F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Andream MMI Box - Wireless CarPlay & Android Auto
proTUNING Freaks

05-28-2024, 04:56 PM   #13135
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i N26

Would like to caution people that updating without properly researching the potential outcomes could cause you more grief than it’s worth. The guidance and instructions from the sellers for these MMI units are already lacking. Pretty much everything is trial and error if you read through this thread.

Unless somebody has already confirmed at their own risk that something works, don’t do it. Especially don’t do it if you don’t know what unit you have and how to recover from your mistake. Which means you should also have a back up file of your existing configuration.

You have to understand that this is not an Android phone or an Apple iPhone upgrade that was designed by thousands of industry-leading trained engineers with the least sophisticated user in mind. It’s not a forgiving process. You are messing with files (that are at the very root of the system) with sparsely documented remedies and no built-in automatic recovery in place.

Unless you properly research every step of your upgrade, you are playing with a Russian roulette.
      05-28-2024, 10:49 PM   #13136
ADHD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Garage List
21 M540i  [0.00]
07 e90 335  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fe7565 View Post
Would like to caution people that updating without properly researching the potential outcomes could cause you more grief than it’s worth. The guidance and instructions from the sellers for these MMI units are already lacking. Pretty much everything is trial and error if you read through this thread.

Unless somebody has already confirmed at their own risk that something works, don’t do it. Especially don’t do it if you don’t know what unit you have and how to recover from your mistake. Which means you should also have a back up file of your existing configuration.

You have to understand that this is not an Android phone or an Apple iPhone upgrade that was designed by thousands of industry-leading trained engineers with the least sophisticated user in mind. It’s not a forgiving process. You are messing with files (that are at the very root of the system) with sparsely documented remedies and no built-in automatic recovery in place.

Unless you properly research every step of your upgrade, you are playing with a Russian roulette.
IF its not broke dont fix it!.

That said When would one want to update the firmware in the MMI. Every 2-3 years or so?
Why would one want to and is there Confirmed Specific Instructions for each model or all the same update process?

Is getting a Backup file Easy as confirming the existing firmware and downloading it from "roadtop" or "andream" ?
      05-28-2024, 11:38 PM   #13137
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHD View Post

That said When would one want to update the firmware in the MMI. Every 2-3 years or so?
Why would one want to and is there Confirmed Specific Instructions for each model or all the same update process?

Is getting a Backup file Easy as confirming the existing firmware and downloading it from "roadtop" or "andream" ?
It's subjective. Different people have different expectations how it operates, what features it should have, and tolerance for problems.

I would like my MMI to work 100% of the time, and to reconnect every time after it sits disconnected from the phone. I want it to stay on the correct audio output channel when I reconnect. In reality, it does not. It's not an OEM solution that is designed and perfected by the best engineers. However, for $240 it's quite good and in some aspects it has more features than most OEM setups.

In my case, I am ok with the MMI not connecting 1 out of 50 times from scratch. And ok with not re-connecting 1 out of 20 times after the phone was removed for 10-30 mins. I am ok with an occasional MMI auto-reboot while operating, as long as it reboots into a connected CarPlay and I can resume/restart my map route.

I suspect that a lot of the auto-reboots may have something to do with cell coverage. If you have spotty coverage or data, it may trigger some internal programming of the MMI to reboot. This I only noticed with the latest firmware, about for the last 8-10 months.

I am impulsively updating my iPhone and PC, usually soon after a new updated comes out. Not only for security reasons, but also for any new features it may have. But I know that it's an idiot proof process and near zero risk doing it. But not advisable to do that with the MMI. The risks may outweigh the benefits, because the upgrade process was not designed with the average user in mind, and is not properly publicized.

In most cases the MMI features are unknown and are not described by the Chinese manufacturer/sellers. I am sure security is not their priority. I am actually pleased that they seem to be making small steps towards feature improvements. At least Road Top and Andream. All others seem to have abandoned their MMI support.

When should one upgrade? IMHO, only if you have a problem that rises to the level that you keep getting irritated. Or, if you want a feature that you need, like the full-audio Bluetooth, or not having to use an external mic for a CIC, etc. How would you know, if something new comes out? Unfortunately, only by others posting about it in this thread, or the seller's website.

Then you do your research and/or ask and try to make sure you have a backup of your current firmware files. Ensure you know what exact model number you have. Make sure the new firmware is already used by someone else, or was given to you/or someone by the seller. I found that MCU firmware (which I believe is like the operating system root files) was more forgiving as far as updates, but it may cause more harm if something goes wrong. The CUST Ver seems to contain the GUI, and updating it at times is more difficult than the MCU, but if it goes wrong it may fall back to the original version.

The best would be if the Chinse manufacturer or sellers would make it open source code, because then hundreds of users could crowdsource perfecting and improving the firmware instead of just a handful of Chinese engineers with unknown motivation and credentials.

Last edited by fe7565; 05-29-2024 at 11:33 PM..
Appreciate 5
      05-31-2024, 04:02 AM   #13138
Jenly Tang
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Quote:

Hello my friend,

The previous post is completely correct. Under normal circumstances, you don't need to update the system unless there are particularly big changes, such as the original car Bluetooth output sound. Or we will embed AI in the future.
For us, it is very dangerous to disclose the code. It may be used for other purposes by some bad guys.
Fortunately, we have been working hard to optimize the system and software.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2024, 03:47 PM   #13139
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenly Tang View Post
Hello my friend,

The previous post is completely correct. Under normal circumstances, you don't need to update the system unless there are particularly big changes, such as the original car Bluetooth output sound. Or we will embed AI in the future.
For us, it is very dangerous to disclose the code. It may be used for other purposes by some bad guys.
Fortunately, we have been working hard to optimize the system and software.
Hey Jenly I have some things to point out/ask:

1) With open source code it is actually more secure than closed source code, because alot more developers can look at the code and discover/fix any security vulnerabilities that may be there much quicker than if it were closed source. Features will also be developed much quicker as well, this results in more robust overall code. For example linux and android are fully open source and there are no issues with security, in fact the open source nature is what makes it more secure.

2) Can you make the pairing process to the mmi for android auto require a pin or for the user to confirm the phone on the mmi? Because right now all that is needed for pairing is for someone to connect to the bluetooth and it will automatically pair, there is no verification from the mmi or anything. This is a huge security vulnerability.
fe7565611.00
      05-31-2024, 09:57 PM   #13140
berserker
Registered
Rep
Drives: btw f48

hello everyone!

I'm trying to update my CarPlay interface, but none of the PINs worked for my interface .
I have the "Cartizan Champion" for BMW NBT

Does someone have any idea of what PIN should I use???

Thanks for your help!!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2024, 11:13 PM   #13141
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserker View Post
hello everyone!

I'm trying to update my CarPlay interface, but none of the PINs worked for my interface .
I have the "Cartizan Champion" for BMW NBT

Does someone have any idea of what PIN should I use???

Thanks for your help!!
Unfortunately, I never heard of this unit. Hopefully somebody else may have. I’m assuming that reaching out to the seller directly did not result in any assistance? I am assuming you already have the firmware if you’re looking for the pin. Because if you don’t have any source of new firmware, it’s really pointless anyway.

Is this for BMW?
      05-31-2024, 11:21 PM   #13142
berserker
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately, I never heard of this unit. Hopefully somebody else may have. I’m assuming that reaching out to the seller directly did not result in any assistance? I am assuming you already have the firmware if you’re looking for the pin. Because if you don’t have any source of new firmware, it’s really pointless anyway.

Is this for BMW?
Hi fe7565,

That's right. I tried to reach out the seller assistance, but I had no answer.
Regarding the firmware, I was thinking in use the universal custom firmware for NBT
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2024, 11:28 PM   #13143
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hi fe7565,

Regarding the firmware, I was thinking in use the universal custom firmware for NBT
Are you talking about the custom firmware that was developed/hacked by some members of this forum about three years ago?

If yes, the features in that one are already quite outdated. Also, you are assuming that the hardware is near identical. I would at least take a look inside your box and compare the photos on the first page.

And if you are attempting to use that custom firmware on your unit, you know that a chance of success is quite small. The only thing you would gain: if you have a unit right now that is broken and you were to throw it out, but you try to restore it, albeit with three-year-old features on it.
      05-31-2024, 11:47 PM   #13144
ADHD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Garage List
21 M540i  [0.00]
07 e90 335  [0.00]
Quote:
Hi fe7565,

I did google your unit and it does seem like a legit box although ive never seen it either... I copied the email address on the support page
E-mail: support04@ottocast.com
If thats not the email addy u already tried id give that a shot.. Where did u get this unit?
      05-31-2024, 11:59 PM   #13145
berserker
Registered
Rep

Quote:
I did google your unit and it does seem like a legit box although ive never seen it either... I copied the email address on the support page
E-mail: support04@ottocast.com
If thats not the email addy u already tried id give that a shot.. Where did u get this unit?
I bought it pre-owned here in Chile
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2024, 03:40 PM   #13146
TalkieToaster
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW F36

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to read through everything, but with over 500 pages, i thought it might be easier to just ask. I've got a 2019 F36 that i'm wanting to add Android Auto too.

I've found a couple sites, however one is basically double the cost of the other. On one of the first posts in this thread, i read that the expensive units are basically the same as the cheap units.

However, when i look at the expensive units page, it claims "In early 2024, we developed the ability to transfer audio from the IMI-1000 to the BMW system via the OEM Bluetooth channel. This mean that there is NO REQUIREMENT for aux activation in your system."

I've seen posts that say that, potentially, the units that use the AUX connection can have poor audio quality, does that mean that the most expensive unit no longer has that potential issue?

For reference, the two units i'm looking at, this one https://www.autoretrofits.co.Uk/carp...roid-auto-mmi/ which is £209

and then this one, which claims to not require the Aux https://integratedautomotive.co.Uk/p...-retrofit-kit/ but is nearly double the price at £495

I'm really sorry if this has already been answered, i did my best to check before posting, obviously i'm not keen to needlessly pay double if i don't need too/there's no benefit in doing so. I'm aware there's units on Alixpress etc.. But i'd rather buy from a UK site/seller so that i have a little more protection etc..

If it matters, i do have an AAWireless which i was using in my last car, but my understanding is that with either of the units i listed i won't need that for wireless AA.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2024, 05:23 PM   #13147
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkieToaster View Post
Hi everyone,

I've been trying to read through everything, but with over 500 pages, i thought it might be easier to just ask. I've got a 2019 F36 that i'm wanting to add Android Auto too.

I've found a couple sites, however one is basically double the cost of the other. On one of the first posts in this thread, i read that the expensive units are basically the same as the cheap units.

However, when i look at the expensive units page, it claims "In early 2024, we developed the ability to transfer audio from the IMI-1000 to the BMW system via the OEM Bluetooth channel. This mean that there is NO REQUIREMENT for aux activation in your system."

I've seen posts that say that, potentially, the units that use the AUX connection can have poor audio quality, does that mean that the most expensive unit no longer has that potential issue?

For reference, the two units i'm looking at, this one https://www.autoretrofits.co.Uk/carp...roid-auto-mmi/ which is £209

and then this one, which claims to not require the Aux https://integratedautomotive.co.Uk/p...-retrofit-kit/ but is nearly double the price at £495

I'm really sorry if this has already been answered, i did my best to check before posting, obviously i'm not keen to needlessly pay double if i don't need too/there's no benefit in doing so. I'm aware there's units on Alixpress etc.. But i'd rather buy from a UK site/seller so that i have a little more protection etc..

If it matters, i do have an [...]
None of the latest NBT or CIC Road Top and (I believe CIC) Andream MMIs need AUX mic setup. They all use Bluetooth. Most of these units are made by the same Chinese manufacturer and labeled with a different box or metal enclosure by various sellers who put their names on it and double or triple the price. Then they put their own pin code in it and a couple of lines of codes that will brick the unit if you install the same firmware by another seller.

I can’t tell you which seller to buy from in Europe. But here in America would only recommend Andream and Road Top as sellers for relatively low price and after sales support.
      06-01-2024, 05:54 PM   #13148
TalkieToaster
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
None of the latest NBT or CIC Road Top and (I believe CIC) Andream MMIs need AUX mic setup. They all use Bluetooth. Most of these units are made by the same Chinese manufacturer and labeled with a different box or metal enclosure by various sellers who put their names on it and double or triple the price. Then they put their own pin code in it and a couple of lines of codes that will brick the unit if you install the same firmware by another seller.

I can’t tell you which seller to buy from in Europe. But here in America would only recommend Andream and Road Top as sellers for relatively low price and after sales support.
Ah ok, so basically the two i linked are the same, it's just the more expensive one has done a better job of making itself sound more advanced than the other by emphasizing that it no longer requires the AUX input. I was a little unsure as while the more expensive one says it doesn't need Aux, somewhere on the page of the cheaper one it says "Notice
1) Before Purchase, please make sure that your car’s AUX is activated."

I've just searched and it looks like i can get an Andream box for around £231, so i'm tempted to go for that one as you clearly know a lot more about all of this than i do, so i'm inclined to go with your recommendations.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2024, 06:09 PM   #13149
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ah ok, so basically the two i linked are the same, it's just the more expensive one has done a better job of making itself sound more advanced than the other by emphasizing that it no longer requires the AUX input. I was a little unsure as while the more expensive one says it doesn't need Aux, somewhere on the page of the cheaper one it says "Notice
1) Before Purchase, please make sure that your car’s AUX is activated."

I've just searched and it looks like i can get an Andream box for around £231, so i'm tempted to go for that one as you clearly know a lot more about all of this than i do, so i'm inclined to go with your recommendations.
I would wait for someone from Europe to give their input as far as where to purchase it from. I can only speak to Andrem and Road Top because those are the two units that are discussed most on this thread.

There is a member Domih who used to be associated with selling Andream in Europe, may want to contact him. I don’t have any suggestions or preferences where you should buy it from. You can also reach out to those other sellers that you mentioned and ask them what is the difference between their units and the others.
      06-02-2024, 02:16 PM   #13150
dws199
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d M Sport 2014

I'm in the UK and bought mine from DroidUK for £205, this is the one https://droiduk.com/product/mmi-box/ and it's been really good for me so far. I believe it's a rebranded andream box
Appreciate 1
fe7565611.00
      06-02-2024, 02:21 PM   #13151
TalkieToaster
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I would wait for someone from Europe to give their input as far as where to purchase it from. I can only speak to Andrem and Road Top because those are the two units that are discussed most on this thread.

There is a member Domih who used to be associated with selling Andream in Europe, may want to contact him. I don’t have any suggestions or preferences where you should buy it from. You can also reach out to those other sellers that you mentioned and ask them what is the difference between their units and the others.
Ok, thanks for all the help.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2024, 02:22 PM   #13152
TalkieToaster
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dws199 View Post
I'm in the UK and bought mine from DroidUK for £205, this is the one https://droiduk.com/product/mmi-box/ and it's been really good for me so far. I believe it's a rebranded andream box
Brilliant, thanks for that, that's looking like what i'll go for, i assume that as you're happy with it the audio quality has been good and you've not had any issues with it losing connection or anything?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2024, 12:22 AM   #13153
dws199
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d M Sport 2014

Quote:
Brilliant, thanks for that, that's looking like what i'll go for, i assume that as you're happy with it the audio quality has been good and you've not had any issues with it losing connection or anything?
It's been solid for me, the only issues I've had are related to my phone (pixel 7) to do with it losing its Bluetooth pairing to the box every now and then but to re-pair it takes seconds.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2024, 07:51 PM   #13154
augustomoro
Registered
Rep
Drives: f30

Could someone please help me please

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustomoro View Post
Could someone help me identify the model of my interface.

I think it's a RoadTop (B-Version [NBT EVO ID5/ID6]) but I contacted them and they said it's not theirs.

I would like to update the firmware, if anyone could pass it on I would be eternally grateful

Attachment 3465495

Attachment 3465496
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2024, 10:27 PM   #13155
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Your PM box is full. Cannot send any messages.
      06-05-2024, 10:28 PM   #13156
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustomoro View Post
Could someone please help me please
I am not familiar with the EVO version of the MMIs, except what's on the first page. Hope someone else can help.