F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > H&R Sport + Bilstein B8
GetBMWParts

11-04-2013, 02:58 PM   #89
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD_F30 View Post
No experience with the MPS. From what I've read on this forum MPS is near perfection. But it's probably 3 times what I spent and I'm pretty happy!
Okay, thanks. I'm just trying to gauge if this will be stiff enough for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #90
btbossman
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi M sport--2014 M6

Whats the deal with doing a coilover group buy?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 07:12 PM   #91
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by btbossman View Post
Whats the deal with doing a coilover group buy?
A Bilstein coilover GB would be something I'm game for too.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 07:52 AM   #92
btbossman
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi M sport--2014 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
A Bilstein coilover GB would be something I'm game for too.
Cool bro Im definitely in...If I touch suspension, I wanna get it all done in one shot, Ive heard this is the best way to go being that MPS wont work with xdrive?

Who else is down?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 10:09 AM   #93
richb811
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by vip View Post
ha thanks rich.

yeah im hoping this setup should be fine. should i still take some measurements and send to you to be sure? any recommendations on alignment specs?
H&R Sport + Bilstein shouldn't require you to do any excess negative camber to fit on a regular setup. If you do get any rubbing, you may have to dial a little in to eliminate it but It would be premature to make a suggestion without you actually experiencing an issue
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #94
vip
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 Alpine White M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich@GTBPerformance View Post
H&R Sport + Bilstein shouldn't require you to do any excess negative camber to fit on a regular setup. If you do get any rubbing, you may have to dial a little in to eliminate it but It would be premature to make a suggestion without you actually experiencing an issue
yeah i hear you....

still wanna see more impressions from the OP. Where you at? How are you liking the setup still? Any issues?
      11-05-2013, 03:36 PM   #95
richb811
Rep

Quote:
yeah i hear you....

still wanna see more impressions from the OP. Where you at? How are you liking the setup still? Any issues?
Hop a flight to Jersey and I'll take you for a ride in my E30!

You'll see.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 03:49 PM   #96
vip
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 Alpine White M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich@GTBPerformance View Post
Hop a flight to Jersey and I'll take you for a ride in my E30!

You'll see.
ha I will def look you up rich.

anywho, can you pm me pricing to 94555?
      11-05-2013, 04:13 PM   #97
richb811
Rep

Quote:
ha I will def look you up rich.

anywho, can you pm me pricing to 94555?
Roger that!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 11:09 PM   #98
SD_E88
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12' 135i E88 Black

***UPDATE***

I've had a chance to head out on some of the great roads near my home over the past week, as well as just drive the 24 mile commute to work and back a few times. I've made a couple observations.

For the first couple of days after install the car felt a little bouncy, at least, more so than I was used to. After a few more days the bouncy feeling is completely gone. Even more, the spots that would cause the old suspension to feel really bouncy and loose are now mere blips in the road. This was emphasized most on a freeway entrance I usually take at 60. It has a couple huge dips at the end of it, bad engineering. The dips feel practically nonexistent with the new setup when with the old setup I felt like the car was going to go airborne on occasion. Amazing.

With the new suspension I'm noticing vibrations aren't as well controlled as with the old setup. Lane changes over the lane markers are more pronounced. I don't think it's a big deal at all, just an observation. It's caused me to think about why BMW chose to make the new suspension so soft in the first place. Could be that the chassis is so much stiffer they had to soften the suspension a little?

I've said it before and I'll say it again. This setup is exactly what I was looking for. Taking the car out to Palomar Mountain yesterday really sealed the deal. It just handles so much better! The car feels so planted in hard cornering, but it's easier to induce tail out if you give the right input. Tail out is also more controllable coming out of a turn as well. Turn in feels quicker which took some getting used to, I found myself getting really tight in the apex when I hadn't intended to be so close. Not sure if that's the new tires or not. They are NOT run flat. Hankook V12's

Now, could it handle even better? Probably… but I don't want to pay thousands for coil overs. This is a car I drive to work every day and I'm not going to track it. This setup is great on the freeway and surface streets, excellent on the twisties, and in my opinion a perfect balance of firmness and compliance. Dammit BMW why isn't the stock Sport suspension like this?

Questions? Let me know...
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 08:22 AM   #99
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD_F30
***UPDATE***

I've had a chance to head out on some of the great roads near my home over the past week, as well as just drive the 24 mile commute to work and back a few times. I've made a couple observations.

For the first couple of days after install the car felt a little bouncy, at least, more so than I was used to. After a few more days the bouncy feeling is completely gone. Even more, the spots that would cause the old suspension to feel really bouncy and loose are now mere blips in the road. This was emphasized most on a freeway entrance I usually take at 60. It has a couple huge dips at the end of it, bad engineering. The dips feel practically nonexistent with the new setup when with the old setup I felt like the car was going to go airborne on occasion. Amazing.

With the new suspension I'm noticing vibrations aren't as well controlled as with the old setup. Lane changes over the lane markers are more pronounced. I don't think it's a big deal at all, just an observation. It's caused me to think about why BMW chose to make the new suspension so soft in the first place. Could be that the chassis is so much stiffer they had to soften the suspension a little?

I've said it before and I'll say it again. This setup is exactly what I was looking for. Taking the car out to Palomar Mountain yesterday really sealed the deal. It just handles so much better! The car feels so planted in hard cornering, but it's easier to induce tail out if you give the right input. Tail out is also more controllable coming out of a turn as well. Turn in feels quicker which took some getting used to, I found myself getting really tight in the apex when I hadn't intended to be so close. Not sure if that's the new tires or not. They are NOT run flat. Hankook V12's

Now, could it handle even better? Probably… but I don't want to pay thousands for coil overs. This is a car I drive to work every day and I'm not going to track it. This setup is great on the freeway and surface streets, excellent on the twisties, and in my opinion a perfect balance of firmness and compliance. Dammit BMW why isn't the stock Sport suspension like this?

That update makes me feel REALLY good!!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 04:34 PM   #100
Infamouz627
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport EBII 6MT

Quote:
Here are a few more pics from yesterday and one of how it sits today...
I haven't seen the car in person but based on the looks of that last picture, it doesn't seem to be much lower (if at all) than my stock 335i M-sport. I do not have M perf. susp. either. Can anyone attest to this or does the picture not do this set-up justice??
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 10:12 PM   #101
rxander
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 Alpine White

Quote:
***UPDATE***

Nice man I got 2 questions:

1. What shop did you use?
2. Pros and Cons H&R Sports + Bilstein Shock Combo vs this: http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-18...328i-335i.aspx
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 10:18 PM   #102
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamouz627
Quote:
I haven't seen the car in person but based on the looks of that last picture, it doesn't seem to be much lower (if at all) than my stock 335i M-sport. I do not have M perf. susp. either. Can anyone attest to this or does the picture not do this set-up justice??
I can guarantee you that a car on H&R's is significantly lower than your stock car. There are plenty of photos of cars on H&R's on the forum.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 10:26 PM   #103
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamouz627
Quote:
I can guarantee you that a car on H&R's is significantly lower than your stock car. They are plenty of photos of cars on H&R's on the forum.
#tru
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 09:22 AM   #104
SD_E88
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

@Infamouz627
The car is decidedly lower than the Sport Suspension that it came with. If I remember correctly the MSport suspension ride height is the same as the Sport. The MPerformance may be 10mm lower than the Sport but I'm not sure. I live right by a dealership and I se MSports all the time, I know for a fact my new setup is lower than the stock MSports I've seen around town.

The HR Sport spring definitely lowered the car 30mm as advertised. The pics don't do it justice, either because it's a black car or I'm just not good a photographer.

@rxander
Work was done at TAGmotorsports. They have a brand new shop in Vista. Very cool shop. They work on some very high end cars that put mine to shame.

The Bilstein Kit you linked to looks very cool. Coil overs up front and standard in the rear. I like that it's a set and has been matched by Bilstein from the get go. Price is seems reasonable. Maybe slightly more expensive than the shock strut combo. I had no idea this kit was out there.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 09:33 AM   #105
BMWnguyen
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E63 645Ci; F30 328i

So, what is best "group buy" price for this set?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 09:35 AM   #106
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

It's adjustable in the rear as well. There are 2 adjustable perches in the rear. It is a full front/rear adjustable system.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 09:36 AM   #107
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWnguyen
So, what is best "group buy" price for this set?
There's a GB in the Commercial Suspension section for the B8 Bilstein shocks mated to H&R Sport springs, not the full coilover system. Get in on the GB.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 12:14 PM   #108
Jchan112
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i F30

Im on h&r sports but for the cost of the bilsteins + install again I'm debating if I should sell my springs and just get bc coilovers.. Haven't seen any bad reviews about them yet, and it'll just be about $200 more...? What do you guys think??
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #109
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchan112 View Post
Im on h&r sports but for the cost of the bilsteins + install again I'm debating if I should sell my springs and just get bc coilovers.. Haven't seen any bad reviews about them yet, and it'll just be about $200 more...? What do you guys think??
That would be an option too, and I also considered it briefly. I guess it depends on whether or not you adjust height often. In all my years of owning C/O kits, never once have I adjusted height once set the first time, and rarely did I change the rebound/compression (..the latter was easiest with the TEIN set-ups, but even then I rarely touched it). I like the way the H&R's sit, so I see no point in paying the extra money for adjustment features that I'll never use. For what I need, the H&R/Bilstein combo is perfect.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 05:38 PM   #110
SD_E88
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Just make sure the BC Coil-overs aren't too drastic a drop for you. From what I understand they are a minimum of 50mm drop or more.
Appreciate 0