F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Heating the house worries
proTUNING Freaks

10-06-2021, 01:41 PM   #89
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [9.25]
IX  [8.67]
ah got it
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 02:33 PM   #90
Armaan
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i Sport Remapped

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Wholesale gas prices seem to have gone crazy today...
Prices up 20% on where I fixed mine two weeks ago and 10% up on a few days ago when I fixed my mums gas unit price…both for two years.

Going crazy!

Armaan
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 01:22 AM   #91
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

It looks like ALL energy prices will be increasing massively over the next few months. Given the UK generates about 1/3 of electricity from gas I can see both electricity and gas bills shooting up.

The only way to really control the costs at the individual level is reducing usage, and quite dramatically if you don't want to end up paying double or triple what you pay now.

We've 'debated' on how to reduce consumption here before, but I cannot help feel governments aren't in a rush to 'manage' this issue as this financial lever for changing behaviour isn't been seen as a political issue.

I've actually walked my daughter to school more this week than the last months!! Also using the pedal bike more for the commute. Must have saved all of £2 in electricity in car charging.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 01:42 AM   #92
ArthurKing
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
It looks like ALL energy prices will be increasing massively over the next few months. Given the UK generates about 1/3 of electricity from gas I can see both electricity and gas bills shooting up.

The only way to really control the costs at the individual level is reducing usage, and quite dramatically if you don't want to end up paying double or triple what you pay now.

We've 'debated' on how to reduce consumption here before, but I cannot help feel governments aren't in a rush to 'manage' this issue as this financial lever for changing behaviour isn't been seen as a political issue.

I've actually walked my daughter to school more this week than the last months!! Also using the pedal bike more for the commute. Must have saved all of £2 in electricity in car charging.
How much do you think the average consumer can actually cut back on though?

Granted, I am certain there are some savings I can make on electric but even those are going to be negligible. With me working from home twice a week and the wife being at home all week with the kid, we are using more electric now than we were 2 years ago when both of us were in the office 5 days a week.

Our heating comes on when it drops below 21 degrees and that is timed for a few hours in the morning and a few in the evening, there is no way we can make any adjustments to that which will have a significant gas saving. The only other gas is the hob and we cook proper meals each day so need to use the hob during meal times.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 02:28 AM   #93
NotGotABimmer23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i touring - incoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurKing View Post

Granted, I am certain there are some savings I can make on electric but even those are going to be negligible. With me working from home twice a week and the wife being at home all week with the kid, we are using more electric now than we were 2 years ago when both of us were in the office 5 days a week.

Our heating comes on when it drops below 21 degrees and that is timed for a few hours in the morning and a few in the evening, there is no way we can make any adjustments to that which will have a significant gas saving. The only other gas is the hob and we cook proper meals each day so need to use the hob during meal times.
Well if you changed 21 degrees to 18 degrees and put a jumper on I'm sure it would make a decent difference. Not saying you should but there are always options. We haven't had the heating on yet this year and we have a poorly insulated house, it's really not been that cold.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 02:39 AM   #94
G50
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurKing View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post

How well insulated (around the openings) are your doors and windows?

My house is only 5 years old and well insulated, however some of the windows, the bit that opens wasn't fully aligned, you could feel a small amount of air coming through a half a mm gap. I realigned them and used some insulating tape between the bit that opens and the frame(so you can't see it). Quieter and warmer.

Same with the front door, bought some high quality weather strip tape/draft excluder and now, at night if you run the back of your hand round the door frame you can no longer feel any cold air coming through.

I'm in Manchester and last few days the house has reached 18c during the day, purely due to the sun, and hasn't dropped below 17c through the night when outside its dropped below 10c. More than warm enough to not need the heating, and certainly keeps the heat in longer than it did last year.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 03:08 AM   #95
ArthurKing
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylemacca01 View Post
Well if you changed 21 degrees to 18 degrees and put a jumper on I'm sure it would make a decent difference. Not saying you should but there are always options. We haven't had the heating on yet this year and we have a poorly insulated house, it's really not been that cold.
If it were just my wife and I, it probably would be set on 18 rather than 21 but with a 19 month old, I would rather have the house warmer for him considering he can't yet tell us if he is cold or warm.

To be fair, gas is probably 30-35% of our overall bill each year. Its largely Electric to be honest.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 05:04 AM   #96
AyrshireColin
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Taycan Turbo

I've got no worries about heating the house, paying for it is a different matter!

Currently with EDF and tariff is up at the end of this month. Currently pay £175 pcm and they want £457 pcm to lock in for 2 years. Just going to let it run onto variable which is currently estimated at £269 pcm…..obviously at the mercy of the sh*tshow with that though.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 06:33 AM   #97
G50
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31

Just been on my Bulb app and seen the reward for introducing new customers has gone from 50 quid to 2 quid.

I imagine it's because they agreed not to put prices up for 6 months a few weeks before gas prices flew up.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 04:30 AM   #98
rosstin
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i saloon

Approx 40% gas increase now my supplier has gone bust and I'm on shell's standard variable. That's until the next price cap increase.

Time to get the chimney swept and some wood for the burner!

I really feel for those that are forced into fuel poverty because of factors they cannot control.. a perfect storm with benefit cuts, fuel scarcity and price inflation - it's going to be a shit Christmas for some.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 06:34 AM   #99
MrManor
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK8 Golf R / Grandland Ultimat

To save on gas just buy an electric heater, job jobbed!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 06:41 AM   #100
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [9.25]
IX  [8.67]
I am aware that some EV's have a 3pin point to plug in electric items to draw out power etc.
Could this work ? charge your EV on a free charging point (many in Scotland) and plug in an electric heater into that socket via extension lead once you are home.
Appreciate 4
G50966.50
3-GT336.50
      10-08-2021, 06:47 AM   #101
AyrshireColin
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Taycan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
I am aware that some EV's have a 3pin point to plug in electric items to draw out power etc.
Could this work ? charge your EV on a free charging point (many in Scotland) and plug in an electric heater into that socket via extension lead once you are home.
Appreciate 1
MY340i748.00