F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Gas smell inside the cabin?
Extreme Powerhouse

02-26-2017, 10:22 AM   #1
Chris@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: AW F30 328i Xdrive

Gas smell inside the cabin?

a little backstory..

My car has been suffering from random stutter/misfire issues for a week or so.
Removed my JB4 last week to see if it fixed the issue which it didnt. So three days ago i changed out my spark plugs and coil pack and left the foam pad and engine cover off since i was a bit late for an event i needed to go to.

spark plugs and coil packs fixed my stutter/misfire issue but last night i started noticing that after i warm up my engine and get into the car, i am smelling gas fumes from inside the cabin. I don't warm up the car for long, usually i just start up the car, have a smoke and get back in and drive off (its cold up here). While i am driving, there is no smell of gas at all but if im sitting at a traffic light for a long period of time, the gas smell will creep back in.

after i got home, i opened the hood with the engine running and i can smell very faint scent gas coming from around the area of cylinder 2 or 3. I tightened down all the nuts holding from the fuel rails to the injectors but i am still able to smell some gas coming from that area. Keep in mind that i am only using my nose at this point to try to pinpoint where the smell is coming from. I do not see any gas dripping or pooling up anywhere. With the engine off i dont smell any gas at all.

What is really interesting is this morning, i put the foam pad and cover back on the engine and did my same warm up routine, but now i am no longer smelling gas fumes in the car..

This is the first time i have run the car without the foam pad and engine cover but I'm not sure if this is normal...

has this ever happened to anyone before?
any suggestions on what to check?

my car is about to hit 100k KMs if that make any difference

Thanks

Last edited by Chris@codemybimmer; 02-26-2017 at 10:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 03:27 PM   #2
integuy98
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 535i

Bringing this back from the dead. My 535i (N55 engine) is experiencing the same thing. Just changed the spark plugs, but screwed up a bit and am waiting on 2 more replacements. Been driving around without the engine cover shrouding, and have noticed the gas smell in the car. Haven't put the cover back on to see if it fixes the problems, but curious if anyone else has some thoughts.
Appreciate 0