F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Plug and Play Amp upgrade for Base Audio system
ARMA SPEED

04-27-2024, 04:18 PM   #133
NealfromNZ
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

BimmerCode have a quick config to change coding from Base Audio or Base audio using ASD.

You can also code to Harman Kardon profile under expert mode and still run analogue setup without enabling MOST fibre.

Base audio/ base audio ASD to hifi

Note , BimmerCode will not code a idrive unit that’s been retro- coded for CarPlay unless it’s Idrive 6 and uses BMW enabled CarPlay codes.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Billfitz8621.00
      05-07-2024, 01:18 PM   #134
eliteimporter
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 320D

Hi guys I need help I installed this last weekend and everything is working but ive got an issue where I can’t store the time or date on my drive, has anyone else had this at all?

Also did you connect the earth wire I read it as I didn’t need to as one using the iso connector
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 06:39 PM   #135
Zinny
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d (2012, F30)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliteimporter View Post
Hi guys I need help I installed this last weekend and everything is working but ive got an issue where I can’t store the time or date on my drive, has anyone else had this at all?

Also did you connect the earth wire I read it as I didn’t need to as one using the iso connector
You need to transfer over the MOST connector.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 09:42 AM   #136
Zinny
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d (2012, F30)

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odaxxi View Post
I haven’t yet purchased the amp solely because I’m not sure if it’ll work! I mean I’m sure there’s a way, I’m just not smart enough to figure it out.
Let us know if you’re able to make it work, it seems there’s a few of us in the same situation
Odaxxi I bit the bullet and bought the Vibe Amp, I'm happy to say it works flawlessly with the MMI; it hijacks the same quadlock connector so you can just daisy chain them.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2024, 10:03 AM   #137
feralejav
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 535iA xdrive (F10)

Good afternoon,

Did you put the mmi box after the HU and after the mmi the vibe powerbox or the other way round?

Option 1.- HU -> MMI BOX-->VIBE POWER--> CAR CONNECTOR

Option 2.- HU-> VIBE POWER-> MMI BOX--> CAR CONNECTOR

Thank you very much
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2024, 02:35 PM   #138
Manof
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw f30

Thank you for your post, reading your post drove me to deciding to add an amp first too.

Today I fitted pionner gm-1004dm, it was only 100 dollars with 45w RMS X4. It certainly woke the music up a bit, for the first time I felt under seat 😅. Not a plug and play install but I had an extension for my Android unit, so I just repined it with amp harness. Not complicated.

I have two questions if anyone knows.

What dose coding the hu to hifi dose?

And which settings you coded in bimmer code to change that, the hifi retrofit option or something in expert mode.

Thank you in advance.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2024, 02:47 PM   #139
Manof
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feralejav View Post
Good afternoon,

Did you put the mmi box after the HU and after the mmi the vibe powerbox or the other way round?

Option 1.- HU -> MMI BOX—>VIBE POWER—> CAR CONNECTOR

Option 2.- HU-> VIBE POWER-> MMI BOX—> CAR CONNECTOR

Thank you very much
I would certainly go with options 1, amp should be the last. I did it in that order.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2024, 03:48 AM   #140
shurensly93
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manof View Post
I would certainly go with options 1, amp should be the last. I did it in that order.
Heey there, do you by any chance hace a guide or some sort for me? i want to purchase an android radio and also the amplifier. But no clue on how to pair these 2 together. Are you able to draw me like a diagram or send some pics about the install? Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2024, 04:16 AM   #141
Manof
No_Country
Rep

Do you have the base audio system?

If so its not so complicated, when buying an Android system you will receive a T harness in the box which essentially taps into power and ground, aux and front left speaker just passes through the unit for some reason, I believe it's for triggering some things, the rest of speakers pass through without going to the android system.

In the other words android system sends audio to factory HU through aux and factory unit amplifis the sound and sending it to the speakers.

What I did was modifing the android t-harness, to save money on buying second harness. You need to cut the speaker wires on the harness as you want to intercept the signal with amplifier.

The side that connects to the head unit will be amp input (hi-input) and the side that goes to the car amp out. If you are using same amp as mine you can power your amp with from same harness but if something more powerfull, from battery. Also my amp doesn't require a trigger wire as it turns on with detecting signal from left front speaker. Also it fits behind the dash 😊( Pioneer gm-d1004)

Here are some pics and Pinout of factoy hedunit, it looks more complicated than it is, it took me around 3 hrs for entire projects
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2024, 04:17 AM   #142
Manof
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shurensly93 View Post
Quote:
Heey there, do you by any chance hace a guide or some sort for me? i want to purchase an android radio and also the amplifier. But no clue on how to pair these 2 together. Are you able to draw me like a diagram or send some pics about the install? Thanks in advance
I replied above
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2024, 04:29 PM   #143
feralejav
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 535iA xdrive (F10)

Good night,

Did you take the amplifier power from pins 12 and 15?

Thanks and greetings
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2024, 04:56 AM   #144
jamesey
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 320d f31

hi , ive bought the vibe optisound kit for my f31 that consistes of 2 subs a plug and play amp and 2 front door speakers with tweeters , ive fitted the amp and subs first and ran with stock door speakers for a few months but the fronts were crackling and ready to give way when the volume was cranked up so last night i fitted to 2 door speakers and tweeters ....even though it sounds a lot clearer and better when loud volume id added i still get the front speakers distorting and ready to pop , does anyone else have this with the vibe set up
whats the best way to split the subs from the front doors
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2024, 07:42 AM   #145
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

The under seats and doors must be separately powered, with an electronic crossover assigning the frequencies.
Appreciate 1
      09-07-2024, 06:02 AM   #146
crislink
Rep
Drives: F30

Hello everyone, base audio F31 without amp. Bought a vibe 65.4 BMW amp, waiting to arrive.
I want to buy also a set of speakers and I'm between

- FOCAL ISBMW100L 2x tweeters 2x mid
- VIBE OPTISOUND 2x tweeters 2x mid 2x woofers

I'm not a fan of super deep or bumpy bass, should I leave the original subs in place instead of buying a pair? I'm also NOT going to buy a second amp only for the subs, so if am not getting any improvement without separate amplification I'll go for FOCAL. What do you reccomend?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2024, 10:32 AM   #147
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

The best deals for upgrading base speakers are used Hi-fi and H-K speakers, replaced with silly over priced 3rd party speakers because their owners believed the advertising hype.

But as for the base 6.5 inch underseats if you don't replace them with 8 inch you might as well not bother with a separate amp.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2024, 02:36 AM   #148
inigoale
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw f30 328d 150cv lci

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesey View Post
hi , ive bought the vibe optisound kit for my f31 that consistes of 2 subs a plug and play amp and 2 front door speakers with tweeters , ive fitted the amp and subs first and ran with stock door speakers for a few months but the fronts were crackling and ready to give way when the volume was cranked up so last night i fitted to 2 door speakers and tweeters ....even though it sounds a lot clearer and better when loud volume id added i still get the front speakers distorting and ready to pop , does anyone else have this with the vibe set up
whats the best way to split the subs from the front doors
Hi. With Bimmercode, encode the base audio to HiFi and you should notice an improvement.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2024, 04:17 AM   #149
NealfromNZ
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by crislink View Post
Hello everyone, base audio F31 without amp. Bought a vibe 65.4 BMW amp, waiting to arrive.
I want to buy also a set of speakers and I'm between

- FOCAL ISBMW100L 2x tweeters 2x mid
- VIBE OPTISOUND 2x tweeters 2x mid 2x woofers

I'm not a fan of super deep or bumpy bass, should I leave the original subs in place instead of buying a pair? I'm also NOT going to buy a second amp only for the subs, so if am not getting any improvement without separate amplification I'll go for FOCAL. What do you reccomend?
I’d tend to drop in new speakers unless you can find late model second had speakers from a coolish climate. Some of the F series speaker which will fit will mean some speaker drivers will be getting to 14 years old. Just look carefully when buying second hand that the surrounds are looking ok. Also ask that the tweeters are still working . If they can’t state , move on to the next set. Look for heat marks / discolouration. Have seen speakers on eBay that clearly where the vehicle has clearly been in a fire ( BMW B&W for example )

If replacing the underseat (base 6.5s are quite boomy ) do realise that the underseat and door speakers are run passive as a set.
It’s worth putting at least a bass blocker / capacitor in line on the door components with that amp if swapping out to an 8 inch underseat.. With those door choices put something like 330 uf capacitor on the front components. Will reduce the distortion from the door speakers by taking out the low bass and leaving that to the underseats.

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/ci451-bass-blockers.html See chart at bottom of this page.

https://www.parts-express.com/330uF-...374?quantity=1

If you go with aftermarket Focal inside run the crossover at -3db if using factory tweeter sail mounts. Otherise if you go coaxial door only speakers leave that at 0db. On the rear doors just set the vibe amp to Lpf to 80hz which is a bit low , but better than nothing.
I think you’ll find you’ll get a slightly better crossover that what is supplied with BMW speaker on the tweeter.

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2024, 01:42 PM   #150
Manof
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmayur View Post
I think I have stuck gold here!
I was desperately searching this topic of connecting android head unit to amplifier!!
My question is do you need a working oem head unit to accomplish the above thing? My head unit is frozen on bmw logo screen, not getting sound even after shifting optic fiber cable and using aux input.
My oem head unit is hu entry, sound system hi fi i guess, dont know how to check of base or hi fi.vin decoder showing hi fi.

Please please help me on this as this os the only post where I found a hint of a solution to my problem.

1. Have you tried disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes and see if will work as a hard reset and unfreeze?

2. Do you hear the gong and parking sensors?

3. You need a working head unit, not for the reason you think though. It is posible to completely bypass the factory head unit for music, but you there won't be a gong for errors, maybe no parking sensor beep too.

4. We need to figure out what system you have
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2024, 01:44 PM   #151
Manof
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
1. Have you tried disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes and see if will work as a hard reset and unfreeze?

2. Do you hear the gong and parking sensors?

3. You need a working head unit, not for the reason you think though. It is posible to completely bypass the factory head unit for music, but you there won't be a gong for errors, maybe no parking sensor beep too.

4. We need to figure out what system you have
Do you have tweeters on front doors ?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2024, 08:55 AM   #152
Manof
No_Country
Rep

I can confirm you have the hifi system, base has no amp, hK writes that on tweeters, top hifi amp has fiber optics.

The easiest, cheapest solution to your problem is to look at the part number on the head unit and find a used one. Here is eu you can easily find one under 100 dollars. Plenty of crashed bimmers after each winter 😀.

The second one to intercept the wires going from hu to amp and connect the output of android to it. It is only two channel so you need to connect front and back for each side together.

If this works or not depends on if the amp turns on. (Do you hear the gong from door speakers? Or your android head unit has an extra speaker that makes the noise.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2024, 11:03 AM   #153
crislink
Rep
Drives: F30

just for who is looking for infos
have BASE AUDIO f31 2016 EUROPE

- bought tweeter trims, installed FOCAL isbmw100l kit (two mid, two tweeters). Improvement but not consistent, overly bright / trebly even with -3dB tweeter crossover, tried some coding , more or less the same
- installed VIBE POWERBOX 65.4 in daisy chain with and android HU. What a change, sure I will go first with an amp if you are lacking one, then will go with speakers.

Satisfied but I'm still trying to look for the best coding solution (Hifi or stereo or HK etc etc and its variants)

I can feel the underseat much more and I'm pretty satisfied with the bass so I am not going to update underseat woofer anytime.

I think the gain in the amp should be set around 60/70% because I hear the gong at start too loud with a 90% setting
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2024, 11:29 AM   #154
Manof
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feralejav View Post
Good night,

Did you take the amplifier power from pins 12 and 15?

Thanks and greetings
Sorry for late reply, yes I did. For my amp it was sufficient
Appreciate 0