F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 335XD Different Suspension Heights
Extreme Powerhouse

03-21-2019, 05:05 PM   #1
xpro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335XD

335XD Different Suspension Heights

Doing some heavy thinking about upgrading the 335d suspension as I find it way to wobbly and bouncy on the road.

Im in two minds between just getting a set of springs, either Eibach or ACS,s or go with B6/Eibach combo.

If the springs will add some tension and stiffen the drive, I would probably be just happy as its for road use only.

If anyone here runs either Eibach or ACS springs, would you be able to do me a favour and measure the front and rear wheels to arch height, so I can do some comparisons.

I heard ACS are a tad lower then Eibachs, but then people say they are the same??

Anyway, for reference and height measurement purposes, BMW use a tape and measure from bottom of the alloy lip to lower edge of the arch.

For RWD F30 Msport low slung suspension it should be around 625mm and for XDrive model 641mm ( front axle and based on 19" alloys ) about 15mm in difference. Quite a lot I think.

Thanks for the help!

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 02:01 PM   #2
xpro
Lieutenant
Rep

Anyone please that could take a measurement as above with ACS or Eibach springs? Thank You
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 08:29 PM   #3
bishbosh
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Garage List
2014 BMW 335d  [0.00]
On a 335d Eibach sit about 20 mm lower at the front and 15mm at the back compared to the stock se suspension. That's not a huge drop by any means, on my e91 se the drop was 30mm and I didn't have any issues with speed humps, etc.

Rwd m sport sits lower than the 335d which is normal because of the se suspension in the 335d.

Agree that it's too bouncy on the road which is why soon I'll be fitting a B12 kit.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 12:17 AM   #4
335d Rocco
Major
England
Rep
Drives: G01 BMW X3 30d M Sport Plus

Garage List
I’ve fitted ACS springs to my 335d, well worth doing imo
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 03:24 PM   #5
xpro
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishbosh View Post
On a 335d Eibach sit about 20 mm lower at the front and 15mm at the back compared to the stock se suspension. That's not a huge drop by any means, on my e91 se the drop was 30mm and I didn't have any issues with speed humps, etc.

Rwd m sport sits lower than the 335d which is normal because of the se suspension in the 335d.

Agree that it's too bouncy on the road which is why soon I'll be fitting a B12 kit.
The B12's would probably be an overkill for me, for road use anyways.

I'd look into B6's aswell, probably better suited for road use, just need to find the spring combo.

I remember back in the day when I had a few Lancer Evolutions, they all came stock with B6 suspension, and they were great shock, mildly stiff and handled great.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 03:46 PM   #6
cheesetoastie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335D

I put eibach on my xdrive massive difference in road grip even on runflats
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 04:09 AM   #7
Stainy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435d Xdrive

If you go with just springs (and don't drive like Miss Daisy) do yourself a favour and modify the bumpstops and/or use the M3 bumpstops (do a search)

If you can wait until Friday, mine should have been fitted with the B8 kit (after the recent debacle of sending the wrong items!). I'll put a few miles on and do a quick review - can't bloody wait!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 04:32 AM   #8
xpro
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainy View Post
If you go with just springs (and don't drive like Miss Daisy) do yourself a favour and modify the bumpstops and/or use the M3 bumpstops (do a search)

If you can wait until Friday, mine should have been fitted with the B8 kit (after the recent debacle of sending the wrong items!). I'll put a few miles on and do a quick review - can't bloody wait!
I heard people saying about bump stops, but whats wrong with factory bump stops? They should still fit fine?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 04:49 AM   #9
bishbosh
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpro View Post
The B12's would probably be an overkill for me, for road use anyways.

I'd look into B6's aswell, probably better suited for road use, just need to find the spring combo.

I remember back in the day when I had a few Lancer Evolutions, they all came stock with B6 suspension, and they were great shock, mildly stiff and handled great.
The B12 kit consists of Eibach springs and matched B8 dampers (which are about 2cm shorter than B6 shocks). The problem with fitting only springs is that while the car has a flatter stance on corners and under braking/accelerating, the original soft dampers can't really cope with the upgraded springs. They'll still work, just not as well as dampers matched to the different spring rate.
      03-26-2019, 05:41 AM   #10
g9icy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe MSport

Had ACS springs on mine for a few weeks now and love it.

The car is significantly less "bobbly" and feels just a smidge more planted. To be honest it feels like it should have been from the factory. If you have adaptive, I'd probably argue that just the springs are enough. Also ACS have a warranty...not sure about Eibach.

The added bonus is the cars stance is so much better now.

I tested a 335d touring with both the ACS springs and dampers and it was even better again, but I couldn't justify the £2k cost for both, and would have lost adaptive (which some argue is fine...but I like it).

Apparently the spring rate for the ACS springs is the same as the old ones, but I'm not an expert on that.

I'd also look to getting rid of the run flats. I have MPS4Ss now and there's significantly less road noise and it's nowhere near as "crashy"/hard over bumps. I can drive over speed bumps at the actual speed limit now!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 12:26 PM   #11
Lorcan
The artist formerly known as AC Schnitzer UK
Rep
Drives: The Yellow Peril

Quote:
Anyway, for reference and height measurement purposes, BMW use a tape and measure from bottom of the alloy lip to lower edge of the arch.
An easier way would be to measure would be from the middle of the centre cap to the wheel arch, that way the measurement won't be affected by the wheel diameter. I don't encourage measurement taking though, as a) most owners don't have a flat and level surface to measure on and b) you'll find out that your car is lower on the right than the left which can cause tears before bedtime (and you won't know which measurement to use)

AC Schnitzer springs on a 335d are around 20-25mm lower front and back. Eibach springs are a little less low at the back, around 15-20mm.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 07:25 PM   #12
Stainy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I heard people saying about bump stops, but whats wrong with factory bump stops? They should still fit fine?
Factory bump stops with the standard dampers are too long. Some people have successfully cut them down (as mine are temporarily, awaiting the B8's). Others have fit the earlier M3 bump stops with good results.

In short, the standard dampers with stiffer/shorter springs aren't ideal
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 02:21 AM   #13
xpro
Lieutenant
Rep

Anyone have a number for M3 bump stops? And is it only front ot back that arw required? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 04:31 AM   #14
Lorcan
Rep

Both AC Schnitzer and Eibach springs are developed for use with the standard bump stops. The bump stops make up part of the spring rate, no modification is required.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 03:46 AM   #15
Stainy
Lieutenant
Rep

The B8's are now on my car (along with the springs I changed some time ago). Oh....my....god! The difference is night and day

Springs alone feel so much better than stock XDrive suspension, but for those of you that have gone just springs, trust me, the Dampers make it better than the springs....times about 3!

There's a country road near me which totally unsettled the car at speed (straight line) due to undulations. On standard setup, it was a near death experience I hadn't had in my last car. New springs were better, but the whole car would start oscillating and I had to drive it to stay on the road. With the spring and damper combo, it's just rock steady!

If you haven't modded yet and are going to the trouble of paying someone to take the springs off - buy the dampers and do them at the same time. You won't regret it!.

My only issue now is that it's so bloody good, I experienced brake fade (yeah, I was enjoying myself!)

Bigger review, on the correct post to follow
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 04:12 AM   #16
bishbosh
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
The B8's are now on my car (along with the springs I changed some time ago). Oh....my....god! The difference is night and day

Springs alone feel so much better than stock XDrive suspension, but for those of you that have gone just springs, trust me, the Dampers make it better than the springs....times about 3!

There's a country road near me which totally unsettled the car at speed (straight line) due to undulations. On standard setup, it was a near death experience I hadn't had in my last car. New springs were better, but the whole car would start oscillating and I had to drive it to stay on the road. With the spring and damper combo, it's just rock steady!

If you haven't modded yet and are going to the trouble of paying someone to take the springs off - buy the dampers and do them at the same time. You won't regret it!.

My only issue now is that it's so bloody good, I experienced brake fade (yeah, I was enjoying myself!)

Bigger review, on the correct post to follow
Which springs do you have? I fitted a Bilstein B12 kit last weekend and know what you mean about the handling transformation! It's like driving a different car.
      03-29-2019, 04:14 AM   #17
xpro
Lieutenant
Rep

Nice one dude!! Get some photos up please. And did you go with eibach or ASC springs with B8’s?

I think Im going to bite the bullet and go for B6’s and ASC’s.

@Lorcan. Could you please pm me the price? Cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 04:39 AM   #18
Lorcan
Rep

The springs are £338.48 inc vat. No need for a PM, it's not a secret
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 09:12 AM   #19
Stainy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishbosh View Post
Which springs do you have? I fitted a Bilstein B12 kit last weekend and know what you mean about the handling transformation! It's like driving a different car.

I don't do anything mainstream - I noticed that lads across the pond were using Vogtland springs and saying good things - they are also cheaper than all the 'usual' stuff whilst still being quality items made in Germany. I thought f*ck it, worst that can happen is I need to buy more springs......(2nd - after the B8's) best decision I ever made. They are great !
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 01:26 PM   #20
wlegge
Private
Rep
Drives: 435d X-Drive

Quote:
I don't do anything mainstream - I noticed that lads across the pond were using Vogtland springs and saying good things - they are also cheaper than all the 'usual' stuff whilst still being quality items made in Germany. I thought f*ck it, worst that can happen is I need to buy more springs......(2nd - after the B8's) best decision I ever made. They are great !
Interesting stuff - sounds like a route I might go down. What sort of cost and where did you get the springs and dampers?

Compared to the stock 435d (stock springs and dampers), how much harder is it? I don't want something that will shake my fillings out!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 03:36 AM   #21
Stainy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlegge View Post
Interesting stuff - sounds like a route I might go down. What sort of cost and where did you get the springs and dampers?

Compared to the stock 435d (stock springs and dampers), how much harder is it? I don't want something that will shake my fillings out!
Oh, it's firmer, but for me that's the price you pay for proper handling. I don't personally find it too harsh, though that's subjective (I've had sports cars most of my life), but if you spend all day going over speed bumps, this probably isn't the mod for you. Fast A/B roads however....

Price was £130 for the springs (I think from Demontweeks, but I bought them last year). The dampers were £560 and there are no B8 fronts in stock anywhere in Europe, so I had B6's modified to B8 specs, but B6's would probably do you in any case.

Fitting and alignment would have been £200 had I not had the spings done separately first. Then had an issue with Bilstein sending the wrong parts. As it happens, I ended up spending quite a bit more on labour; which I'm still awaiting a solution. Bilstein haven't yet won my favour as a company, but product is good and the reseller I got them from was first class - Julian at BalanceMotorsport knows his stuff.

So it should have been £900 all in, if done at the same time - and for that, I can't recommend it enough
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 12:08 PM   #22
Stepho
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Does anyone have pictures with the ACS springs/dampers fitted to a.F30 335d as this is something I'm looking at. I've seen the H&R kit which I think sits perfectly but had these on my M140 and found them harsh. I preferred the Eibach springs as found them more comfy, but ride height wasn't as good.

Also where will I find a dealer selling ACS springs?

TIA
Appreciate 0