F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Android 11 / 12 /13 HU discussion
ARMA SPEED

06-17-2023, 04:42 PM   #1673
DRMCEO
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw M5

Has anyone found a dashcam app that uses the gps from the headunit and works with a usb dash cam? Tried several and none recognize the camera.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2023, 10:12 PM   #1674
mrdavidgeo
Registered
Rep
Drives: E46, q7

Changing split screen image

Hey Guys,
Has anyone managed to successfully change the default split screen image when using the cars original functions? I'm stuck with this speedo and it's killing me! Running A11 s662
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Cheers
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2023, 10:52 AM   #1675
vkocheganov
Rep
Drives: bmw f30

Helo everyone!

Does any one knows this problem:

Have installed KSW-TOOLKIT apk from https://github.com/Snaggly/KSW-ToolK...ses/tag/v1.2.1.

However after instalation there is no icon of the app.

Kind regards,
Vlad
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2023, 12:11 PM   #1676
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E63 645Ci

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdavidgeo View Post
Hey Guys,
Has anyone managed to successfully change the default split screen image when using the cars original functions? I'm stuck with this speedo and it's killing me! Running A11 s662
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Cheers
You cannot change that image. It's not part of the Android system but the MCU. MCU files can be technically modified but for practical reasons it's impossible.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2023, 12:12 PM   #1677
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkocheganov View Post
Helo everyone!

Does any one knows this problem:

Have installed KSW-TOOLKIT apk from https://github.com/Snaggly/KSW-ToolK...es/tag/v1.2.1.

However after instalation there is no icon of the app.

Kind regards,
Vlad
You didn't download the client. This app requires both the client and service, you've only downloaded the service.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2023, 10:49 AM   #1678
vkocheganov
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedErik View Post
You didn't download the client. This app requires both the client and service, you've only downloaded the service.
Thanks RedErik for help!

Appreciate!

As I understand I had downloaded the client (please find attachment)

should I download Source code folders?

Kind regards,
Vlad
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2023, 10:52 AM   #1679
vkocheganov
Rep

Quote:
Hi every one!

Tried to find guide on how to get root rights for snapdraggon 662 A11, but couldn find any

Is there a way to obtain root rights?

I found only the way how to do it on A10, here is the link https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=659

P.S. i need to chenge TTL (time to live) parameter on HU, in order to share internet for free from my mobile phone (recently my mobile operator made a charge)

Thanks for help
I mean should i try the way how to root A10 SD625?
or there is another guide how to root A11 SD 662&

Kind regards,
Vlad
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2023, 10:58 AM   #1680
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks RedErik for help!

Appreciate!

As I understand I had downloaded the client (please find attachment)

should I download Source code folders?

Kind regards,
Vlad
Source code is exactly what is says it is: the source code (how the app is written). If you want to inspect it, add something or modify it then by all means download it and have a go. Other than that you don't need it.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2023, 12:23 PM   #1681
vkocheganov
Rep

Quote:
Well if you don't use your controller for anything else then I guess this is some kind of a solution (you're clearly not using my keyboard 🤣 ). The only problem with that will be dual action in Android. If you rotate left for example, you will not only decrease volume with your Tasker scrip, but also trigger typical for Android behaviour and response to a KeyCode being sent. Tasker doesn't allow you to "reprogram" your buttons but to assign a second function to them, so each button / action would have 2 function.

As for the Tasker itself, I have no clue. I opened Tasker only once in my life, played with it for 3min and closed to never open again. However as an app developer I noticed that Tasker script is not that far from writing code in Java using Android APIs. Having that in mind, typical Java code to handle any KeyEvents would look something like that:

@Override
public boolean onKeyUp(int keyCode, KeyEvent event) {
switch (keyCode) {
case KeyEvent.KEYCODE_DPAD_DOWN:
volume(DOWN);
return true;
case KeyEvent.KEYCODE_DPAD_UP:
volume(UP);
return true;
case KeyEvent.KEYCODE_DPAD_LEFT:
screenBrightness(INCREASE);
return true;
case KeyEvent.KEYCODE_DPAD_RIGHT:
screenBrightness(DECREASE);
return true;
default:
return false;
}
}

@Override - this declaration tells Android that you will handle what comes next, not the system
public boolean - public (i.e. seen system wide) ture/false value
onKeyUp - function that handles button when you release it (as opposed to when you press it as these are two different events)
int - integer (number valve) of KeyCode
event - name of KeyEvent (like KEYCODE_DPAD_UP)
switch / case - bigger 'if / then' statement
volume(direction) - another function that you would have to write to handle volume control
screenBrightness(direction) - another function that you would have to write to handle screen brightness
return true - confirmation that you have handled the event
return false - you let Android handle any other events than stated in your onKeyUp code

From Tasker perspective you can ignore @Override and definitely structure of the script will be different. Instead of creating your own function for volume and brightest, you can pull them directly from Tasker's library.
Finaly, i managed to make control over sound level using Ksw-toolkit after ages of unsuccessful tryes using many apps similar to Tasker (thanks again for your help on how to install Ksw-Toolkit).

Unfortunately, only maneged to assign Idrive knob (turn left\right) for now.
I have attached video file to show how it works (have changed the format to PDF in order to upload it, in order to see the video format should be changed back to .mp4 back).

Mabe there is a way how to make Android to see volume up and down buttons press on steerong wheel?

May be there is correct MCU?

I have HU_Entry, and using NBT CAN protocol how is on picture:

Kind Regards,
Vlad
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf video52244032654409850191.pdf (7.06 MB, 73 views)
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2023, 12:51 PM   #1682
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Mabe there is a way how to make Android to see volume up and down buttons press on steerong wheel?

May be there is correct MCU?
No, it was never intended to be used in this way. Steering wheel button will always control the OEM volume and only the OEM volume. It is not possible to assign them to control Android volume for 2 reasons:
1. This was never intended and the MCU doesn't listen for these specific CAN packets.
2. It doesn't make any sense for stock configuration. In this case if you had these buttons assigned to Android volume, they would control Android volume and(!) OEM volume at the same time. That would result in a complete chaos and lack of real control over any audio signal.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2023, 01:05 PM   #1683
vkocheganov
Rep

Quote:
No, it was never intended to be used in this way. Steering wheel button will always control the OEM volume and only the OEM volume. It is not possible to assign them to control Android volume for 2 reasons:
1. This was never intended and the MCU doesn't listen for these specific CAN packets.
2. It doesn't make any sense for stock configuration. In this case if you had these buttons assigned to Android volume, they would control Android volume and(!) OEM volume at the same time. That would result in a complete chaos and lack of real control over any audio signal.
Thanks RedEric for deep explanation.
Just wandered, because there is an option in Ksw-Toolkit to assign volume buttons on steering wheel.

buy the way, may be you know how to root A11 SD662?

Kind regards,
Vlad
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2023, 02:44 PM   #1684
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
buy the way, may be you know how to root A11 SD662?
The same way as A10. However some user reported issues with this method. What issues and why it doesn't work, well I don't know that. Also I can't check it myself as I don't have A11 unit.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 01:48 AM   #1685
Nour.Evo
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90/ Bmwx2 F39

Hello bmw friends,

I have an X4 from 2016 with Business navi (Entrynav) and would like to retrofit Android system. At all dealers there are only 2 variants to choose from (CIC 4pin plug or nbt 6pin-plug).

Can you tell me which one is the right one for my car? On my navi version it‘s:

Road Map EUROPE Route
2016-1
RL_EntryNav_Nav_|16293A

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 02:47 AM   #1686
Ace.
Rep
Drives: BMW E61 525i

Garage List
2004 BMW E61  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nour.Evo View Post
Hello bmw friends,

I have an X4 from 2016 with Business navi (Entrynav) and would like to retrofit Android system. At all dealers there are only 2 variants to choose from (CIC 4pin plug or nbt 6pin-plug).

Can you tell me which one is the right one for my car? On my navi version it‘s:

Road Map EUROPE Route
2016-1
RL_EntryNav_Nav_|16293A

Thank you
2016 X4 should be EVO system, CIC 4PIN & NBT 6PIN will not work.
check this.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 11:48 AM   #1687
vkocheganov
Rep

Quote:
The same way as A10. However some user reported issues with this method. What issues and why it doesn't work, well I don't know that. Also I can't check it myself as I don't have A11 unit.
Hi, RedErik

Unfortunately this method doesn't work for me (

had tried, but in the end occures some error:

Kind regards,
Vlad
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 03:34 PM   #1688
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Hi, RedErik

Unfortunately this method doesn't work for me (

had tried, but in the end occures some error:

Kind regards,
Vlad
It says right there: device offline. At some point you lost connection with the headunit.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2023, 09:04 AM   #1689
smahel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MINI Cooper, 2020 X1

Garage List
Android 11 or 12 cannot be rooted with SuperSU. Topjohnwu is no longer in development, further develops Magisk. So it can be rooted using Magisk. First, you need to extract the boot.img from the corresponding payload.bin, edit it in Android with Magisk.apk , and then flash it via fastboot. It works without a problem.

Last edited by smahel; 06-21-2023 at 09:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2023, 10:39 AM   #1690
vkocheganov
Rep

Quote:
It says right there: device offline. At some point you lost connection with the headunit.
I dont know...

It conected normaly at the beggining...started the procedure, after device reboot it showed this errors.

Any way thanks for help
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2023, 10:52 AM   #1691
vkocheganov
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smahel View Post
Android 11 or 12 cannot be rooted with SuperSU. Topjohnwu is no longer in development, further develops Magisk. So it can be rooted using Magisk. First, you need to extract the boot.img from the corresponding payload.bin, edit it in Android with Magisk.apk , and then flash it via fastboot. It works without a problem.
Ohh, thanks for guiding Smahel!

Can you please share link with detaled guide?
Don't know for now how to extrackt boot.img and where is payload.bin and, accordingly, the next steps you mentioned.

Just a bit confusedwhat you are saying, because here: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1699764

is written in red not to use Magisk to root

Kind regards,
Vlad
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2023, 02:03 PM   #1692
smahel
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
And that's why I won't give any DIY. You have to know what you are doing and why you are doing it. It's easy to brick a rooted HU, and it doesn't matter much whether it's Magisk or SuperSU rooted. (for A11 and A12 and A13, etc. you have more or less no other option than Magisk). First of all, you must have access to the Volume - button, otherwise don't even try to root. A nice photo of such a button is on Discord. :-) . If you install it and run it, you can only try to root.
Appreciate 2
Kri1080.50
RedErik1089.00
      06-22-2023, 12:40 PM   #1693
vkocheganov
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smahel View Post
And that's why I won't give any DIY. You have to know what you are doing and why you are doing it. It's easy to brick a rooted HU, and it doesn't matter much whether it's Magisk or SuperSU rooted. (for A11 and A12 and A13, etc. you have more or less no other option than Magisk). First of all, you must have access to the Volume - button, otherwise don't even try to root. A nice photo of such a button is on Discord. :-) . If you install it and run it, you can only try to root.
Shmahel, thanks for guiding and your time spent!

Thats true, don't really understand what I am trying to do, but at least (as I think) i know why i need this :-)

I only need to change TTL (time to live) parameter from 64 to 65 on my HU, in order to be able to share internet from mobile phone without extra charges from my operator (I am fed up from him... constantly increases monthly charges).

So this is more like fighting against the system :-)

Yes, i understand that I can simply buy another sim card and install it into the android, etc... But having number of phones to pay for (wife, daughter, parents) together with many subscriptions and ofcoure mortgage, etc... together comes something heavy for me.

Besides the change of TTL don't realy need root rights. Moreover, haven't updated android since i bought it in jan 2021 (still on v 1.5.2) because everything works fine for me with help of RedErik (apart new problem, caused by mobile operator).

Before that just did some coding of F30 (easy beacause lots of info online) and mostly hardware things like amplifires, speakers, PCB in the stearing wheel, star ceiling and instalation of HU by my self.

At least wanted to give a try before giving up.

P.S. did you ment this photo from Discord (in attachment)?

If yes, I think It is possible to do that (at least know some electricians that may help)

The question is, wheter i can do that button after the try, I mean if i brick HU??
And if try will be successfull, after i change the TTL is it possible to remove root right back and delete Magist not to be at risk to brick HU, whether the TTL will remain the same as I want (65)?

Kind regards,
Vlad
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2023, 03:29 PM   #1694
smahel
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Yes, that's the picture. The button connects the Volume- on the SOC to ground and if you hold it and connect the HU to power, you will get into recovery so you can revive your bricked HU
Appreciate 0