F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > First F30 Limp Mode
ARMA SPEED

02-24-2014, 08:34 PM   #1123
NordicBob
Private
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 Sapphire Black metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhannis View Post
Well 2nd limp mode today... Took it to the dealer while running. Again 0 indication that there is any issue with the car. Talk about unsafe... You would think such a high tech car would toss a check engine light on or something. Anyways, Dealer acknowledged that there was an issue they are going to replace some fan relay and do a software update. Called BMWNA and they suggested working with the sales department to see what could be done when I indicated that if it happens again I will be lemoning the car.
I've had the limp mode twice on my September 2012 build F30. No check engine either time, but fault codes found by dealer. The first time my car had less than 1000 miles on it. The auxiliary fan was replaced. In the meantime I had the MPPK installed at around 10,000+ miles which required a new DME. No problems until 16K+ miles when the second limp mode occurred after an hour of driving on the freeway. When I got off the freeway and was near my destination in a residential area, I noticed that the oil temp gauge was running low at about 200 degrees F. I floored it and it had hardly any acceleration. The typical fan roar was occurring periodically. Shutting the engine off and then back on cleared the problem. I subsequently took my car to the local dealer where 2 fault codes were found. The dealer did a software reprogram. So far no more problems. Otherwise, no other problems since I took delivery of the car in November 2012.
      02-24-2014, 08:42 PM   #1124
sapsec
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335 MSport

Like a wet noodle...

Long story short, experienced my first limp mode after 4 months of ownership and 5K miles. No CELs, warning lights or messages - Only a sudden and complete loss of engine power. No acceleration, RPMs wouldn't budge. Kept mashing the throttle and the silly thing sprang to life, lurched and bucked and was fine.

Trip to dealer revealed several codes including one for cooling fan. Aux cooling fan replaced and software update applied. Filed a complaint on the NHTSA-ODI website for this issue and phoned BMW NA. Officially complained to them and put them on notice that if it occurs again, I will lemon the car under state and federal consumer protection laws. BMW was NOT happy to hear about the ODI complaint and that's when there tune changed.

My dealer was surprised to find error codes for the limp mode without visual indication of a problem (CELs etc...). PUMA case opened, complaint filed with ODI and BMW and now we wait for the next limp mode. This is a safety issue first and foremost and I am terribly disappointed more people aren't filing complaints.

Otherwise, the 335 is an awesome car and everything my 7 Audis, 3 Minis, 370Z should have been. If we band together and file complaints with the NHTSA-ODI, maybe we can put pressure on BMW to rectify this. It's a shame such a great car has this black mark. Just my .02...
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 01:42 PM   #1125
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapsec View Post
Long story short, experienced my first limp mode after 4 months of ownership and 5K miles. No CELs, warning lights or messages - Only a sudden and complete loss of engine power. No acceleration, RPMs wouldn't budge. Kept mashing the throttle and the silly thing sprang to life, lurched and bucked and was fine.

Trip to dealer revealed several codes including one for cooling fan. Aux cooling fan replaced and software update applied. Filed a complaint on the NHTSA-ODI website for this issue and phoned BMW NA. Officially complained to them and put them on notice that if it occurs again, I will lemon the car under state and federal consumer protection laws. BMW was NOT happy to hear about the ODI complaint and that's when there tune changed.

My dealer was surprised to find error codes for the limp mode without visual indication of a problem (CELs etc...). PUMA case opened, complaint filed with ODI and BMW and now we wait for the next limp mode. This is a safety issue first and foremost and I am terribly disappointed more people aren't filing complaints.

Otherwise, the 335 is an awesome car and everything my 7 Audis, 3 Minis, 370Z should have been. If we band together and file complaints with the NHTSA-ODI, maybe we can put pressure on BMW to rectify this. It's a shame such a great car has this black mark. Just my .02...
Another Limpy for me today at just over 4k miles. I was stopped at a light with ASS activated (engine off) and when the engine fired and I took off I immediately felt it. Mashed the accelerator and 3k was all she gave me.

I was a block from work so I didn't pull over. When I got into the garage, when I had enough room I punched it in 1st and it did go a bit over 3k before I had to brake. When you're in Limp, you can tell well before you hit the wall of 3k RPM. And in the parking garage, she felt responsive.

Oil temp was just below 250 and no fan noise at all.
      03-03-2014, 05:55 PM   #1126
falar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-sport/2013 X3 35i

Here I am eagerly awaiting my 335i in transit and stumble up on this thread.............ouch.

If I get this BS I will attempt to lemon it as well. Unacceptable.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 06:12 PM   #1127
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapsec View Post

Another Limpy for me today at just over 4k miles. I was stopped at a light with ASS activated (engine off) and when the engine fired and I took off I immediately felt it. Mashed the accelerator and 3k was all she gave me.

I was a block from work so I didn't pull over. When I got into the garage, when I had enough room I punched it in 1st and it did go a bit over 3k before I had to brake. When you're in Limp, you can tell well before you hit the wall of 3k RPM. And in the parking garage, she felt responsive.

Oil temp was just below 250 and no fan noise at all.
I've had that happen without the fan as well. I believe that I posted about it 75,389,910 pages ago.

It actually didn't register at BMW as the "limp mode" with the fan noise did. Whether right or wrong, I chalked it up to a software "bug."
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 08:31 PM   #1128
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC40 View Post
I've had that happen without the fan as well. I believe that I posted about it 75,389,910 pages ago.

It actually didn't register at BMW as the "limp mode" with the fan noise did. Whether right or wrong, I chalked it up to a software "bug."
Yes for now I'll just hope there's a TSB or recall for it. Taking it in is pointless. Although if the frequency increases, I might have to rethink that strategy.
      03-03-2014, 08:47 PM   #1129
KellerKiller
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i M, EBII, mit alles

Thumbs up

BMW has an updated auxiliary fan now for the MSport 335. Just had mine replaced with the new version after the first replacement went bad. Seems to be working fine. If you're still having limp w/ no code and the fan blasting, make sure you ask the service rep to get the new part.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 10:25 PM   #1130
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellerKiller View Post
BMW has an updated auxiliary fan now for the MSport 335. Just had mine replaced with the new version after the first replacement went bad. Seems to be working fine. If you're still having limp w/ no code and the fan blasting, make sure you ask the service rep to get the new part.
No fan issue. Just Limp Mode. It's bullshit.

Yeah just imagine a Spitfire on the tail of a Fw190 (BMW engine) the 190 pushes in the throttle and.....voila Limp Mode.
      03-03-2014, 10:57 PM   #1131
viper176
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 / X5-5.0

Thank you all for posting about our F30 LIMP mode. I was able to use this information with my service manager to outline the issue and hope it's been taken care of today. Below are what BMW tech outlined. I picked up the car today. It happened to me twice. First time on the highway and second time few days ago in city driving condition. Normal driving condition prior to LIMP Mode (My car - 2013 - M335i w/MT)

"PERFORMED SHORT TEST, CONNECTED BATTERY CHARGER, FOUND FAULT CODE 1A2108 ELECTRIC FAN MINOR FAN FAULT. PERFORMED TEST PLAN, INSTRUCTED TO CHECK ELECTRIC FAN INDEX NUMBER, FOUND AT 01, INSTRUCTED TO REPLACE ELECTRIC FAN AND PROGRAM. REPLACED ELECTRIC FAN, PROGRAMMED VEHICLE. TEST DROVE. CHECK OK.
DEFECT CODE 17 11 11 99 00
VEHICLE TEST- 00 00 006
CHARGER- 61 21 528
TEST MODULE- 61 00 006 WT
REPLACING FAN- 17 11 535
PROGRAMMING- 61 00 730"
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 07:21 PM   #1132
lawbillik
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30

Just found this thread today after my first experience with what could only be limp mode. I found others' descriptions helpful---as well as details of their car/conditions for the general information bank...

My list of symptoms:
-Sluggish performance, under 3000rpms and on occasion 4500rpms (read below)
-No check engine light or visual indication of a problem, on board diagnostic check returned "OK"
-When stopped, idle was higher than normal, around 1k rpms, car would accelerate a little the moment my foot was removed from the brake pedal, BEFORE touching the accelerator.
-did not notice any excessive fan noise--(did not know to listen for it, excessive fan noise could have been present and I could have been too distracted to realize)

The Details:
I have a 2014 328xi Sport Line, (automatic transmission) Picked up in February, (build date of October 2013, Germany) currently have about 700 miles. Temp today was about 40 degrees, car is garage kept but temp in garage was around the same as outside. Since taking delivery I have been mindful of and following proper break in procedure. I have not used the different drive modes too much in my 700 miles, and when the incident occurred today car was in default 'comfort' mode.

Started my car, began driving as usual. When the engine is cold I am extra gentle, did not notice anything until about 3 min after beginning to drive, while entering the freeway. While attempting to gently bring the car up to a safe speed to merge into traffic I noticed the normally sufficient light tap of the gas pedal didn't provide enough power. I inched further down onto the pedal, glancing at my instrument cluster it was obvious something was wrong. The car was sluggish, didn't want to go over 3k RPMs. If the accelerator was pressed all the way to the floor (past the click point) car would downshift and run (to a more sluggish than usual) 4500rpm--even that did not provide enough power to operate safely in and out of traffic.

I had a hunch that if I turned the car off the problem may disappear---wanting to avoid a 'dealer not able to duplicate the event' situation I cancelled my meeting and drove directly to the dealer. Without shutting off the engine, I picked up the shop foreman, demonstrated the issue, and then traded seats so he could experience the issue firsthand.

Left car at the dealer, comfortable that the foreman experienced the issue--got a call later saying when they started the car 10 min after I left the issue was gone and the car drove like normal. Their next move is to talk to some BMW regional person who may have more information, I should get an update tomorrow.

Question:
Since this thread obviously attracts people who pay close attention to their cars/those who have experienced this event--I want to know if there is anyone with an F30 who is sure they have NOT experienced this---could you please chime in and let us know you exist?? Would be a helpful gauge of how widespread the problem is, you know....rather than screaming "epidemic" inside of a hospital....
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 07:32 PM   #1133
davjo68
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i Sport Sedan

I have a 2013 335i Sport Line with about 3500 miles and have never experienced limp home mode, knock wood.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 11:43 AM   #1134
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

After HPFP, injector issues etc in e90/92 I really don't understand why people continue to buy these cars when it almost certain that you will encounter limp mode etc. I don't get it.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 05:28 PM   #1135
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davjo68 View Post
I have a 2013 335i Sport Line with about 3500 miles and have never experienced limp home mode, knock wood.
It's only the M-Sport model as it has different cooling than the other lines.
      03-06-2014, 07:54 PM   #1136
lawbillik
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post
No that can't be true as I have a sport line, and as stated in the post that davjo was responding to I believe it just happened to my car...
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 08:25 PM   #1137
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Someone please lock this thread. It's an abortion chock full of misinformation now.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 09:16 PM   #1138
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
Someone please lock this thread. It's an abortion chock full of misinformation now.
Now? Try 7,450,208 pages ago...
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 09:18 PM   #1139
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post
This, based on the ORIGINAL purpose of this thread.

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 09:21 PM   #1140
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This, based on the ORIGINAL purpose of this thread.

Can't the OP just revise the damn title of the thread? That would do the trick.

EDIT: I just went back to the first post. He HAS updated it with everything pertinent that's been learned since the problem surfaced - including the fact that it's only 335i M Sport. Maybe folks aren't actually reading it?

Limp mode can literally be caused by thousands of different faults and include a multitude of different symptoms. This thread is (was) about the 335i M Sport fan issue.

Last edited by BavarianFanatic; 03-06-2014 at 09:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 09:27 PM   #1141
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Can't the OP just revise the damn title of the thread? That would do the trick.
DarkTrigger hasn't been on for months. I believe he has been pretty busy outside of work.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 09:32 PM   #1142
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
DarkTrigger hasn't been on for months. I believe he has been pretty busy outside of work.
Well tell him to get his ass back in here!

I also edited my comment while you were quoting it.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 09:41 PM   #1143
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Well tell him to get his ass back in here!

I also edited my comment while you were quoting it.
LOL. I'll see if I can resurrect him!

I just read your edit...perfect.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 07:22 PM   #1144
ingenieur
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d MSport

Has anyone seen the new TSB on this?
Appreciate 0