will have a look for that, thanks!

Speck is:

X5 45e in artic Grey (free colour options aren’t amazing) , coffee interior, need to decided on trim

Vis pack
Tech pack
Assistant driving pack
Acoustic glass
Privacy glass
+ a few small bits..
Sounds lovely, I'd take arctic too, or possibly carbon black as that's a wonderful colour.

Not tempted with the comfort pack for the comfort seats? Sorry

Appreciate 1
GBR1338.00
      01-25-2020, 01:55 PM   #109
GBR1
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Sounds lovely, I'd take arctic too, or possibly carbon black as that's a wonderful colour.

Yes and no, budget didn’t stretch to those plus the std ones are very good..

I didn’t want the m sport plus pack as I don’t think the black grills work on the X5, personal choice.

So I just read your thread on the G05 forum, I basically got £13k off plus the free wall charger. As said above the extra GVF brings the payments within £40 a month between the 30D and the 45e..

GBR1
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2020, 02:24 PM   #110
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yes and no, budget didn’t stretch to those plus the std ones are very good..

I didn’t want the m sport plus pack as I don’t think the black grills work on the X5, personal choice.

So I just read your thread on the G05 forum, I basically got £13k off plus the free wall charger. As said above the extra GVF brings the payments within £40 a month between the 30D and the 45e..

GBR1
That's a cracking deal I think. I'm with you, wouldn't want MS+ on that car. Probably would trade comfort for visibility (that's laser lights iirc) and go for adaptive LEDs.

Would take 45e over the 30d every time. Although acoustic glass would make a big difference, I felt the 30d was a bit gruff.

Will be very interested to hear how you get on with it.

On mine, had a bit of a chat with the chairlady of the board tonight and back to thinking over rejection and ordering another.

Appreciate 0