F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > 10.25" Android 10 HU discussion
proTUNING Freaks

08-18-2020, 10:44 AM   #1145
mattmanslim
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by preppyr6 View Post
Funny to think that my 10yo E46 Dynavin unit had more output options than this one. This doesnt even have a single sub output.
It’s not designed to. The amplification in an F30 is done via the head unit or an external amplifier via the head unit. These units are designed to fully integrate with the OEM functions, not try to bypass them.
Appreciate 2
Kri1080.50
RedErik1083.00
      08-18-2020, 01:05 PM   #1146
Konradical6
Private
Rep
Drives: E70

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike78 View Post
The same happend to me with a ugode CarPlay dongle. Someone from xda mentioned that they issued the firmware to brick counterfeit devices.

Which CarPlay adapter do you have? From which supplier?

Can anyone confirm that navifly Android 10 built in CarPlay works after latest firmware update issued 2 days ago?

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konradical6 View Post
Having another auto kit CarPlay issue. I updated the software and the "box" but not when i plug in my phone nothing happens it just keeps saying please plug "box" into usb. Anyone can help?
That makes sense, it's def bricked. That one was from avinusa. I just bought one from Carlinkit to replace but now I'm worried if an update will brick it. Who's the main manufacturer?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 01:37 AM   #1147
bepp67
Enlisted Member
Italy
Rep
Drives: bmw 520 xd f11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moaus View Post
I can't get the mcu update to work.
I have the 023052dGs-NBT-GTH-191127-B18.
I've downloaded ksw_mcu_023055dGS-NBT-GTH-DC1-200709.zip, unpacked it to sd card but when I'm trying to update the mcu it says something went wrong or file corrupted. Am i on the right version ? I have the 1.91 update.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoface View Post
That update is for HD screen (it has DC1 in name).
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvntHrzn View Post
Hi guys,

I noticed on the Mega site there is a ksw_mcu_023055dGS-NBT-GTH-DC1-200709.zip MCU update.

I understand from previous posts that file is for the newer higher resolution units (of which I have "720p"). Does anyone know if there's anything specific to be gained from upgrading to that file from my current MCU of 023055dGS-NBT-GTH-DC-191230? (I don't recall if MCU's ever have any sort of release notes, but my manufacturer wouldn't give me any MCU update when I asked them)

Besides the date at the end, would the file having DC1 instead of DC like mine, cause any issues? Or should I be the first guinea pig?

Thanks

EDIT: Took the plunge, everything works fine with this MCU update in my unit. Still don't know what DC1 signifies vs my original DC, but that's ok.
I wanted to point out that the wording "DC1" in the name of the MCU version does not necessarily correspond only to the hd screen. In fact, I also have a 1920x720 device but in my mcu it says "DC". I have checked with various apps the specifications of my display which have confirmed that it is hd.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 02:04 AM   #1148
OrangeUFO
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

Anybody knows if is possible to connect USB Bluetooth in order to get data from OBD connector? I’m trying to get apps like BimmerLink or Torque working while data is still connected trough LTE.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 02:22 AM   #1149
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E63 645Ci

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeUFO View Post
Anybody knows if is possible to connect USB Bluetooth in order to get data from OBD connector? I'm trying to get apps like BimmerLink or Torque working while data is still connected trough LTE.
Short answer: no. Bluetooth on these units is locked to only accept mobile phones and USB Bluetooth adapters do not work. If you want to use OBD get either a WiFi or USB version.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 04:53 AM   #1150
twoface
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 316D

Quote:
Originally Posted by bepp67 View Post
I wanted to point out that the wording "DC1" in the name of the MCU version does not necessarily correspond only to the hd screen. In fact, I also have a 1920x720 device but in my mcu it says "DC". I have checked with various apps the specifications of my display which have confirmed that it is hd.
Point is that non HD screen don't have "DC" in MCU string. Doesn't matter if you have "DC" or "DC1". HD screens probably have new MCU, my seller confirmed me that AHD camera is working only with new HD screens, so maybe there are some HW changes on the board.

If someone is willing to take a risk, you could use hex editor and change string in MCU .bin file (remove "DC" string), then it may pass as an compatible version.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 05:00 AM   #1151
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E63 645Ci

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Point is that non HD screen don't have "DC" in MCU string. Doesn't matter if you have "DC" or "DC1". HD screens probably have new MCU, my seller confirmed me that AHD camera is working only with new HD screens, so maybe there are some HW changes on the board.

If someone is willing to take a risk, you could use hex editor and change string in MCU .bin file (remove "DC" string), then it may pass as an compatible version.
Interesting thing is that some (if not all) MCU files are identical between various vendors with only difference being vendor specific string. I mean within same system type (CCC, CIC or NBT) and screen size.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 09:10 AM   #1152
dico21
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 XDrive35i E70 N55

I purchased one of the new 1920x720 screens from Mekede since my old unit was a dud (sent back to China for replacement, but we will see how that goes) and there is a new MCU for CIC. It also contains the DC1 string.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 09:13 AM   #1153
preppyr6
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2003 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmanslim View Post
It’s not designed to. The amplification in an F30 is done via the head unit or an external amplifier via the head unit. These units are designed to fully integrate with the OEM functions, not try to bypass them.
Oh I know, and you're right. My point is that the early days of OEM-style aftermarket headunits for our cars had options in addition to full integration. The dynavin's had harnesses the same as these units, but also had options for RCA inputs. Maybe thats just reflective of the ICE scene for that generation idk.

Regardless, after having run RCA lines through my old E46 and building a trunk system...Im not really leaping at the chance to do that for these cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 10:13 AM   #1154
mbonus
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Does anyone here have experience with both the Android HU and an MMI box(carplay and AA)?

I figure it's unlikely since they both require a similar install but I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons for each solution (as an android phone user). What I gather so far and please correct me where I'm wrong:

Android 10 HU:
Pros: Full android 10, Theming ability, ODB Integration (with wifi adapter), touch screen
Cons: Hotspot or sim card requirement for internet, call integration with stock mic, sound bugs possibly requiring ext dac
MMI Box:
Pros: Wireless integration for Android Auto, no separate internet connection required.
Cons: Apps limited by Android auto, call integration also janky without patch. Newer units may not have community development.

Any thing else I'm not catching on to?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 10:35 AM   #1155
bepp67
Enlisted Member
Italy
Rep
Drives: bmw 520 xd f11

Quote:

Hello. Yes sure. I was only referring to the fact that previously it was said that the mcu with the wording "dc1" was hd while the one with "dc" was not hd. My case, where the MCU reports "dc" and is hd, demonstrates that these vendors adopt custom rules, not standardized at all.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 03:06 PM   #1156
Stainy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435d Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbonus View Post
Android 10 HU:[INDENT]Pros: Full android 10, Theming ability, ODB Integration (with wifi adapter), touch screen
Cons: Hotspot or sim card requirement for internet, call integration with stock mic, sound bugs possibly requiring ext dac
The sound on mine is great (once I've used the Tasker workaround for low sound bug). I disable BT on the HU and use the car for calls, so no issue there.
Can't see that Hotspot is a con, as either way your phone needs data - I just use a small and free App called Andriod Hotspot on my phone. When it connects to the car, it automatically fires up the hotspot. It's done before the HU boots and all works well. The low sound bug is the only (minor) issue I have.

Never tried an MMI box, but why would I when the HU is almost perfect
Appreciate 1
mbonus9.00
      08-20-2020, 11:39 AM   #1157
zatelli
Private First Class
Morocco
Rep
Drives: 2013 RWD F30

Quote:
Does anyone here have experience with both the Android HU and an MMI box(carplay and AA)?

I figure it's unlikely since they both require a similar install but I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons for each solution (as an android phone user). What I gather so far and please correct me where I'm wrong:

Android 10 HU:
Pros: Full android 10, Theming ability, ODB Integration (with wifi adapter), touch screen
MMI Box:
Pros: Wireless integration for Android Auto, no separate internet connection required.
Cons: Apps limited by Android auto, call integration also janky without patch. Newer units may not have community development.

Any thing else I'm not catching on to?
I don't see why you're putting hotspot /sim as a con: you can connect a portable router to one of the usb cables, and have a permanent access point, hassle free for all of your devices.

I'd add the following to what you've said:
Android 10 HU:
Pros:
Integration of aftermarket front / backup / 360 cameras
Integration of aftermarket DVRs
Integration of aftermarket TPMS
Integration of DAB+ radios
Multimedia support
System upgrades / versatility (growing third party development community)
Full android experience
Carplay / screen mirroring
Ability to use telemetry data on the fly through a connected bluetooth OBD dongle(eco-driving, draggy, etc)
Cons:
Stability, bugs
Lack of integration with OEM mic
MMI Boxes:
Pros:
Integration of aftermarket front / backup / 360 cameras
Carplay / screen mirroring
Cons:
Lack of further functionalities
Pricey, given the feature set
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 12:16 PM   #1158
mbonus
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zatelli View Post
I don't see why you're putting hotspot /sim as a con: you can connect a portable router to one of the usb cables, and have a permanent access point, hassle free for all of your devices.
Thank you so much for the list - that is helpful.

That is a great suggestion for the hotspot - I was mainly referring to needing an additional data account and the costs associated with that as a con.

Do these Android HU integrate well with the existing cameras? My F30 is equipped with top view and side view.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 01:21 PM   #1159
zatelli
Private First Class
Morocco
Rep

Quote:
Thank you so much for the list - that is helpful.

That is a great suggestion for the hotspot - I was mainly referring to needing an additional data account and the costs associated with that as a con.

Do these Android HU integrate well with the existing cameras? My F30 is equipped with top view and side view.
I assume, it shipped out of the factory with a 360 camera. If so, it should continue to function normally with an android HU. The same also applies to OEM backup cameras
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 01:21 PM   #1160
Frankly30
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Yes, there is an option to select OEM Camera. While PDC is on it switched back to the HU so you can see your OEM cams. When you or your car turns PDC off, it switches automatically back to Android.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 01:24 PM   #1161
Frankly30
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Btw about the DAB+, their solution to glue some pieces of plastic on the windshield isn't an ideal solution I think. Did someone here manage to retrofit a proper DAB antenna on their roof?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 03:31 PM   #1162
zatelli
Private First Class
Morocco
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankly30 View Post
Btw about the DAB+, their solution to glue some pieces of plastic on the windshield isn't an ideal solution I think. Did someone here manage to retrofit a proper DAB antenna on their roof?
Speaking of DAB, the antenna has to be grounded to the A pillar, and you could completely hide the plastic part completely behind the A pillar trim, without compromising signal strength
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 03:34 PM   #1163
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G21 330e MSport Individual

Yeah, split the factory DAB antenna
unlike the GPS, this does work without issues
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 03:56 PM   #1164
mbonus
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRuw View Post
Yeah, split the factory DAB antenna
unlike the GPS, this does work without issues
What are the specific issues with splitting the gps? Are there good solutions? I saw one of the vendors offering a fakra gps splitter, is this no good?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 04:13 PM   #1165
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G21 330e MSport Individual

NO, android uses 3.3V and the OEM system uses 5v (or other way around).
It causes the "no signal issue" and freezes the android unit frequently...
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 04:53 PM   #1166
Frankly30
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zatelli View Post
Speaking of DAB, the antenna has to be grounded to the A pillar, and you could completely hide the plastic part completely behind the A pillar trim, without compromising signal strength
That sounds good! Are there any pictures on how it'll look like?

Also how about antennas like these: https://www.amazon.de/Eightwood-Ante.../dp/B07B1ZDMVX
Would they work too? If yes, I could hide it completely under the C pillar. That's where I used to hide the FM antenna for BMW's Integrated Navigation to just pick up TMC signals (because the factory provided antenna was terrible and wasn't picking up anything at all) before I replaced it with the Android Screen.
Appreciate 0