F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > EGR Recall - 335d
GetBMWParts

09-30-2018, 02:16 PM   #111
f1swk
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f31 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooded View Post
What's the manufacture date?
its 62 plate,one of the early tourings
      10-01-2018, 06:53 AM   #112
b16jsy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 535i N55 M-Sport 2011

Well my 2013 330d (124k miles) was in at Cooper BMW Sunderland on Friday for it's EGR inspection.
According to them, my EGR Cooler has a crack in it letting exhaust gasses escape, BUT this is not part of the recall campaign. They told me they are specifically looking for traces of coolant and coking up of the EGR cooler module itself, and when they inspected mine it was perfectly clear, so they can't replace it as part of the recall.
So although the part in question is faulty, they can't cover it's replacement FOC.
Just my luck!!
They are going to speak with BMW UK over the next day or two and find out if they can offer some sort of goodwill, but personally I doubt that will happen, will keep you updated....

Cheers
Joe
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 07:14 AM   #113
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1swk View Post
its 62 plate,one of the early tourings
It should be part of the recall then.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 07:30 AM   #114
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16jsy View Post
Well my 2013 330d (124k miles) was in at Cooper BMW Sunderland on Friday for it's EGR inspection.
According to them, my EGR Cooler has a crack in it letting exhaust gasses escape, BUT this is not part of the recall campaign. They told me they are specifically looking for traces of coolant and coking up of the EGR cooler module itself, and when they inspected mine it was perfectly clear, so they can't replace it as part of the recall.
So although the part in question is faulty, they can't cover it's replacement FOC.
Just my luck!!
They are going to speak with BMW UK over the next day or two and find out if they can offer some sort of goodwill, but personally I doubt that will happen, will keep you updated....

Cheers
Joe
I suggest you read post #99 in this thread. I understand that the author works for a BMW dealer and he believes that all EGR coolers from the affected period will be replaced, but they are prioritising ones which are leaking today, as they don't have a sufficient stock of coolers to do them all immediately.

If that's correct, you may have to wait a bit, but you should not have to pay anything.
Appreciate 1
      10-01-2018, 08:01 AM   #115
Harryg
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 4series Grand Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
I suggest you read post #99 in this thread. I understand that the author works for a BMW dealer and he believes that all EGR coolers from the affected period will be replaced, but they are prioritising ones which are leaking today, as they don't have a sufficient stock of coolers to do them all immediately.

If that's correct, you may have to wait a bit, but you should not have to pay anything.
Yeah just had the dealers on regarding my BMW and they say they have sent photos off to BMW and they are not going to replace the EGR at this time so another trip back to the dealers when they decide to replace it.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 10:14 AM   #116
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

Above seems to be the case. Mine is in Thursday and talking to them today I was advised that...

"Its the cooler we will be looking at to check that it has no leaks / fluid in it - If it is of the most up to date part number and is OK on inspection we will not change it" -

If it is an older part No. and OK we will order a new one and let you know when to come and have it changed. -

If it is faulty or with a leak or evidence of coolant (any part number) -we get a replacement as priority but keep your car with us (if we haven't got one to fit) and BMW give you a replacement car until it's repaired.

So lets see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 06:23 AM   #117
MDriver1
Rep
Drives: F30 330D

When the egr cooler is replaced is a software update required?

I ask as my car has a remap. I have seen one post in this thread from an owner who is also mapped and his seemed to have not been updated but further confirmation would be great.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 06:53 AM   #118
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDriver1 View Post
When the egr cooler is replaced is a software update required?

I ask as my car has a remap. I have seen one post in this thread from an owner who is also mapped and his seemed to have not been updated but further confirmation would be great.
Not if it's just the cooler replaced.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 03:16 PM   #119
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

I get the impression that BMW is winging it with this ("it's not a recall") recall.

Had another conversation with the supplying dealer today to try and get a still better understanding of the works, parts to be replaced, etc. It was still fuzzy in parts.

Cooler, and perhaps the EGR, will be removed for inspection. Will be cleaned if required (soot/sludge build-up). They are specifically looking for signs of cracking and/or leaks. BMW has supplied a photo reference pack to aid the evaluation.

If there's no sign of cracking and/or leaks, the cooler will be refitted.

If the cooler needed to be cleaned, the EGR (and potentially other components) will also be removed for visual inspection and/or cleaning. These may also be refitted.

The next bit was less precise.

Q : Why would BMW advise the refitting of parts to a vehicle where there has been a higher risk of failure and/or fire regarding vehicles within a specific manufacturing date range, and where the design and manufacture of those parts subsequently changed ?

A : It will all depend upon the results of the inspection, plus a consideration of the vehicle mileage.

Q : Does BMW accept that refitting inspected parts does not necessarily reduce the risk of failure and/or fire ? These old design parts could fail at any time.

A : Cooler failure would normally be preceded by indicative symptoms : loss of coolant; warning lights; odour. Cars do not suddenly burst into flames.

The answers also partly alluded to higher mileage cars potentially being more likely to have new design EGR and cooler fitted, but also no guarantee of that happening.

Basically, a lot of of if but and maybe.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 03:21 PM   #120
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

I get the impression that BMW is winging it with this ("it's not a recall") recall.

Had another conversation with the supplying dealer today to try and get a still better understanding of the works, parts to be replaced, etc. It was still fuzzy in parts.

Cooler, and perhaps the EGR, will be removed for inspection. Will be cleaned if required (soot/sludge build-up). They are specifically looking for signs of cracking and/or leaks. BMW has supplied a photo reference pack to aid the evaluation.

If the cooler needed to be cleaned, the EGR (and potentially other components) will also be removed for visual inspection and/or cleaning. These may also be refitted.

Q : Why would BMW advise the refitting of parts to a vehicle where there has been a higher risk of failure and/or fire regarding vehicles within a specific manufacturing date range, and where the design and manufacture of those parts subsequently changed ?

A : It will all depend upon the results of the inspection, plus a consideration of the vehicle mileage.

Q : Does BMW accept that refitting inspected parts does not necessarily reduce the risk of failure and/or fire ? These old design parts could fail at any time.

A : Cooler failure would normally be preceded by indicative symptoms : loss of coolant; warning lights; odour. Cars do not suddenly burst into flames.

Q : Will the car potentially be required at a later date to eventually fit new parts if this doesn't take place at the first visit ?

A : No real answer.

The answers also partly alluded to higher mileage cars potentially being more likely to have new design EGR and cooler fitted, but also no guarantee of that happening.

Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 12:47 AM   #121
330XDave
Major
Rep
Drives: 330d xDrive Touring

Just booked mine in at Stratstone Derby (god knows why based on past experiences). Earliest they can do it with a courtesy car is 6th November
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 06:00 AM   #122
Jim Bob
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post

Q : Will the car potentially be required at a later date to eventually fit new parts if this doesn't take place at the first visit ?

A : No real answer.

Basically there are several campaigns currently covering selected B47 and N57 BMW engine variants , depending on what campaign your particular vehicle has against it will determine what will be done now and possibly in the future.

It is messy I wont lie.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 06:00 AM   #123
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Mine is in today to be 'done' I'll let you know the result when I get it back, which I hope is quickly...... as the X2 118d is not particularly inspiring
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 06:24 AM   #124
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
Basically there are several campaigns currently covering selected B47 and N57 BMW engine variants , depending on what campaign your particular vehicle has against it will determine what will be done now and possibly in the future.

It is messy I wont lie.
I bet the Korean recall is less messy and there are no if's or but's when it comes to changing the parts!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 02:57 AM   #125
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Well the call from the garage yesterday was pleasing ' All good sir, no issues'

The EGR cooler was clear no cracks or signs of coolant, they cleaned it out anyway together with the pipe, replaced the gaskets and ready to go. I asked if it was one to be changed irrespective of condition and was told no as it is exactly the same as the replacement ones.

So my 330d is now on 60k miles and 2014, so good news in my book.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 03:34 AM   #126
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscoob View Post
Well the call from the garage yesterday was pleasing ' All good sir, no issues'

The EGR cooler was clear no cracks or signs of coolant, they cleaned it out anyway together with the pipe, replaced the gaskets and ready to go. I asked if it was one to be changed irrespective of condition and was told no as it is exactly the same as the replacement ones.

So my 330d is now on 60k miles and 2014, so good news in my book.
Did the current cooler come fitted to the car from the factory in 2014?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 04:32 AM   #127
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Anyone with a remap been in yet?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 04:34 AM   #128
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooded View Post
Did the current cooler come fitted to the car from the factory in 2014?
As best as I know yes. I bought the car 12 months old with 8K miles on it so would think so.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 04:51 AM   #129
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

There is a chance that our cars have a full software update as part of the EGR/cooler works, so I emailed Bimmercode to see whether backups could be loaded to restore coding.

Here's the reply :

"if the software is updated at the dealership it is not possible to restore the coding you did, since the backups will not be compatible with the updated software. You would have to redo all the coding you did before one by one."

So make a note of all the coding that you've done, and be prepared to do it again.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 05:01 AM   #130
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
Our 2104 530dGT (53k miles) is in at Coopers Cobham today for the EGR.

A fortnight ago it suddenly drank the contents of the reservoir, and since then the cabin has been getting wafts of diesel fumes. My missus noticed it before i did (my nose is pretty fucked from years of hayfever), but even I could smell it recently.

Did less than 100 miles and the reservoir was on minimum again.

BMW have advised me they have to inspect it first (concurs with others on here) and that due to the enormity of the problem and number of cars affected, the parts are on worldwide backorder and limited stock is available, so BMW are prioritising the worst cases first - and each car/case has to be submitted to BMW for approval before parts are released.

I left the kids seats in the back, so hopefully that will also emphasise we don't really want the kids breathing in diesel fumes in a confined space either.

Will report back later once I've heard from them.
      10-05-2018, 07:07 AM   #131
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Mines booked in for the 23rd, next available courtesy car slot, 2 others had called just before me about same issue!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 05:39 PM   #132
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

I caught a bit of a BBC Inside Out programme on Fords catching fire. Apparently their Ecoboost engines leak coolant, overheat and then catch fire. Ford’s solution is not to solve the leak, but to add an alarm to remind you to keep topping up the leaking coolant! Perhaps I won’t complain so much about BMW’s approach...
Appreciate 0