F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Avin USA 10.25 android system install DIY
Extreme Powerhouse

01-10-2018, 06:28 AM   #1365
madmunky
Private
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shouma View Post
I didnt get you Bozzern, so how the Avin unit sound output comes from your car?
+1

If you not using Bluetooth or Aux how are you outputting the sounds from the Avin unit...
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 06:35 AM   #1366
arainho
Rep
Drives: F32

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmunky View Post
This must be a problem with the GPS Units being supplied, I used a Y Splitter from the factory BMW GPS unit and have no problems with GPS Signal.

I would suggest buying a higher quality GPS reciever
Thanks. I bought my car without GPS option (with the small 6 inch screen), so, althought it has the GPS on the top roof, I think I cannot use a splitter as you did.
I saw the unit I mentioned above ebay uk, called "Adafruit GPS Antenna - External Active Antenna - 3-5V 28dB 5 Meter SMA [ADA960]", but I'm not sure if the unit can draw the current necessary for it to work and if it's compatible.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 06:50 AM   #1367
arainho
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jespers View Post
It is fast enough for me, very rarely am I waiting for a gps fix after TomTom Go starts up

I live in Cyprus, a very sunny place and the gps antenna for the Avin unit is sitting next to a gps antenna for my dash am that I had there for 18 months without any issues, so I don't expect any issues with this one, though it is winter here so it hasn't got much sun yet.
Thanks. I have already removed the unit from inside the A-pilar and instaled it on right side over the dashboard. I think it's working better, but perhaps I'm going to buy an active gps antena to see if it improves (in some cities with tall buildings it takes too long to fix ).

Last edited by arainho; 01-10-2018 at 10:19 AM.. Reason: (misspell)
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 09:59 AM   #1368
Bozzern
Rep
Drives: BMW 316D F30 M-Sport

Quote:
I didnt get you Bozzern, so how the Avin unit sound output comes from your car?

I dont have anything plugged into my aux.

My car does not have the green optical cable on the original unit, so i guess this has something to do with why i dont need to connect the aux cable.

Flac, Mp3 and Spotify extreme is superb quality in my car with this unit, so nothing to complain about for my part.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 10:02 AM   #1369
madmunky
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozzern View Post
I dont have anything plugged into my aux.

My car does not have the green optical cable on the original unit, so i guess this has something to do with why i dont need to connect the aux cable.

Flac, Mp3 and Spotify extreme is superb quality in my car with this unit, so nothing to complain about for my part.
Yours must be working the same way as mine then as I do not use the Aux cable but your car must still be set to Aux for the audio to output. While the sound is not un-usable it's nowhere close to the stock BMW quality.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 10:06 AM   #1370
Bozzern
Rep
Drives: BMW 316D F30 M-Sport

Quote:
Yours must be working the same way as mine then as I do not use the Aux cable but your car must still be set to Aux for the audio to output. While the sound is not un-usable it's nowhere close to the stock BMW quality.

Yes i have idrive set to AUX.
But the sound does not go trough the aux cable in the armrest.

I cant notice any difference compared to orgiginal unit.
But i dont have the HIFI system in my car either, maybe there would be a difference then.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 12:06 PM   #1371
arainho
Rep

I've seen some posts about poor sound quality and problems with Aux port and BT.

I’ll share my experience.
I think the sound is great.
At first there was a problem, someone already mentioned here: the sound from the Android system only lasted some seconds and then it stopped abruptly.
I had my iphone connected to the OEM BT and configured as a phone AND as audio device. I removed the connection of audio device and only maintained the phone and after that the android sound works fine.

Of course, if I change to the OEM idrive screen I get no more sound from the Android and vice-versa.
I also have the Aux front connection active although I don’t have any cable between the Android and the auxiliary arm port.

The connections made were only those showed in a youtube video by “BMW DIY Guy” called “Avin USA 10.25" BMW Android Multimedia Navigation System - BMW F32“.
I still use the connection of my phone to the OEM BT as I don’t like very much the one offered on the Android (perhaps I should check it better) and it’s easier as it is controlled by the idrive button.
I hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 01:05 PM   #1372
notsec
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

How does the voice assistant work in the ID6 UI? When I press to "voice assistant" tile, it writes "no device".
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 02:21 PM   #1373
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Am I the only person with a screen brightness problem on the iDrive side? Android is plenty bright but iDrive is dim and brightness adjustment fixed at 5 (50%)
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 04:54 PM   #1374
KevDon92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

Has anybody else had the iDrive side display “No signal” and the Android side be fine? The sound still plays through the iDrive side though using the steering wheel controls

Last edited by KevDon92; 01-10-2018 at 07:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 01:58 AM   #1375
madmunky
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul View Post
Am I the only person with a screen brightness problem on the iDrive side? Android is plenty bright but iDrive is dim and brightness adjustment fixed at 5 (50%)
Not heard of this, mines at 50% brightness and is the same brightness as the android side so to turn down either I have to use the android side which is really annoying as its way too bright at night without manually keep changing it.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 02:00 AM   #1376
madmunky
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevDon92 View Post
Has anybody else had the iDrive side display “No signal” and the Android side be fine? The sound still plays through the iDrive side though using the steering wheel controls
Is it intermittent or all the time? Check the iDrive video cable is connect correctly and not lose to the Avin display

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 07:57 AM   #1377
KevDon92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

Quote:
Is it intermittent or all the time? Check the iDrive video cable is connect correctly and not lose to the Avin display

It’s all the time.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 08:32 AM   #1378
Shouma
Enlisted Member
Egypt
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by arainho View Post
I've seen some posts about poor sound quality and problems with Aux port and BT.

I’ll share my experience.
I think the sound is great.
At first there was a problem, someone already mentioned here: the sound from the Android system only lasted some seconds and then it stopped abruptly.
I had my iphone connected to the OEM BT and configured as a phone AND as audio device. I removed the connection of audio device and only maintained the phone and after that the android sound works fine.

Of course, if I change to the OEM idrive screen I get no more sound from the Android and vice-versa.
I also have the Aux front connection active although I don’t have any cable between the Android and the auxiliary arm port.

The connections made were only those showed in a youtube video by “BMW DIY Guy” called “Avin USA 10.25" BMW Android Multimedia Navigation System - BMW F32“.
I still use the connection of my phone to the OEM BT as I don’t like very much the one offered on the Android (perhaps I should check it better) and it’s easier as it is controlled by the idrive button.
I hope this helps.
The DIY guy used AUX in his installation. He updated this info in his next review video about the unit below at 28:10

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 08:39 AM   #1379
stlb5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C MT, '15 X5 Msport

Quote:
The DIY guy used AUX in his installation. He updated this info in his next review video about the unit below at 28:10

I want to through this out there too. If you have a stock audio system, I can see where the audio quality may not be an issue for you. I have a 12" sub and it seemed like there was a low pass filter. There were parts of the bass of songs that was just missing. I didn't notice any difference on the treble end of the spectrum, but I only have the stock tweeters.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 08:41 AM   #1380
arainho
Rep

Quote:

Yes, you are right right, I didn't see that, but I know that the guy who instaled mine didn't pass any cable to connect to the aux in armrest (I only have a cable to the glove compartment with a USB port).
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 08:44 AM   #1381
arainho
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlb5 View Post
I want to through this out there too. If you have a stock audio system, I can see where the audio quality may not be an issue for you. I have a 12" sub and it seemed like there was a low pass filter. There were parts of the bass of songs that was just missing. I didn't notice any difference on the treble end of the spectrum, but I only have the stock tweeters.
Did you notice that in the sound menu (where you adjust the volume of Arm and OEM media and GPS) you can access a second menu where you can adjust bass and treble? Did you try any adjusts there?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 08:52 AM   #1382
stlb5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C MT, '15 X5 Msport

Quote:
Did you notice that in the sound menu (where you adjust the volume of Arm and OEM media and GPS) you can access a second menu where you can adjust bass and treble? Did you try any adjusts there?
Yes, I had the bass all the way up on both the Avin and BMW eq's.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 09:11 AM   #1383
Shouma
Enlisted Member
Egypt
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320i

Quote:
Yes, you are right right, I didn't see that, but I know that the guy who instaled mine didn't pass any cable to connect to the aux in armrest (I only have a cable to the glove compartment with a USB port).
Is there any chance to contact him and let us know what he did in the audio part?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 09:48 AM   #1384
madmunky
Private
Rep

Quote:
Is there any chance to contact him and let us know what he did in the audio part?
This is the same as mine, also in the video he said he ran an Aux Extension cable so I believe he means as an input to the Avin unit rather than an output.

raichean is on the forum so maybe he can confirm what he did and why
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 11:31 AM   #1385
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
This is the same as mine, also in the video he said he ran an Aux Extension cable so I believe he means as an input to the Avin unit rather than an output.

raichean is on the forum so maybe he can confirm what he did and why
Hey yall.. so when I originally ran the AUX cable, I thought it was for an additional input, since I had sound without running it to my AUX port. I didn't know you NEEDED to when I did the installation. It was a surprise to hear folks had to run it, and was a shock when I helped with another install and needed to run it. I still cant explain why I, and a few others, don't have to do so candidly.

So.. I believe it is OUTPUT not input, like I thought it was originally.
'Lillith' F87 M2 Competition Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 11:49 AM   #1386
madmunky
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raichean View Post
Hey yall.. so when I originally ran the AUX cable, I thought it was for an additional input, since I had sound without running it to my AUX port. I didn't know you NEEDED to when I did the installation. It was a surprise to hear folks had to run it, and was a shock when I helped with another install and needed to run it. I still cant explain why I, and a few others, don't have to do so candidly.

So.. I believe it is OUTPUT not input, like I thought it was originally.
Sorry, I'm confused when you didn't use it did you get sound or did it all work without the Aux cable if it did work why did you then run it anyways?
Appreciate 0