F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Test drive a Tesla….
Extreme Powerhouse

10-22-2023, 01:19 AM   #1959
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB118D View Post
MashinBenzin

You can use “Hey Siri” for dictating texts on the fly. Works via the Bluetooth connection when your iPhone is connected
Thanks. I do do that, but its seemed less reliable to me, often not picking up even. Is it definitely via the Bluetooth and in car mic? Due to the distraction/frustration, I basically don't dictate texts in the Tesla.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2023, 04:19 AM   #1960
DB118D
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118d Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
Thanks. I do do that, but its seemed less reliable to me, often not picking up even. Is it definitely via the Bluetooth and in car mic? Due to the distraction/frustration, I basically don't dictate texts in the Tesla.
I'm sure it is. When my iPhone is linked via bluetooth and I use Hey Siri, it comes up on the car display like a phone call
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2023, 08:56 AM   #1961
cramsnik
Crustacean denier
Rep
Drives: M3LR

Popped into the local Tesla dealership today and noticed they had a LHD Higland in the showroom. Had a very quick poke around while I was waiting and initial thoughts are it feels a lot more premium. More in keeping with a car in that price range.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
KCH1984967.00
JustChris17634.50
      11-04-2023, 06:20 AM   #1962
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [9.25]
IX  [8.67]
How can a prospective budget ev hunter say no to this
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2023, 04:06 PM   #1963
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

But just look at the interior.

Steering wheel. Dull.
Dash. Plain. Dull.
Centre console. Barren. Dull.
It's got a touchscreen (for fucking everything). Dangerous. And dull.

The whole thing looks like a concept sketch, which was never developed to the point of adding anything.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 5
SkyJawa3641.00
Pentland2117.00
KRS_SN14258.50
JustChris17634.50
dave550i125.50
      11-04-2023, 04:25 PM   #1964
tjlees
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 Chav Mobile

Better than the stripper light package...

However I too found the Tesla a little underwhelming and a 'touch' challenging
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2023, 06:35 PM   #1965
G50
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjlees View Post
Better than the stripper light package...

However I too found the Tesla a little underwhelming and a 'touch' challenging
But that's been coded to look like that, and can be changed/dimmed.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2023, 02:36 AM   #1966
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Caterham 420R. Tesla Model 3

I also got to have a look around a Highland Model 3 last week.

I was impressed - a good step on from the current TM3.

I'm just waiting for it to help drop prices of 2022 M3Ps down closer to the Ł30k mark. In fact, I'm off to test drive a M3P today.
Attached Images

F31 340i | GS with CR & Ash Grain Trim | M Sport+ Pack | Prof Media Plus Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Leather Dash | Folding Mirrors | Pano Roof | Elec Mem Seats with Lumbar | Adaptive Suspension | Comfort Access | Reverse Cam | Surround View | SLD | Rear Sunblinds | Folding Headrests | Model Designation Delete | Trim Designation Delete | MPPSK
Appreciate 1
JustChris17634.50
      11-05-2023, 02:38 AM   #1967
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post

Steering wheel. Dull.
Dash. Plain. Dull.

The whole thing looks like a concept sketch, which was never developed to the point of adding anything.
Ha ha, you're going to have to commit and buy a new car some day Ian !!
F31 340i | GS with CR & Ash Grain Trim | M Sport+ Pack | Prof Media Plus Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Leather Dash | Folding Mirrors | Pano Roof | Elec Mem Seats with Lumbar | Adaptive Suspension | Comfort Access | Reverse Cam | Surround View | SLD | Rear Sunblinds | Folding Headrests | Model Designation Delete | Trim Designation Delete | MPPSK
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2023, 05:53 AM   #1968
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [9.25]
IX  [8.67]
That light strip does match the interior for the easily pleased.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2023, 07:43 AM   #1969
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant_7 View Post
Ha ha, you're going to have to commit and buy a new car some day Ian !!
No chance

Mine is just back from the workshop (yesterday) with a full suspension swap, plus some new components and a change in geo.

It’s FINALLY quiet (if you’ve not seen my Posts and comments on other sub-forums, it’s been an absolute nightmare for years) and I can now drive with a smile rather than a scowl.

The engine is running sweeter than ever, it handles really well for a non-M car, and it can hustle.

No way I’m changing it.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
Grant_72088.00
      11-05-2023, 07:55 AM   #1970
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post

Steering wheel. Dull.
Dash. Plain. Dull.

I’ll agree with all of that. It’s just a ruthlessly efficient drivetrain that’s still about 20-30% ahead of the competition and for less money.

It’s the choice if you’re happy with a utility car that does A to B.

One thing though, I do prefer the steering wheel thickness and feel on Tesla’s. It’s smaller diameter too. MSport wheels feel rather truck like in diameter to me when I jumped back in the Z4. Otherwise yes, hands down ze Germans interiors etc are far superior….but you pay your money and take the choice like always 👍🏻
      11-05-2023, 08:00 AM   #1971
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
I’ll agree with all of that. It’s just a ruthlessly efficient drivetrain that’s still about 20-30% ahead of the competition and for less money.

It’s the choice if you’re happy with a utility car that does A to B.

One thing though, I do prefer the steering wheel thickness and feel on Tesla’s. It’s smaller diameter too. MSport wheels feel rather truck like in diameter to me when I jumped back in the Z4. Otherwise yes, hands down ze Germans interiors etc are far superior….but you pay your money and take the choice like always 👍🏻
Definitely a case of ETTO.

I admire the performance and range, apparently they handle ok, the subtle changes to the bodywork makes the M3 much more acceptable to my eyes, but I simply couldn’t live with a ‘driving simulator’ cockpit on a daily basis.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2023, 09:00 AM   #1972
Bryans69
Major
Rep
Drives: TT, EV6, MGB, VW Camper

Garage List
Been reading / watching a few reviews, and general consensus seems to be it's like the old one, but bit better ride, bit quieter, bit nicer inside, and a bit more efficient. The one thing that seems to be criticised consistently is the move to indicators on the steering wheel, especially when trying to use on a roundabout.

Whilst I know no-one uses indicators anymore, and it's obviously a cost thing, it seems they aren't really doing anything to entice those that don't like the minimalist approach, which is kind of strange given that competition is getting stronger.

That said, agree with JustChris that they are still comfortably ahead with the drivetrain. Just a shame they can't sort out the looks.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 03:41 AM   #1973
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
That light strip does match the interior for the easily pleased.
You can change it to any colour you wish.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 04:12 AM   #1974
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Seeing as this is a 'Test Drive a Tesla' thread, I thought I'd add a test drive.

Having been thinking about G31s and then subsequently ruling them out, combined with a few recent very enjoyable drives in my TM3 RWD, the obvious dawned upon me: why not just buy a used Tesla Model 3?!

I've really enjoyed my two single motor company cars (2020 SR+ followed by my current 2023 RWD), they've been completely reliable and cost buttons to run.

So I've started looking at Dual Motor variants. I've driven a Long Range but, to be honest, if I'm parting with my own money then I'd like something a bit more special. So it would have to be the Performance. My only concern being the ride on those 20" wheels.

I arranged a test drive for a Model 3 Performance (M3P) yesterday and took my older Son along for the ride. Well, we got more than we bargained for...in a good way!

Upon arrival they confirmed the test drive but also asked if we'd driven a Model Y. No was the answer so they offered us a 30 min drive in a Model Y Performance (MYP), to then be followed by the M3P test drive.

I drove both cars back-to-back over the same roads and thoroughly enjoyed exploring their acceleration to the full. Happy to answer any questions, but a couple of clear observations:
- Despite having the same drivetrains, a M3P is significantly faster than a MYP.
- Although you sit much higher up in the MYP, it still feels its low CoG and is a pleasure to scoot around in.
- The M3P felt really good to me. Noticeably better brake feel and yet rode as well as my RWD (it was running 40-41psi, so a few psi down on mine).

For me, it would 100% be the M3P over the MYP, but then we're looking at getting a Model Y (RWD) next year anyway, so practicality isn't a factor.

However the highlight of the day: the staff took me and my lad out in a Model S Plaid (tri-motor 1020bhp). And yes, we launched it in full 'drag strip' mode. I was holding my phone up to video, knowing it would be brutal, but still came close to smacking myself in the head when he released the brakes. But you know what else impressed - the refinement. Very smooth, quiet and with little road or suspension noise and zero rattles. A very impressive bit of kit!
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
cramsnik438.50
Nibbles894.00
Watsey6462.50
JustChris17634.50
G50966.50
      11-06-2023, 05:03 AM   #1975
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant_7 View Post
However the highlight of the day: the staff took me and my lad out in a Model S Plaid (tri-motor 1020bhp).
Real shame the new S/X are LHD only. Totally pointless amount of Powerrrr in a family car but I really would find it hard to turn one down as a replacement to our soon out of battery/motor warranty X.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17634.50
      11-06-2023, 07:59 AM   #1976
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
Real shame the new S/X are LHD only. Totally pointless amount of Powerrrr in a family car but I really would find it hard to turn one down as a replacement to our soon out of battery/motor warranty X.
Agreed. I also believe there is a Tesla offer at the moment to transfer your FOC SC from your current X.

Nice write up and pics, thanks Grant_7 a thread on topic, whatever next!!
      01-20-2024, 02:56 AM   #1977
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

One for the Tesla owners in case you ever get similar issues.

For a couple of months I have had intermittent, and worsening, issues with premium connectivity (ie music connection dies). Usually after 5-15 minutes the connectivity would return. Also lost supercharger access, which Tesla support fixed remotely.

After repeatedly fiddling with payment options and rebooting the screen, I finally had a lightbulb moment.

The issues had worsened significantly when I went to having two phones with VPN enabled as keys, as opposed to one with and one without.

Disabled surf shark on my iPhone 15PM, which I had made primary key, and the premium connectivity issues were resolved.

I can’t pretend to understand why the phone’s VPN should interfere with the car which has its own cellular connection, but apparently it does. VPN was set to UK btw.

Appreciate 3
JustChris17634.50
Grant_72088.00
Wills28729.00
      01-20-2024, 05:35 PM   #1978
cramsnik
Crustacean denier
Rep

Quote:
One for the Tesla owners in case you ever get similar issues.

For a couple of months I have had intermittent, and worsening, issues with premium connectivity (ie music connection dies). Usually after 5-15 minutes the connectivity would return. Also lost supercharger access, which Tesla support fixed remotely.

After repeatedly fiddling with payment options and rebooting the screen, I finally had a lightbulb moment.

The issues had worsened significantly when I went to having two phones with VPN enabled as keys, as opposed to one with and one without.

Disabled surf shark on my iPhone 15PM, which I had made primary key, and the premium connectivity issues were resolved.

I can’t pretend to understand why the phone’s VPN should interfere with the car which has its own cellular connection, but apparently it does. VPN was set to UK btw.
There's been all sorts of problems with PC for some users for a few weeks going back to late November at least, you think this might have also been affecting you in some way, coincidence?

Thread here via TMC - https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thre...issues.317868/

It's also well documented on the Facebook group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/tesl...9797617933753/
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2024, 09:22 AM   #1979
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramsnik View Post
There's been all sorts of problems with PC for some users for a few weeks going back to late November at least, you think this might have also been affecting you in some way, coincidence?

Thread here via TMC - https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thre...issues.317868/

It's also well documented on the Facebook group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/tesl...9797617933753/
Interesting. November coincides with when i got my Iphone 15. Resolution was definitely when I turned off VPN though. It has not occurred in a couple of weeks since.

Mine would consistently play one song as I left the house and then no more, for a slightly random period of time. Once back playing it was usually fine again until the next start.

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2024, 12:21 PM   #1980
cramsnik
Crustacean denier
Rep

Quote:
Interesting. November coincides with when i got my Iphone 15. Resolution was definitely when I turned off VPN though. It has not occurred in a couple of weeks since.

Mine would consistently play one song as I left the house and then no more, for a slightly random period of time. Once back playing it was usually fine again until the next start.
No worries, just a thought. My car lost DAB reception overnight, car thought it was playing any given radio station but no sound through the speakers, however Spotify and bluetooth came through fine. Managed to fix it with the trusty two button reboot. Thankfully, this time I didn't lose all my favourite destinations!
Appreciate 1